“What a perfect vacation”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #50 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“What a perfect vacation”
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Me and my 2 friends were there from january 5th to 13th and that was my best vacation in a all exclusive resort... Even if the beach is at 5 min walk, it worth the walk. This is probably one of the best beach on the riviera Mayan area... Wow... Very wide, white sand and turquoise water. The resort is very great , not as a real 5 star but very very great for the price. The food at the buffet is good and I enjoyed the Asian restaurant. Also, rooms are clean.

Because the only disco of riu resorts of the area is in riu tequila, there is a lot of young people coming at night to party all the while the are respectful. Also, the animation staff is very great and bring people to Coco Bongo almost every night. We had some much fun everynight...

The final plus is that the resort is close (5min cab , 5$ or 50 pesos) from the pretty city Playa Del Carmen.

• Stayed January 2011
3 Thank PA_Dionne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,342)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 January 2011

We just got back two days ago from an 11 day stay at the Riu Tequila. We usually go to Playa every year and have stayed at other all inclusives but the last few years we rented a place. I have to say I was looking forward to being in one place that had everything.
Overall the stay was very good.
The Good
- the lobby is awesome. It's very spacious and bright and well decorated. The free wifi is a huge bonus. I as many others, enjoyed spending a good half hour a day sipping banana mama;s and checking email on my iphone.
- the pool is great
- the restaurant by the pool has great food
- the grounds are beautiful, tropical lush paradise
- food ( sub category now...)
the food was overall very good. Obviously after 10 days you want something else. But for the first good 7 days we enjoyed the buffet. We never made it to the a la carte. I usually go to Mexico on a mission to get the most authentic Mexican food I can and gorge on it! I loved that every buffet had guacamole and it was amazing! We ate the Mexican food daily and loved it. We also enjoyed the fries, burgers , crepes etc......
Only dissapointment on the food end of things were the desserts and wine. The desserts were often just medicore, one night they had a good chocolate cake and carrot cake but other nights not so much. The wine as others have stated is awful. But all other drinks are great.

The Bad
- I can't believe the 24 hr "snack bar" has no real food. The snacks are in a fridge and are microwavable burgers, hot dogs and fruit plates and sandwhich. Really dissapointed this resort had no real food for those that come back late at night and want a snack. I was also dissapointed that the main restaurant Jalisco closed at 10:30 am. I mean we didn't go out all the time but some nights we did and sometimes you want to sleep in a little and not be rushed at breakfast.

- the rooms - first, I can't believe there was tons of liqour etc....in our room but no coffee maker!! I'm a huge fan of my AM coffee and often need a few before I can think of eating. I was not impressed to have to go to the main restaurant for my coffee.
- the room itself is an OK size and although a bit dated , I wasn't expecting much for the price we paid. I will say that the biggest concern and what almost ruined my trip was the mold that I found. I got really chesty and had trouble breathing one day and I know I'm very allergic to mold, so I went on a hunt. Sure enough, I found mold in the bathroom shower- all over the cieling. The black fuzzy toxic kind. I mean I was breathing this in for a few days. I got really sick as a result. I went to front desk and they sent someone to "clean it". Basically they scrubbed it off and that was that. With mold though, it's ususally under what you see. I got worse . A day later with a fever and breathing problems I asked to be moved. The front desk staff were pretty useless. They didn't seem to really get why this was such a big deal. I also don't get why they don't have a proper fan and all that wood in a highly humid bathroom! They did change us to a newer updated room, that was much much better. Far less humidity and smell and no mold. I was still sick but at least slept well knowing there was no mold! The new room had one small problem though, the AC was barely working.....very weak! And although the nights before had been cooler ....this night was hot! So we just sucked it up adn slept with teh balcony door open! At that point it was the lessor of the two evils.
Apart from my room debacle, the hotel itself is great. Awesome staff in restaurants and bars, great food, location is perfect. Beach is amazing and it's not a far walk at all...in fact after eating so much it's a nice welcome to walk!!!! I think that helps a lot . I would go back to RIU again but another more renovated location just because of the room issue I had.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mmsun_travelbug
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 12 January 2011

We stayed at the Rui Tequila Jan 1st to Jan 8th. Overall the resort and our experience was very good. It took a total of 3 hours from the time we landed to get to the resort. This was because the lines at customs were very long but it moved smoothly and that the van ride took over an hour to get there. Avoid the people inside the airport outside the customs area - they are trying to sell you something. All the pickup transportation is located outside.

We got our room right away. We were located in building 1900 which was away from everything and was very quiet but it was a long walk to and from the main building.

We basically spent our days at the Rui Yucatan resort which is across the street (8 - 10 minute walk or there is a shuttle) because we wanted to be near or at the beach so we could play beach volleyball. We were able to get beach chairs each day overlooking the beach and water. The beach is located down a flight of stairs. You have to get there around 8 am to save those premier spots. We also participated in their silly games, and sat at the pool bar drinking. At the end of the day we would head back to the Riu Tequila to shower & change for dinner. The water at both the pool and ocean was cool but it didn’t take long to get used to the water.

The bartenders were really attentive with no waiting for a drink order even when they were really busy. We would be asked several times for a drink order while we waited for our drinks from other bartenders. At the poolbar at the Riu Yucatan, the bartender, Filimon, was great - he would give us another drink before we finished our last one.

The "playmakers" were fun. The nightly shows were amateurish but not bad.

You had to make reservations at 7 am SHARP for the specialty restaurants since people lined up that early to secure their reservations - not a problem for us. The Asian, Mexican and Steakhouse restaurants were all very good. We went to the buffet a couple of nights and it was excellent as well. But please note that we are all "meat & potato" eaters so we are happy as long as it is decent tasting. The Breakfast & lunch buffets were very average and typical for all inclusives - basically the same every day. One side note is that we missed one day getting a reservation and just showed up at the Asian restaurant and still got in since someone cancelled/didn’t show up (suggested by the front desk).

The weather was great with clear skies almost the entire time - just the last night got a little chilly

For the price we paid it was well worth it. We would recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank VegasPat44
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Just back from Riu Tequila; spent the week of Jan 2-9/11. The beach was absolutely the best I've ever seen in all my travels. The resort was beautiful, snokeling was amazing, hotel clean, food was great, location perfect; only 5 minutes by cab into Playa del Carmen. We loved that area. Enjoyed the locals with their great sense of humour. Our rep advised us to go in the evening as the streets come alive with entertainment, buskers, musicians...shops are open until 11 p.m. She was right and safety was not an issue. Am definitely going to return some day.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lee1959
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Went for xmas/new yr an wat a fab 2wk we had.Idont no when i read reviews wat people find to complain about the food it was absolutly 200% if your an english man who likes his full english breakfast (i.e) eggs in a choice of ,fried,scrambled,poached,boiled,,proper crispy bacon,proper sausages,baked beans,hash browns,tomato,there u go hotel tequila...rooms were cleaned everyday immaculate with lovely things made an left on bed every otha day many thanks to the cleaners who cleaned room 1215 ,We had a lovely view ova looking palm trees an the garden area,in your room is also a mini fridge refilled every other day with beers n soft drinks,3-4 litre bottles are always in your room PLUS on the wall is brandy,whisky,vodka,gin refilled wen fridge is all FREE!!!!! all the staff an animation team were ace,so polite,my partner lost his wrist band an the thomson team had a word at reception and he wasnt charged for another one thank u thomson they were very helpfull throu out our stay..Afantastic place to visit is chitzen itza we booked it before we flew with thomson for £54 each takes bout 3 an half hrs to get ther well worth it sooo much to see,And as for the beach i thort id died an gone to heaven wen i saw it beautiful golden sand the sea was so warm even in Dec,Its no more than a 7 min walk but if you prefer ther is a little bus holds bout 7-8 people comes right to the hotel main entrance an takes you there in 2 mins..this bus runs every 2-3 mins so you never have to wait long..Beware if going to 5th avenue only 50 peso (£3) but they jump on you from all angles tryin to get you in ther shops i found that a bit too much a like to go in if i choose too..The Tequila did the best coctails ive eva had we were spoilt rotten if a drink wasnt on the drink list just ask n you got it i couldnt decide on pina colada or baileys so my second wk ther i had both mixed together as a coctail boy was it moreish lol..U will be amazed as we were them 1st few days on the animals you will come across we called them meercats (haHa) but they werent so cute,friendly and harm less we also saw iguana's just lazing round the pool none ov these animals bother you,On the whole we had a fab hol and would like to thank thomson,all the staff at tequila for a lovely holiday,we hope to return one yr.. pat an nick

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank keirakenz
Bryson Quebec
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Great rooms, great service, great food... In the lap of luxury ..great entertainment the best trip ive been on...Will be bringing my kids next time they will enjoy it as much as i did...And the weather was amazing

Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Fashionjules
London
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I would class myself as a fussy person, but Riu Tequila was genuinely a beautiful place.
I really don't understand how some have found things to complain about?!

Rooms:
Very spacious, the bathroom was always kept beautifully clean. Overlooking the trees, we had a wonderful view of the Mexican wildlife which can be seen in people's photos of the stripey tailed... lemurs? We weren't sure, but they were friendly and kept their distance most of the time anyway. Some people were feeding them absolute rubbish... please don't!

Swimming Pool:
Putting towels down early in the morning is done here. Around 7.30, the 'better' side of the pool (i.e where the sun was shining the whole day) is usually full of Riu towels of people who have gone down to breakfast.
The pool is constantly attended to by Riu staff, the area is always kept clean. Every so often, a staff member will come round with drinks which is lovely.

Beach:
Quite busy, but otherwise perfect! White sand, clear water! Hardly any people trying to sell you something which is great.

Restaurants:
The asian buffet was wonderful! I have no idea why people complained! Lots of spring rolls, prawn dumplings... please try the chocolate truffles before they disappear! They are so yummy!
The steakhouse - You don't come away from there hungry! Starters are huge, the steaks are tasty.
The mexican - Disappointing. We went once but really, the buffet was better than the mexican.
Buffet - Such choice! I've been to a good few all inclusives, but this was the best so far! Christmas saw an excess of seafood, brie, parma ham etc. They really pushed the boat out.

I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed December 2010
4 Thank LondonDLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#60 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#40 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!