Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$1,998
US$397
Hotels.com
US$325
US$281
Barcelo.com
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$288
US$281
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$423
US$320
Agoda.com
US$378
US$336
Melia.com
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$497
US$463
Barcelo.com
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,076
US$1,004
Viceroy Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$816
US$796
US$781
US$585
US$723
HotelsClick
5,893 results
All reviewsla bodegapalm treesdon julianspecialty restaurantsgala nightcourtyard viewpool barbeds pushed togethermusty smellbuffet restauranthour loungescuba caribelobstergated communitymain buffetother resortsplenty of chairs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

This is an amazing hotel. The food is of a high standard and the service cannot be faulted. The staff work long hours, but are always unfailingly helpful, cheerful and so very hard working. The rooms are lovely, really there are no negatives to report. A fantastic holiday!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Kazza24m
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband, our daughter and I stayed at the RPM from April 11-17, during our 11 yo Spring break. Before booking this resort, I had done extensive research in all-inclusive places in Playa Del Carmen...including the other Rius there. We decided on RPM and did not regret the decision! By far, it was the BEST!
We visited the other Rius (all within walking distance from RPM and because of the privilege to be able to do so) but none had the high quality standards of the RPM! RP Riviera Maya was close. In fact, the ambiance and pools looked attractive but the service and quality of food was not the same.
Our vacation did not go as planned but RPM was so helpful in every way. I had an injury during the travel down to Mexico (overdoing it with helping husband w/baggage) and had extremely painful backaches that first night there (moms, picture back labor). The Riu has a doctor on call 24x7 with a clinic next door, at the Riu Yucatan. We called FD and dr was in my room in 5 minutes! He gave me an anti-inlammatory shot after a checkup and I was able to rest well all night. He also prescribed one by mouth as needed so, the next day, I was 90% better.
I took advantage of the wonderful Spa there, plus hot-tub, where I was given a wonderful massage that made me new again. I had never suffered from back aches before and assumed it was fixed. I resumed my normal activities (went for a long walk around the beach and town, visited a majority of the other Rius, etc) but I think I overdid it. The following day I had excruciating pain in my right leg, indicating a ruptured disk.
Everyone was so helpful and sympathetic. They offered to bring me to the hospital but I didn't want to do that. I managed with rest (lounging around the pool) and the oral anti-inflammatory meds. I waited to get home and am now taking care of it. My husband and daughter got to pool hop and go to Excaret, which they found very enjoyable.
Despite my situation, I cannot say enough about how great everything was!

Now, for resort details....

Check-in:
We arrived at 5:30pm and were greeted with smiles and a cold fruit drink. Check-in was easy and we were even upgraded to a room on 2nd floor, with privacy curtain, king bed plus pull out couch and closest to beach/pools. Our room was great. Did not notice musty smell in the room only a little in the dresser drawers and closet. I always bring Lysol with me when I travel so I sprayed it and left drawers slightly open after unpacking and no damage done. The layout of the room is more European than we American are used to. Bathroom is small. Shower is good and roomy. Double sinks for easier morning readiness.

Cleanliness:
Someone was always cleaning inside and out around the RPM. The pools/fountains/walkways/beach did not have any form of debris on them! the rooms were cleaned daily and fully restocked but the funny thing we laughed about was that, for some reason, every night at around 9 pm, we'd get a knock on the door and get an extra towel. Don't know why since we had plenty but didn't question it. :)

Service:
Everyone had a smile on his/her face and was willing to help above and beyond! While lounging by the pool, servers would ask you if you needed a drink or anything else. They would also bring around treats (fresh popcorn, popped at the poolside; chocolate dipped fruit; etc).

Entertainment:
The staff was trying hard to keep everyone happy and offered a variety of activities. I was only able to participate in Bingo due to my injury but the guys were so funny that it was an experience in itself! Every night they had a show on stage. They also had a stage inside, just for kids and where they could be entertained while parents were sipping a drink/watching the show outside (it has glass wall so you can see your kids).

Food:
What can I say?!? Out of this world...especially for an all-inclusive! The buffet had so many choices that you didn't know where to start. High quality meats/seafood were offered every night. Duck, grilled lobster, prime rib roast, pork, turkey, paella, and fish galore.
We made reservation to 3 of the restaurants ( Krystal, the Italian and the Steakhouse) we liked the steakhouse the best but, honestly, the buffet is better!
Every night, by the open area near theater and on the way to buffet, they had a drink of the night. Pretty decorated glasses and different choices. I also would like to note that top shelf drinks are available with no problems at RPM.

Spa:
Very nice, professional staff and great services available! Massages are even offered on the beach!

Final note:
The RPM as you know has been remodeled into a more contemporary style. I have no prior experience in the former look so I can't compare. All I can say is that it looked elegant to me with the crystal chandeliers, wood bar in lobby area, and beautiful chapel. We were lucky enough to witness a wedding in that chapel the day before we left.

Room Tip: Before going to the RPM, I took advantage of Trip Advisor's offer to sign up for the RIU Class club and get 1000 pts for free. I did that. It gave me a number that I used when I checked in. Because we were Class members, we got the slight upgrade! :)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank AnnettePSC
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and chose to stay at RPM for the second consecutive year, expecting the same great vacation as last year. It wasn't the same; it was better! To start, the staff was second to none. From the receptionists at check-in to the room attendants to the evening entertainment, all at RPM helped make our vacation exceptional.
The grounds were immaculate; we never once saw trash, empty glasses, or other items that "didn't belong". Likewise with the restaurants and buffets; the staff were constantly and consistently cleaning and tending to the needs of their guests.
I cannot say enough about the attitudes, personalities, and work ethic of every RPM employee that we came in contact with, three in particular. Nando (bar manager), Luis and Enrique (entertainment specialists) were absolutely phenomenal, and played a large part in making!our vacation, once again, so memorable.
RPM's quality of service, facilities, beach, customer service, and food and drink will continue to draw us there year after year.
For those who complain about the "musty" smell of the rooms- I'm sorry, but it's the tropics. If you don't like heat and humidity you're better off vacationing in Minnesota.

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Namoe
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Upon check in we were greeted by staff, very friendly and offered a drink. Our room was clean and ready right away. Service throughout the week was excellent. Rooms were beautiful and cleaned everyday before we got back from breakfast. The open tub a little strange but we never used it. I would highly recommend this property if you are looking for a nice relaxing getaway. The beach was clean and plenty of chairs, same with the pools. I have no complaints whatsoever.
if you want to eat at the restaraunts you do need to get up and wait for reservations, it was not a big deal for us, the food in the buffett was excellent as well.
We could walk to town each day and there are some Mayan Ruins along the way.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, ask for one that is not too close to the main lobby. You'll hear all the noise from the entertainment at night.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mthrgoose4
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My friend and I just returned from 10 days at this resort, April 13-23, and we both agree that it is our favourite of the resorts at which we have vacationed. The staff were amazing, the place was so clean, staff cleaning everywhere we looked, even saw one fellow polishing the garbage bins on the walkways.
The food was amazing, we tried several of the al a cartes and our favourite was Krystal, we managed to get in there twice in our 10 days. Must have had an off night at the Steakhouse, my lobster was dry and didn't like it and the waiter only offered me option of medium or well done for my steak, I prefer mine rare which is what I got at Krystal.
The buffets were wonderful, couldn't believe how many ways they offered up eggs for breakfast. The banana milkshake was my favourite drink at breakfast.
Our room was just what we asked for in an email two weeks before we arrived. Two beds, upper floor, curtain to close off the bathroom and quiet. We were in 1101 which was on same level as lobby and opposite stairwell which led down by Italian restaurant. We faced out to the trees and Wyndham next door. We could occasionally hear noise from the theatre but the only really noisy night was karaoke night, other than that we had no problems with noise.
The beach was where we spent most of our time though did spend a few hours in the morning by the pool on a couple of days. I really appreciated the amount of shade available as I am a fair skinned redhead who burns easily. The beach was wonderful, no rocks at all on the beach or in the water. We kayaked one day and still couldn't see any rocks in the water, it was just so beautifully clear.
Found our favourite drink when waiter on the beach came by with tray of drinks to offer and had a Mango Tango, that was amazing and we drank a lot of them the rest of our stay. Even managed to get my friend to try drink at the bar called Paradise Dream (or something like that) which had tequila in it. She doesn't drink tequila but I insisted she try it as you could not taste it, she agreed that it was good so try that one as well, had guava and pineapple juice in it.
We rented bikes one morning from the Riu Tequila across the street, only $5 for 4 hours. Great deal, bikes were old but functional just be careful to inspect your bike for pedalling off as my friend's bike kept losing a pedal on the way back from Playa Del Carmen.
One day we walked into Playa to catch the Ado bus to Tulum, only $7 one way and direct to the ruins. We jumped in a collectivo to come back for $4 to Playa Del Carmen, did some shopping and then took a taxi to hotel as a rainstorm had come in.
Little bit of excited a couple of days after we arrived as the police on the beach got into an altercation with some of the illegal vendors (the jewellery and cigar ones) and shots ended up being fired right in front of the people on the beach. This happened right in the area in front of the water sports hut. Warning shot fired into the air, guests on the beach raced away from the scene. We were back under the trees and stood up to see what was going on. Couple more shots and one of the vendors got shot in the leg. The security from all the hotels came running along with a first aid guy from our hotel. Then police had a boat race up into which they bundled up the guys being arrested and sped off. Apparently the scene was blocked off with chairs and security for the night but the next morning when we went down to see the sunrise you would never have guessed anything had happened, and if you weren't there a lot of people never found out. We never felt unsafe though even with that going on, I think the police really overreacted and am pretty sure the managers of Riu Palace Mexico were not happy.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable trip and we would not hesitate to return to this hotel or to recommend it to people. Hopefully will go back some day.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends