We stayed at Riu Palace Mexico for 2 weeks at the beginning of March 2011 and we loved it.
The concept of 24h all inclusive it is, in European standards, like an ultra all inclusive. In here you have drinks and food included all day and all night long. The minibar and room service is also free :D. Only the spa and the laundry service is payable.
The only bad thing about this hotel it is the fact that it doesn't have wi-fi in the rooms or on the beach, not even payable. It only has a free wifi area in the hotel's lobby, where you can also pay for Internet if you didn't bring your own computer.
Service was very, very good, cleanliness as well. The hotel is well maintained with nice grass areas and lovely clean fountains. At 8:30 each night there is live music (not very good singers, but nice for the atmosphere). Shows at night were also good, with lots of dances, and they had a different show each night for 2 weeks.
Food is more than you can eat, and we also had sea food specialties, champagne and special nights st the main restaurant (Asian, Mexican). You have access to all the Riu in the area, where you can also eat in the morning and at lunch. We visited all of them, and we also liked Riu Palace Riviera Maya, which is a bit bigger and with the same layout.
The beach is huge, with crystal clear water and white fine sand. We also had great waves in the windy days. One day we had a fiesta on the beach with salsa music played live and special food. Otherwise all days are really quiet on the beach and relaxing. It is fantastic to read a good book under a palm tree's shade.
The pool is kind of small, and it doesn't have a special entrance for disabled people, but there are plenty of loge chairs at the pool, and at the beach also. You can also use the pool at Riu Yucatan very close and really huge.
Rooms are big with 2 huge beds put together and a nice sitting area. We also had an umbrella in the room for rainy afternoons. They do nice towel arrangements, and put balloons and fruits in the room if you are celebrating something. In the bathroom you have a bidee next to the the toilet in separate area. A light in the shower would have been nice.
Playa del Carmen is 5 minutes away in a taxi (70 pesos or 7$). It is nice for shopping, very colorful and with nice cafe places.
We visited Xcaret, for which we took a taxi for 20 minutes and 14$. We then bought our tickets at the door for 69$ or 99$(plus). It is much cheaper than booking this trip through an agency (they charge you 30$ per person only for transport). I would recommend to do the Tulum trip with a taxi as well, especially if you have already been on an organized trip to Chichen Itza (which is worfy) and you had already listened to the Maya history lesson. It is much faster and cheaper.
To sum up I would definitely return to Riu Palace Mexico. I really enjoyed my stay here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Travel Republic (UK), HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen