“Awesome Trip”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #54 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Just back from Riu Tequila; spent the week of Jan 2-9/11. The beach was absolutely the best I've ever seen in all my travels. The resort was beautiful, snokeling was amazing, hotel clean, food was great, location perfect; only 5 minutes by cab into Playa del Carmen. We loved that area. Enjoyed the locals with their great sense of humour. Our rep advised us to go in the evening as the streets come alive with entertainment, buskers, musicians...shops are open until 11 p.m. She was right and safety was not an issue. Am definitely going to return some day.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lee1959
Write a ReviewReviews (8,256)

Reviewed 10 January 2011

Went for xmas/new yr an wat a fab 2wk we had.Idont no when i read reviews wat people find to complain about the food it was absolutly 200% if your an english man who likes his full english breakfast (i.e) eggs in a choice of ,fried,scrambled,poached,boiled,,proper crispy bacon,proper sausages,baked beans,hash browns,tomato,there u go hotel tequila...rooms were cleaned everyday immaculate with lovely things made an left on bed every otha day many thanks to the cleaners who cleaned room 1215 ,We had a lovely view ova looking palm trees an the garden area,in your room is also a mini fridge refilled every other day with beers n soft drinks,3-4 litre bottles are always in your room PLUS on the wall is brandy,whisky,vodka,gin refilled wen fridge is all FREE!!!!! all the staff an animation team were ace,so polite,my partner lost his wrist band an the thomson team had a word at reception and he wasnt charged for another one thank u thomson they were very helpfull throu out our stay..Afantastic place to visit is chitzen itza we booked it before we flew with thomson for £54 each takes bout 3 an half hrs to get ther well worth it sooo much to see,And as for the beach i thort id died an gone to heaven wen i saw it beautiful golden sand the sea was so warm even in Dec,Its no more than a 7 min walk but if you prefer ther is a little bus holds bout 7-8 people comes right to the hotel main entrance an takes you there in 2 mins..this bus runs every 2-3 mins so you never have to wait long..Beware if going to 5th avenue only 50 peso (£3) but they jump on you from all angles tryin to get you in ther shops i found that a bit too much a like to go in if i choose too..The Tequila did the best coctails ive eva had we were spoilt rotten if a drink wasnt on the drink list just ask n you got it i couldnt decide on pina colada or baileys so my second wk ther i had both mixed together as a coctail boy was it moreish lol..U will be amazed as we were them 1st few days on the animals you will come across we called them meercats (haHa) but they werent so cute,friendly and harm less we also saw iguana's just lazing round the pool none ov these animals bother you,On the whole we had a fab hol and would like to thank thomson,all the staff at tequila for a lovely holiday,we hope to return one yr.. pat an nick

5  Thank keirakenz
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Great rooms, great service, great food... In the lap of luxury ..great entertainment the best trip ive been on...Will be bringing my kids next time they will enjoy it as much as i did...And the weather was amazing

Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Fashionjules
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I would class myself as a fussy person, but Riu Tequila was genuinely a beautiful place.
I really don't understand how some have found things to complain about?!

Rooms:
Very spacious, the bathroom was always kept beautifully clean. Overlooking the trees, we had a wonderful view of the Mexican wildlife which can be seen in people's photos of the stripey tailed... lemurs? We weren't sure, but they were friendly and kept their distance most of the time anyway. Some people were feeding them absolute rubbish... please don't!

Swimming Pool:
Putting towels down early in the morning is done here. Around 7.30, the 'better' side of the pool (i.e where the sun was shining the whole day) is usually full of Riu towels of people who have gone down to breakfast.
The pool is constantly attended to by Riu staff, the area is always kept clean. Every so often, a staff member will come round with drinks which is lovely.

Beach:
Quite busy, but otherwise perfect! White sand, clear water! Hardly any people trying to sell you something which is great.

Restaurants:
The asian buffet was wonderful! I have no idea why people complained! Lots of spring rolls, prawn dumplings... please try the chocolate truffles before they disappear! They are so yummy!
The steakhouse - You don't come away from there hungry! Starters are huge, the steaks are tasty.
The mexican - Disappointing. We went once but really, the buffet was better than the mexican.
Buffet - Such choice! I've been to a good few all inclusives, but this was the best so far! Christmas saw an excess of seafood, brie, parma ham etc. They really pushed the boat out.

I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: December 2010
4  Thank LondonDLondon
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Hotel- one of the best hotels we've stayed in,the public areas were very clean, the staff were always polite and helpful.large landscaped gardens.All the hotel,grounds and resort were totally flat, which would be ideal for wheelchair users.free wifi in reception area.
Restaurant- fantastic choice, the quality was 1st class and presented well. large, always plenty of room for everyone.
Poolside- it was great to have 2 identical pools, 1 quiet, 1 with music and water games, so you could pick the 1 that suited.poolside restaurant was the main place for food through the day, excellent choice.swim up bar was ideal.
Rooms- Good size,very clean,plenty of draw/hanging space.optics in room with inc vodka,gin,tequila,rum.fridge has beer,soft drinks.
Resort - Totally flat,tree lined streets. walking distance to golf course. small number of shops 5 mins walk away,main shopping 30 mins walk away. bestbet is taxi from hotel carpark, 50pesos(£2.50) is fixed price to main shops or walmarts.
you can use 2 other Riu hotels( Yucatan/playacar)2 & 5 mins away, but for entertainment and food the Tequila is the best.
Conclusion- The Tequila hotel is the all round package,great staff,food,cleanliness,resort. we'll certainly be returning.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PAUL-CAROL54
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Hello
just got back from the Riu Tequila after a 14 night holiday over Christmas and the New Year. It was not one of the best holidays I have ever had( purely due to being ill). Nothing to do with the Hotel just bad luck and being run down after Gatwick Airport chaos. My entire trip seemed to be cursed from the start with bad luck. This 2 week holiday was very special as I have not had a 2 week holiday with my husband for over 12 years due to his work. So it was a big deal for us both. The problems started with the snow and our flight being delayed for over 34 hours. We booked our holiday with First Choice and when our flight was delayed we got no help and the person behind the help desk was rude and just walked off just leaving hundreds of confused passengers standing there, not knowing what was going on or what to do and where to go. We will be writing to First Choice to claim our Hotel money back which we had no help in booking at all and telling them how bad people were treated at the Airport.

So after getting to Riu Tequila 2 days late we were determined to enjoy the rest of our trip and were pleased with what we saw. The transfer was quick(just over one hour) and we were shown to our room straight away and had our luggage bought to our room .

Rooms
The rooms were much larger than I imagined and the beds were massive and not too hard or soft, just right. We had a quiet room near the pool, but facing the Golf Course and Jungle and the noise was minimal. The balcony overlooked trees and palms and was very private. ( room 2815). The room also had a TV with a few good channels on and a fridge and optics in the bathroom. The wardrobes were also in the bathroom area. There was also an iron and ironing board and hairdryer and a large walk in shower and seperate loo. The rooms were cleaned very well indeed every day and the fridge restocked every second day with beer, water, soft drinks etc. If you did not want your room cleaned that day, just hang your Do Not Disturb sign up outside which I did 2-3 times due to being ill. The rooms were cleaned so well I tipped every other day. I am glad the room was comfy as I spent half my holiday in it being ill.

The Pool
The pool area was in 2 halves and one was the action half and the other was the relaxing half. The restaurant where we eat lunch was in the middle and it became The Steakhouse at night. The bar here was good and buffet lunches were tasty and there was always loads of food on offer. I found the pool too cold to swim in but was happy just laying on a sunbed sipping Pina Coladas. It was hard finding beds in the sun though as people were getting up early and putting towels on them. It was like musical chairs trying to lay in the sun as the day went on and many areas of the pool became shaded. The pool area has beautiful gardens and trees and umbrellas for shade. Spent quite a bit of time around the pool.

Lobby and Breakfast, Evening Buffet
The Lobby was very large and had loads of comfy sofas and seating. The lobby was a nice place to chill out and relax and I enjoyed checking my emails via my Iphone while having a cool refreshing drink. They even had electric plugs for your phones, laptops while you surfed away. The lobby had loo's and a small shop selling snacks and a few gifts and toiletries. I had to buy some Imodium from here as I had a bad tummy last 2 days of my holiday. The little shop was very handy. First Choice Reps were also based in the lobby and were helpful and friendly . The bar next to the stage was very good and made the strongest drinks in the Hotel( we found the next best drinks were at the pool and the weakest and not so nice drinks down at the beach). We did not watch the nightly entertainment but used the bar during the day and only once at night. From the lobby you can walk to a nice Plaza along tree lined street in 3 minutes which has a Chemist and Starbucks and a few other shops etc.

The breakfasts in the lobby restaurant were very good. There were cooking stations and so much food to choose from. Think my favourite meal was breakfast times. Evening buffet meals were also good and the choice was massive, but I just got bored with it night after night after night. We booked the Steak House one night( pool area) and that was a great change and I was so full after I could not walk. It was very nice and well worth getting up at 7am for( you have to get up early and book it on the same day at the breakfast restaurant). My husband went back himself on his last night to the Steak House as I was too ill to go. Do book it as it is a nice change from buffet food. We did not bother with the other Speciality restaurant's as people said The Steak House was the best one.

Beach
The beach was a short walk down a pretty tree lined path just over the road from the hotel. We walked it each time as we got to see interesting animals and such. But you can catch a buggy back and forth if you do not want to walk it. The actual beach is beautiful with golden sand and stunning blue, green coloured sea. There are loads of sunbeds and we never had a problem at all getting them on the beach. You are using the facilities of another Riu Hotel down on the beach and I found the quality of things not quite as nice as the Riu Tequila. The drinks were not as nice at the Beach Bar, they seemed much more watered down. The food also did not seem quite as tasty. But we enjoyed the beach and it is worth going to. We found it clouded over each day just after lunch and also got very windy. One day it was quite cold down there. Time of year I guess.

Gardens and Staff
The Riu Tequila had beautiful gardens and they were well maintained all the time. I enjoyed walking around the gardens after eating in the evening. They were all beautifully lit up at night. The staff were always cleaning and doing things and the entire hotel was spotless. They were all friendly and spoke often and looked happy. I have never seen a hotel run so well. Everything was in order and the hotel was pristine. The entertainment staff were also very hard working and friendly and fun and did not pressure you into anything. The staff were amazing and would bend over backwards to help you. They were wonderful. My glass never stayed dry when drinking . One night I ran out of bottled water and rang reception and they bought me 2 bottles within 10 minutes. Now that is good service for you.

Highlights of my trip
The things that I really enjoyed on my holiday were the following. The Pina Colada's and Banana Mama's were so tasty. You have to try them. The pool bar done them nice and creamy. I enjoyed seeing the cute animals with long noses and tails around the hotel. They enjoyed my nachos too. I enjoyed how nice the staff were and how they made you feel right at home. I enjoyed the Gala nights( Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve). They were amazing. They dressed the lobby up so beautiful and had champagne and amazing buffet meals with so much choice and ice sculptures etc. It was amazing.

I enjoyed walking to Playa Del Carmen for the day along the pretty tree lined street. It took about 30 minutes and was an easy walk too. Playa had plenty of shops and places to eat and the beach was really nice . Bought a few gifts here and it was totally safe and never felt threatened once. I bought a bottle of wine too on the way back to the hotel to drink in the room. It was heaven. I also enjoyed the Fat Kat boat trip which lasted around 4 hours. Music and plenty of drink and swimming while you sail along, perfect. I enjoyed chilling out on my balcony with a Pina Colada. I also felt good tipping the cleaner and luggage man and bar staff now and then as they were working so very hard and deserved it. I loved coming back to my room and finding another towel art animal. We also got a rose off our cleaner. Nice touches that make it that extra bit special.

Negative things about the holiday
Losing 2 days due to the weather. People getting up at 6.30-7am banging doors and waking me up to book Speciality Restaurants and to put towels on beds. The corridors were really noisy and sound seemed to carry. The wine was really awful. After several days I was craving a nice glass of wine as the hotel wine was really acidic, like vinegar. The only nice wine was the Gala champagne. I was quite ill for a few days and had to spend several days in the hotel room. Nothing to do with the hotel though at all. One day I had an awful hangover( Tequila, lol) and it was 100% my own fault. But I then caught an awful cold and felt awful for about 3 days. After feeling better for about 2 days, I then got bad diarrhoea for another 2 days and was stuck in my room. I do not think it was caused by food from the hotel as no one else mentioned having it etc. I think I may of just been low from my cold and it was just one of those things. My husband eat the same as me and was totally fine. I lost 7lbs in total in weight because during my holiday I was ill with the cold and then upset tummy and did not hardly eat or drink some days. Out of 14 days( 2 lost at Gatwick) 2 lost with tummy bug and 3 lost with bad cold) I was only well about 5 days in Mexico. So it was abit of a nightmare for me. But I am glad the Hotel was so nice and the gardens and rooms were too as I spent most of my time in them.

Overview
My holiday was partly spoilt by me being ill for about half the trip, but the Hotel and staff and area was really nice and I enjoyed it when I was well. Me being ill was just bad luck and nothing to do with the hotel. The hotel was amazing. It was much better than I ever imagined. Only neg things was the wine and people banging doors so early. I hope to return to this hotel again as I felt at home here and even when I was ill, it was a good place to be ill in as everyone was so helpful and friendly. I highly recommend this hotel as the service and staff and grounds are wonderful. I also found everyone in the area friendly and nonthreatening and pleasant to talk to. So go ahead and book it, you will love it. If you do like good wine, you can just buy your own from a shop in Playa, no problem.

8  Thank RachNorfolk
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Where do we start stayed for first 2 weeks of December and not got a thing to moan about. From arriving the check in was easy and hassle free just what you want after 10 hours on a plane. Rooms were fantastic cleaned everyday maids were great. Pool area so clean the pool guy never stoped cleaning it. Never struggled for sun beds either by the pool or on the beach. Beach a 5 min stoll away just what you need after eating fresh omlettes for breakfast. There was always something to choose from salad, freshly made pasta, meat, mexican dishes every night. Anyone who says the food is not to standard are just picky it is out of this world. Drinks amazing apart from the wine taste like viniger in my opinion. That is the only fault. Serve all branded spirits the lager not bad and the cocktails amazing. The bar staff are amazing go out of their way to make sure you always have a drink especailly Felipe, Freddy and Patricia.
Entertainmeant team are good the night shows are amazing didnt really do any day activities as i am lazy!!
Out of the Riu Playacar and the Riu Yucatan this is by far the best one do not hesitate to book if you are thinking of going.

5  Thank shelly_tash