“Family Fun”

Ranked #51 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
DeKalb, Illinois
“Family Fun”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was a wonderful trip!! Riu Tequila was a fantastic stay. I'm not sure what the people who give it a bad review are looking for. There are a few people who went above and beyond their jobs. Rojando a waiter was so nice and friendly. Joshua and Victor on the entertainment team could make you laugh no matter what. Moises at the Sports Bar is the best bartender!!

All in all this was a fantastic trip. We traveled with family there were 21 of us from 5 yr to 58 yrs. We took one excursion to Chichen itza. We had a great time. Visited a cenote, an authentic Mexican Restaurant and a little town with a Catholic Church. The hard part was the very long bus ride. However our tour guide Augestine kept it interesting.

The food and drink at the resort was plentiful as well as very good. I do have to say in my opinion the oriental buffet was actually better than the bamboo restaurant. The steak house was my favorite. The best thing about the Mexican was the view. However, I think we were spoiled with the buffet.

Our room was beautiful. The beds were a little hard but, I can deal with that. I would have liked to have a light in the shower.

All in all from check in to check out it was fantastic!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Lori J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,362)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I came back from a wonderful 2 week break at the Tequila on the 18th June 2104 and I really must say it was fantastic. The staff are tremendous they cannot do enough for you. The hotel itself is fantastic. It is situated about a 5 minute walk away from a beautiful beach. It has 2 good size swimming pools, 1 with a swim up bar. I really cant recommend this hotel highly enough and we will definately be going back. As was said in a previous review, the beds were a little hard for our taste.

5 Thank shaun P
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here for a week at the end of August-beginning of September 2013 and had a blast! It was just the right combination of relax and entertainment. The walk to the beach was just the perfect length, though they had a golf cart service as well. Being able to get drinks and sit on the beach was a nice plus. The food was ample and we really enjoyed the variety and especially the 'aguas' (fresh juices) in the morning. The staff were very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Perez-Pegg
North Ridgeville, Ohio
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at RIU. The staff was very nice/helpful (Greeting is "Welcome Home") and the place was extremely clean. The room itself was great. I gave an average to the sleeping because the bed was slightly hard, but I would absolutely stay here again. The walk to the beach was about 7 minutes down a beautiful shaded path. There are two other RIU resorts on the beach that you can use and eat lunch at. The beach chairs are incredibly comfortable and the shade from the palm tress is great and a must in the Mexican sun. I gave a very good for the food and not an excellence because I am not a huge fan of buffet. The food is good, but I would rather be served and relax, but that is not to say the food is bad. Great experience overall and I would recommend to any family and friends to go and have a BLAST! I would stay at any other RIU's resorts based on a outstanding experience here.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

This is a hotel not to be missed! Just returned from a 2 week stay and enjoyed every minute.
I was a little apprehensive to book a hotel not on the beach but I am so glad I did. The walk to the beach is only 5 minutes and down a paved shaded pathway. The beach is fantastic, powder sand, clear sea and plenty of sun beds. There is a restaurant with bar available to use when you are there.
The rooms are large and fairly well equipped; TV, hair dryer, electric safe, mini bar (included), furnished balcony etc... Our house keeper, Eduardo, kept our room brilliantly clean throughout our stay as he did the communal areas. The accommodation is in small blocks set in beautiful gardens set back from the swimming pool.
Both swimming pools are in good order with plenty of sun beds. There is a swim up bar, a small pop up bar and a bar inside the restaurant to use. The entertainment team use the pool as their central location. They use the pool for games but only for a short period in the morning and again in the afternoon. The entertainment team are really good. They will ask you to participate but don't pester you. They provide activities that cater for all ages and abilities. And as said before there program is for a while in the morning and again in the afternoon so they are not around all day if it's not your thing.
The worlds fussiest eater would find something to eat here. The range of food available is amazing. The buffet restaurants cater for the main part of your stay and are quite nice and not overcrowded. The 3 a la carte restaurants were all good and you can book these as often as you like, not like most resorts where it's once a week! For the steakhouse you have to get to breakfast quite early to make your booking as it's very popular. The other 2 seemed easy enough to book. You have to book at breakfast for that evening.
The evening entertainment is varied. It is a mixture of acts brought in and acts put on by the entertainment team. We found the entertainment team were better then the paid acts! Also the entertainment did not repeat itself during our stay. There are plenty of bars to use on a night time including the quiet one in the pool restaurant. If your still standing then it's off to the on site disco till 2.
It's quick and easy to get into playa Del Carmen. Taxis are readily available and cost $9to Coco Bongos in the middle of town. Loads of restaurants, bars and shops. Much nicer than Cancun in my opinion.
The only 2 minor downsides to our stay was the free internet. It is available in the lobby area only and works fine most of the time. For a hotel of this class it should be made available in more areas. Also the 24 hour all inclusive food is a little disappointing. A bit of fruit, some sandwiches and microwaveable burgers and hotdogs. Not the best but after a night out it's something.
I do not normally return to the same hotel as there is so much choice to explore. I think I would make an exception here. Riu should be really proud of the team they have in place here. They are the ones who make your holiday memorable especially the guys on the ground who we see and interact with every day!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
12 Thank 442jack
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a family holiday in November 2005 and the hotel & all of it's facilities were fantastic. The food was delicious, varied & plentiful, the staff were friendly & the rooms were gorgeous. The pool area was well kept and there was always something to do, including rifle shooting! Even though we visited shortly after Hurricane Katrina and there was some damage to the trees and the surrounding area, on the whole the hotel was immaculate and it was clear a huge effort had been made. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2013
2 Thank PangaeanEarth
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

One of the best holidays I have been on and cannot recommend it enough. The hotel is what I expect out of a Riu, it is clean and the staff are really friendly. A high variety of food offered to cater to all. It does need a lick of paint here and there in the rooms but all that can be overlooked. The AC was leaking and they resolved it asap and we came back from one of our excursions and received a letter informing our safe was left open and they had locked it till we came back. They made us check everything was in place in the safe before signing it off. So we appreciated their honesty and nothing was taken. The beach went on for ages and we walked right to the end to get some privacy and space. Surrounded by wildlife that you can get quite close too. A lot of excursions offered by Thomsons - go swim with the Whale Sharks!!!! Just so much to do on and outside the hotel we were not ready to come back after 2wks.

Room Tip: Our room faced the back into the jungle. It was very quiet and private and if you are lucky you may...