My wife and I have just got back from a two week stay at this resort. There is nothing that can be faulted. A beautiful beach, although the sea was a bit rough so swimming was difficult, but fine for "playing" !! The beach is around a 5 minute walk away from the Hotel, but there is a regular free shuttle to the beach. In the two weeks we never had a problem finding a sun bed at the beach, but people do move your towel at the pool. Twice we heard people complaining that their towels had been moved and someone else had their sunbed.The Riu Tequila beach bar closes at 3, but you are able to use the pool bar at the Riu Yucatán, which is less than 50 yards away, so it is no problem.
There is a huge selection of food at the main restaurant, and it would be impossible not to find something that you like. All of the hotel staff are very friendly and helpful and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. I cannot understand the comment made by one contributor about wanting two entrees. Why would anyone want two entrees on a seven course meal ???
The entertainment staff put a lot of effort into their evening shows, and are of a better standard than similar types of show that we have seen at other resorts. It has to be remembered that they are catering for many different languages and they have to find a formula that works for everyone, and I feel that they successfully achieved that.The entertainment was, however, sometimes spoiled by very loud people at the bar, who had clearly had too much to drink, and quite frankly are old enough to know better. Why do they have to talk so loudly at each other when they are only a couple of feet apart. Not everyone wants to know what a great time they are having
I agree with the comments about the Yucutan, the reception is too bright and too glitzy, we called it the pink palace, updating does not always work and it definitely does not work there. I also hope that the Riu Tequila does not go down that route.
The air conditioning in our room was not as cold as we would have liked. We called an engineer to look at it and he tested it and it showed that the air was coming out at 20.9 degrees, (70F), which, he said, was correct.
I have to mention all of the wildlife that are there, Coatis, (with a tail) and Agoutis (without a tail). as well as the colourful birds. I just wish that people would read the signs that say "do not feed the wildlife". They are wild animals it would be nice if they could stay that way. There is plenty of natural food about without being given bread, cakes etc. just so that someone can take a photo !!
I cannot finish this review without mentioning the Thomson reps, Kirsty, Jamie, Kia and Meredith (apologies if I have missed anyone out). They are without a shadow of doubt the best reps. that we have ever known. They were always happy and welcoming and went out of their way to meet any requests. Nothing was too much trouble for them and I hope that Thomson are aware just how good this team are. If you are going to see them Kirsty asked me to mention that they all like chocolate !!
All in all a very good holiday , and excellent value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Within the resort area Playacar along with the hotels Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar * Main building and 1-story buildings * Surrounded by 48,000 m2 / 57,600 sq. Yards of lush gardens * 800 m / 2,650 ft. From the beach (complimentary shuttle) * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 300 m / 990 ft. From Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int'l Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Tequila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Tequila Hotel
- Riu Tequila Mexico
- Hotel Riu Tequila
- Riu Tequila Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Tequila
- ClubHotel Riu Tequila Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen