“Internet and Language”

Ranked #47 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
mississippi
“Internet and Language”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Went to Riu Tequilla for spring break with my daughter for 4 days. Overall, the property is very nice. I noticed the workers make sure the public and private areas stay exceptionally clean. Everyone there was very friendly and nice, but the two main problems I encountered were the poor English skills of the workers, including the front desk workers, and the internet connections. My main issue was that they say you have free 90 minutes of internet per day per device in the lobby. Well, I needed plug my computer in, and when I did that in the lobby at 6 am and connected to the internet, my computer died after 5 minutes. Went to the desk to see if they could reset it b/c the power outlet on the wall may not have worked, and after struggling to get my point across due to Spanish/English issues, I was told there was no power to the outlets in the lobby at that time of day! Would have been nice to know. And they had no way to rest the 90 minutes. Was told to go to sports bar next day b/c they have outlets working near their pay computers. Did that, but there was no free internet there. Finally found the area between the lobby and the stage area on the way to the sports bar that had a working power outlet AND a fair internet connection if you sit with a view through to the lobby. So FYI, walk out the lobby to the sports bar, and just to the left of the door on the way out on the wall is an outlet you can use with plenty of seating. Second day I tried to do this it worked, but then it cut me off after 30 minutes saying my 90 minutes was up. So beware if you absolutely NEED to use the internet. Take your own WiFi. When I asked about the paid in room WiFi I was told it was $10/hour and you only got one hour/day. Or that is what I think I understood from the poor communications.

Otherwise, the rooms are nice, clean with 2 large beds in each. Pretty comfortable but not luxurious. We were in the back of the property in room 2007. If you don’t want to walk a very long distance to dinner, and then the additional long walk to beach, be sure to ask for a room closer to front of property. The walks are nice, but after a few days you will get tired of them. I knew about the hotel being across the street from the beach, but if I knew it was as long as it was, I would have stayed at one of the Riu properties across the street that were on the beach. I like to walk the beach in the mornings, and the walk from my room to the beach was about 15 minutes and I do walk fast. Also, they do not open the gates to the throughway to the beach until 7, so if you want to get to the beach super early for a sunrise, you must walk through the Yucatan to the right of the walkway.

Food was ok. Plenty of it with lots of variety, but it was food made for quantity rather than quality. You get what you pay for in this price range of all inclusive. The Asian restaurant was actually very good. We preferred that over the regular buffet. Loved the juice/smoothie bar in the mornings. Drinks were plentiful and tasty. Bars were never overcrowded. Always got a drink in just a minute or two. Wine selection was just the house wine which was awful. Asked if there was a better brand available but not one bartender understood me.

Overall, a very nice stay at a midrange all inclusive with a very tropical feel. Just be prepared to walk a lot and take your own Wifi. And maybe learn a little Spanish before you go!

Room Tip: Choose room close to lobby area.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank broadreach11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,310)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in March. Great season to be in Playa. The hotel was very clean, staff was excellent but, the food was so so. You will always find something you like to eat but, the food quality is just average. We were allowed to eat at the Yucatan as well for lunch and breakfast and we found a bit more variety but, basically the same.

The Yucatan is a lot more modern and on the beach so we spent a lot of time there.

Take advantage of the snorkelling equipment because a ten minute walk down the beach there is amazing fish to see. We also played ping pong and used the kayaks.

Playa del Carman is a $7 cab ride or 25 min walk away. We walked there once on the beach and once by road. Playacar is a gated community so we felt vey safe at all times. The path into town is also a great running route that is well shaded in the mornings.

I would recommend a day trip to snorkel in the cenotes and swim with the turtles at Akumal. It was absolutely amazing to see stingrays, turtles and fish in the coral reef.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WestCoastGal55
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Excellent training/recruitment means that ALL the staff, from the gardeners to the management are constantly aware of their guests at all times. Friendly and helpful.

Our initial room was rather dark and gloomy and we were allowed to move the next day to a room overlooking the golf course and we had a pleasant outlook and evening sun. This was done even though the hotel was at full capacity.

The bedrooms are all large and airy with very good air conditioning and a ceiling fan. An excellent high powered shower, although I felt the towels were not good quality, nor were the bed sheets. However, the beds were very comfortable with good pillows. There was a hairdryer, iron and ironing board and a very spacious and 'easy to operate' safe! A fridge full of soft drinks and beer, lots of bottled water and four huge optics with Rum, Vodka, Whisky & Tequila! All replenished regularly. Our excellent room maid (Letitia) was a brilliant 'towel' artist too!

The main restaurant was very efficient and the choice of food was amazing - a wide choice for all nationalities, the same applied to the lunchtime Lupita Restaurant. The fact that self service hot and cold drinks, ice creams, popcorn and Taco chips were available all day was a bonus for parents. The Sports bar also had a selection of food available at all times. Staff to recommend were: Cenaides (a Supervisor who deserves management status), Jordy, Nabor, Rodolfo and Cesar - extremely hard working, efficient and customer aware.

I was not as 'delighted' with the "specialist restaurants", which were quite simply sections of the main restaurants with two sittings (except for the Asian Restaurant - the Bamboo) the atmosphere was lacking and I did not feel that the food was better than the self service selection, which it should have been, in my opinion. The Bamboo was disappointing too..... Rather serious staff and we felt a bit rushed towards the end of our meal, even though it was not late.....

The Animation Team at this hotel are first rate! Always busy and enthusiastic. My Spanish lessons were hugely entertaining as well as informative - thanks to Eder and Josh! They also led the kitchen tour and I thought that the standards of cleanliness were very high - full marks to the hard working staff behind the scenes. Excellent evening and daytime entertainment by the pool.
Also, there were guest groups and singers in Reception who were amazing and should have been on the main stage!

The cocktails were of a high standard and even round the pool you were served at your sunbed if required! Thanks to Rodolfo the Pool barrista!

The beach is across the road and a pleasant stroll, but the regular 'train' took the strain! From there (all services available at Hotel Yucatan) you could walk along the beach into Playa del Carmen - approximately 40/45 minutes. We did this regularly at around 4.30 and then enjoyed the early evening and entertainment in the town. A super place with lots of shop styles and many restaurants and bars. There is NO pressure at all from beach/street vendors!

Room Tip: Block 21 overlooks the golf course and had bright airy rooms. Bloch 35 was rather dark and gloomy...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LesleyNorman
Manchester
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 weeks 11-25 Feb, and were "chuffed to bits" with everything about this hotel. Check in was smooth & problem free. Our room was spotlessly clean and stayed like that everyday. We were more than happy with the food & drink, the girls & guys work really hard and always have a smile and a buenos Dias for everyone! But a little tip works wonders, as you will never have an empty glass ;)
We didn't try the speciality restaurants.... As the main one was more than enough for us ( BBQ night was one of our fav's).. Try the ribs mmmmmmmm....
Having the use of the sister hotels across the road is great... We spent the days on the beach at the Riu playa car. Strolled down the beach to Riu Yucatan for lunch the food was endless and excellent!
The walk to the beach takes about 10 mins.. ( stroll pace), why people moan about this ?? I just don't get it?? It a nice walk to & from, but even if you can't be bothered there's a buggy to hop on, not sure how often as we didn't use it.
Take a walk to the plaza to book your trips we saved over £100 on Thomson prices ( snorkel on the reef, speed boat & chichen itza ) go see Oswaldo, really nice guy.
If we were to pick faults... The only one we would mention is that some parents used the sports bar as a free a crèche in the evening ... But you can't blame the hotel for that!!! .. Maybe a child free zone after 8pm?
We have had some great holidays but this is the only place we have ever said we would return to....
All in all if your going here ... Good choice :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JMB162
Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2014

First let me say I cannot believe any of the negative reviews - we had a great week with NO complaints. We are seasoned travellers to Mexico, we stay at 4* and above resorts. RIU Tequilla may not be new but if you are going for the bedspreads, stay home!
The service, food, rooms, beaches, pools are fantastic. I am celiac and the cooks made special dishes for me and at the a la carte they make sure they serve a beautiful meal clean of gulten - I had not problems whatsoever. You can walk by the beach to Playa del Carmen in 45 minutes. Have lunch at any of the 3 hotels( Tequilla, Yucatan, Playacar) nice to be able to swim in 3 pools and the ocean all in one day!! We stayed in bldg 2 on the 2nd floor, great room and any problem we had was solved in a very quick manner by staff/management.
Treating the staff like humans means a lot to them....they are not our slaves for the week like some people treated them. Go and have a great vacation!! We will be back.....

Room Tip: The lower numbered bldgs are closer to lobbyf and pool, the higher numbers are back a little further...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank bevtim01
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This was my second trip back to Riu Tequila.
I wouldn't return to this resort unless they renovate. The maintenance was the biggest downfall. There were nights that it was cooler outside than in our room, but the mosquitoes outside were the reason we didn't open the door.

Bring afterbite. I got spider bites in the bed and they have not begun to heal after 2 weeks.

Bar staff is AWESOME.

The beach is so far that we stayed at the pool.

Housekeeping is great, they even wash the floors under the bed and behind the TV every day.

We stayed at the back of the resort, couldn't hear a thing.

Room Tip: You don't get much say, they overbook the rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Umm, where to begin - booked a room here through cheapcarribbean.com, but when we arrived here from Cancun 1 hr and 10 mins. later we were told the resort was overbooked and they had no rooms for us - so 4 couples were sent to the "Riu Tequila" which should be condemned. The room had a missing curtain and smelled of mold. I tried to wash my hands in the bathroom sink and felt my feet getting wet due to a leak. Thankfully, one of our party complained enough to have us then sent to the Riu Penninsula (their newest resort) 1 hour plus back up to Cancun! I guess were were lucky to have complained so bitterly - one of our party was sickened once before at the "Tequila" with impetigo! Be careful of any Riu offers through any travel agent!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
#50 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!