“There is a reason why it's a Riu......”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #48 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Toronto, Canada
“There is a reason why it's a Riu......”
Reviewed 11 March 2009

First off I just wanted to say that I traveled with my mother, (54) and my 5 month old son for a little get away. I was very nervous because we were leaving my husband at home and this was my sons first trip away.....It was AMAZING. I have been to the Mayan 6 times now, staying at Riu,Secrets, Bahia, Grand Sirenis, Blue bay, Barcelo and in 3 weeks Grand Palladium. This resort is 5 star for a reason....cause it is and I should know. I wish I was going back there instead
The reception staff were out of this world and if there was anything wrong with the room, (not enough water in the bottle) they were there before I hung up the phone, really I do not know how they did it.
It was so safe for my son and there is nothing to worry about pertaining to the water, the resort is built on a water filtration system so bathing him or washing his bottles was safe. I just used bottle water for his food. The crib was there and everyday they made sure I had a 12 pack of water for him.
The food...GREAT. I am a pretty healthy person and there was endless amounts of healthy choices every meal From fish,chicken,pork, steam veggies and hamburgers with fries, there was everything really and the A la Cart's were just as good as a "real" restaurant .
Everything was taken care of and it made it so easy to travel with an old lady(hahaha) and a baby.
If you did not like the wine they give you...just ask them to open a bottle and they will at no extra charge....just remember to tip cause then you will always have a bottle waiting for you and always ask for you drink to be made with premium liquor. The sports bar was awesome and is open 24/7, so if you like Bailey's or Kahlua in your coffee before 10 a.m. go there...I did! :}
The beach is just a 10 minute walk from the resort but I love to walk so I loved that but if you do not like walking there is a shuttle that will take you there every 15 minutes but not from 1-3 p.m. they are on lunch! The resort itself is small enough that your longest walk would be to the lobby and that is not more than 5 minutes but if you want a nice walk you can adventure out in the Playacar streets safely and make it how ever long you want...I would after dinner and check out the other Riu's get a drink and go on walking some more, even with my son...NO worries it is very safe!
I spent time at the Playacar and at the Yucatan but I still liked everything about Tequila better and would suggest to go there, it is a lot nicer and newer. I did like the Yucatan lobby bar, ask for the pepperoni drink...YUM!
Normally I will go to any resort in the Mayan if it a 5 star only and a pretty good price but I think that I am going to stick to the RIu, even if it is a little bit more because you get what you pay for. The only complaint was that my husband was not there with me to enjoy everything but next year he will be or maybe even sooner, I hope.
If you have any question about this resort or any other questions about the Mayan, I've been there , seen it and probably have the answer...so ask away please!

One more thing check out the spa located in the Yucatan entrance, there are lot's of things that are free and included so check it out, it was great and that is were the fitness center is...BEAUTIFUL!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
9 Thank chichi_amore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, England
Reviewed 11 March 2009

This was my second visit to the Riu Tequila. It really is an amazing hotel and I would recommend it to anyone. From families, young couples, groups of friends...it has something to offer everyone here!

The rooms are a nice size and very clean, the cleaner comes in every morning/afternoon to clean it, they do a good job too. You get clean towels everyday, both for beach and for showering. Also you have drinks dispensers on the wall, and a stocked mini bar (has 7up, orangeade, beer etc) which they change every 2 days.

Swimming pools are kept clean, they clean it at night and a man is cleaning it throughout the day. There is a pool bar, the only bad aspect is that you tend to get the drunken groups at the pool bar each day. Not really a problem for me as i found it funny watching them, but sometimes its nice to just relax without the sound of loud people getting drunk. But not a problem as there is another side of the pool you can sit around anyway.

Drinks and food are really good at this place. You can also ask for brand names i.e. smirnoff, havana club and you will get it. Bar staff really friendly, especially after tipping them a few times, they remember your order (in fact all the people working in this hotel are really friendly, waiters, animacion team, cleaners etc). There are 3 restaurants, steak house is defo the best but u need to book at 7am for this. Its REALLY good food here. The main buffet restaurant is also really nice, they have a barbeque sometimes too which is good. So much to choose from that you will never be able not to find something. Good quality too.

Entertainment is also good, but sometimes does get a little bit boring as its quite samey, they do put a lot of effort into the shows and most of them are really talented!

I definitely recommend this hotel and I would defintely go back. Missing it already!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
12 Thank London_Amy_England
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2009

I arrived back to Canada on Friday March 6th....I spent two weeks at the Riu Tequila and my extended family joined us for the last week. There were 6 adults and 3 kids. We had a fabulous time. My only one complaint would be the smell from the drains/toilet in the rooms but that was it. The food was delicious, the beach was fabulous the staff was really and I mean really friendly. I usually don't like the night shows, however this time I was at almost every show. This resort is about a 25 minute walk to town which I walked a couple of times. If you booked there you won't regret it, you'll have a blast!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
8 Thank mouse088
Bristol
Reviewed 6 March 2009

Don't usually feel compelled to write a review but having jusr read a very negative one i feel i must respond. The service i recieved was the best i have enountered and i have stayed i 5 different hotels in an around cancun, including the much hyped moon palace. The rooms were spacious and clean and the food in all areas was outstanding with so much to choose from. The towel service was great and all the staff were the most friendly i have met with a goot understanding of many languages. Yes there were sellers on the beach but they use the whole beach area so this is not the fault of Riu and a polite no was all that was needed. I can only assume the person who wrote this negative review got this hotel confused with somewhere elss. Would I go back? Tomorrow!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
15 Thank NicandVic
Northumberland, England
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I read hundreds of reviews and did my research before our trip so I knew what to expect and to be honest I was very pleasantly surprised.

Check in was the easiest and most hassle free ever and after a 10 hour flight it makes a huge difference. Walking to our room, every single member of staff we encountered and guests too said hola and were so welcoming that we immediately felt relaxed and loved seeing the funny little animals on the way.

The room was spotless. A little bit of a squeeze with a cot in it but no biggie as we don't go on holiday to spent it in our room. Stocked minibar and optics a nice touch but to be honest we barely used them as we had cocktails at the beach or around the hotel. The shower was great - very powerful and nice and hot. Our two year old prefers baths so as the shower was large and quite deep we simply added a plug and he splashed away in there quite happily.

I ummed and ahed over which of the three rius in this area to book as we booked last minute with Thomson and they were a similar price but we're so glad we picked the Tequila even though it wasn't on the beach. You'd have to be particularly lazy to find getting to the beach a hassle - literally a five minute walk and a pleasant one at that and if you couldn't manage that then the golf buggy would take you. At other resorts, not being at the beach might be a hassle but as you can use the bars, restaurants etc at the Yucatan and the Playacar we found it perfect. I prefered the grounds and the staff at the Tequila and it has a great feel to it.

FOOD
I've been to quite a few all inclusives so knew not to expect top end food but the Tequila and the other Rius compared favourably. Breakfast is good with plenty of choice and very slick chefs on the egg sections. Lunches and evening meals were good too. There's a good choice and the food is hot. I like good food and didn't find a hell of a lot to complain about. Yes the steak isn't melt in the mouth but I didn't expect prime fillet! The grilled fish was delicious and think we had fish every day as it was cooked to perfection. Salads were lovely and fresh and there were some great vegetable dishes and yummy desserts too. For beach lunches I think the Playacar has the edge over the Yucatan as there was more choice and it was just generally nicer. As far as the bookable restaurants go - we tried the steakhouse which was okay but no better than the buffet really and also the asian buffet restaurant which again was okay but nothing to write home about. I've eaten in some fab asian restaurants so it was never going to compare but then again I didn't expect it too.

DRINKS
Loved the fact that soft drinks/beer/wine/coffees are available throughout the resorts as self service as in previous hotels it was irritating to have to queue for simply a glass of water. The rose and red wine are drinkable but the white is awful. The cocktails I had were great and mainly stuck to Margaritas (lots) and mudslides which were fab. Found the bar service at the Yucatan much less friendly than at the Playacar and the Tequila for some reason but it was only noticable because the rest of the time they were so brilliant.

THE BEACH
The beach is lovely - yeah so there are sandbags but given the choice between no beach or a beach with sandbags I know which I'd prefer. The sandbags look much worse along the beach at the Iberostar hotels so the Riu's have the best patch. As I expected the sandbags they really didn't bother me - I was too busy enjoying the beautiful turquoise water and soft sand to notice. Other reviewers have mentioned being hassled by sellers on the beach but apart from a couple asking if we wanted jewellry or trips we were never bothered - simply said no and they left us alone. I never felt hassled or harassed by them at all, everyone has to earn a living after all. We never had a problem finding loungers on the beach or by the pool. Yes, they're quite close together on the beach but moving them is not a major hassle should you so wish.

TRIPS
We planned to do a few trips but only ended up doing one - heading to Cozumel for the day. My husband actually operates boat trips at home so I'm pretty used to boats but the ferry ride to Cozumel was tough to say the least - very hot and very rocky and lots of sick bags being handed out so be warned! On arrival at Cozumel we were bombarded by sellers and the hustle and bustle wasn't what I expected at all. I thought we would simply jump into a taxi, go to the nearest beach and snorkel but I think we would have been better off staying at Playa Del Carmen as the beach we went to (the one beside Paradise beach) wasn't worth the taxi fare/ferry ride to get to it and to get decent snorkelling we would have had to take another boat ride. In order to use a sunbed there was a minimum spend at their restaurant/bar for pretty mediocre stuff on an okay beach.

We had planned to go to Xcaret in our second week when my parents arrived but as they only had a weeks break they were happy chilling out instead. It's supposed to be great though.

ALL IN ALL

We had a great trip and nothing really to complain about other than the odd mossy bite which is to be expected when you're surrounded by jungle though amazingly our two year old remained unscathed. After a relaxing hassle free fortnight we'd definitely come again or try another Riu elsewhere. Great time was had by all and we were very sorry to leave. All the staff at the Tequila deserve a special mention as they work tirelessly to make your holiday a good one.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
16 Thank Bombshell88
fremont, ca
Reviewed 5 March 2009

Contrary to the previous review, i find Riu tequila very clean and well maintained. Early in the morning, we saw staff cleaning the bar area (not just wiping/sweeping, but scrubbing the floors) and even the walk way and stairways that were hardly ever dirty. At night, there were some games for everyone, music playing, dancing and performances. We saw that even those from the neighboring Riu hotels cross the street to ours coz that's were the happening is. During the day, there are scheduled activities for everyone including kids: free demo dive on the pool, beach volleyball, sack race, yoga, etc. I really felt that they keep their guests well entertained. At the beach, those guys that offer jet ski rides/parasail etc were very friendly, I didnt feel like they were pushing their services too hard on us. They even reminded guests that kayak/paddle boat/wind surfing is free. And if you do decide to go kayaking, you wouldnt have to worry about leaving your stuff on the beach chair, we were assured that nothing will be lost and that was always the case.

Even if some of their staff are short in english they would try very hard to help you, even the guard by the entrance has a ready sheet of paper with a sketch of the road for when guests ask for directions.

I would recommend Riu Tequila to anyone. The only downside is, they dont have available internet access (wifi or network drops) in their rooms. You would have to use one of their computer stations in their snack bar, which is open 24hrs a day and pay a small fee. For most of the hotels here in the US, free internet access is very common, even the smallest of the motels offer free wifi and you can connect even when you are in your own room. But I guess you should leave technology behind if you really want to enjoy and have a stress free vacation.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
13 Thank chinggay_a
Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 March 2009

We stayed at the Riu Tequila in Riviera Maya booked through Apple Vacations. When we arrived in Mexico, the Apple rep was nowhere to be found. We had to trek all over the airport to find them for our transportation to the resort. When we finally arrived at the hotel, the desk staff provided very little information including an important tidbit about us needing to meet our Apple representative and where. We were booked at the farthest area back in the resort as possible. The room smelled moldy, was too small with inadequate storage, the blankets were soiled and of course, there was no staff to be found. It was a major hike to get anywhere within the grounds. After much coaxing, we were moved to a different room the next day which was the same size but closer to the public. They provided a "towel card" which required you to drag a dirty towel up to the pool each day. Very little of the staff spoke English. The outdoor furniture was not clean, the bars were routinely sticky. The bar personnel behaved as though they were doing you a favor by serving you. The bars were always crowded and teenagers were allowed to sit at the bars, using up adult chairs while drinking non-alcoholic beverages. The bars closed early (10PM at one and 12AM at another). The "disco" area was pitch black, smelled terrible and was very small. There were no scheduled activities and the pools were scaly and appeared dirty. On the beach, sales persons for excursions were borderline harassing guests with shouting, interrupting conversations and siestas. The resort allowed peddlers on the beach and we were barraged daily for silver, trinkets and the like. This was by far my worst experience in Mexico and I will never return to a Riu hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
Hotel Riu Lupita
Hotel Riu Lupita
#80 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,700 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!