“A wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #46 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“A wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Had a wonderful time. Lovely people, animation team very good. Food tasty. Very beautiful at Christmas.
But the location is a bit far from the beach, luckily there is a car that can take you there. The territory is very big so it feels like forever until you get from your room to the lobby.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Elena B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,296)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

My family and I have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Tequila(kids age 9,15,21).It was our first time in Mexico so went with an open mind.This hotel is so well run like a well oiled machine.The mexican staff are so friendly and helpful and work so hard to keep the place spotless.The rooms are very clean and towels and bedding changed daily,my only negative is there is no bath,only a shower and I do like a long soak!The fridge is stocked daily with drinks of your choice.It would have been nice to have tea and coffee making facilities in the room but you can always pop down to the sports bar anytime of day or night and get a hot drink.The breakfast was amazing but Ive got to admit my family and I struggled at the evening meal to find something English to eat(we dont care for spicey food!).I tried carrots one night only to find they were cooked in cinnamon!!So as a result I have survived on pasta,pizza and salad and the kids ate chips,burger and nuggets which were always on offer no matter what the theme was.Also the soups were pretty nice most nights.The beach is only a five minute walk from the hotel and I have to say it is just beautiful,the colour of the ocean is breath taking!There are always plenty of sunbeds at the beach if you went before lunch but not the case by the pool!Too many people are reserving beds from early morning and this caused quite a bit of tension as there are just not enough beds to accomodate the amount of guests.The town of Playacar is apx 40 minute walk but is worth it if you like shopping as there are a good selection of shops both designer,high street and mexican souvenier shops.Be careful of the taxis as they do try to rip you off if you aren't aware of what the prices should be.You have to agree a price before you get in!A fair price into town is 90 pesos but we payed as little as 70 to get back home.Also a few miles away is a small retail park called "Centro Mayo" which is worth a visit as there is a bowling alley and cinema which we visited one night just for a change.They show a few films in English and it cost us less than a tenner for the five of us!We were able to walk home from here in about half an hour but you do have to cross the main motorway to get back into the hotel zone.We booked 4 trips with Thomson,pirate night,Chitchen Itza,and Xcaret park.The pirate night was brilliant and enjoyed by all of my family from the youngest to the oldest.The trip to Chitchen Itza was really good,a long day as you depart at 5.30am but its worth it as you get there first.You are provided with pastries and drinks on the coach for breakfast and stop off for a nice lunch where you also get the opportunity to swim in an underground river.A lovely experience once you get use to the cold water!!The Xcaret park wasnt good value for money as it cost us £90 each and apart from the underground river to swim in and the beach area there wasn't much to do.A few animals scattered around but not a patch on seaworld in Florida!Compared to the Yukatan I think the Tequila is way nicer as it feels so Mexican and traditional.Everything about the hotel is fabulous but the lack of English tasting food would put me off staying here again.But if you like a wide range of dishes and enjoy foreign food then you'll love it.

Room Tip: If you stay on the second floor you wont get pestered by the wild racoon creatures looking for food!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Julieb695
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

We have just returned from a truly wonderful stay at this hotel..everything was just perfect ,the check in so quick staff so lovely helpful nothing too much trouble. Food very good good choice..the Thomson reps brilliant Jamie soooooo good ..we would ---will tell every body to go here for super vacation ..Mexico we will be back very soon

Room Tip: We were in room 2141at the back lovely and quiet
Hemel Hempstead
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I read many reviews beforehand and the picture you get from the majority of them is pretty accurate. The hotel has a very good feel to it being in nice grounds that are well kept. The Yucatan Hotel across the road is more modern, but although its very clean it is also a lot more bland then the Tequila.

The friendliness of the staff at the Tequila is a major plus, probably the best I have encountered on all my holidays. Reception, restaurant staff, gardeners, cleaners, entertainment staff, bar staff and everybody else are pretty faultless. I would make a special mention of the bar staff who are so fast, efficient and friendly. You get served so quickly and even when you are being served one of the other bar staff is usually checking to see if you are being seen to.

The entertainment team work hard and put on shows in the evening which show off their talent. Most of the routines are around excellent dancing, which is not necessarily my favourite thing, but I cant deny that most people really enjoy it and the tables are always packed.

The only negative thing is that it all takes a while to get going, with the time before 9-30 given over to children and audience participation games. During these it was apparent that the microphones and PA system weren't really up to scratch, especially if you are anywhere near the back. Rather bizarrely there are also a few small trees blocking some peoples view if they are over half way back. Nevertheless quite a few people come into the hotel from the other hotels in the vicinity. The entertainment team are undoubtedly good and often came round after the show to ask if you enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the 5 minute walk to the beach, but you can get a lift in the shuttle if you don't fancy it. Our party went to the beach most days and it goes on forever and is very pleasant, if a bit crowded, with all the hotels having a multitude of free sunbeds for their patrons. As a Riu Tequila guest you can use the facilities, including sunbeds (the green ones), the bars and lunch restaurants at the Yucatan (very busy at lunchtime) or the Playacar which is quieter.

We ate in the buffet restaurant on all but 2 days and there is plenty to choose from, although I did get a bit maxed out on buffet food after our 3 week stay. Considering the number that they are catering for they do a really good job and you'd have to be a bit picky to moan about it. Staff are always on hand to greet you as you go in and Bucks Fizz is served at breakfast on Sunday. One word of caution - the wine is pretty ordinary, but that didn't stop us.

Had one night each at the Steak Restaurant and the Asian Restaurant, both were ok without being exceptional. The Asian is pretty much chinese type food and its self service, which it has to be, with all the varieties of dishes. You have waiter service in the Steak restaurant.

We booked a couple of trips from the little shopping complex almost opposite the Playacar hotel, which was cheaper than Thomson, although its best to barter a bit. We went to Tulum and Coba on one trip and to the Isle of Contoy on another. Both were ok.

We went to Playa Del Carmen 3 times, walked there, taxi back which was 70 pesos (£3-50). The main street (5th Avenue) is a long strip of shops and restaurants where everything is priced in US dollars. There is a ferry to the island of Cozumel from Playa Del Carmen that goes about every hour at peak times. I think It costs about 13 US dollars each way, although I didn't go there.

The worst part of the holiday was the return trip. The Thomson Dreamliner which was scheduled to arrive on the inboard leg, which we were due to fly back on, was delayed by a technical problem at Gatwick for just over 3 and a half hours. We were first of all told by the Thomson reps that they thought it was because of snow ! A quick check on the internet proved this to be incorrect. The next we heard was that we were going to be transferred to another hotel for an overnight stay as the flight was not going back that day. No reason was given.

At about 2pm local time we left for the hotel that they were transferring us to. At this stage they said that the latest information that they had was that the aircraft was still at Gatwick. Again several of us checked the internet and quickly found out that the aircraft had left some hours earlier, albeit 3 hours and 35 minutes late. The lack of information was pretty hopeless, with guests knowing more than the Thomson reps !

After our overnight stay at the Moon Palace Hotel at Cancun, when the coach arrived to take us to the airport at 10-30am we were told that the Dreamliner aircraft had been replaced by a 767. We finally boarded the aircraft and took off 21 hours and 42 minutes after our scheduled departure time. The pilot apologised profusely for the lack of information we had been given and then filled us in with the details. The technical problem at Gatwick caused them to swap aircraft and leave late, and the initial 3 hour 35 minute delay turned into a 21 hour 42 minute delay for us, as there was no crew available to fly the 767 at Cancun until the crew that brought it out had rested for the minimum time.

It just shows that Thomson have no built in contingency plans for coping with any delays on this Dreamliner schedule. A 3 hour 35 minute delay should not result in a one day delay. I can only assume that the crew scheduled to fly the Dreamliner back from Cancun were not qualified to fly a 767. Either that or they just don't have enough crews to cope with fairly routine problems.

A great holiday but a horrible end to it. It has made me very wary about booking with Thomson again.

Room Tip: The room locations all look ok to me. We were in one of the furthest from the restaurant (2209) but...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PompeyMike
Gateshead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at Riu Yucatan before it was renovated and were very happy with it and if you liked the Mexican feel the Tequila is for you although I believe they are going to renovate all the hotels eventually.
The rooms are very clean and have good irons, hair dryer typical blaster type, optics with rum,tequila, gin & whiskey and the mini bar is filled everyday with beer, soft drinks, Canada Dry etc. There is also plenty of coat hangers and flat screen TV, we took a kettle and coffee etc but not really worth it as you can get lovely coffee or tea any time during the day, we usually waited till we came off the beach and got a coffee to take back to the room with either a couple of pieces of pizza or a cake. I took a curling brush but as it was a higher voltage I could have curled my hair quicker myself I would say that if you don't have the correct voltage I wouldn't bother. Two pronged flat plugs are what you need for the rooms. You also get a safe deposit in your room which is free of charge.
The food is very good, lots of choice and if you want to go the specialist restaurants, steak house or Asian you are not limited to the number of times you can go, we only tried the steak house it was OK but not as nice as the main buffet . We stayed with the same waiter , Jeremiah who couldn't do enough for you and had our table ready for 6 of us when he saw you walking in. We didn't tip until the end so his manner was genuine and not just to get a tip.
The animation team are brilliant, they work so hard and the shows are well worth seeing, they are always full and you can sometimes struggle to get a seat, I think this is because the other Riu hotels entertainment isn't as good and they go to the Riu, definitely go to see Grease which was brilliant.
Although you are not directly on the beach you are a five minute walk away or you can get the trolley bus which runs every ten mins, the beach is fab and you can always get a sunbed.
The coaties are so cute' they don't really bother you although they are little bandits they wouldn't bother the folk if they didn't leave drinks and food round their beds.
Finally I do have one complaint about The Thomson rep Mark I asked him to arrange an ash cloud for our last day so that we would be able to stay longer - and he didn't deliver!!

Room Tip: I would ask for lower numbered rooms if you are not so agile as we were in block 12 and it is quite...
9 Thank ValerieAW1
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I want to first say I am not the biggest fan of resorts, I have stayed at a Top Notch one right before this Mexico trip and I love being able to be around non tourist. However this is a nice affordable place to stay. I brought my wife and 2yr old child and it was clean, service Excellent, food was good with plenty of options. The room we had was a standard room and nice just not Posh which I had just did in Mobay Jamaica few months prior. I am sure you could pay for an Executive suite but this was just a quick week trip to get away from Texas. They made going to the Pyramids easy and affordable. The only negative I could say about this was we were checking out early in the morning and the clerk forced us to pay $50 for not returning towel cards which are plastic cards identical to room key cards. I told the clerk I had one but the other was probably in the room. He said it was going to be $75 or we couldn't check out without him calling the police. I won't return to a Riu hotel if you are threatened with calling the police. Our Taxi cab driver was told by the man if we didn't pay he wasn't going to be let off the property. So instead of going to the police station and missing our flight I paid the money.

Room Tip: Get a suite live it up
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KELLENKASH
Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

My friend and I have just returned from a two week stay at the Club hotel Riu Tequila in Playacar.
It was our first visit to Mexico and naturally didn't know what to expect after reading various and varying reviews.
However we were far from disappointed with anything ,and can say it is the best holiday and hotel we have stayed in.
From arriving to departing we found that nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff from all disciplines who always all looked very clean and smart in their various uniforms and always cheerful.
The room was big and the bed was extremely comfortable with linen changed every day.with charming towel art on the beds.. The mini bar was well stocked and checked on a daily basis and drinks replaced if required which was also included in the all-inclusive price. Other hotels I have stayed at have always charged extra if the mini bar is used.
The animation teams work extremely hard all day then go on to present some of the best shows in the evening. How they do it I don't know !.
The food in the main restaurant was very good with a good and plentiful selection of dishes including theme nights, so we didn't try the steak or Asian restaurants as this particular restaurant met our own particular needs. I must mention Jeremiah who was our waiter throughout our stay and he is one of the most charming and cheerful young men we have ever met. He seemed to appear with our drinks before we had even sat down !!.
We spent our time by the pool or on the beach, the quietest beach being at the Playacar which is just a five minute walk.and where the waiters come round on the beach offering cooling drinks, either soft or boozy !
If you stay by the pool, I suggest you have a bag with a zip and keep it shut, as the little creature like racoons will try and get into them especially if you have any food or sweets in them, but they are easily shooed away.Watch your drinks on the floor as well !.
The trips to Chichen Itza and Coba were worthwhile which we booked through our Thomsons rep.Although an early start to Chichen Itza it is worth it as you arrive and see the site while it is relatively cool and before the big crowds arrive which happened to be when we were leaving the site. The same for Coba although the journey is shorter to get there. I think if booked through cheaper local firms they may go later when it is hot and crowded. Although it may be a bit more expensive booking through your rep, I feel they have got it right as it was more comfortable doing that way and also we were not rushed around the sites.
All in all we had a great holiday and are hoping to return to the same hotel next year.

4 Thank Linda L
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#52 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,605 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!