ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Yucatan(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Viva Wyndham Maya(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Lupita(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Tucan Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Viva Wyndham Azteca(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Allegro Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
8,454 results
All reviewssports baryucatan hotelmain restaurantthomson repsgreat holidaygolf buggyasian restaurantanimation teamplenty of sunbedsevery other daypool restaurantshort walk to the beachthemed nightspalm treesevening entertainmentcancun airportswimming with dolphins
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 July 2014

my husband and I arrived at this hotel on 1st of june 2014 for two weeks any holiday we book its always a riu for the high standards[not in this case] the critters were surrounding the pool area and every drink you put on your table at the pool they climbed up and stole it and anything else they could get from your bag.The sunbeds were covered in critter poo and bird poo they were never cleaned the full two wks we were there and the smell of poo when you lay at the pool side. lunch area had cat gut all around the restaurant to keep the birds out but they got in at the top of the restaurant and were feeding young my husband went to take rice and the chef chased the bird away after it had some in its beak and mixed the rice up with a spoon for the next person to eat.At the swim up pool people sat in the water from 10am till 4pm drinking and not one person got out to go to the toilet and we never saw any pool attendant test the water as we have seen in many a RIU hotel I was disgusted I wear a stoma bag and ended up very unwell I took a infection round my stoma the pool was never cleaned,the showers at the pool never worked so the people from the beach were just jumping in the pool covered in sand which lay at the bottom of the pool.the room was basic but very clean I must say the young boy who cleaned the room was very pleasant the other problem was we could not sit out in the balcony as soon as we opened the door the large critters would invade your balcony they were worse than timeshare touts we are still awaiting for a response from Thomson as we are looking for some compensation as I would never recommend this hotel but I have now heard it is to be refurbished so this hotel should not even be in the brochure it was a holiday from hell

Room Tip: upper floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ELSPETH B
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just came back from a 2 week stay here! Arrived here on 16th July, after an easy flight and warm welcome at Cancun airport. Only an hour transfer which soon flew by! I travelled as a family of 4, me being the eldest daughter and I was excited as I chose this resort myself (due to reviews and awesome pictures!)

When we arrived at the hotel, we were served drinks and shown to our room which was quite a walk but it was within easy distance of the pool so we didn't mind. The room as well as the resort itself was very clean and very well maintained which is expected of a Riu resort.

Positives:
-The animation team were FANTASTIC! Very talented, very friendly and very happy 24/7. They make an effort to get to know you and encourage you to join in the activities. I recommend doing the aqua aerobics every morning at 11. Was so much fun, and so popular!

-The entertainment was probably the best entertainment I have ever seen at a Riu resort. They would bring in outside acts/performers to perform such as acrobatics and traditional Mexican dances. However the animation team did put on their own shows and were equally as enjoyable!

-Location. The town and beach were within walking distance/easy transportation. The beach was directly opposite our hotel in the Riu Yucatan, but there was a golf cart that would take you down if you preferred. The beach was fantastic! The town and several shops were also within easy distance. A 5 minute walk to Starbucks down the road, and £3.50 (70 pesos) taxi to the town where they had plenty of shops and restaurants - only 5 minutes away. Any trips such as swimming with Dolphins or Xplor (which was AMAZING) were only a 10 minute drive also.

-Wide variety of food for everyone, however it was hard to find plain food for younger children. They had chicken nuggets and chips but if you wanted plain pasta, you had to ask as most of the food was spicy. Desserts were absolutely yummy and they even had a chocolate fountain! Heaven!

-The wilfdlife! There were so many animals raiding the hotel but it was such a contrast, that we absolutely loved it! Very exotic animals, make sure to take plenty of photos...and be careful as they are cheeky and steal your lunch!

Negatives: (there's always something.)

-The nightclub was for over 18's only! At every Riu Hotel I've been to, the club has been available to anyone, which has always been great. However this hotel only allows 18 and overs into the club, which is annoying as my sister is under 18. They were very strict. Although besides the club, there's not much to do in the evenings except sit around in reception - which is too hot even at night. I suggest that they allow anyone into the club, but make sure you're over 18 to buy alcohol. Because why stop young ones wanting to dance? I was very disappointed with this.

-The wi-fi. Usually Riu hotels allow you free wi-fi in the lobby unlimited, or so I've experienced. However this hotel you could only use wi-fi for free for 90 minutes a day. HOWEVER, when your 90 minutes is up, you can't use the wi-fi for another 24 hours. So say you finished using the wi-fi at 7pm, you won't be able to use the wi-fi until 7pm the next day, which gets later and later. I was not told this until I had to find out for myself. Otherwise wi-fi is £10 a day which is ridiculous. Alternatively, you can go to any of the other Riu hotels across the road and steal their wi-fi. Or go to Starbucks and use their wi-fi for free! There are ways around this.

Overall this was a very nice hotel and I made some lovely friends! Most people are either American, Scottish and English! Of course there are a mixture but I'm very glad to have made good friends and have had a lovely relaxing holiday. I strongly recommend this place!
P.S. It helps to know a little bit of Spanish! They love it!

4  Thank Lauren J
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Riu Tequlia is about a 10 minute leisurely walk to the glorious beach shared with the Riu Yucatan and Riu Palace hotels. Very traditional Mexican architecture, unlike the other two hotels mentioned. But it is due a make over and I hope they don't remove it's character. The accommodation was very good and thank goodness for aircon. The staff were very friendly and efficient, apart from the guys on the beach who controlled the water sports. If you were paying for the powered stuff they were over you like a rash, but for the 'free' stuff if your face didn't fit you didn't get much help.
The excursions were very expensive, don't understand why, especially for a family with two teenagers, (4 adult prices). But the one to Chitzen Itza was worth the money, even if the trip was very long and boring there and back. Had budgeted for a few trips but spent most of the time on the beach.
The food and drinks were very good and the entertainment on an evening was very impressive and the 'animation team' worked very hard.
Overall had a truly great time and returned absolutely exhausted.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are spread around the complex and far enough away from the pool and entertainment area to remain undisturbed.
7  Thank Vince_Urwin
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was my fifth stay in the Playacar area over the last five years. I was extremely disappointed with the Tequila compared to the other resorts I have visited in Playa. The check in process was easy, we were greeted with the usual welcome drink. Our room wasn't ready so we headed to the 'lobby' bar for some drinks and to the lunch buffet at the pool. The drinks at the Tequila were good, as long as you requested they were mixed with top shelf liquor. This was also the case at the Yucatan where we spent the majority of our time there. Lunch after arrival was just awful, I admit that I am somewhat of a picky eater, but have never had such poor food at an all-inclusive. We didn't return to the Lupita for lunch. Our room was ready at this point, as promised. We walked with the bell man and our luggage to the room.

The room: when we first entered the room, I thought it was very small, no big deal though, I had no intentions of using the room other than for sleeping and bathing. It would have been nice to have a proper sitting area while my husband was showering, there were two uncomfortable chairs and a very small table squeezed in front of the sliding door. The 'duvet' on the bed had a hole in it from a cigarette burn, as previously said, the 'king' size bed was two doubles pushed together. They were not connected in anyway, simply pushed together, so much for cuddling up at night, the mattress will separate and you will slip into the cracks. The room had one outlet next to the bed, this is a hassle if you have electronics to charge. The layout of the bathroom was functional, this is where most of the problems we had with the room were. The towels were so rough and scratchy, the Tequila needs to invest in some fabric softener, they almost hurt to use after your skin has been exposed to the sun all day. The fridge didn't work, we had warm soda and beer to choose from, the liquor dispenser was also faulty. (Yes, the fridge and liquor is in the bathroom, I found this a little gross.) There was some type of vent above the toilet that constantly dripped large drops of water, nasty. The towel rack is also above the toilet (nowhere near the shower so don't forget to grab a towel before you shower), the water would be absorb by clean towels on the rack or if the rack was empty it would drip on the toilet, or worse me if the rack was empty. The first two days of the stay, one of the lights above the sink was flashing and humming, it eventually burned out. The light was never changed the remaining 5 days of the stay, I didn't complain, just figured it was part of basic housekeeping. The bathroom had no American outlets, (3 prong, 120 volt) I prefer to use my own hair dryer and had to use the single plug in the room to do so, I also had to use my hair straightener while sitting on the bed with no mirror. My last room complaint, the floors were dirty! They felt dirty to bare feet and let a new pair white pair of socks brown that I had on for maybe an hour. I was sure to always have on flip flops.

I had no problems with the breakfast food. I found it to be the best meal of the day and learned to fill up as much as possible in the morning. The one thing the buffet was missing was daily mimosa’s and bloody mary’s, every other resort I have been to offer these at breakfast, not here. The staff at breakfast were awful, I would sit with empty plates in front of me while two or three servers nearby would stand and talk instead of clear plates.

We ate lunch at the Yucatan as we spent our days at the beach. The buffet there is very crowded and similar to the dinner selections. I don't remember having one good meal at lunch. The food was greasy and unappealing to the eye, even worse to the taste buds.

Dinner was not good, unless you like to eat tasteless food you are limited to the salad bar. The guests ran around the buffet as if they have never ate before, completely rude to other diners, as if nobody else was around. Out of 6 dinners at the Tequila, I only had one good meal from the buffet, which was on Mexican night. The staff at the dinner buffet were nothing above average. I also didn't like how close together the tables were, they were an inch or so apart. I wasn't comfortable sitting so close to other guests or even talking with my husband for others to overhear. This was the same at breakfast. We tried the Mexican restaurant, it wasn't worth walking back to the Yucatan for it. We had an uninvited guest join us there, a large cockroach, it was an outdoor restaurant to be fair.

We spent most evenings in the Sports Bar after dinner until it filled up with families and got too noisy. Again, the drinks were good if you requested top shelf liquor. The only employee at the Tequila I saw go above and beyond my week there was Andrea in the sports bar. She worked quickly to fill everyone's drinks, always came back to make sure my drink was ok and remembered what we were drinking and to mix them with the requested liquors without repeatedly having to request it like at the other bars.

Wi-Fi was a joke, I don't care much about Wi-Fi while on vacation, it is nice to able to connect to communicate with family back home. (I didn't set up any international plans on my phone and planned on using Facebook or iMessaging to communicate.) There was one night I couldn't connect at all. Once you are on you have 90 consecutive minutes to use it, after that, you must wait 24 hours to connect again.

The towel service was terrible, you were allowed one towel a day. The towel service doesn't open until 8am, if you like to head to the beach early, you are stuck taking the towel you used the previous day since they won't issue you a fresh towel at night...it made no sense to me, I have never seen this happen at any other resort.

The walk to the beach isn't bad, from our room it was .55 miles, it took just over 10 minutes walking at a casual speed. The beach walk is only open from 8am-11pm. If you like to hit the beach early for the sunrise, expect to add another 5-7 minutes to your walk, you will need to further down to the Yucatan and walk through their resort to get there.

We used the Spa at the Yucatan, we did a 50 minute couples massage. The massage was relaxing but seemed very routine, the price reflected the service we paid for so no complaints.

Overall, if you are traveling to Playa for the beach, definitely book an oceanfront resort, this was my first and last time staying off the beach. This wasn’t my first Riu, but it was the worse I have experienced. There are many better choices to stay at in Playa, the Tequila would have been an awful first time experience for me, I wouldn’t return to Mexico if I didn’t know better. The Tequila is missing the class and service the majority of resorts offer in Playa.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Christina W
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here from 8th - 23rd July with my wife and 15 year old son. Firstly I wanted to say that this is a great hotel for the money and overall we had a good time - met some really nice people. Deciding on a rating was really tough for me since I don't think it fair to mark the hotel down due to the clientele but OMG I have never seen so many Chavs (Common Brits) in a hotel before! As has previously been mentioned this accounts for some of the comments like 'the buffet was out of this world' and 'the entertainment was fantastic' - it was average for a hotel of this price in Mexico - nothing wrong with that mind you but lets set expectations. Don't get me wrong there was no bad behavior but some quite loud people, a few falling into the bushes and also sadly using them as a toilet. One guy dragged out the pool drunk with the life guard throwing buckets of ice over him to cheers from the pool bar!

The above said overall my experience was positive. When we arrived a good 40 people got off the coach and I thought check-in was going to be a nightmare. So wrong - they had everything ready including a cool drink and within minutes we were in the room with the luggage following swiftly behind us. We had room 1105 which faced into the jungle and was very private. Quiet too so it suited us. Overall I was impressed with the room, it has traditional Mexican decor but was clean and not a mark on any of the furniture. Beds comfortable, fridge well stocked and I actually liked the bathroom set-up with the curtain and separate shower and toilet. Only personal preference but my son didn't like the tie in with Pepsi instead of Coke and that meant no Fanta either!

The grounds were well kept and the buildings freshly painted and spotless. Room service excellent and overall staff worked really hard to make your holiday. As previously mentioned Wi-fi was slow and you only get 90 mins per day unless you pay a fortune. Recommend you book into Block 32 and use the Starbucks Free Wi-fi (no password required) or failing that walk over to that block and logon.

The pool area was really good, pool warm but clean. Swim up bar was great and service really quick. Bar staff efficient but I wouldn't term 'friendly'. Drinks were really good quality with top brands available. One issue for me was we were told 'straws' are banned at the pool bar! mmm..but not at the other pool or at the swim up bars in the Riu Yucatan or Playacar I might add. No logic! Issue is without a straw your drink separates and goes yuck after a few minutes - it needs a stir. No trouble getting sunbeds agree though. Talking about rules, make sure you read the 'Riu Rulebook' in your room, even then you might get caught out! Towels are the biggest issue, on the first day we wandered down to the Yucatan to enjoy the beach. I handed in my towel cards and was told 'didn't you read the rules - you have to get towels from your own hotel and cart them down to the beach'. I explained I was new and asked for an exception to avoid us having to walk all the way back to the Riu Tequila pool and then back again in 32 deg but oh no - not even if I left a deposit. I complained to the manager and even the Thomson rep was rebuffed when he tried to help us. Very poor service and rude attitude experienced. Second issue was when I tried to change a couple of wet towels at the Riu Tequila and was told 'sorry only one towel per person per day'. Wondered why they take your room number!

As I said before the buffet was average, you could always find something. I was nice being able to eat in or out too. The al a cartes I found all pretty good and it was great you could book them as many times as you want. I didn't have any issues getting one if around before 8:30 but sometimes the sittings available were limited. The Asian buffet was good, make sure you ask for the Fried Ice Cream, it wasn't on the menu and we only knew about it from Tripadvisor. We had the mixed fajitas at the Mexican which came sizzling on a hot plate with a separate pot of tortillas. The steakhouse deserves a special mention. Pedro the manager was great and really friendly, we had some great meals. The steaks were pretty good and the Shrimp Kebabs excellent we also tried the ribs and chicken.

One thing I missed about this hotel was a proper 'lobby bar' and also the lack of proper coffee machines around the complex. Too much press button, on the other hand the lobby bar at the Yucatan was great and had a proper machine and someone who could make a proper coffee too! Talking of the Yucatan and the Playacar we spent quite a bit of time there so I will be doing separate reviews. It is a definite bonus having the use of all three resorts, they are very different.

Overall the bars in the Tequila were good and service was fast and friendly. Drinks good quality and top brands available. The entertainment was average, but I did think the Mama Mia show was very good and the 70/80s night. Not for everyone I agree. The entertainment area got very hot so be warned! I wonder if the Sports Bar, the Night Club and the title of 'Club Hotel' were drivers of the 24/7 drinkers, the Yucatan and Playacar were much more laid back. Used the Sports Bar to grab a coffee and cool off but other than that not exactly my idea of what to do in Mexico i.e. watch football and play pool. Everyone to their own I guess.

We went into the town which as 70 peso in a taxi. The main tourist centre on 5th Avenue has free Wi-fi sponsored by MasterCard. Just download the app and go. Good mix of traditional Mexican shops and famous names like Victoria Secret.

So would I go back? Probably not, watching the entertainment next to two chavs whose beer bellies were so big they couldn't fasten their shirts is not my idea of fun. If your thinking of getting a tattoo on the other hand coming here will give you some really good ideas about what is available! Shame the Riu Playacar is closing for refurb so given that I might try the Riu Yucatan next time.

Room Tip: Good for Block 32 for free Starbucks Wi-Fi
9  Thank SteveFussy