I don't understand these reviews. Pros - Staff very accomodating, clean, many palm trees on beach, well-kept grounds.
Cons - Hotel set way back and no view of the ocean. Upon arrival to the lobby, strong smell of mildew and mold. Same pungent smell in the theater.
Room merely adequate. Two double beds made separately and pushed together - GEEZ - how romantic. Also had noisy, hot, plastic mattress covers - YUCK! Only one sink in bathroom, broken-down hide-a-bed couch, too uncomfortable to sit in. Broken slats on the closet door. Air-conditioner inadequate. Ceiling fan only operated on high and wobbbled with a clicking. Unable to operate when napping or at night.
DRINKS WATERED DOWN OR NO ALCOHOL. Very disappointed that could not even get a slight "buzz" from any of the beverages - wine, champagne, any bar drinks.
Food VERY disappointing. A few nice surprises, but overall mediocre. Japenese restaurant was good.
Hot tub as warm as the pool. They should have called it a Cool tub!
All of clean clothes and luggage remained with strong moldy smell when got home. Wife of traveling companions asthma acted up and she needed to use her inhaler due to the mold. 24-hour room service menu lacking.
Visited friends at RIU Caribe in Cancun. They had the same amenities, just not 24-hour room service, but had restaurants available. Had ocean views from all rooms, two sinks - half the price as the "Palace." No moldy smell there. Would go back there for the price.
I don't know how they get away with such a high rating.
If you are looking for an all-adult all-inclusive, we stayed at the Excellence Riviera last year. AWESOME, and will go back there next Feb.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Travel Republic (UK), getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen