“Loved this hotel!”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #50 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Loved this hotel!”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Visited the Riu Tequila for 2 weeks arriving on the 22nd July, flew with husband and daughters aged 18 and 14. Flew with Thomsons on the Dreamliner and this was a very good experience for a 10 hour flight.

The staff and service at the hotel was fantastic and nothing was to much trouble, was more than happy to tip and this was greatly appreciated Rooms were cleaned to a high standard every day and the towel art was impressive, loved seeing something new every day.

We had our wedding anniversary at the hotel and we had a fruit plate, towel art of two swans together and the bed made up in a special way. The hotel also offer you a special meal at the steakhouse which is booked on your behalf.

There were always plenty of sun beds both around the pool and also on the beach and signs about not reserving sun beds which most people honoured.

The food at the hotel was very fresh with a wide choice for all meals. We went to all the speciality restaurants, my favourite was the steakhouse though the kids preferred the Asian.

The beach, what can I say, white sand, palm trees and warm sea all the colours of blue. If you went into the sea up to your waist you had a variety of fish swimming around you, the sea was so clear you could see the bottom even in deep water. We have travelled wildly and I can honestly say this is one of the only beaches that compares with the Caribbean.

The wildlife at the hotel a amazing. The coatie's are out in the early morning and the evening and are harmless and fearless, saw adults and babies close up as well as lizards and othe exotic animals.

5th Avenue is worth a visit and don't be afraid to haggle, brought some lovely mementos and they threw in a free bag in one shop.

One thing that needs improving is the internet, needs to be more accessible and more available.

Would we go back, definitely in a heart beat. I keep looking at the photos and wishing I was back there.

Room Tip: E-mail the hotel direct in advance, emailed twice in the evening British time and got a reply both t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Fergie f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,342)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My Husband and I Stayed at the Riu Tequila from the 27th July until the 10th August, I can say only good things about this Hotel, we really enjoyed our stay and will be back again next year with all our Family. The rooms are large well furnished with minibar which is re-stocked every 2 days, very clean. Great food always fresh, great variety something for everyone, all day long. The service from Reception, Bar staff, restaurant, pool area, beach is exceptional, you really can't fault this hotel and the resort.
We flew with Thomsons, excursions are very expensive, book locally there's a tour operator and kiosk by starbucks five minutes walk from the Hotel, competitively priced.

Room Tip: Room 2168 overlooking the Golf course, very quiet nice location on complex
4 Thank Sonya M
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is my 7th trip to Mexico staying at an all-inclusive resort. 5 times in Playa/Riviera Maya and 2 times in Puerto Vallarta. I've stayed at a different resort every time. Riu Tequila is at the lower end of the resorts I've stayed based on the following:

1. Hotel Staff is nice but this is the first time that I didn't get on a first-name level with any of the staff members. The only time we got waited on in the restaurants was when they offered coffee in the morning or wine in the evening. Other than that we had to get everything ourselves. Even the specialty restaurants were buffet style. Not one time did a staff member take our drink order around the pool or at the beach. Every other resort I've been to had staff members that interacted with the guests.

2. Tequila grounds and pool are good. Aesthetically, the resort is beautiful with trees surrounding the pool and animals running around. However, we like to spend time at the beach too. We ended up staying 3-4 hours at our resort in the morning then spending the rest of the day at Riu Yucatan. It's a good 10 minute walk to the beach from our room. So when you go, you need to pack everything you might need for the rest of the day because you can't just easily go back to your room.

3. The beds suck, for me. It's literally like throwing a sheet on top of some plywood and sleeping all night on that. If you like firm beds then you will love these.

Other than this, it's a solid resort. I would stay at the Riu Yucatan if you are choosing between the cheaper Riu resorts.

Room Tip: The closer you can get to the lobby, the closer you are to the beach and breakfast/dinner buffet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LonghornJack
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Our first time in Mexico and to a Riu hotel...... we will be back ! Beach was the best I have ever seen. Food, drinks, service all fantastic value for money. If you are thinking of booking do not hesitate. We stayed in room 2313 at the end of June until the 11th of July.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank julie f
Warwickshire
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was our second time at the hotel and it was as good as the first time. The hotel is situated a 5 minute walk form a small set of shops and about 5 minutes to the beach. The rooms are nicely presented although the beds are a tad uncomfortable. The minibar for soft drinks is filled every 2 days and there is always whisky, rum and teuquila in the optics in the room. The rooms are cleaned daily. We had no problems getting sunbeds in the morning.

The breakfast is great and caters for vegetarians too. The only slight disappointment was the choice of vegetarian in the evening especially on themed nights such as Asian and carribean. The vegetarian food such as pasta could be better labeled however, the food was always fresh and hot. The waiter Jermias was excellent and always ensured we were seated at the same table and had a lovely dining experience.

We travelled on the new Dreamliner with Thomson which was a great experience. The only negative about Thomson was that as we had been there before we did not go to the welcome meeting, but the reps did not check to see if we was ok/enjoying our holiday.

One word of warning re the airport though - they do check cigarettes/alcohol being taking into the country and will charge you the tax which tends to me more than you paid for the cigarettes,

Altogether a fab holiday but would liked some more TLC from Thomson's

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Steppy355
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife and I came to Playa the week of July 27 2014, as part of a group of friends and relatives, total 10 people. The trip was booked through Lomas travel and we flew out of San Antonio, TX.

Transportation to the hotel from Cancun (and back on the return trip) was via a mini-bus dedicated to our group. The drivers were very helpful, professional and on time (a good thing in Mexico!)

Arrival at the hotel was early (around noon) and we couldn't check in till 3:00. That was no problem because we were "banded" immediately so we could access all the facilities, including the lunch buffet, the pool and the hotel beach. Our room was nice, a little out of the way and quiet. I was worried about that part but all in the group were placed in the same block so our neighbors were also friends.

We had several trips we wanted to do but when we approached reps in the hotel lobby, we were told that it would be best if we booked with Lomas since we traveled with them. We were also told that our best chance of finding their rep was to go to the Riu Yukatan lobby since he spends most of his time there. It's only a 2 min. walk from the Tequila and we found him immediately. His name is Ivan Hernandez but he also goes by Edgar and/or Delgado. Very friendly and very helpful. We booked three tours: Chichen Itza, Snorkeling and Swimming with the Dolphins. We were very happy because I know we got good prices (I checked with other people in the tour and nobody got a better deal) and some extras thrown in for free (we swam with the Manatees for free). Tip: Even though our rep (Ivan) was very professional and everything went without a hitch in all three tours, I'd advise to pay with a credit card. At least you can complain to the CC company if something goes wrong. If you pay cash (I did, not knowing better) then you may be out of luck. Luckily no problems but you never know.

Tip: when you book these tours they give you a paper ticket and tell you: "No ticket, no taco". In other words, don't lose it or you are screwed. I found out the hard way in the snorkeling tour when I thought I had given my ticket at the door. In fact I had not but I was under the impression I had. When I told the gentleman organizing the people together for the trip that I didn't have the ticket, his demeanor changed immediately. Very cold and "No senor" all the way. I blew my fuse a bit until I realized I did have the ticket. From that point on it was all smiles.

We really liked the hotel and the staff. Everybody was very nice and cheerful. Didn't have any problems at all. The buffet is OK to good (in my opinion) but don't expect haute cuisine in an all inclusive. One thing is for sure: you won't be hungry.

On our second day we took a taxi to the 5th avenue where all the stores are. We were told the fee was US $7 and no driver asked for more. Tip: negotiate the price before you enter the taxi. However, if you walk 5th Av. all the way to 28th St., the trip back is $9-$10. Our mission was to find Casa del Habano so I could pick up a few Cuban stogies. Unfortunately we weren't able to find it but a quick email to Alejandro (apparently the owner) set us right and we went back the next day. It turns out they had just moved to a new location and the information on the internet wasn't right. They are now located on 5th Av. between 26th and 28th. Alejandro wasn't there but his assistant, Miguel, was ultra helpful. Picked up 5 cigars for $160. The most expensive was a Cohiba pyramid for 600 pesos (12.5 pesos to the dollar at that time). Overall very happy with the purchase. My only regret is that I didn't pick up a Cohiba Behike 56 (1000 pesos) but the little woman was with me and she had conniptions. Of course, that means we have to go back!

Very satisfied with the hotel, Lomas tours, Casa del Habano and the entire experience. Would definitely go back.

4 Thank Elias K
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at the Riu Tequila from the 29th July til 12th August 2014 for a very reasonable all inclusive price. In advance I had asked for a first floor room close to reception and, on arrival, found that the room was what I had requested. Check in was straightforward with a nice drink on arrival, with towel cards etc.

Room was a good size with a nice view of gardens. We found it nice and quiet even though it was fairly close to one of the restaurants. Minibar and optics in room were good. Bedding changed every day. TV reception was poor but you don't go all inclusive just to sit in your room!

Weather was hot hot hot and very humid in all areas other than toilets and bedroom! We found it quite hard to adjust to but after a few days we got more used to it.

Pool area was nice and we enjoyed watching the sports and just chilling out. BBQ and coconuts etc were a nice touch.

Food was varied, we tried the a la carte but preferred the buffet option really, especially given you have to book the a la carte really early in the morning. Don't bother going to the beach restaurant, we found this one to have poor quality food & rude staff the complete opposite to the rest of the hotel. It was great for lunch is there though. Liked the sports bar to catch up with some footy- nice and cool in there too.

Staff were friendly and drinks very good- we thought the cocktails were great and worked our way through the menu!

Travelled with Thomson who were excellent! Would recommend this hotel to everyone really, despite it being a 5 minute walk to the beach, although being older in style we preferred this compared to the Yucatan and its garish pink makeover!

We believe the hotel is going to have a refurb- it would be a shame if they lost the Mexican feel to this hotel, the only things they could improve are aircon in more areas,wifi & maybe new sun loungers as the plastic gets very hot!

3 Thank jennyonthemove
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#61 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#40 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!