I stayed here in May 2014 with my mom and sister-in-law for a girls' week getaway! We loved the traditional Mexican decor, as opposed to the two updated Riu hotels. It felt so authentic. The staff at the Riu Tequila is phenomenal and they go out of their way to help with anything you may need. The walk to the beach is not far, and the beach itself is DEFINITELY worth it. I've stayed at other resorts in Playa Del Carmen and this beach beat them all! FLAWLESS. And you can find beach chairs at any time of the day.
The pool at the resort was nice, but definitely not my favorite. I really like when resorts have a quiet pool and one that is more upbeat with music and a pool bar, as it gives guests an option. Both pools were very laid back, and even the pool bar was pretty tame with music only softly playing in the background. We wished there was a little more liveliness during the day, but we did enjoy relaxing as well.
The buffets are GREAT. We did not try any of the specialty restaurants as we did not want to be on a set schedule, but I still felt like I ate well. Each day, we were able to find plenty of different options that were all very tasty. Even my mom, who is gluten-free, ate like a king! As guacamole lovers, we all indulged in a heaping side of their delicious guac with each meal. :) What worked best for us was spending the day at the beach and grabbing lunch at the Riu Yucatan buffet since it was close.
The bars are well-stocked here. I was pleased to find that they carried recognizable brands like Jose Cuervo and Bacardi. We were definitely known around the resort for our catchphrase, "Mas Jose, please!" :) Also, the shows at night were fantastic! Best I've seen at any resort. They really put a lot of time and hard work into them.
The only thing that left me a little disappointed was the room. While it was spacious, and pretty clean, the beds were horridly uncomfortable. They were very stiff with limited pillows. Also, we had a room on the ground floor and the sides of our mattresses were actually moldy. It wreaked havoc on my sinuses and I ended up with major congestion. We were going to switch rooms but the only one available was terribly far away, so we stuck it out and spent very little time in our poolside room.
One thing, you CANNOT miss? Fifth Avenue! Staying inside the Playacar Complex provides close proximity to the downtown shopping area. It's just an inexpensive cab ride away. There is so much fun stuff to do down there you could make an entire day out of it. Between Senor Frogs, Captain Dan's Famous Kiwi Margaritas, innumerable amazing restaurants, a sprawling shopping complex with street vendors and recognizable stores, like Forever 21, there is truly something there for everyone.
So, for the value, I'd say that we had a very good experience with the Riu Tequila. Although, solely based on the room, I will probably stay elsewhere in the Playacar complex the next time I visit Playa del Carmen.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Within the resort area Playacar along with the hotels Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar * Main building and 1-story buildings * Surrounded by 48,000 m2 / 57,600 sq. Yards of lush gardens * 800 m / 2,650 ft. From the beach (complimentary shuttle) * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 300 m / 990 ft. From Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int'l Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Tequila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Tequila Hotel
- Riu Tequila Mexico
- Hotel Riu Tequila
- Riu Tequila Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Tequila
- ClubHotel Riu Tequila Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen