We stayed here from 2nd February to 16th February for my 50th Birthday.
We booked with Thomson holidays in the travel agents and got the internet price. To upgrade the room to a fountain view room Thomson wanted £54 per room per night, however if you email the hotel beforehand they will upgrade for 60USDollars ( £40 ) per night. We had a top floor outside facing room and were happy with this ( saved £540 for trips )
Our first trip to Mexico and we loved it
Fabulous hotel, food, cocktails, rooms, beach, poolside and waiter service, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to my best friends ! I shall certainly be visiting other Riu Palace Hotels in other countries.
The staff decorated our room for my birthday and sang Happy Birthday to me in the Krystal Restaurant ! The hotel also celebrated Valentines Day by giving all the women a red rose, which was a nice touch.
In my opinion, the other Rius in the area were not as good, Diluted drinks and more noisy.
Walked into Playa Del Carmen, 5th Avenue, a few times, a casual 30 minute walk either along the roadside or along the beach, ( believe me you do need to exercise to prevent weight increase) A taxi cost 70 Mex Pesos,
Booked day trip to Chitzen Itza, with Thomsons, probably more expensive but well worth it, as had an excellent guide.
Did "Trainer for the day", swam with dolphins, had approx 3 hrs in the water swimmimg with dolphins/manatees/stingrays/sharks. It was a great experience for my Birthday treat,
We took the local bus from 5th Avenue to Tulum to visit the Mayan Ruins and beach and saved money compared to an organised trip. You could also travel up to Cancun for the day and use the Riu hotels for meals and drinks.
The trip to Si'an nature Reserve was good to see dolphins and turtles in natural surroundings
and for snorkling.
To sum up, yes I would go back to Mexico and to the Riu Palace Hotel however there are so many other places to see in the world.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., RIU Hotels and Resorts, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen