“Great vacation for the value”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #46 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Waterbury, Connecticut
“Great vacation for the value”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed here in May 2014 with my mom and sister-in-law for a girls' week getaway! We loved the traditional Mexican decor, as opposed to the two updated Riu hotels. It felt so authentic. The staff at the Riu Tequila is phenomenal and they go out of their way to help with anything you may need. The walk to the beach is not far, and the beach itself is DEFINITELY worth it. I've stayed at other resorts in Playa Del Carmen and this beach beat them all! FLAWLESS. And you can find beach chairs at any time of the day.

The pool at the resort was nice, but definitely not my favorite. I really like when resorts have a quiet pool and one that is more upbeat with music and a pool bar, as it gives guests an option. Both pools were very laid back, and even the pool bar was pretty tame with music only softly playing in the background. We wished there was a little more liveliness during the day, but we did enjoy relaxing as well.

The buffets are GREAT. We did not try any of the specialty restaurants as we did not want to be on a set schedule, but I still felt like I ate well. Each day, we were able to find plenty of different options that were all very tasty. Even my mom, who is gluten-free, ate like a king! As guacamole lovers, we all indulged in a heaping side of their delicious guac with each meal. :) What worked best for us was spending the day at the beach and grabbing lunch at the Riu Yucatan buffet since it was close.

The bars are well-stocked here. I was pleased to find that they carried recognizable brands like Jose Cuervo and Bacardi. We were definitely known around the resort for our catchphrase, "Mas Jose, please!" :) Also, the shows at night were fantastic! Best I've seen at any resort. They really put a lot of time and hard work into them.

The only thing that left me a little disappointed was the room. While it was spacious, and pretty clean, the beds were horridly uncomfortable. They were very stiff with limited pillows. Also, we had a room on the ground floor and the sides of our mattresses were actually moldy. It wreaked havoc on my sinuses and I ended up with major congestion. We were going to switch rooms but the only one available was terribly far away, so we stuck it out and spent very little time in our poolside room.

One thing, you CANNOT miss? Fifth Avenue! Staying inside the Playacar Complex provides close proximity to the downtown shopping area. It's just an inexpensive cab ride away. There is so much fun stuff to do down there you could make an entire day out of it. Between Senor Frogs, Captain Dan's Famous Kiwi Margaritas, innumerable amazing restaurants, a sprawling shopping complex with street vendors and recognizable stores, like Forever 21, there is truly something there for everyone.

So, for the value, I'd say that we had a very good experience with the Riu Tequila. Although, solely based on the room, I will probably stay elsewhere in the Playacar complex the next time I visit Playa del Carmen.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank MollyE44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,325)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 2 July 2014

amazing hotel! Activities, food, shows, rooms, beach and people were all outstanding. Everything was super clean. The variety and quality of the food was fantastic. The beach was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Everyone who worked there was super friendly, helpful and very professional. I give this hotel an A plus.

Room Tip: all the rooms were terrific!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank 4mab14
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We visited here in 2012, 2013,and are going back again this year (2014). Absolutely fantastic holiday and the staff around the bar in the evening kept us entertained. You can use the 2 other hotels across the road which are on the beach so you get the benefits of a nice quiet hotel away from the beach with the choice to use the busier hotels at no extra cost. We have stayed here as a couple and as a family, both times thoroughly enjoying ourselves.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 186298Karen
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have just returned back from a two week family holiday in Playa Del Carmen and this is the best hotel I have ever been to. The traditional mexican decor gives the place a real sense of character making you really feel like you are in mexico.

The first thing to mention is the food. In my opinion it was exceptional in all areas, the buffet provided us with a huge amount of choice every evening consisting of all types of food ranging from pizzas, burgers, chicken nuggets and chips (if you are a boring eater) to roast joints of fresh meat every evening (the roast beef was beautiful) every type of vegetable you could think of along with all other trimmings and each style of food has its own area so you can just wak around and have a good look before deciding on what to have. They also had a fresh bread area with tonnes of different breads along with a huge salad and fruit bar and rather large dessert section.

Alongside the buffet the tequila also has more to offer on site including the Lupita Resteraunt (Steak House) and also the Asian buffet. I never tried the Asian as it isn't really my thing but the steak house was really nice the only small niggle being is that we personally felt a little rushed but nothing too major.

Also as the tequila partners with the surrounding Riu hotels you also have the option of eating at any of those including the Riu Playacar and The Riu Yucatan these are both also beautiful hotels but have been modernized so it really depends on your taste.

The rooms were very clean when we arrived and also offered a very traditional mexican feel with dark woods, yellows and reds and were also very spacious with two large double beds. The minifridge is restocked every two days along with large bottles of water every day if needed. The cleaners were very friendly and did a brilliant job leaving the rooms spotless everyday and also leaving different types of towel art which I thought was a nice touch. We found that we had to have the air con on full along with the ceiling fan simply because of the humidity.

The bar staff were all very friendly and offered great service having more drinks ready for you before you had finished the first ones and they were always recommending different cocktails and shots for us to try.

The beach is by far the best I have ever seen and yes it is a 10 minute walk away (down a lovely well planted walkway) or a 5 minute ride on the shuttle bus (the wally trolley as we liked to call it) but this by no means in my opinion affected our holiday in fact we enjoyed the walk down there everyday as it was a great chance to spot wildlife. The beach is huge and there are plenty of sunbeds for everyone. I would reccomend getting beds by a palm tree so you have shade if needed.

The pool at the Riu Yucatan is perfect throughout the day if you fancy a break from the beautiful sea along with its swim up bar and entertainment area. The animations team work hard throughout the day keeping people entertained and providing lots of laughs.

I would most definitely reccomend taking a trip to 5th Avenue it only cost us 100 pesos each way (£5) so not an expensive evening at all. There are many attractions at fifth avenue mainly the shops. They have a Pandora outlet, a Lacoste shop along with Zara, Cartier and many other big names and a bunch of lovely Mexican restaurants and the world famous Coco Bongos.

I would also highly reccomend a trip to Akumal Bay which is a 30 minute taxi ride from the hotel and it cost around £20 (much cheaper then paying for an official excursion) it was amazing we rented snorkels along with a guide for another £20 and saw many sea turtles, different schools of fish and a huge barracuda. It really was the experience of a lifetime if you're in to that sort of thing. The beach there also had a lovely little restaurant which offered cold drinks and good food so this can be a nice and cheap day out for the family.

Overall I am glad we stayed at the tequila out of the other surrounding modernized Riu's simply because of the character the place has. We had an amazing holiday and would go back without a second thought. I would highly reccomend this hotel to anyone.

I would like to say a huge thank you to all of the staff at the hotel who work tirelessly to make sure your holiday is a relaxing as it should be.

Room Tip: We were in rooms 2914 and 2915 which were perfect as it was not to close but not too far from the re...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank JoeColrein92
Brundish
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Well what can I say that has not been written before, not ever been a great lover of All inclusive hotels but this has changed my mind, the place is well kept with the traditional Mexican décor. The animation team do their very best at all times although the night shows are a bit boring with the kids participations going on too late they should really finish before 7 pm. The bar and restaurant staff are first class and the do work some hours, they are always happy no matter what. The cleaning staff are also first class putting out their little towel animations on the bed each day to brighten things up.
The beach although it is about 10 minutes’ away it is quite a pleasant walk but you can always wait for the buggy. The beach area is very good but the only shade is the trees no umbrellas, not allowed I think, you are also allowed to use the other hotels facilities for food etc.
The other thing is in the hotel reception they have a car hire service to which is far cheaper than going into town, also the exchange rate at the hotel is very good with just 50 cents difference than town
All in all a great holiday and would highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: All the rooms we see where much the same all good quality
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kft53
Mansfield Nr Nottingham
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Where do I start, one of if not the best holiday resorts we've been too. The food fantastic, plenty of choice, well cooked, presented n clean all around the restaurant, staff very friendly and helpful. The bar staff day and night kept u well topped up, recommending different drinks including cocktails, shots and the amber beer for those that don't drink lager for you to try. Well done to the bar staff at night and 'Alfend' who served us drinks around the pool all day, they worked hard n never stopped. Our rooms were very spacious and clean to a high standard, and our fridge was topped up every other day if needed. We had a lovely touch with our towels that were folded to represent a different animal everyday by 'Emma' our maid. The beach was large and clean although the sea was a little rough in places but we had some laughs watching each other trying to get in and out before a wave got you. Yes there's a 5/10 minute walk to the beach but even with my disability I managed with the help of the free buggy that takes you to and from your hotel every 15 minutes (apart from the siesta break from one to three). The pools were large and clean and very well presented. The entertainment was fantastic and they worked very hard putting on shows with their fantastic costumes like " Mamma Mia, 70s n 80s show and Rocky horror show" . We didn't find it expensive either, infact if you go to " 5th Avenue" (shopping) , which only costs 70pesos each way ,you will find a brand new 'Pandora' shop that's a lot cheaper than your airports! We didn't do many trips but I would defiantly recommend the 'Coco Bongo' , we also tried the pirate ship at night but be aware although a good night and 10 out of 10 for the meal it can be a bit crowded and if your on the upper decks where it's cooler you do miss out on joining in the entertainment that all happens on the lower deck.overall a brilliant holiday and would definitely go back . We were told that the hotel is scheduled to be referbed next year although I don't know why but I really hope that they don't modernise it to much like they have the hotels across the road as I feel it will loose its character.

Room Tip: We were in rooms 3413 and 3414 which about 5 minute walk from reception ,bars n restaurants which wa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank rutters1
Wigan
Reviewed 1 July 2014

As you can see this is an excellent hotel which receives top reviews and I can't say any more that I totally agree, this place is a real gem.

I come here with my wife and she suffers with a gluten allergy. She was very wary of the food etc so we emailed the hotel manager Gerardo who asked him to meet us when we arrived.

Gerardo was great with us and introcduced us to the chef. The chef suggested that my wife ask for him at every meal service and he would take her round the buffet and show her which foods she could eat....and there were plenty!!

Thanks for looking after us guys!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel Riu Lupita
Hotel Riu Lupita
#80 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,696 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!