“Beautiful”

Ranked #26 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Genoa, Illinois, United States
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

May 5 through May 12, 2013. This hotel was amazing! I had heard that it was recently remodeled and it looks great. Everything seemed very clean. The staff was perfect! I could not have asked for more friendly and helpful people. Every morning there were men landscaping. I always saw someone with a mop or broom, they really take pride in the cleanliness. The hotel is not right on the beach, but it is a short walk. Our room had a balcony facing the neighboring resort, which had music playing in to all hours of the night. But it was not loud enough to disturb our rest. Another nice thing is that you receive a wrist band for the all inclusive, and there are 3 other RIU resorts that you are able to go and drink at. The food was surprisingly good for a buffet, there were different options for dinner every night. The juice bar for breakfast is delicious, and they make it all fresh. We were unable to try any of the restaurants. You are required to make a reservation the day of and you either eat at 6:30 or 8 pm. And men are never allowed to wear shorts or cut off tees to dinner. Even at the buffet. The pool bar was probably one of our favorite spots, and the bartenders are awesome! We were told the are we were in is one of the most exclusive places to stay in Riviera Maya. I would definitely come and stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (923)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We've just returned on 12 June from a week's stay @ this hotel, all inclusive. I'll give it 4.5 stars because of some incuidents I'll talk about diown below. We made this choice after reading the reviews here & the fact that the hotel was renovated late last year. & we're not disappointed. Last year we're @ the Riu Jalisco Nuevo Vallarta & the year before @ the Riu Emerald Bay Mazatlan.
We're a retired couple, I'm 71 & my wife is 62. Almost everything was Excellent, minus few negs, as expected. I'll address some for the benefit of other reviewers further on. We're from Toronto. Parking was booked via Global parking @ Quality Suites near the airport @ almost $55 total, being the cheapest - covered parking. Flight via Sunwing was on time(not like last year to Riu Jalisco - instead of departing @ 6:15a we left @ 10p !!! - that's why we booked this year foe Sunwing, because we got $150 coupon/person within certain parameters... - Not to worry, the Sunwing people know what they're doing - can only book before 45 days of departure. Had we booked last moment the price would have been only $20 more per person...!)
The hotel is modern inside & out. My wife liked very much the Violet/Fuschia scheme. The room was sparkling clean & so every day, minus 1 problem: they did not clean the Jacuzzi one time(the only time) in the room! I did report this to vice manager. The food was excellent, minus some problems @ the specialty restaurants.
The bus trip is a bit more than an hour. Every thing was on time. We arrived to the hotel @ 12p. We're asked to come back @ 2;30/3p for our room.
@ 2:30p we show up & a check in guy takes our name & WE'RE WAITING - 10, 15, 20 minutes !!!, while he's busy w/ another customer....! Told about this & he was stunned - w/o an answer! This I reported to the assistant manager - Ildiko Polgar(the manager being Juan Ayllon Lloves who was not available). Both are on hand throughout the day & evening. The assistant manager is a very amiable lady of about 29 who has reached this position only after 5 years in Mexico, having graduated in Economics from Hungary. @ 1st, I din't want to report the guy in case she got rid of him, but she's assured me that she'll not fire him. She had a personal talk w/ him & made him send us an apology card w/ a long stem rose made out wood - very nice touch! As we've suggested, he should have @ least apologized & she has told him so. He explained to her that they were checking @ different levels if the room was ready, but I don't this, because people vacate rooms as early as 6a! Had he told me to wait - no problem - but you don't leave a client hanging out while you go to another one, for who knows how long - 20 minutes.
The room - suite, being on the 2nd floor, but actually on the entrance level, close to the beach -a Plus!
Humidity/mugginess. It doesn't matter what floor you're on(we were on the 2nd) - the AC unit is under sized! I'm e technical guy, so I know what I'm talking about. The whole system is central AC, but if the evaporator in the room or the Central Condenser are too small, they can't remove the humidity. The temperature on the wall kicks in @ 23.5 when it runs for a while, but this's not enough. Even if I set the thermostat to 22, it still runs all night & day - never cycles on/off & that's WRONG. Ildiko said that this was so in the design & they can't do a thing about it. She also said that some people leave the balcony door open. This stops the AC & lets the humid air in, but I'm fully aware of this. We've a huge home w/ 2 systems & ours cycle on & off @ 22 degrees. It runs for 5 hours from 7p after showing 29 during the day on the 2nd floor. Right after the units start working I seen a humidity meter that this drops down, not so fast as the temperature, but it feels way better - reduced humidity.
Jacuzzi in the middle of the room. This setup doesn't bother us, but I can see privacy issues between 2 friends. Ildiko explained to me that she's aware of this problem , but her hands are tied, when I suggested a curtain, because this was the original design & changes have to be approved & financed by the head office in Spain. However, the more complaints she has the more input to the head office & they'll eventually approve it.
Small toilet room. We don't have a problem w/ this as we leave the door open but again, it's a privacy issue between 2/3 friends - nothing can be done about it.
For older people, they can slip in the shower & the Jacuzzi(it doesn't bother us), so I've suggested to Ildiko a mat - she actually has 100 of them - upon request.
Noise from next door renovations. Again, we can hardly hear it, although staring @ 7a * finish @ 5/6p. The renovation is going to be finished @ the end of June.
Bed: 2 coupled bottom doubles(they don't separate - tied w/ tie wraps) & 1 King size mattress on the top. We loved the hardness of the beds!
Food. Let me start that we know about a lot about food; We both cook together fancy food for the last 26 years, previously on our own. Our guests are always surprised @ our creations. The Buffet has tons of foods for every one's taste. Otherwise we cook very simple & w/ v little cals, fats & sugar & very little salt. We stay away from processed foods, fast foods & restaurants. So, there're cooking stations: Mexican, pasta, grilling, etc. I like the Scotch Bonnet peppers(the call them Habanero) w/ fried onions(hot). The desserts are presented very nice, but the same as in the other Rius. The Chocolate is quite descent(I estimate 60% cacao) - we use only 70 & up. 2 times/week there're Tapas. The "Jerk" chicken(Caribbean night) is for the birds - just broiled chicken w/ a "Jerk sauce" - nothing to do w/ real Jamaican Jerk...! Some foods are over salted, but not too many. Mangoes are not aplenty - you mostly have to ask for them in the mornings - Ildiko says that Mango season is finished, but we just started to have plenty of them 3 weeks ago, from Mexico, in Toronto! Plenty of Passion fruit, Papaya, Pineapple, sweet Grapefruits, Grapes, Guavas(not too ripe), Bananas, NOT too tasting Watermelon, Honeydew, Cantaloupes(didn't even try them!).
Now to the specialty restaurants & these have problems.
Crystal - fusion - Hi Style. some people & us(although are not big eaters) came out more hungry then when they went in - like the Scaramouche in Toronto - beatufuly presented but not much to eat... Appetizers - Micro! I had the Grouper on a bed of cooked grated potatoes - OK. The big problem w/ my wifes vegetables w/ Manchego cheese, while SWIMINNG in BUTTER/OIL - Wow !!! &, I really mean it ! Reported to Ildiko.
Italian. Stuffed chicken breast(they added this upon our request) - Excellent, sitting on a bed of Spinach w/ a cheese sauce, BUT, this this sauce had TONS of butter - not even tasting like cheese - again swimming in it ! Also had some fish - very good. My wife had Ravioli, but the sauce was very thin! The Tiramisu - forget it !
Japanese: The appetizers - very small. We don't like Sushi(available few times @ the buffet) - I consider it as an insult the intelligence to stuff myself w/ rice w/ a tiny piece of vegi or raw seafood - lots of money for nothing...
Steak house: The most severe occurrence reported to Juan(the manager) - had Surf & Turf - the Lobster tail tasted treated w/ Chemicals(to prolong its freshness) & the steak was charred. Baked Alaska was not baked @ all(although shows as such) & very sweet, but lighted @ the table.
Last THE Mexican - The Best one of the lot - almost perfect. Salads & appetizers galore. My wife's chicken was OK. My Flambe Prawns were awfully salted & where was the Flambe "Show & Tell"? - INSIDE the kitchen! Of course, the "Habaneros" were there - a pleasure!
They like to promote Mexican wines(naturally), but you can insist on imported wines - Spanish. If there was not the Mexican night the next day, we would have gone back to this Mexican restaurant.
As I suspected(& verified by Ildiko, the assistant manager), the menus are the same in Riu palaces& she told me that the head office changes them every 5-7 years. However, in each country there's their local restaurant.
I don't drink hard liquor, so don't know too much about them in the resort or the room, although tried the President Brandy - OK.
Lobby is beautiful. There's even an elevator, a 24 hours lounge w/ different foods, wines, hard drinks, soft drinks, cooked foods, coffee, fruits. There's a Cappuccino Cafe w/ all the kinds of coffees, snacks & desserts(repeated as in the general buffet). We liked the Decaf Italian coffees - all these coffees are freshly grounded in front of you. Great restaurant by the pools & a grill on the beach - 12-3p.
Beach. Nice White sand w plenty of chairs & Palm trees. There's undertow, but I find it small & after a certain point it disappears. Many times there's a Red flag. One day the Riu had a Yellow, but the next door Wyndham had a Red - go & figure it out.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Dany F
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

17 of my best friends, affectionately self-referred to as "The Boysies" spent five unforgettable days at the Riu Palace Mexico. The time we shared was so overtly enjoyable that several families around the resort mistakenly concluded we were homosexuals. I have outlined some pros/cons about the resort below:

Pros:
-Buffett is so delicious it can force guests to cancel their reservation mid meal and walk out for all you can eat feasts
-All night percussion and dancing
-Very friendly guests which have become our pen pals

Cons:
-Animation staff single out untalented volleyball players and laugh at them, prompting paid guests to leave in frustration
-A lack of flop during off seasons
-Grown men walk around in speedos

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Daniel R
Durham England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Riu Palace Mexico, Playa Car, Mexico
May 21st – June 4th 2013

My wife and I like what Mexico has to offer and have visited the Cancun region numerous times in the past few years but never in Cancun itself.
Flying from England we have always picked Thomson/First Choice Holidays as a tour operator as they have the best deal but I must comment that standards on their planes have declined dramatically recently and the food dished out is dire to say the least!
Another major change was for them to remove certain hotels from their brochure with the emphasis being to promote their own. This was the major reason for us not going back to Excellence Playa Mujeres and to visit the Riu Palace Mexico.
Before we departed we had read the reports about the “makeover” of the hotel which has had bad reports from many.
On arrival our initial impression was that the quality of the update wasn’t of a high standard and what was a very impressive reception area (we saw the before pictures) is now a Purple, Silver Grey, area where a designer had been given a free hand and spoilt what was good and replaced it with tacky glam.
Our room displayed the same purple and white makeover which wasn’t too bad, but, the quality of the bedroom furniture was like something from a flat pack and already suffering from usage.
What really made us laugh was the toilet, which seems as if it was a cupboard in a previous life, small is an understatement.
Now for the positives, the food served to us in every restaurant, even the buffet, are of a high standard. The bedrooms are clean and linen is changed every day The staff are friendly and helpful with permanent smiles on their faces.
The beaches are clean, there is no problem getting a sunbed and drinks on the beach are regular even though you will never get drunk on them as they tend to be alcohol free. I did read a comment in another review saying the drinks in the bar were watered down, now I cannot prove this but I did order more drinks than I had ever done in previous hotels and never once suffered from side effects, so draw your own conclusion.
All in all we had a great vacation even though the weather changed two thirds into the holiday and parts of the hotel were flooded. Would I go back again? Simple answer is yes, the food and the staff make it worthwhile

Room Tip: Ours was 2152 overlooking the square. Safe balcony for kids as it is totally enclosed.
2 Thank rwc1uk
Santa Cruz do Sul, RS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I spent 9 days at Riu Palace México in June/2013 with my wife and my 2 and a half year old daughter. We had a great time there. The rooms are not small and very clean. The color scheme shocked us a bit in the beggining but after two days we got used to it. The food was good and had lots of options. Personnel was very helpful and always had a smile on the face! The cocunut trees planted on the beach made a very good atmosphere and lovely shade. The entertainment team had always something nice to offer during the day and night. We loved it and would definetly come back!!
Carlos, Cátia and Laura

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carlos K
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

This was my second time staying at a Riu. (first time was in Cabo San Lucas) We had such a great experience in Cabo and was expecting the same here, but it was a bit disappointing. Here is the good and the bad.

Service:
The service from all the waiters/workers (except the receptionists) was more than amazing. They bust their butts to make sure you are having a great time and that everything is perfect. We saw this everyday without fail. They never stood around waiting for a tip like other reviewers have said. I always tip..even if its a dollar or two, but they really appreciate it and they deserve it for sure. Work ethic is phenomenal... your ash tray was emptied quick.. you had a fresh drink in hand before you even had the chance to order one. Love them.

Coffee Shop:
They have a cute coffee shop near the lobby and they served the best iced coffees you could imagine. (all inclusive) They also served other coffees, ice cream and other pastries. Its a nice place to get a break from the sun. Pastries were pretty bland though.

Drinks:
Drinks were always great! I didnt taste that they were watered down. Perhaps people are not used to all the ice (which melts quickly) so they think its watered down. Even the frozen drinks were good. Maybe its because we tipped them that the drinks were nice and strong. No complaints there.

Beach:
The beach was nice and clean and the water was beautiful! There were plenty of lounge chairs available no matter what time we got there.There are many shaded areas for those who need the shade. The water was very swimmable and not dirty or choppy. You will see Riu staff offering you beverages on the beach from Beer,Sodas and frozen drinks. They keep coming back every 10 minutes or so. Beware of the guys selling cigars... as they also sell weed and cocaine. There is security on the beach..but I dont know how these guys are getting away selling that.

Rooms:
The rooms sucks! They are all "suites" and look very modern but they are not very functional. The room is all open and there is no privacy for you to change into your clothes etc... The shower has see through pink blocks and you can see everything inside. Also the door does not properly fit and all the water splashes out.. and again because it doesnt properly fit.. you have a gap and can see the person when they are taking a shower. The toilet room is VERY small. I have never seen a bathroom that small. If you are taller than 5`5 you will feel claustrophobic. There is also no vent and they leave the toilet scrub brush in there soaking in a very bad smelly cleaner.. its just a mess. The bed was comfortable as were the pillows.. but the pillows smelled really bad. (damp smell) I sprayed all the pillows with body spray but the smell was so strong..the scent soaked in my hair and it was disgusting. Our sheets were also dirty. One of our sheets was soiled from what looked like pee.. and the other looked like blood. There were some hooks for you to hang your wet clothes but they dont dry. I left a shirt hanging there for 4 days and it was still wet. The tub in the middle of the room was filthy. It looked like someone had peed in there, and the dust started to accumulate. :( The closet was medium sized but you did get about 6 drawers to put away your things. The fridge was stocked with beers, soda and water and it was restocked everyday. The whole room is tile... can be slippery if you come in with wet shoes or even when you try to spray your sunblock. (we sprayed in the shower) The shower was nice and big enough for 2 people to shower. The outlets work with both European and American items. No need to bring a converter.

Food:
The food was not good. I'm not a picky eater at all but it was hard for me to find anything decent to eat at the buffets. At Riu Cabo the food was excellent.. I wonder why its so bland here. You will find better food at the restaurants in which you must make reservations for. Best food was at Krystal. All the deserts were bland and bread was stale most of the time. They do however have a great selection of fresh fruit and can you can make your own smoothies.

Entertainment:
Entertainment was..lame. They had a band at night which played boring/slow hits from the 80s. Many people left when the band started playing. They had "shows" after the music stopped.. but it was cheesy and not entertaining. Riu Cabo had GREAT shows.

Pool:
There were 2 or 3 pools.. always packed. Never went in there but they looked clean and had plenty of lounge chairs with umbrellas. There was also a swim up bar.

Other:
There was a kiddie pool which was secluded from the adults. (never saw anyone there) Didnt see any other kid friendly things. The resort was mainly couples and older well behaved people. I think the Riu Tequila (right in front of Riu Mexico) is the party hotel.

Room Tip: There are no ocean view rooms. The best to choose from is a garden view. Other wise, your room will...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katgoddess70
Washington, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

My husband & I returned to the Riu Palace Mexico the 1st week in May for our 2nd year in a row and found it to be absolutely just as perfect as our 1st trip. We were reluctant to go back to the same resort due to the different reviews we had read about the remodeling but decided to try it for ourselves since our 1st visit was so perfect. We were very glad we did. We loved the new looks of the resort. ALL of the staff were so friendly and accommodating. When we had returned from the beach the 1st day, we had a fresh fruit basket waiting for us in our room with a note from mgmt. welcoming us back. The beach is absolutely gorgeous and always plenty of chairs. The buffet had a huge arrangement of all types of different foods for anyone's taste. The food was especially very good at the Mexican & Italian specialty restaurants. The staff at this resort will do anything they can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The food at the daytime beach barbecues were very good. They do a great job, work very hard, and always have a smile on their faces there. I highly recommend this resort. Can't wait to go back again next year!

Room Tip: Definitely worth it to pay a little more to get a room that faces the court yard. A $1 tip is very...
4 Thank Phyllis82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#38 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,277 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,806 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!