“Fantastic Vacation”

Ranked #28 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Massachusetts
“Fantastic Vacation”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Upon check in we were greeted by staff, very friendly and offered a drink. Our room was clean and ready right away. Service throughout the week was excellent. Rooms were beautiful and cleaned everyday before we got back from breakfast. The open tub a little strange but we never used it. I would highly recommend this property if you are looking for a nice relaxing getaway. The beach was clean and plenty of chairs, same with the pools. I have no complaints whatsoever.
if you want to eat at the restaraunts you do need to get up and wait for reservations, it was not a big deal for us, the food in the buffett was excellent as well.
We could walk to town each day and there are some Mayan Ruins along the way.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, ask for one that is not too close to the main lobby. You'll hear al...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mthrgoose4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (952)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My friend and I just returned from 10 days at this resort, April 13-23, and we both agree that it is our favourite of the resorts at which we have vacationed. The staff were amazing, the place was so clean, staff cleaning everywhere we looked, even saw one fellow polishing the garbage bins on the walkways.
The food was amazing, we tried several of the al a cartes and our favourite was Krystal, we managed to get in there twice in our 10 days. Must have had an off night at the Steakhouse, my lobster was dry and didn't like it and the waiter only offered me option of medium or well done for my steak, I prefer mine rare which is what I got at Krystal.
The buffets were wonderful, couldn't believe how many ways they offered up eggs for breakfast. The banana milkshake was my favourite drink at breakfast.
Our room was just what we asked for in an email two weeks before we arrived. Two beds, upper floor, curtain to close off the bathroom and quiet. We were in 1101 which was on same level as lobby and opposite stairwell which led down by Italian restaurant. We faced out to the trees and Wyndham next door. We could occasionally hear noise from the theatre but the only really noisy night was karaoke night, other than that we had no problems with noise.
The beach was where we spent most of our time though did spend a few hours in the morning by the pool on a couple of days. I really appreciated the amount of shade available as I am a fair skinned redhead who burns easily. The beach was wonderful, no rocks at all on the beach or in the water. We kayaked one day and still couldn't see any rocks in the water, it was just so beautifully clear.
Found our favourite drink when waiter on the beach came by with tray of drinks to offer and had a Mango Tango, that was amazing and we drank a lot of them the rest of our stay. Even managed to get my friend to try drink at the bar called Paradise Dream (or something like that) which had tequila in it. She doesn't drink tequila but I insisted she try it as you could not taste it, she agreed that it was good so try that one as well, had guava and pineapple juice in it.
We rented bikes one morning from the Riu Tequila across the street, only $5 for 4 hours. Great deal, bikes were old but functional just be careful to inspect your bike for pedalling off as my friend's bike kept losing a pedal on the way back from Playa Del Carmen.
One day we walked into Playa to catch the Ado bus to Tulum, only $7 one way and direct to the ruins. We jumped in a collectivo to come back for $4 to Playa Del Carmen, did some shopping and then took a taxi to hotel as a rainstorm had come in.
Little bit of excited a couple of days after we arrived as the police on the beach got into an altercation with some of the illegal vendors (the jewellery and cigar ones) and shots ended up being fired right in front of the people on the beach. This happened right in the area in front of the water sports hut. Warning shot fired into the air, guests on the beach raced away from the scene. We were back under the trees and stood up to see what was going on. Couple more shots and one of the vendors got shot in the leg. The security from all the hotels came running along with a first aid guy from our hotel. Then police had a boat race up into which they bundled up the guys being arrested and sped off. Apparently the scene was blocked off with chairs and security for the night but the next morning when we went down to see the sunrise you would never have guessed anything had happened, and if you weren't there a lot of people never found out. We never felt unsafe though even with that going on, I think the police really overreacted and am pretty sure the managers of Riu Palace Mexico were not happy.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable trip and we would not hesitate to return to this hotel or to recommend it to people. Hopefully will go back some day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Secord68
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico from April 9-16 with my family, husband and two girls aged 8 & 10. We had an amazing time. The beach is the best one I've been to. Clear turquoise water and white sand. Just beautiful. There were waves but they weren't rough and my daughters loved them. You could walk for quite a bit and it was still shallow. No seaweed. Just beautiful, clear blue salt water. There is also plenty of shade if you don't want to stay in the sun. Lots of palm trees and lots of chairs. There were always chairs available no matter what time of the day we went there. They had beach service which was awesome. And they had a beach grill bbq every day with hamburgers, steak, sausages, hot dogs and pizza. It was nice if you didn't feel like going to the buffet and leaving the beach.
The food was great. We ate a lot. My girls feasted every day and they can be quite picky but there was soooo much selection from fish to meat to pasta to really everything and anything. And the best part was it was really good! I put on a few pounds and I'm also a very picky eater.
We also tried two of the a la carte, the Italian, I think it's called the Dolce Vita, and the steak house Guacamole, I think. The steak house was great. The Italian was okay but I'm Italian so I'm biased.
The staff and service were outstanding. These people work so hard in the sun and heat and always have a smile on their face. They are constantly working. Some names I remember are Santiago, Harim, Santoy, Carmine, Carlos. Great people. Great Service. And please TIP!!! They do a great job and deserve it. Bring some $1 bills with you and TIP!
The animation team works really hard at keeping everyone entertained. It's tough. Different cultures, different languages, different people. But they do a great job. Ivan, Cindy, Lous, and I can't remember the other name but they're all great. My girls loved the kids shows at night and they loved Cindy.
The resort is beautiful. I read posts about it being renovated and didn't have a mexican feel. That didn't bother me. It was beautiful. I would go back tomorrow! It's 100% safe!!!! I know people worry about that. There is security patrolling the beach all day and the police also come by every hour or so. The resort is located in a gated community which means only those who need to go in or belong are allowed in. Even the entrance to the resort has a security guard there and you need to show your wrist band to enter.
We took the taxi to the town of Playa Del Carmen. Cute place. Lots of shops and restaurants.
I would highly recommend this resort to anyone. I am planning on going back this fall! It's quiet but still lots of activities for everyone, including kids.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank lovelifemm
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Even my kids agreed it is the best vacation we have taken. They enjoyed it more than Aruba and rate it better than the Riu Palace Guanacaste in Costa Rica. It was the first visit here for my two boys, 17 and 12, but the third for my wife and I. Our last stay was in 2007 before the renovations. We arrived to a familiar face, Manuel the doorman, he is the best around, friendly, nice, hard working, always smiling. Check in was a breeze, we arrived early but got one room right away then spent a couple hours at beach before checking in to second room. This place is better than I remembered and I thought I was going to be disappointed by the new décor but was surprisingly happy with the setting. It is very clean, they scrub this resort down top to bottom every night while we sleep. I am an early riser and watch them put on the finishing touches as the sun rises. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. There is a large area of palm trees from the pool area to near the beach so plenty of shade to be had when you need a break from the sun. There are plenty of loungers both at the pool and the beach but prime locations get taken fairly early. If you are worried save your towel overnight and head out there before 8am and you can get a spot almost anywhere you please. Wide beach, white sand, crystal clear water, water a perfect temp, not too warm. We borrowed snorkel gear from Scuba Caribe and also reserved a Hobie Cat sailboat a couple of times. These were free. Pools are fairly large, clean, and well maintained. They are not over-chlorinated. the center pool has a swim-up pool bar where Omar and company will treat you very well. Off to one side of the pool area is a workout room and spa. I hit the treadmill a few times during our stay, decent equipment and the treadmills look out towards the pool. The other side of the pool area is Guacamole's restaurant. We ate at the lunch buffet here each day. The food was tasty, presentation nice, something to please just about everyone. My oldest son ate his weight in sushi rolls. Up behind the lobby is a plaza, plenty of tables to relax and have a drink before dinner and to sit and enjoy the post dining entertainment. The restaurants are all excellent. Don Julians is the buffet and also where you have breakfast. The breakfast buffet is huge and delicious. Eggs a bunch of ways, made to order omelets, fruits, juices etc....More options than you can eat in a week. Santoyo is one of my favorite employees here, always smiling and friendly and one of the few I recognized from my first visit here. The dinners here are also excellent but we tried to take advantage of the restaurants that required a reservation (Made at about 8am each morning). I am a big fan of good fish so at all the restaurants I ordered grouper or snapper. It was all excellent but at the Italian restaurant the grouper was off the charts good. Service was excellent at all of them. The Italian, Japanese, and Krystal all require long trousers and sleeved shirts so don't forget to bring these along. I saw a lady arguing with the staff because they wouldn't let her kids in wearing shorts. After dinner there is usually a band early outside and a staged show indoors that starts a bit later. We enjoyed all of it. My kids liked the magic show and Cuban dance productions. Drink service is top notch. All the staff works hard to please but my favorites were Geronimo, Angel, and Luis. These guys aim to please. Fernanda (sp?) speed walks through the crowd delivering drinks always with a big, big smile. My older son who is in 4th year Spanish back home spent a lot of time making friends with and talking to Angel, Geronimo, and a new guy on the entertainment staff, Freddie. The rooms are nice, we were in a junior suite, very clean, and fridges are stocked daily, water, sodas, and beer. There is a cappuccino bar off the lobby that serves nice drinks and some food too. The 24 hour lounge was a stop for me in the early morning for a cup of coffee before breakfast opened. There is food there too as well as beer and soda. There is free wireless at the resort which I was able to use as far away as the steps that lead to the beach. There is a mix of guests and from what I could tell it seemed like a good bit of Americans, a good bit of Europeans and Canadians, and a smattering of South Americans, Brits, and Mexicans. As an American with kids I was a bit concerned with topless sunbathing, it was almost non-existent, just a few. No negatives to report at all. We loved the entire experience and will be returning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank sonomomVaBeach
Holly, Michigan
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Just got back from our stay at RPM and we were extremely satisfied. Great food, outstanding service, safe location, awesome beach (clean no rocks). As others have said our room had a humid feel and slight mildew like odor but it really wasn't an issue. It was booked up during our week but it never felt crowded. We will definitely be returning soon.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Dan W
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 18 April 2014

From the moment we arrived at the Riu Palace we knew we had chosen the right place. The hotel was completely renovated in 2013 with a tasteful, modern decor. The hotel lobby is luxurious and the rooms are brand new, clean and modern. The grounds are spectacular with lush vegetation and beautiful flowers everywhere. The pool and beach area were immaculate. What really impressed us was the level of service. From the moment we arrived we were greeted at the check-in counter with a cold drink and a warm welcome. There was absolutely no waiting time. The service at the restaurant was A+. At every meal we were served with a smile and the staff was so attentive. The food was excellent both in the main dining room and the restaurants. I would recommend this resort without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kathy A
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is our 3rd Riu with 2 of them being Palaces. Just got back from a one week stay at the Riu Palace Mexico that was amazing. The resort was exquisitely renovated and our room exceeded expectations - huge bed, rainshower showerhead...that sort of thing. The housekeeping was over the top with our room being made up sometimes 3 times a day! The food was out of this world. The buffet had an incredible amount of variety every day, 3 times a day. Ice and fruit sculptures were beautiful and clever. Really enjoyed the Japanese and Steak Houses...5 star service and food quality. The beach was clean and amazing to walk, lots of loungers and well shaded. There were a few unobstrusive vendors and a wonderful beach server - the guy could carry 36 drinks at a time on his tray! The 4 pools were small but super clean with lots of quiet fun or group stuff. The crowd in the bar pool always looked like they were having fun. I cannot say enough about the staff...friendly, kind, professional, over the top helpful.There is tons to do but if you just want to hang out and chill this is a wonderful place to do it at. We had our pictures taken by Adventure Photos and purchased the book package so we can remember this trip forever.

Room Tip: Garden view junior suite was quiet and faced a beautiful yard full of tropical plants and trees.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Paula N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Yucatan
Hotel Riu Yucatan
#62 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!