I will preface this by saying, it POURED while we were there, so my impressions of the place are colored by this. The rooms, unless you have the air conditioning blasting, stream with water - the mirrors, the tv screen, the slippery floors - are all damp, constantly. There may be no way around this but it does make for a chilly room. You can either be soggy or freezing. A lot of the walls have pockets of water in them, where the water has seeped in behind the paint. Perhaps this is just how it is when there is a lot of rain. The food, which is pretty marginal at best, is also pretty impacted by the water - ice cream cones are soft, bread is damp etc. There is no made to order food here, at least not in the main dining area, and the Mexican food, which I expected to be epic, was merely so so. The hotel rooms themselves are okay, but this is definitely a bargain hotel - there is hand wash in the shower which serves as body wash, shampoo and conditioner. Definitely bring your own if you want anything more than soap.
The staff were very friendly, but I'm afraid it didn't make up for the condition of the hotel. Again, please know that the weather had a big impact of our time there. Horizontal tropical rain makes pool side reading tough. And it never let up really. That said everyone in the dining area looked similarly sullen about the weather and food. I will also add this is not my first all inclusive. I did a club med two years ago and the food was amazing. So perhaps this hotel is more the standard - it was certainly a cheaper vacation than Club Med, perhaps that's why. Anyway, I don't think I'll be back. One thing to keep in mind on the all inclusives - people drink too much. And you may be awoken by someone banging on a nearby hotel door for ages, because they are drunk and locked out. In fact the guy who showed us to our room explained that we must lock our patio door, not for theft, but for the drunks. Lovely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Within the resort area Playacar along with the hotels Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar * Main building and 1-story buildings * Surrounded by 48,000 m2 / 57,600 sq. Yards of lush gardens * 800 m / 2,650 ft. From the beach (complimentary shuttle) * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 300 m / 990 ft. From Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int'l Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Travel Republic (UK) and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Tequila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Tequila Hotel
- Riu Tequila Mexico
- Hotel Riu Tequila
- Riu Tequila Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Tequila
- ClubHotel Riu Tequila Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen