“Read this honest review!..not great but very good, above average resort!”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #50 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
toronto
“Read this honest review!..not great but very good, above average resort!”
Reviewed 2 March 2009

We (a group of 9 in out mid to late 20s) were at the Riu tequila from Feb 22- Mar 1. This is my 5th all inclusive and 2nd in mexico (the other was the Bahia Principe complex in akumal, which was phenomenal and i would highly recommend that). The Riu tequila is definately the best out of the 4 Rius in Playa del Carmen (not including the 2 Palaces) in terms of food / rooms / resort atmosphere. This is how i would rate the 4 non-Palace Rius (1. Tequila 2. Yucatan 3. Playacar 4. Lupita).

The Tequila is a 5-10 minute walk to the beach which is at the Yucatan. The Yucatan beach is the widest beach amongst the resorts on the strip (there are about 5-6 of them) I recommend taking a walk down the coast (toward the SW) where there are no sandbags or resort loungers as there are no more resorts after about a 10-15 min walk. The beach is beautiful there, great for phots. im not going to comment on the sandbags. there are no rocks in the water anywhere along any part of the beach and swimming there is amazing.

The pool is good, quieter on some days and rowdier on others. there is a lot of shade around the Tequila pool so in the late afternoon, it could get a bit cooler, relatively speaking. Pool bar is good. there is a pool bar at the yucatan as well. thats where we got our drinks from when we were at the yucatan beach.

The food is good, not great, not bad, i've had better at other All inclusives. The lunch is definately the best at the Tequila and I found the dinner buffets to be not too bad as well. The a la cartes were ok, nothing to brag about though. I find Rius to be fairly similar in all things....you've been to one and youve been to them all pretty much.

Drinks are usual all inclusive quality so i wont go into it much. the resort serves dos equis beer on tap and bottles in the room. its quite a light beer. Liquor and mixed cocktails and drinks are same as any other all-inclusive.

This is not really a place for young singles (20-30 yrs old) to meet other people that are in that age group as the people there during my stay tend to be older, couples, or families.

Evening Shows are recycled and somewhat entertaining but more on the not side. Unless there is some audience involvement, its not too exciting. They try to put on a good show for everyone though.

This is my second time to the Mayan Rivera so i didnt do much in terms of excursions. send me a msg if you want to ask a question about them though.

We partied in Playa del Carmen on 4 nights. Its about a 5 min cab ride....for about $4-5 USD. The disco at the resort was a 6/10 at best. We went to the Coco Bongo, Coco Maya, Blue Parrot, Dubai, plus a bunch of smaller bars. My tip is you really have to negotiate the cover charge as they will try to rip you off. we had a few places asking for $10 USD and we ended up walking in for free. Coco bongo is a bit tougher because drinks are included once you are in. Its quite a cool place to go as its a show/disco, on some nights, they will advertise $50 USD to go in....we went on a thursday ngiht and ended up paying $18USD. bars close at 5am so we usually went around midnight and stayed till 3-4am. Beers inside most bars are around $3 USD each

The rooms at the tequila were newly renovated about a half year ago and you can tell. The rooms arent huge but big enough. I was in a room of 3 people and it was fine. we just got an extra bed put in.

If you tend to get mosquito bites or allergic, make sure you bring something to treat it as there are mosquitos around and even in the room sometimes. The problem is when the maid cleans the room, he/she will just leave the door open.

I cant think of much else to write, so if you have a question. Please send me a msg! Hope you enjoy your stay if you are going soon. Truly a wonderful stay. its not a 5 star as advertised but a solid 4. Dont be picky and just have fun!!! Wish i was there still.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
17 Thank kc_2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,341)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Newton, MA
Reviewed 1 March 2009

We stayed at the Riu Tequila for a week and the only bad experience was when we first arrived at 11:30 at night. The person at the desk couldn't find our reservation at first but that wasn't as annoying as food not being served that late at night. There were only a few cold sandwiches in a cooler available. However, as soon as that situation was out of sight and out of mind, we had the BEST time! It was a great trip. Everyone was helpful, everything was convenient and there was plenty of food and drink!

4 Thank betabachey1407
Philadelphia PA
Reviewed 1 March 2009

We were just at the Riu Tequila from 2/22/09 to 2/25/09

First of all, we are from the U.S. and we were probably in the low 5% of people that were, mostly people from England, Canada, Germany, Italy, etc. stayed at this resort.

I have been to over 2 dozen islands (Bahamas 5 times, Jamaica 7 times, St Martin 7 times, Aruba 3 times, Turks & caicos 1 time, Punta Cana 1 time, St. Lucia, Martinique, all sorts of resorts: Sandals, Beaches, Breezes, Hedonism, etc) and all inclusives and this was the worst that I have ever been to. The hotel itself is very nice in structure, décor, but NOT in service or in FOOD. I was very disappointed.

First of all, it is NOT on the beach. It’s not even on the same side of the road as the beach. You literally have to go out the front of the resort, cross the street with traffic and enter this long walkway that brings you to the beach. Not very convenient if you have to go back to your room for anything. Or you can take a golf cart that makes rounds but not between 1 PM and 3 PM. Usually there are more people waiting for the cart that fit and I can say that people were not so gracious as to allow the people that were waiting there first to get on, it was pretty much a RUN for it!

The pool was nice. It is actually 2 pools with a building in the middle that housed the lunch buffet and bar. The one side of the building had a swim up bar, the other did not have access at all, so you would get out of the water, put your shoes on and go into the building for a drink. The only complaint I had about the pool is that you have to get up LITERALLY At the crack of dawn if you wanted a seat. I have never been to a place before where you had such competition for a chair! We would be at the pool around 8:30 AM and most of the seats were taken or “reserved” which made me even more mad. I saw people “reserve” their seats and then go to the beach!! What is that about?? Just in case you want to come back? WORST OFF…we had many many many people from England that would reserve seats in the sun AND in the shade! Then they would lounge in the sun until they got hot or whatever and then move onto their shade chairs. This meant that for each of them, they were reserving 2 chairs! So I am guessing it was NOT the resorts fault that most others that arrived at the pool later than 7 AM did not have a chair to sit in! This was every morning we were there. I call it ridiculous! Sorry. Half the time you would look around the pool and see most chairs never used at ANY part of the day! Those people could not have been in the pool either because there were only a handful of people in the pool at all because the water was so freezing cold.

The beach is not much better. After you drive there on the golf cart, if you are lucky to push someone else out of the way to get on it or walk across the street to the pool, then you have to walk up and down searching for chairs. Even 2 together. The thing I hated about the beach, was not the big sand bags in the water, which were not a big deal at all. It was that the chairs are about 7 inches from the very next person, on either side. There is not even anywhere to pull the chairs out of line to move them. I felt literally like people were on top of us. I could not have a discussion with my husband next to me without people on both sides, hearing us, listening, watching. NO PRIVACY what so ever. In Aruba, you could have many seats on the beach grouped together and then several feet at least, in between you and another group of people traveling together. I felt like I was at the Jersey shore here. ON TOP of each other. Then of course, we were there not even 5 minutes when I got asked to buy a bracelet 4 times, I said no or pretended I was sleeping. Then I had the guys asking if I wanted to parasail 100 times, then the guys that wanted me to scuba dive, then back to the bracelet lady. I felt like saying LEAVE ME ALONE I am on vacation and it took me 40 minutes to find this chair! Ha ha.

Back to the resort…if you eat at the buffet at night (which is pretty much your only choice unless when you are up at 6 AM reserving your pool chair you can reserve your dinner seats too) because it is FIERCE competition to even get IN for reservations at night so we didn’t bother and ate at the buffet EVERY night….so here’s the thing…be prepared to sit ON TOP of the same people that you were ON TOP of at the beach. The tables for two or any table for that matter are so close that you can not even WALK between them. They leave about 6 inches in between the “cafeteria style” eating and you can HEAR everything that the people are talking about, for goodness sake, I could hear them CHEW! Then you have to have those that want to WATCH you eat. Look over at what you put on your plate up at the buffet. I wanted to turn my head and say to these people “it’s up there, go get some and stop watching mine”. I wanted to have conversation with my husband, you know in private, not sitting elbow to elbow with some guy from Germany and his wife that watch me chew. I felt my husband and I were communicating in expressions of our faces and tilts of the heads just so no one can eaves drop anymore.

You do not get a waiter, or you might if you flag one down. No one seemed to be assigned to us at any given time. My husband would go up and get his food, come back, put it down then go back up for our sodas or juice. You don’t have to worry about doing this and your food getting cold, because it already will be while you are standing in the 20 min or more buffet line holding your plate.

We by no means, consider ourselves food snobs or interested in FINE dining but we like good food. There was none there for us. Breakfast had raw bacon every morning, I never took one slice because it looked transparent with fat and undercooked. Runny scrambled eggs, every morning. Oh, but you can have toast, also if you want to wait 15 minutes in line with your bread and your other food gets cold. They had good ice cream, that was about it. The pancakes were gross, the omelette line was seriously the longest of any line you will stand in there, so I didn’t even attempt to stand in it, figuring my husband would be completely done his breakfast before I even sat down, so I skipped that but now I can see why it was so long because there was nothing else that looked edible. I can only put it this way, I felt like I was at fat camp. I did have some salad although the entire time I was there, not once was romaine lettuce offered, just curly purple kind with my Caesar dressing and stale croutons.

Oh another thing that I guess would not bother anyone else OTHER than Americans is that there is NO KETCHUP. No Heinz Ketchup offered anywhere, not for eggs, not for French fries, not for your hamburger, NOTHING. They have “catsup” that is Brown and the consistency of water if you want to try that. I was brave enough to try it once and then decided to stay away from it.

I did not expect to pay all that money and be fed cold cuts that looked like they have been sitting out for days and hamburgers that were made with onions in them, with NO cheese even offered to make it a cheeseburger. They had raw looking hot dogs soaking in sourkraut if you like that. Everything looked like things were just recycled of what was left over at dinner. Who serves FRIED CHICKEN legs at breakfast???? Never in my life did I see that. Fried, egg battered cowlyflower. Gross!!

The best part about standing in the long line holding your plate anxiously awaiting your turn to see what slop was served that day, was the RUDE Europeans that would just walk up, move in between two people to get what they wanted instead of waiting in line like everyone else. That happened WAY too often. I guess they figured the common curtousy did not apply to them. Who knows.

I was extremely disappointed and will never return back to Playa del Carmen and this also turned me off from ever staying at a Riu hotel again. I heard many other people that were from Canada expressing their disapproval for the food also.

The resort itself looks like it was built very nice, good décor, but that’s about it. The room was very clean other than the 2 cockroaches that we saw on our last day in our bathroom.

Our room was very far away and when you did arrive at your door, I hope that you have good hand coordination with no site and what I mean by this is that the doors are black…you have a regular key, not a key card…there are 2 doors to a hallway, NO LIGHTS GO ON in this little hallway until at least 7 PM when most people are either back in their room already or out of their room eating dinner so it is VERY VERY VERY VERY (can’t emphasize this enough) difficult to SEE your keyhole and put your key in. We felt blind. You could not see anything in front of you, I would have to use one hand to feel all around the door for the hole, keep my finger on it while my other hand had the key and I had to feel whether the teeth of the key went up or down and try to slide it in. This frustrated my husband a great deal everytime we came back to our room. NO LIGHTS! Dark hallway= hard to put your key in. It would take us a good 5 minutes to even get the key in the hole. Which doesn’t sound like very long but it is when there are mosquitos buzzing in your ears that you can’t see and you are swatting away with zero free hands.

The resort itself had a lot of lush trees around it. Making a GREAT home for all the stray cats that I guess were using it as their giant litterbox. I have a cat at home but these are wild cats were are talking about. They had chunks of body missing, missing fur in spots, beat up looking, all in heat as well. We saw many of them “getting down” right on the path to our room. This happened several times a day. You would hear that sound they make while in heat. Gross. We saw several POSSUMS!! Do you believe that. A POSSUM!! I am not mistaking these for the other animal life they have on the resort, I will get to that. These are possums that if you saw them in your back yard you would call animal control because of rabies and they are gross and EAT TRASH. They were right near the part of the buffet that people were eating outside, the one possum was walking inches away from a woman’s feet that didn’t even know it was there. They were on the white colored family also, which I have never seen in PA. Gross rodants.

The animals that look like half monkeys and half raccoons are not that bad. They seem friendly although I didn’t want them near me. My husband fed them some roll from dinner that he took with him, people were feeding them all over and then taking pictures. You would see one, throw a piece of roll and then blink and see 30 of them. Seemed harmless. They only really came around as the sun was going down. Not like the all day cats! Then there was the animal that had no tail, looked sort of like a squirrel family? Not sure what they are called, they were all over too but didn’t seem to bother anyone. They were more scared of anyone near them.

You can go across the street to other Riu, just not the Palace one. They wont even let you in with the bracelet that we had. Which is strange because one day, we went in with no one saying a thing then the very next day walked back over and was not allowed in. Probably because it was around dinner time and they thought we would eat there. You are not allowed to. In fact, you are not allowed to eat dinner at any other hotel other than your own.

Nightlife…there was none. A bar near the show stage, we would hang there, get drinks, wait for the show to start around 9:30 and then leave because the shows were AWFUL. From dinner time until 9:30 when the show starts they filled the stage with the many kids and let them hit a piñata or something. The most of parents that where there the week we were, just let their 8-10 year old boys run around. When I say run around, I mean LITERALLY RUN. Here you have adults, sitting at tables with drinks and the tables were pretty close together and then nightly we would have these boys RUNNING all over in between these tables with NO parental supervision at all. I am a mother of 2 boys and would NEVER let them do that or act this way. Where were these parents??? It was every night!

They do have a Sports bar , they call it with a bunch of tvs with pretty much ONLY SOCCER on and then a whole bunch of sports posters around. This housed a bar, the internet computers (which you purchase in increments of 15 minutes) and pool tables, air hockey, all that you need coins for. Then they have a refrigerated case with premade sandwiches and then next to it, a microwave, napkins, etc. I guess in case you are hungry after the buffet closes at 10 PM. The “restaurant” that you make reservations for is pretty much where the swim up bar is during the day for the lunch buffet that they convert into the steak house, there are no more actual restaurants.

Another thing to note, I run a business and brought my lap top with me as I always do thinking they would offer wifi to purchase in my room , but the hotel does not have wifi. So don’t bother taking your own computer at all. You have to go the sports bar and sit there and wait for a computer to open up while all the 8 year old boys that were previously running around, were now hogging all the computers to online chat with their friends back home. The computers are just inches away from each other with text book sized privacy walls in between which allow for NO privacy at all. People can stand right over you and read your emails. Not exactly what I had in mind to check in my business and answer business emails. I carried my lap top for no reason at all.

I saw a building near the stage that said “Disco” on it but it never once opened while we were there, so I am not sure what the deal with that building is. There was nothing to do at night at all. As soon as the show would start , you could see people getting up from their seats and just going back to their rooms. Thank God I brought a good book or two. The t.v. had mostly all Spanish channels so you could put the closed captioning on and read if you wanted to but my husband was not too keen on that. We did not go there to watch tv, but like I said, after dinner, not much choice.

There is a bar in your room. Probably the nicest feature of the hotel, large bottles of Evian water, liquor if you wanted it, sodas in the fridge, stocked every 2 days if you needed it. I was actually surprised they offered that to you.

All in all, I would obviously not return nor recommend anyone to the resort. I thought that the other people that left negative reviews might have been nitpicking but I should have listened to them. I think that everyone that raves about the food must be from England or Canada as well. Not sure. Because I was not served ANY food in the 4 days that I was there that I actually ate and enjoyed, NOTHING. Oh, Ok, maybe some torilla chips dry. That’s it. If you eat a steak or mystery meat, then be prepared to chew for the entire time you are seated, IF you can cut it, since we were only given butter knives to cut, so cutting is the first hump to get over, then chewing.

NEVER AGAIN...back to Aruba for me!!

7 Thank islandgetawaygirl
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Stayed Feb 15-22/2009. I found other reviews quite accurate. This is a very well run, clean 4 star hotel. To eliminate confusion, the Tequila, Yucutan and Playacar are essentially attached and similar. You can enjoy it all and its like one big resort. The tequila was further away from the beach, but a short nice walk. However, it had nothing over the Yucutan which was closer to the beach so that would be my first choice out of these hotels. Keep in mind that the 2 Riu Palace hotels which were off limits are more posh if that's what you're looking for - these other RIUs are not posh, just nice and clean, large facilities.

The buffet food was the best I've had anywhere and always great anytime. The a la carte restaurants, well, forget about them. for some reason they are not set up for this and show a weak attempt at trying....which is puzzeling since the buffets are much better. go figure.

Drinks were any way you'd like them, and best of all....NO LINEUPS! No lines for food or drinks any time, even though it got quite busy. The staff busted their butts for guests and never hinted for tips. This place is just not a tipping resort...which is cool because I've stayed and resorts where its 'no tip, no service.' and I don't mind tipping. This all made the overall value great, to the point where I wonder how they offer what they do at the price.

Our room was blah. Nothing special and more 3 starish. The resort is quite nice so we didn't spend time in the rooms.

The town of Playa was a nice walk away or a 50 peso cab. Xel Ha is 35 dollars to cab to and so well worth it.

Water sports are free except Seados. We used the Catamaran sailboats - you can buy lessons then use it for free. However, any real wind and they close them off when the red flag is up. We used the free kayaks too.

The beach is great, and yes, the huge sandbags are crappy. this beach has been rebuilt very nicely over the last few years by pumping sand back out from the ocean. The people here in Mexico do a great jobs for tourists and were hurt by the hurricane. I think they deserve our loyalty since this was before and is becoming again one of the best beaches in the world.

Oh, the Riu Lupita is a dive and old. Not sure but I think they bought it from some other company. We went through it and it was no comparison. Not walking distance to other RIUs.

10 Thank sunsunsunVancouver
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 25 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Riu Tequila from February 1-15, 2009. This review will go step by step from the airport to the rest of the stay.

BEWARE at the airport – once you are cleared customs and on your way, you will go through a set of double glass doors where the timeshare sharks are ready to bite! We were asked by a young lady where we were going and we said Riu Tequila – she showed us to “Oscar” who would “help us”. Never having been in this situation, we were led astray and talked into a 90 minute presentation of the new Krystal hotel in Cancun. We were told we would be picked up and returned to the Riu and were also promised 2 tickets to Chichen Itza for $400 pesos which is a huge saving. We paid upfront which was our mistake – the day that Oscar was to come, he never showed up. My husband waited at the hotel lobby for over 1 hour – talked to our Sunquest rep and she said this often happens. We chalked it up to a bad experience and vowed we would warn others.

The Riu Tequila is AMAZING!! Check-in is a breeze. We booked the resort knowing that it was not on the beach and were very thankful for the walking as we did not gain any weight after all the eating over the 2 weeks. The rooms are a wonderful size and the shower is particularly good. The beds are comfortable – not as hard as another resort we stayed at. The resort is spotless – constant work is being done by the maids, groundskeepers and various other staff to ensure that everything is in order. We did leave tips every day for the maid – 20 pesos. The hotel is also in a great location. We could walk to Playa Del Carmen – 3 km and did this often.

Food – my husband is a picky eater and was very happy with all the selection at each meal. We did have lunch a couple of times at the beach restaurant at the Riu Yucatan. Not nearly as good. We also had breakfast one morning there. Did not like it near as much – very congested food area and not as many choices of food. At the Riu Tequila we went to all 3 a la cartes – Mexican (not great but you should try it yourself), Asian (wonderful – even for my husband) and Steakhouse (awesome!). The staff work tirelessly to serve and we noticed we seemed to be the only couple who left tips for the dinner staff each night. We were told by another couple that these waiters make 2000 pesos a month which is roughly 200 Canadian. They work 6 days a week, split shift, 10 hours a day. That works out to 77 cents an hour. Give them a 20 peso tip – they deserve it!

Drinks – The drinks they serve are the real thing. Bartenders are very accommodating and we especially loved Victor at the bar by Theatre.

Entertainment Staff – They work tirelessly to provide daytime activities and evening entertainment. There is no pressure from them to participate if you don’t want to.

We booked a Chichen Itza tour through Best Day Travel. They used a 14 passenger van that you could almost stand up in. The seats were very comfortable and the tour stopped at a store for a rest and shopping, then Chichen Itza, lunch (included), a cenote for swimming – this was amazing and refreshing, and also stopped at Valladolid, a colonial city. The entire day was about 13 hours which was long but well worth it. Nice to have a small group as it was more intimate.

We also booked Xel-ha through a rep at the ADO bus terminal. It, again, was worth every penny. Do not do this as a Tulum/Xel-ha tour as you will not have enough time at Xel-ha. It is huge and there is so much to do.

We took the ADO bus into Cancun one day – primarily to see the Hard Rock Café, then hopped the city bus. We also took the ADO bus to Tulum. It is a cheap mode of transportation with very comfortable, clean seats. Movies are shown but of the 4 we saw, 3 were in Spanish.

We also took the ferry to Cozumel (another Hard Rock Café!). Make sure you take Gravol or something as the ride is quite the experience. Many people were sick, thankfully not us. Also beware of the shop keepers – this was the worst place for them following us around and begging us to buy stuff.

The beach, sand and colour of the water is amazing! No problem getting loungers here. Also, at the pool – if you want a lounger in the sun you must go out early.

The Riu Tequila is a resort that caters to everyone’s needs. If anyone complains about anything, they are either too picky or just plain rude.

12 Thank LDoyle
Toronto
Reviewed 24 February 2009

This hotel was great!!!!! It is so close to the main town in Playa del Carmen so you can go out if you like the night life. The staff is great!! Every staff member was really friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and nice. The hotel was not on the beach but it was across the street literally 30 second walk and if you want to be really lazy there is a golf cart that will drive you there. You have access to all the other RIU hotels so when you are on the beach you don't have to go back to the hotel for lunch you can eat at the RIU yucatan. RIU tequila is cheaper in price then the RIU yucatan and it is nicer!!!!! the food is a lot better as well!!!! who cares if you are a 30 second walk from the beach!!!!!

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
9 Thank GinaToronto
Northern NJ
Reviewed 23 February 2009

First let me say that this is the 3rd time we stayed at this hotel. We like the location (we don't mind the walk to the beach) and the kids used to enjoy going to the Kid's Club.
Unfortunately, we were disappointed to find out that "someone" got stolen my ipod from the inside pocket of my backpack; and we didn't notice this until we got to the airport. (they must've known we were checking out and decided to steal it at the last possible minute). It's not like the ipod it's expensive but the thing that upsets me the most is that it took me a couple of years of collecting songs from friends and different places to get so many songs in there that I'll never get again.
The ipod was the ONLY thing we didn't think of leaving in the safety box! So be careful not to leave any valuables out.

Another dissapointment was the Kid's Club. My kids used to love going there and this would give us a couple of hours of a break so that we could play volleyball. Unfortunately, the guy in charged of the kids this time didn't have enough chemistry with them and seemed like he didn't want to be "bothered" by the children. He always showed up a 1/2 hr late to open the kid's club. And then he would have the kids color, or do silly games that the kids found really boring, so they didn't want to go. We were glad that our children made friends with other kids their age so that they had someone to play by the pool. (or at the beach).

We stayed in room 1605 which was one of the newer rooms. It is smaller than the Jr Suite we stayed at last time. We had 2 double beds (that they had put together) and a cot. This arrangement left very little room to move around, but we didnt' mind much since we were in the room only to shower and go out again. We spent very little time in our room. I was surprised to see the old kind of tv in the new room as oppossed to having a plasma tv. One thing that we found annoying was the noise around our rooms (especially in the early morning, around 2am-3am when people were returning from partying in town, or around 7-8am when other people were leaving for breakfast). One evening we heard a couple fighting (girl was screaming and crying) but it only lasted for a few minutes.

I can see that the food could be a little boring after a few days but we seemed to be able to find something we liked every day. I didn't care much for the desserts - they were too creamy, rich, etc. I would've preferred something sweet but on the lighter side.

And yes, I agree with other reviews when they say the entertainment team (Animacion) is excellent! they do as much as they can with whatever little resources/experience they have. You can tell they are amateurs (only one of them is a professional dancer) but they do their best, and because you spend so much of your time playing and interacting with them is sort of like seeing your friends perform on stage. (i.e. you clap and scream "Bravo!" the same way you would do to a friend performing, but deep down you know they really suck!!).

Yes: take something for the mosquitoes. Our kids really got some biten during the night. (thank god for Caladryl!). And take PLENTY of sunscreen (different SPFs, aloe vera, something for the sunburn, etc) because they charge SO MUCH money for them everywhere in Playa. They were asking about 260 pesos for an Australian Gold sunscreen!!!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
8 Thank CoolNJmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#61 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#40 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!