“Food not good, ventillation poor, leaky rooms”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #55 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I will preface this by saying, it POURED while we were there, so my impressions of the place are colored by this. The rooms, unless you have the air conditioning blasting, stream with water - the mirrors, the tv screen, the slippery floors - are all damp, constantly. There may be no way around this but it does make for a chilly room. You can either be soggy or freezing. A lot of the walls have pockets of water in them, where the water has seeped in behind the paint. Perhaps this is just how it is when there is a lot of rain. The food, which is pretty marginal at best, is also pretty impacted by the water - ice cream cones are soft, bread is damp etc. There is no made to order food here, at least not in the main dining area, and the Mexican food, which I expected to be epic, was merely so so. The hotel rooms themselves are okay, but this is definitely a bargain hotel - there is hand wash in the shower which serves as body wash, shampoo and conditioner. Definitely bring your own if you want anything more than soap.

The staff were very friendly, but I'm afraid it didn't make up for the condition of the hotel. Again, please know that the weather had a big impact of our time there. Horizontal tropical rain makes pool side reading tough. And it never let up really. That said everyone in the dining area looked similarly sullen about the weather and food. I will also add this is not my first all inclusive. I did a club med two years ago and the food was amazing. So perhaps this hotel is more the standard - it was certainly a cheaper vacation than Club Med, perhaps that's why. Anyway, I don't think I'll be back. One thing to keep in mind on the all inclusives - people drink too much. And you may be awoken by someone banging on a nearby hotel door for ages, because they are drunk and locked out. In fact the guy who showed us to our room explained that we must lock our patio door, not for theft, but for the drunks. Lovely.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank tcwright

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Ignore all the negative reviews ALL the staff at this hotel go out of their way to make your holiday the best holiday you have had, having stayed at another Riu hotel in the Dom Rep last year where the service was as good I will personally will look at a Riu before another hotel chain.Yes the rooms are slightly dated, but they are due to be updated soon I only hope that they do not destroy the Mexican feel of this hotel unlike the plastic feeling Riu Yucatan.My only gripe is the fact we were led to believe we were flying on a dreamliner so my wife & I booked premium seats, imagine our dismay when we saw our plane a 20 year old rust bucket in 1st choice colours with seats that were like like wooden benches not what we had paid over £500 for, the crew both outbound & inbound were excellent but not worth the extra we paid. This was an excellent holiday 1 of the best I have ever had & considering the amount of people that were return visitors I spoke to which amounted to about 50% I can see why. If you have never been to Mexico before you will not go far wrong here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sjl99
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last year for my wedding with a group 16 staff was really help full and nothing was to much trouble for them. Food was good 1 of our party was very fussy but was always something to eat for him.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank monkeynut1
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the tequila mid may,,from check in till check out everything was superb,,went with thomsons ,flew on Dreamliner,lovely. Reps in resort were lovely & helpful ,staff in hotel from lowest to the highest couldn't do enough for you,always friendly,bar staff in the evening were amazing so quick at making the cocktails while taking orders for more!!! The animation team,,I take my hat off to,,they work very hard day and night,,especially in the heat,they want you to enjoy and join in!! Hotel is ideally located,,5 minute walk to beach,little parade of shops 5 minute walk,,taxis located at front of hotel to take you into 5th avenue which was fab (£3) each way 70pesos,,,taxis on every corner in 5th avenue,just get in one they take you straight back to the tequila,,food was amazing choice was immense,,room was lovely,,yes a kettle wound of been nice but it didn't put us off!! Did the chichen itza trip 5.30 pick up long day but a good one!! Husband went diving with a contact out there said the cenotè's were amazing for diving!! Would we go back,,yes in a blink of an eye,, everything was perfect,,even the rain was hot!!! Lol viva la Mexico:))

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sarah16g
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 11 nights at club hotel riu tequila and was very impressed with the hotel and all it had to offer. The hotel was decorated traditionally, and the grounds were kept very well. The all inclusive basis covered a lot, there was a stocked mini bar in the room that was regularly restocked with beer, water, and soft drinks, there were also 4 spirit dispenser optics in the room. As well as the main buffet restaurant there are three speciality restaurants - steak, Asian, and Mexican that you could eat at as many times as you like, there was also food available 24hours a day from one of the bars. The cocktail menu was amazing!!! The beach was a very short and pleasant walk away, it took 5 minutes maybe less, there was also a frequent shuttle going to and from beach but we liked the walk. You can also use two of the other neighbouring 4 star Riu hotels, we liked to use the chill out pool at the Riu Yucatan. The location is great so close to Playa del Carmen. Only point for improvement is I think the rooms could be updated at some point in the not too distant future. We would defiantly stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank dorsetcamper88
Reviewed 7 June 2014

superb hotel, superb holiday!! this hotel has everything, charm, character, etc.... staff excellent, food excellent, rooms lovely, cannot fault it. All essentials catered for pool towels provided every day, hair dryer in room, optics in room with the option of exchanging local brands for named brands. The choice of restaurants and food is excellent. The pool area is great the staff are entertaining all day long, take part or watch others its great fun. Children are entertained day and night. The beach is a 5 min walk and OMG is it worth it!!!!! for a first time holiday in the caribbean I will definatly be returning in the future.

Room Tip: a room near the pool is ideal as only 2 min walk to reception. we were in room 2609 if that helps an...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Joanne S
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I travelled to the riu tequila in May for 2 weeks, and what an amazing 2 weeks they were. We were greeted with a cocktail and sent straight to our rooms. We didn't even have to carry our suitcases, they were brought up about 15 minutes later.
The food is stunning. How people on here can moan about it, I don't know! There was plenty of selection! At most meal times, we couldn't believe just how much they had! BBQ night on a Sunday was amazing, the BBQ by the pool was lush as well. I recommend trying the 3 different restaurants, they were all amazing.
The staff at the riu tequila work so hard, nothing is ever a problem for them and they are all very friendly. They have activities during the day which you can join in on, I played bingo a few times and won!
The beach is stunning, the water is so clear. While we were swimming in there one day, we saw loads of fish just swimming around. The beach is also very clean and tidy, the waiters walk around all day collecting empty cups. I didn't see any rubbish lying around anywhere. The walk down to the beach takes about 5 mins and what a lovely walk it is. You can catch the little buggy that takes you back and forth but it's nice to walk it.
Everything was so clean, there are bacterial hand gels at the entrance of every restaurant to use. The rooms were cleaned everyday with a new little towel animal.
My boyfriend proposed to me while we were out there and the hotel decorated our room lovely, it's was such a nice touch and so thoughtful!
The coatis are so cute, they will never bother you, they just walk around minding there own business. I did see one family through things at one one day which was so cruel, but still, the coati didn't react, he just ran away. They are not violent at all.
Well done riu tequila, we are so sad to be back home in the rain but we are already planning on when we can return. Probably for our honeymoon!

• Stayed: May 2014