We signed up several months ago to stay at Riu Tequila for 10 days. Having never been there we, and another couple that went with us, read a number of reviews from other guests about this hotel as well as a number of others in the Playa area. After several weeks of reviewing comments -when we had the chance - we made our selection and can honestly say at the end of our stay we were wishing it was just beginning all over again. We will be returning.
Since everyone may have different issues, I can list a few of our experiences:
CLEAN - hotel and rooms were very, very clean
STAFF - we found them very helpful and friendly. The nightly entertainment was good,
especially the Michael Jackson Show.
BEACH it was a 5 minute walk which was fine, as beach hotels can get a lot of crowd
noise. Beach was great -lots of activities as well as food & drinks provided
FOOD to eat at the specialty restaurants you usually had to make reservations by 8
am. Almost every night we preferred the buffet, which had good food, featured a
different theme each night, and did not require a reservation. (And in the
morning, get one of Mary's omelets)
SECURITY - the Playacar neighborhood had security check points as well as at the
hotels. Never a thought of problems or theft & the in room safe is a nice feature.
HOTEL layout of hotel & grounds were impressive, with a variety of small native
animals that roam. The individual buildings were limited to 2 floors, which
was nice - although there was some 3 am noise from doors closing loudly
from the young party crowd. Still, a large majority of the guests were families
with children or couples from a variety of countries.
ROOMS were of good size with private patios or balconies. Beds were OK (a little hard)
and pillows were a little flat for my taste - but my wife thought they were fine.
LOCATION is central to many areas. Town is a $5 (8 minute) cab ride, beach as
mentioned, is a 5 minute walk, Wal-Mart a 12 minute cab ride, Xcaret 15
minutes, Xel-Ha and Tulum less than an hour away - but take the time to do the
last two on different days because they are worth it for different reasons.
HINTS Chichen Itza is amazing (the light show is very informative) but take lots to drink
(Selene with Grayline gives a terrific tour).
I understand that some of the tour stands (a couple of blocks left as you walk
out of the hotel) offer better prices than those at the hotel or online. We took a 5
minute cab ride to the ADO bus station downtown and purchased bus and
park tickets to Tulum and Xel-Ha for even less. Try the ADO bus line. It uses
new Mercedes buses with more comfortable seats than the airlines and for
about $4.25 you can go about anywhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Within the resort area Playacar along with the hotels Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar * Main building and 1-story buildings * Surrounded by 48,000 m2 / 57,600 sq. Yards of lush gardens * 800 m / 2,650 ft. From the beach (complimentary shuttle) * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 300 m / 990 ft. From Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int'l Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Tequila reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Tequila Hotel
- Riu Tequila Mexico
- Hotel Riu Tequila
- Riu Tequila Playa Del Carmen
- Rui Tequila
- ClubHotel Riu Tequila Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen