“Tequila boom boom!!!!”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #55 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This is our 3rd time in Mexico but 1st time staying at the tequila and it won't be our last. Can I start by saying we hired a private taxi from the airport to the hotel and it was brilliant no waiting on the bus for people, we were out of the airport in about 20 mins and straight to the hotel would defelinty do it again. Check in was quick and easy and cases to our room in about 10 mins we asked for 1st floor rooms which we got so we were happy we were a party of two couples and our rooms we next door to each other what more could we ask for.
As all other reviews have said the rooms in this hotel are spotless yes they are a little dated but towels bed linen etc always very clean and changed daily our maid Benjamin did a great job and always left us towel art animal on our bed thank you.
Some reviews say that the coatis are a pest not at all IF you don't feed them as you are asked not to they do not bother you at all they just wander past the babies are very cute.
I must mention Andrea in the sports bar where we went every day after a day at the beach she was a lovely friendly girl who was always smiling and remembered what you wanted to drink she always kept her bar and surrounding tables spotless she made the best chocolate martini thank you Andrea.
The kiosk bar what can I say.......... Florencio you are a star you are the shot man from Mexican flags to B52 to making up a shot in your countries colour's we did read before we came people saying drinks are watered down after a night at the kiosk my husband and my cousin can say 100% they are not watered down!!!!!!!!
All waiters in restaurant to many to name were wonderful very friendly and helpful nothing to much trouble for them as for the food plenty to choose from every night we went to steak house food was ok nothing special manger on that night was very rude and abrupt just wanted you in and out he was the only one like that in the whole 2weeks we were there.
We went to the beach every day as there was a great breeze and loads of beds available the beach and water was out of this world.
Animation team were great and always on the go they were not pushy at all if you didn't want to take part they would just leave you, there were no children in our party but they seemed to be very good with them, the shows at night were very good.
We did Congo bongo's which we enjoyed and would do again we booked gold members through our Thomson rep Lauren.
From the start to the end the tequila had it all and we are already looking to book for next year.
Well done to you all keep up the good work.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank grahamgaffer

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed at the Riu Tequila the last 2 weeks of July, the weather was glorious 14 days of sunshine. We had an excellent time & met some pretty amazing people.YNWA

The hotel decor is very authentic hacienda style Mexican, which oozes personality.
The rooms are a decent size & very spotlessly clean. The rooms are all equipped with an iron, ironing board,soft drinks,water,optics consisting of vodka , brandy & of course tequila. The air conditioning worked brilliantly essential with the high humidity levels. I would also like to give a special mention to the most brilliant towel art that greeted us each evening when we returned to the room; teddy bears, giraffes, elephants you name it we had it during the fortnight.

I also need to mention the Coati's that live in the hotel grounds, they are members of the raccoon family. We found them very cute & very entertaining to observe. We were so taken with them if it were possible we would have one as a pet.

The staff at the hotel are second to none; I would however like to give a special mention to the animation team; Fernando, Mike, Viktor, Daniel, Karla, Brisa to name a few but they were all excellent. They had tireless energy throughout the day, never pushed you to join in but if you did they made it so much fun & you had the chance to win Riu T shirts, hats etc.
The shows in the evening were very good a mixture of outside acts & Riu animation team teamed with the Riu dancing team. I must admit my favourite were the Riu staff due to their talent & the amazing choreography.

The food was very good in the buffet restaurant. We also went to the steak restaurant & to the Asian both of which was very good. We didn't try the Mexican. The frozen cocktails were the best we ever tasted on an all inclusive, ask Rose behind the bar at the Kiosk there is nothing that she doesn't know how to make.

The beach was amazing, white sands, pure blue seas, palm trees & an excellent buffet restaurant.
We did find the Yucatan a bit too modern as in it lacked character & the Yucatan main pool was a bit rowdy.I did however enjoy escaping from the beach & grabbing a strawberry daiquiri & laying on one of the many loungers in the pool.

Playa Del Carmen itself is well worth a wander for a few hours;5th Avenue is full of bars restaurants, bars, well known stores & souvenir shops. They also have excellent Mayan outdoor shows that take place around 6pm each evening by the square by the harbour.
The Thomson Reps were excellent, I recommend participating in Jamie's walking tour of Playa Del Carmen which is free & takes place on Thursday afternoons, it's very informative & a great help on where to go & what to do during your stay.

I would definitely recommend an excursion to Chichen Itza. Thomson's guaranteed we would be the first coach there and we were, we missed all the crowds so we were able to take amazing pictures. It's also well worth catching the 30 minute ferry ride to the island of Cozumel, the fare is pretty cheap too.

We have only 2 minor points that we could moan about;
1. The cost of the pool tables, these were approx £1.50 a game.We have stayed in other resorts of this standard or higher and haven' t been charged.When you got a 13 year old teenage boy it becomes a pain.
2. The wifi you get 90 mins free a day, which in theory doesn't sound that bad (most resorts we have been to this has been free & unlimited) unfortunately it has to be exactly to the second 24 hours after you last logged on. This strict timing causes connection overload.

If you want a hotel that caters for all ages with lot's to do, great food, drink & entertainment chose the Riu Tequila!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank mrcornelia
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Riu Tequila 21st July to 4th August 2014 and we absolutely loved the place!

As a couple in our 20's we wanted a hotel that was quite active around the daytime and had enough on in the evenings to keep us entertained, and the Tequila did this perfectly. In the day time there were plenty of a activities going on (volleyball, water polo, water basketball, aerobics, dancing etc) and the evening shows were always good.

Room cleanliness was excellent, the maid visited everyday with fresh towels and made up the room, and the minibar was refilled every couple of days.

Food at the Tequila exceeded our expectations, there is SO much choice at the main dining room and it was all to a very good standard. It's quite annoying to see reviews on here slating the food, so I would ignore these!! It's was fantastic. We also visited the Mexican, Steakhouse and Asian restaurants which we all enjoyed. The Mexican wasn't to our taste, but still the service was good and there was a lot of choice. The Asian and Steakhouse were that nice we went twice to each! Absolutely gorgeous.

Plenty of sunbeds to choose from, no problems with getting one, but we did have to set out alarm for 7.30am (which everyone seemed to do)!

All of the bars have plenty of drinks to choose from, don't just stick to the cocktail list! My boyfriend regularly asked for an "amaretto" or "baileys" type of cocktail and the staff made up different and random drinks for him! Mexican Flag shots are a must... Not the best tasting!!! But... You must do one before you leave! There's also the "Mayan Sacrifice" shot which was a killer. The name says it all! But they set these shots on fire and across the bar, it does look brilliant! Give them a try.

We also went into 5th Avenue 2 or 3 nights whilst we were on holiday, a short taxi ride for around 70 pesos or 7 dollars. Loads of bars, restaurants and designer shops! I would recommend that if you want a few drinks/good meal ask to be dropped off at Coco Bongos, as everything is around that end! If it's the shops you want, ask for 5th Avenue. You can also walk down the beach into 5th Avenue and it brings you to a bar called Señor Frogs. Again, this is a great bar selling food as well as drinks, and it gets very busy! Always worth a visit!

Trips wise... We went to Xel-Ha, Chichen Itza and on the FatCat Catermaran. All were fantastic and we booked through Thomson.

Overall, a really lovely hotel and we loved our holiday! *****

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Melksss
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was out 3rd return to the Tequila and it was as good as ever. I would add we have never returned to any other destination 3 times in the past. The rooms do need an update but they are not tatty and are spotlessly clean. It's more a case of decor than anything. We travelled with a 4 and 8 year old who totally love the resort. There is a good kids club but mine wouldnt be dragged away from the pool. The reception and pool areas are lovely, with the grounds adding a lovely relaxing tropical feel. We did venture across to the Yukutan and cant say I'm a fan of the ultra modern grey and neon pick everywhere, please do not do this to the Tequila!!! The Yukatan has a totally different vibe, much more crowded and noisey than the Tequila.
The food is as good as ever with plently of choice. It does get a bit repeatative but having stayed at other all inclusives this is one of the best dining areas and food quality.
The Thomson trips are very expensive, I would advise booking direct online as we did to do the dolphins, we were collected and returned by Dolphin Disovery and had exactly the same experience only with a good $150 saving! We have booked with the travel companies before and notice no difference in the service. My husband highly recommends the sea fishing with Captain Ricks. This was booked via the Thomson rep at his request as it was not advertised.
All in all we would happily return again. This resort has everything, location, beautiful beaches a short walk away, good food and accomodation and lovely staff. Riu I beg you please dont ruin this lovely hotel when you upgrade it!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Amanda G
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We have just returned from our holiday in Mexico staying at the Riu Tequila. We have had a fantastic time and I just wanted to share my thoughts with anyone unsure of what to expect. This is the first real review that I have done after many years holiday-ing so it must of been good. We didn't do any excursions (that's my wife and 16 yr old son) we just wanted to have a relaxing time.
It was the first time that we have stayed in a Riu chain hotel. I was very impressed. The service was second to none. All the staff had a smile on their face and couldn't do enough for you. Those little things made all the difference. On arrival, there's no queuing at reception, they are ready and organised giving you an envelope with your keys and a map of the complex, including your room. Your cases are delivered to your rooms almost instantly.
At first I thought 'this hotel is too big I don't know if I am going to like it' but it was completely the opposite there is so much space and your free to loose yourself if you want a bit of privacy.
The food is amazing, usually on holiday towards the end you start wondering what you are going to have when you get home because you have had enough of the food, but this was surprisingly different. There was so much variety that we did get those feelings and trying the Asian and steakhouse restaurant was also a nice experience. Again, the staff were amazing.
I agree with other comments about the sister hotel, the Yucatan. Someone said to us that it was a bit Miami Vice, at first I didn't know what they meant but I realised when I first saw it. I would say that it would appeal more to our American friends with their more brash, loud and upfront attitude. It was lovely and clean but too clinical, not like the Tequila with its Mexican charm.
The beach is beautiful and we spent half of our time there. The second week we spent the mornings around the Tequila pool. Staff would come around with trays of drinks as you were lying there in the hot sun, another nice little touch. The Animation team were great fun and you could do as much as you want without being forced. We tried our hands at French bowls and shuffleboard most days with a game of volleyball thrown in and then down to the beach for the afternoon. By joining in it gave you a chance to meet other happy people and in all the time joining in I did not hear 1 grumble in the 2 weeks.
The best thing was the 'Kiosk' bar, what a great place to be whatever the time. It was a great meeting place and again the staff were brilliant and seem to have as much fun as the guests.
The entertainment was fine with some real good performances to keep everyone in the holiday mood. The animation team doubling up as great performers in what ever show was on.
We were there for the world cup final and again the hotel went out of their way to make sure the guests had a good time. In the sports bar, the place was done out with chairs placed around the bar to create a great atmosphere. With face painters and hooters handed around it was a fun afternoon. Another nice touch was the world cup BBQ and world cup cake which was handed out.
The all inclusive really works and I couldn't imagine going to this complex without it. There was no drunkenness, no queues at the bar just an all-round excellent service with the blenders making the cocktails going ten to the dozen.
This was a trouble free holiday and great fun. You could not find any faults(not that I was looking) ok, there was one. The watersports staff seem a little reluctant to let you take out the equipment using any excuse they could, including 'it's too windy, it's not windy enough, we had not made a reservation, the sea was too blue, there's too many fish in the sea and there's too much sand on the beach. In the end after going there everyday, the staff got to know me and realised I was not going to be fobbed off. If you want to use the catamaran, reserve it the day before. I would definitely go back to a Riu chain hotel and I have done a few other chains in my time.
Right, I have gone on far too long, I think I have given you the reader my thoughts on the hotel Tequila and this little part of Mexico, next time we will venture out a bit more and actually see the place but with all the amenities, great service and staff it was pointless leaving the complex.

Room Tip: our room was fab! no tips needed
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank ian r
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was one of the best holidays I've ever been on! From the food to the rooms everything was perfect! The Thomson staff in the hotel rep Jamie was as helpful as he could be and went out of his way to make your holiday perfect!! I've made friends on this holiday that I'll remember for the rest of my life and some we've decided to stay in touch! I'd highly recommend anyone to stay here. And you have to go swimming with the whale sharks!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Hpoolluke
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I traveled to the Riu Tequila at the end of July beginning of August with a group of 10 people and can definitely say that we all enjoyed our stay. We had some people take tours, some stay at the hotel and relax, and some stay at the hotel and have a more ''upbeat'' time.
We arrived before our check in time (3:00) so we headed towards the lunch buffet. The buffet had a decent assortment of foods and everyone was able to find something. However still in clothes we came from the plane on it was HOT however that is to be expected. Upon being able to check into our rooms we were pleasantly surprised that they were able to put us all close to each other and in a central location. No one had any complaints about the rooms except that the AC in some wasn't as cold as others (our room personably got ice cold).
For the duration of the week we spent time at the Yucatan beach mostly with some time spend at the Playacar beach and some time at the Tequila pool. No one was a fan of the new look at the Yucatan as it looked like a life size Barbie house. However the lunch buffet was better there than at the Tequila or the Playacar. The Yucatan has a lot more activity during the day which was nice for our upbeat guests and the Playacar was a lot calmer for our calmer guests. The pool was better at the Playacar in my opinion because it was a lot less crowded and didn't have tiles on the bottom (your feet with start to rub on the tiles and get raw!) The pool at the Tequila was our least favorite as it always seemed cloudy and even left a nasty film on our sunglasses if they dipped into the water.
As for dinner and entertainment we tried out all 3 specialities, our favorite being the steakhouse followed by the Asian and then Mexican. The Mexican restaurant is by the beach and there are TONS of Mosquitos (not to mention the food you get there is similar to the buffet on Mexican night) The same is true about the Asian as it is a buffet and they have an Asian night at the buffet anyways. The drinks were as good and we never had a complaint (ask for a BBC or Dirty Monkey, some of the staff knows how to make them and they are delicious!)
The entertainment at night was always good and we never had trouble finding a seat. During the day you never really spend time at the Tequila as most people want to enjoy the blue water at the Yucatan or Playacar but judging their entertainment staff was also excellent as they were always having an activity and talking to you. We went to the 'disco' one night at the Tequila but left quickly after our feet stuck to the floor, it was as if they had never mopped! It also didn't smell the greatest so we enjoyed hanging out in the lobby or outside the show area.
Overall it was a very good vacation. We stayed at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya at the end of May and can definitely say it didn't live up to the quality over there, but had so many more activities and options for our large group. Oh! And the coati animals are definitely a must see, they are almost like pets in the way that they act. Please feel free to send me any questions! Happy traveling!

Stayed: July 2014
#79 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
#30 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!