We (my husband, 6 month old son and I) just returned from the Riu Palace and had a good time, despite getting sick. Everyone that arrived with us from Toronto got sick, so we're not sure if it was a food/water thing or bug from the plane.
hotel and pools ---
The hotel itself is very large an the grounds/pool are beautiful. the renovations that took place are quite nice in some areas and in others look odd. I have no idea what it looked like before, so I don't have the best perspective. The rooms and common areas are very clean and the staff work hard all day long to keep it so. Everyone is very friendly and generally accommodating. The only issue we ran into was getting a crib, we had to ask at least 5 times and ended up with a dirty pack and play from another hotel. The rooms (ours was a jr. suite) was big enough with a seating area and nice patio. air conditioning was ok, but often it was cooler to keep the doors open and not use it. also a trick is to turn in on and off to get it going again. We think it has some kind of shut down when you leave it on too long.
The pools are pristine and not very many people were using them. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas and there is pool drink service. All great. The new cafe sucks. All the pastries are the same from the buffet and the coffees aren't good. Not really worth it. You can get bottled water in the 24 hour bar area near the main lobby, big and small bottles.
we usually ate at the buffet and it was good. lunch was ok, breakfast and dinner were better. It did get a bit tiring however, we did get sick so that might have had an impact on our feeling towards food in general. the only a la carte we went to was the mexican and it was the same food as the buffet; however, the tres leches cake was awesome. ask for corn tortillas at the dinner buffet in the mexican section, they don't keep them out under the lamps. lunch buffet was crazy busy every day and you have to wait for a table.
drink the sparkling wine :) cocktails are so sugary, not my taste but people seem to like them. You cannot get a real margarita, only the pre mix, which was dissapointing, but expected at this size resort.
the beach is beautiful however, it was impossible to find any beach chairs. I have never seen anything like this at a resort. It was by far the most annoying this about the whole trip. The Riu next door had SO MANY EMPTY CHAIRS?!?! I don't understand why the palace has less chairs and a smaller beach area...we ended up having to use the Riu chairs next door which were older and further. Also, there is only one ramp to get to the beach and it is off to the side so if you have a stroller it's a pain. water is clear and warm, not rocky, soft sand...really nice. There was some seaweed, but they do their best to manage that.
i don't know if i would go back to a palace. this is the 3rd riu i have been to and first palace and i don't really see the value for the extra money for my personal taste. also the lack of beach chairs is enough of a reason for me not to go back as this was frustrating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., RIU Hotels and Resorts, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen