Went to Riu Tequilla for spring break with my daughter for 4 days. Overall, the property is very nice. I noticed the workers make sure the public and private areas stay exceptionally clean. Everyone there was very friendly and nice, but the two main problems I encountered were the poor English skills of the workers, including the front desk workers, and the internet connections. My main issue was that they say you have free 90 minutes of internet per day per device in the lobby. Well, I needed plug my computer in, and when I did that in the lobby at 6 am and connected to the internet, my computer died after 5 minutes. Went to the desk to see if they could reset it b/c the power outlet on the wall may not have worked, and after struggling to get my point across due to Spanish/English issues, I was told there was no power to the outlets in the lobby at that time of day! Would have been nice to know. And they had no way to rest the 90 minutes. Was told to go to sports bar next day b/c they have outlets working near their pay computers. Did that, but there was no free internet there. Finally found the area between the lobby and the stage area on the way to the sports bar that had a working power outlet AND a fair internet connection if you sit with a view through to the lobby. So FYI, walk out the lobby to the sports bar, and just to the left of the door on the way out on the wall is an outlet you can use with plenty of seating. Second day I tried to do this it worked, but then it cut me off after 30 minutes saying my 90 minutes was up. So beware if you absolutely NEED to use the internet. Take your own WiFi. When I asked about the paid in room WiFi I was told it was $10/hour and you only got one hour/day. Or that is what I think I understood from the poor communications.
Otherwise, the rooms are nice, clean with 2 large beds in each. Pretty comfortable but not luxurious. We were in the back of the property in room 2007. If you don’t want to walk a very long distance to dinner, and then the additional long walk to beach, be sure to ask for a room closer to front of property. The walks are nice, but after a few days you will get tired of them. I knew about the hotel being across the street from the beach, but if I knew it was as long as it was, I would have stayed at one of the Riu properties across the street that were on the beach. I like to walk the beach in the mornings, and the walk from my room to the beach was about 15 minutes and I do walk fast. Also, they do not open the gates to the throughway to the beach until 7, so if you want to get to the beach super early for a sunrise, you must walk through the Yucatan to the right of the walkway.
Food was ok. Plenty of it with lots of variety, but it was food made for quantity rather than quality. You get what you pay for in this price range of all inclusive. The Asian restaurant was actually very good. We preferred that over the regular buffet. Loved the juice/smoothie bar in the mornings. Drinks were plentiful and tasty. Bars were never overcrowded. Always got a drink in just a minute or two. Wine selection was just the house wine which was awful. Asked if there was a better brand available but not one bartender understood me.
Overall, a very nice stay at a midrange all inclusive with a very tropical feel. Just be prepared to walk a lot and take your own Wifi. And maybe learn a little Spanish before you go!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Within the resort area Playacar along with the hotels Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar * Main building and 1-story buildings * Surrounded by 48,000 m2 / 57,600 sq. Yards of lush gardens * 800 m / 2,650 ft. From the beach (complimentary shuttle) * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 300 m / 990 ft. From Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int'l Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Tequila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Tequila Hotel
- Riu Tequila Mexico
- Hotel Riu Tequila
- Riu Tequila Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Tequila
- ClubHotel Riu Tequila Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen