Hotel was brilliant. We had a very quick 5 minute check in and our luggage arrived in the room 2 mins after us.
The room was very spacious and clean and we were sent a fruit basket. The mini bar was full and contained Dos Equis lager, small and large bottles of water, Pepsi, Pepsi light and other mixers. We had 4 bottles of premium branded spirits.
The bed was huge and very comfortable. The air conditioning was brilliant and could be left on all of the time as long as the balcony doors remained shut.
The buffet was themed 7 nights a week and the food in there was fit for a king. The choice for starters main and dessert was extensive. The waiters were brilliant and kept your drinks topped up and gave you a hot water lemon bowl if they saw you having something messy like king prawns or crab claws.
I could talk forever on the buffet food but I won't do. It was just outstanding and I have never seen a breakfast like it.
We booked into all of the restaurants and I liked them all. My favourite was the Japanese that I was reluctant to try. The steak house was very good and the lobster served with the steak was perfect. We had no problems booking into them and we never queued up to book.
The evening entertainment from what I saw was very good but I only sat and watched on 4 occasions out of 14 nights as I had to retire to the bedroom in a food coma.
The lobby bar was open from 10am to 7am and was great for pre dinner drinks. They had a wide variety of premium branded drinks such as Bacardi anejo, bacardi superior, Smirnoff red label, finladia vodka, absolut vanilla vodka plus other flavours. They had Jose Cuervo and mezcal tequilla and were more than happy to make up shots to people's specifications I.e B52's, lemon drops. They had Kahlua, beefeater gin, Jim Bean, Southern Comfort, Pernod blah blah blah.
The cocktails were very good, I particularly liked the mojito buy found the piña colada to be a bit too sweet. Only disappointment was the Caipironhias were made with rum instead of Cachaca.
They served peanuts to us in the lobby bar while sipping our drinks and listening to the piano man playing beauty and the beeeeeeeast! Amazing. Once your bum touches that seat the waiter is there in a flash, two thirds down your glass and they ask what you would like next. Service was brilliant in the lobby bar.
At 10am the pool bar opens and the water volleyball starts. The waiters work their butts off taking orders around the pool and they bring your drink over to you. We meet had a problem getting a sun longer there was always good availability both at the pool and on the beach.
Beach BBQ at lunch time was to die for!! This happened on many occasions. There is a beach bar/hut and they serve drinks to guests on the beach.
Discovered the jacuzzi on the second day- there was never anybody in it wheneer we went over and it was so strong it pushed you around. It was fun!
The whole holiday was brilliant. There is so much more to say but so little time. You will not be disappointed. Stay here if you have chance!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U., RIU Hotels and Resorts, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen