We just got back from a two week stay at the Riu (Jan 30th to Feb 13th) and must say that we cannot complain about anything. We arrived late in the evening but our check-in went smoothly and we were in our room by about 12:45. The snack bar is open 24 hours, so we found our way there for a snack and a couple drinks.
Our first impression the following morning was "Yes, we can spend 2 weeks here easily" The front lobby is very rich looking and spacious, lots of plants, seating areas, and the reception staff are courteous and most helpful. The grounds are impeccably manicured, gardens are beautifully kept. All staff from the reception to the gardeners are friendly, always offering a smile with their greeting.
Our room was a good size with a large closet with lots of hangers!! There is an in-room safe in the closet. The resort has been renovated recently, so everything was fresh. Our housekeeper, Eddy, did an amazing job, always suppling fresh towels, toiletries, etc. We also got a new towel art animal just about everyday!! We did leave him a tip each day (about 20 pecos) and the beverage guys came around each day, late in the afternoon, to see if you wanted any extra beer for your fridge (they fill the fridge with assorted beverages every other day). There is also an in-room liquor dispenser for your convenience with tequila, vodka, rum and gin.
The food was wonderful. The main buffet was excellent, both breakfast and dinner. So many choices, from the salad bar to the hot foods. Perhaps not as much seafood as we would have liked, but their roasted and barbecued meats were fabulous. The steak house meal was also very good, our steak being cooked perfectly (melted in our mouths). The light breakfast and lunches at the pool house restaurant were always good, lots of choices. The coffee from the espresso machine was really good. We had it most mornings at the pool house. The ice cream from the machine was so good - really cold and refreshing.
We enjoyed our walk to the beach along a shaded path, often spotting a few monkeys on the way. You could also take the shuttle if you so desired. The beach was beautiful, lots of chairs to choose from, either in the sun or under the shade of the palms. The surf was quite rough the first part of our visit, but the most enjoyable walks, in either direction. The "sand whales" along the beach offered some protection for the shoreline against the rough surf, but DO NOT walk on these as they are extremely slippery when wet. Several people were hurt on these while we were there.
The pool was always spotless inside and out. Lots of chairs to choose from, again in the sun or in the shade. The night air was cool so the water temperature was very refreshing during the day. The lounges in the pool are a lovely way to relax and take in the sunshine, while cooling off at the same time! The entertainment staff were so friendly and entertaining. They have programs running from late morning until about 5pm, if you wish to participate.
The service was excellent at the pool bar. Our bartender, Feliciano, would see us coming and have our drinks on the way. Always friendly, laughing, playing around with their patrons (rolling a lime under a knapkin toward unsuspecting people). The mohitos were good and the beer always cold. We do suggest taking insulated mugs for your drinks as it doesn't take them long to warm up!!
There is a little shopping plaza just a 5 minute walk from the resort which has everything from souvenirs to jewellery and clothing. We also made our way in to Playa Del Carmen along 5th Avenue. A taxi ride is about 5 minutes, 50 pecos.
This was a wonderful vacation away with that someone special. The service and surroundings truly couldn't have been better. We would certainly recommend this resort and wouldn't hesitate going back. We met some really nice people with whom we shared some time together (Kris and Don, and the "Cracker Kids' family from Richmond Hill). This is an amazing area to vacation in, so much to see and do. So much history and culture to explore.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The All Inclusive ClubHotel Riu Tequila, is located approx. 800 m from the long, beautiful Playa del Carmen beach of the Playacar residential estate, along with the Hotel Riu Palace Mexico, Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Hotel Riu Yucatan and Hotel Riu Playacar hotels. The location is ideal due to its proximity to Playa del Carmen (3km) and Cancún International Airport (CUN) is approx. 55 km away. The hotel has 584 comfortably furnished rooms and offers many amenities, set in 48,000 sq.m. of lush gardens. A luxurious golf resort is located nearby. There is a complimentary hotel shuttle to the beach. 2 outdoor pools, 1 children’s pool. For the youngest guests, there is the RiuLand Kids Club (for children from 4 to 7 years & 8 to 12 years old) and for adults, day and evening entertainment, discotheque. For lovers of gastronomy, we offer live cooking stations at our main buffet as well as Asian, Mexican cuisine, Steakhouse, 4 bars situated in various areas of the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, getaroom.com, Stayforlong S.L., TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Tequila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Tequila Hotel
- Riu Tequila Mexico
- Hotel Riu Tequila
- Riu Tequila Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Tequila
- ClubHotel Riu Tequila Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen