“Best Vacation Ever”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #34 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Even my kids agreed it is the best vacation we have taken. They enjoyed it more than Aruba and rate it better than the Riu Palace Guanacaste in Costa Rica. It was the first visit here for my two boys, 17 and 12, but the third for my wife and I. Our last stay was in 2007 before the renovations. We arrived to a familiar face, Manuel the doorman, he is the best around, friendly, nice, hard working, always smiling. Check in was a breeze, we arrived early but got one room right away then spent a couple hours at beach before checking in to second room. This place is better than I remembered and I thought I was going to be disappointed by the new décor but was surprisingly happy with the setting. It is very clean, they scrub this resort down top to bottom every night while we sleep. I am an early riser and watch them put on the finishing touches as the sun rises. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. There is a large area of palm trees from the pool area to near the beach so plenty of shade to be had when you need a break from the sun. There are plenty of loungers both at the pool and the beach but prime locations get taken fairly early. If you are worried save your towel overnight and head out there before 8am and you can get a spot almost anywhere you please. Wide beach, white sand, crystal clear water, water a perfect temp, not too warm. We borrowed snorkel gear from Scuba Caribe and also reserved a Hobie Cat sailboat a couple of times. These were free. Pools are fairly large, clean, and well maintained. They are not over-chlorinated. the center pool has a swim-up pool bar where Omar and company will treat you very well. Off to one side of the pool area is a workout room and spa. I hit the treadmill a few times during our stay, decent equipment and the treadmills look out towards the pool. The other side of the pool area is Guacamole's restaurant. We ate at the lunch buffet here each day. The food was tasty, presentation nice, something to please just about everyone. My oldest son ate his weight in sushi rolls. Up behind the lobby is a plaza, plenty of tables to relax and have a drink before dinner and to sit and enjoy the post dining entertainment. The restaurants are all excellent. Don Julians is the buffet and also where you have breakfast. The breakfast buffet is huge and delicious. Eggs a bunch of ways, made to order omelets, fruits, juices etc....More options than you can eat in a week. Santoyo is one of my favorite employees here, always smiling and friendly and one of the few I recognized from my first visit here. The dinners here are also excellent but we tried to take advantage of the restaurants that required a reservation (Made at about 8am each morning). I am a big fan of good fish so at all the restaurants I ordered grouper or snapper. It was all excellent but at the Italian restaurant the grouper was off the charts good. Service was excellent at all of them. The Italian, Japanese, and Krystal all require long trousers and sleeved shirts so don't forget to bring these along. I saw a lady arguing with the staff because they wouldn't let her kids in wearing shorts. After dinner there is usually a band early outside and a staged show indoors that starts a bit later. We enjoyed all of it. My kids liked the magic show and Cuban dance productions. Drink service is top notch. All the staff works hard to please but my favorites were Geronimo, Angel, and Luis. These guys aim to please. Fernanda (sp?) speed walks through the crowd delivering drinks always with a big, big smile. My older son who is in 4th year Spanish back home spent a lot of time making friends with and talking to Angel, Geronimo, and a new guy on the entertainment staff, Freddie. The rooms are nice, we were in a junior suite, very clean, and fridges are stocked daily, water, sodas, and beer. There is a cappuccino bar off the lobby that serves nice drinks and some food too. The 24 hour lounge was a stop for me in the early morning for a cup of coffee before breakfast opened. There is food there too as well as beer and soda. There is free wireless at the resort which I was able to use as far away as the steps that lead to the beach. There is a mix of guests and from what I could tell it seemed like a good bit of Americans, a good bit of Europeans and Canadians, and a smattering of South Americans, Brits, and Mexicans. As an American with kids I was a bit concerned with topless sunbathing, it was almost non-existent, just a few. No negatives to report at all. We loved the entire experience and will be returning.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank sonomomVaBeach
Write a ReviewReviews (5,712)

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Just got back from our stay at RPM and we were extremely satisfied. Great food, outstanding service, safe location, awesome beach (clean no rocks). As others have said our room had a humid feel and slight mildew like odor but it really wasn't an issue. It was booked up during our week but it never felt crowded. We will definitely be returning soon.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Dan W
Reviewed 18 April 2014

From the moment we arrived at the Riu Palace we knew we had chosen the right place. The hotel was completely renovated in 2013 with a tasteful, modern decor. The hotel lobby is luxurious and the rooms are brand new, clean and modern. The grounds are spectacular with lush vegetation and beautiful flowers everywhere. The pool and beach area were immaculate. What really impressed us was the level of service. From the moment we arrived we were greeted at the check-in counter with a cold drink and a warm welcome. There was absolutely no waiting time. The service at the restaurant was A+. At every meal we were served with a smile and the staff was so attentive. The food was excellent both in the main dining room and the restaurants. I would recommend this resort without hesitation.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kathy A
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is our 3rd Riu with 2 of them being Palaces. Just got back from a one week stay at the Riu Palace Mexico that was amazing. The resort was exquisitely renovated and our room exceeded expectations - huge bed, rainshower showerhead...that sort of thing. The housekeeping was over the top with our room being made up sometimes 3 times a day! The food was out of this world. The buffet had an incredible amount of variety every day, 3 times a day. Ice and fruit sculptures were beautiful and clever. Really enjoyed the Japanese and Steak Houses...5 star service and food quality. The beach was clean and amazing to walk, lots of loungers and well shaded. There were a few unobstrusive vendors and a wonderful beach server - the guy could carry 36 drinks at a time on his tray! The 4 pools were small but super clean with lots of quiet fun or group stuff. The crowd in the bar pool always looked like they were having fun. I cannot say enough about the staff...friendly, kind, professional, over the top helpful.There is tons to do but if you just want to hang out and chill this is a wonderful place to do it at. We had our pictures taken by Adventure Photos and purchased the book package so we can remember this trip forever.

Room Tip: Garden view junior suite was quiet and faced a beautiful yard full of tropical plants and trees.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Paula N
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Food was amazing quality, plenty of choice for every meal. There are multiple types of restaurants fpr evenings and we tried two of them and were both great.
The entertainment team were amazing, there was never a boring moment with activities all day and night, absolutely loved aqua gym definitely a highlight of a holiday doing it.
Everything was amazing, hopefully can go back sometime.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Wilmot95
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Fantastic Hotel, staff amazing. Louis , Freddy Enrique, beach beautiful and food is top notch prime rib and lobster tails in the main eating area! steak house not so good. but everything else is amazing! would definitely go back here in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: get a room on upper level garden view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank panther267
Reviewed 13 April 2014

A friend and I had the pleasure of staying at the Riu Palace in Playa Del Carmen March 14 - 18, 2014 to celebrate her birthday. It was my first time visiting a Riu, but not my first visit to Playa Del Carmen, I vacation in Mexico twice a year and have stayed at many other all inclusive resorts. Two things stood out regarding this resort; the quality of the food and restaurants is, I would say even on American standards Excellent. Upon our arrival on Friday evening after traveling we were starving. We walked into the buffet expecting the usual buffet fare, but were amazed to be served fresh grilled lobster and shrimp. Delicious! The other night we ate at the buffet a chef was preparing fresh sushi. We did not eat at all of the restaurants, but the ones we did experience were very good. Service at the pools and on the beach was exceptional as well. Rooms were clean, and comfortable. The second thing which was a stand out was the gorgeous beach. It was wide, and had a large band of palm trees for shade, which opened up to another wide strip of sparkling beach. Every time I visit a nice, all inclusive resort in Mexico I can always count on great service and Mexican Hospitality, the Riu Palace did not disappoint in this area. All staff are truly concerned and want to be certain you are enjoying your vacation. They bend over backwards to please. Shopping in downtown Playa Del Carmen is close by (under $10 for a taxi ride to town) . There is entertainment nightly and it was always fun. The only negative about this location is the taxi ride to the resort from the airport and back is pricy, count on about $125 for transfers to and from the airport if your package does not include transfers. Would recommend this resort highly, and will definitely visit it again.

Room Tip: There aren't a lot of ocean view rooms because the resort is set back from the beach. We had a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends