Just returned from 2 weeks here can't say a bad word about it.
Hotel is huge there is a map showing you the full area, lobby is open plan but sheltered the dining room, theatre and sports bar lead off from here. Rooms are very clean and spacious, yes there a little dated but who spends there holiday in the room? Shower is powerful so it's lovely after a day at the beach. Food is amazing and of course it's a little repetitive they can't have a new menu for 365 days a year! Breakfast is anything from cereal, cheese, yoghurt, pancakes, full English, fruit, pastries (cinnamon buns are lovely) and an omelette station where they will make it to your request. Lunch is served in the pool restaurant, mainly pizza, pasta, chips, salad and then the evenings in the main restaurant they have themed nights so it depends on the theme the only one we found a little disappointing was the Mexican theme but still plenty of choice. The pool is lovely,refreshing when its hot, we tended to stay around the other side away from the pool bar as 1) the sun seemed to hit it first and 2) the pool bar was mainly full of loud idiots and despite us being a young couple was still annoying. Loungers aren't a problem you can get one no matter what time you go to the pool only thing you might find you won't necessarily get one in the sun on a hot day but you can move them around. They ask you not to reserve them but people did. The entertainment was fantastic on an evening if it was your kind of scene. There was a horror show, Las Vegas, Mamma Mia, Michael Jackson etc etc some are performed by the hotels entertainment team and others are brought in. They always did a kids part, then a ice breaker where they get members of the audience to participate and then the main show which usually finishes at 10.30pm. The staff are very friendly always saying "hola" no matter who they are and they work their backsides off daily, can't do enough for you. We did a few excursions through Thomson, the snorkelling adventure which was good but weather wasn't the best so visibility was poor and it was choppy waters, swimming with dolphins which was just amazing it is a must if you have never done it before, coco bongo which again is a massive must,gold member ticket and make your own way there in a taxi (only costs 90 pesos) then you can go early (10ish) and be front of the queue for the best seats, paradise island was our last day and to be honest I don't think it is worth the money. We didn't have the best weather as it was and there is nothing to do once your there, the facilities aren't clean and if it rains there isn't much shelter at all. We did go to Akumel which is where you can swim with the sea turtles, we made our own way there by getting a taxi to playa del Carmen (70 pesos) and a bus to Akumel (35 pesos). You can hire snorkelling equipment for the full day (153 pesos for 2) and it's much better then going out with a guide as you can do it in your own time might take a good look to find them but once you spot one you start to spot them all. The food was nice in the beach bar as well just remember America = HUGE portions. There are plenty of animals at the hotel and they don't bother you unless you feed them or have food and drink near you and they are cheeky and will take it off you, be prepared if you feed one hoards appear from nowhere and will follow you.
All in all I cannot wait to go back this is definitely the best hotel to make you feel like your in Mexico, despite the others being refurbished or modern, you could be anywhere with the Tequilla you know your in Mexico!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Within the resort area Playacar along with the hotels Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar * Main building and 1-story buildings * Surrounded by 48,000 m2 / 57,600 sq. Yards of lush gardens * 800 m / 2,650 ft. From the beach (complimentary shuttle) * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 300 m / 990 ft. From Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int'l Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Tequila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Tequila Hotel
- Riu Tequila Mexico
- Hotel Riu Tequila
- Riu Tequila Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Tequila
- ClubHotel Riu Tequila Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen