My college aged daughter and I spent 5 nights at the RIU Palace Mexico for spring break the end of March. My husband and I have traveled to the Playa del Carmen area numerous times and stayed in several different AI resorts (ie, Barcelo, Iberostar, other RIU properties) and this resort by far exceeded my expectations. In fact, soon after returning home we booked 10 nights over Thanksgiving!
The service was outstanding from the minute we arrived. I couldn't find something to complain about if I had tried. The staff pays so much attention to detail that they even remember what your favorite drinks are! No matter where you are in the resort they make you feel as if you are the only person at the resort. We never had to wait in line for anything except making reservations for the ala carte restaurants. By the way we ate at all 4 (if you are an early riser it is easy to get a reservation) and all were excellent. Our favorites were the Brazilian and the Fusion.
The rooms are spacious and yes a bit musty but your in Mexico! Our housekeeping services were good and most days our room was cleaned early.
We went to all the RIU properties except the Playacar. All very nice but the service at the RIU Palace Mexico was by far the best. The RIU Palace Riviera Maya is almost identical although newer. The pool is beautiful but we didn't think the beach area was as nice. We didn't spend much time there as there was a large crowd of very obnoxious high school students and their equally obnoxious parents who had taken over the pool. We did not have any issues like this at our resort but I guess that can be the luck of the draw during spring break.
This resort could probably use a bit of a face lift in a few areas but I will take outstanding service over brand new any time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int???L. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Agoda and TravelUp so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen