“Wonderful relaxing vacation”

Ranked #29 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
London, Canada
“Wonderful relaxing vacation”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Loved everything about this resort ... As many have said, the staff here is unreal! Anything and everything you could possible dream of is taken care of for you.

Rooms were clean and well appointed, layout was awesome, many have mentioned the musty smell-we didn't experience it at all

The beach at his resort was second to none, gorgeous white sand, warm water And beach bar service.. What more could you ask for?

The pools are a little on the older side, however well maintained with lots of loungers and sunshades.

Restaurants Lovely, steak house was by far the best, although they were all good.. Take the time to have a cocktail in the main lobby to hear the piano player, he was awesome!

Stayed April 2014
7 Thank Sunrisesandsunsets

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (943)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We spent ten days at this resort and I thought it was OK, but nothing spectacular. There was construction outside of our room every day, which was a little annoying, but they didn't start too early, so it was tolerable. Also, I didn't think the room was that clean. The food is nothing to write home about, but it isn't terrible either. I guess I was just left wanting a little something more. We did really enjoy the shows on the central patio area every night, and the service was great. Also, the mojitos at the pool were delicious!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

my wife and i were very impressed with this riu property. we stayed at rpm the third week of april of 2014 and were fortunate to have sunshine all 8 of the days. as far as the hotel itself goes, everything from the service to the food and ambiance was exceptional.

Room Tip: we had a room facing the courtyard on the second floor closer to the main building. It can be a litt...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Junior T
Avon, Ohio
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We visited the RPM from April 19-26th with our two daughters and a son-in-law. It was not our first choice of resorts but because the all-inclusive we visited last year was totally booked, we booked the RPM at the suggestion of our travel agent. Boy did we luck out!

The resort was gorgeous, our room was awesome, the balcony spacious, the grounds were impeccably groomed, the staff and service was above and beyond, there were so many food options, the drinks were better than expected, and the beach setting was
breathtaking.

The environment at this resort was so relaxing and friendly that we found it easy to meet people from all over the world. We participated in water aerobics and water volleyball several times throughout the week. The staff encouraged introductions by name and country. My daughter and her husband actually met another couple from their own neighborhood in Chicago!

We had two minor negatives which we were able to work around. 1) the room set-up made privacy an
issue with 3 adults staying in one room. 2) the rooms smelled musty upon entering until the key card entry turned the ceiling fan and A/C back on. Within a few minutes it was fine again.

We visited some of the other Riu resorts that were within walking distance but I felt that we had picked the best one! We were only a 5 minute cab ride from Playa del Carmen which allowed for an easy day of shopping, lunch and site seeing. We would definitely visit this
resort again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank moser219
Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Let me start with some positive.

Was there April 20 to 27 th. Two ladies

Great location!
Amazing beach
Only minutes to 5 th avenue via can.
Nice to have nightly entertainment included.

Beach chairs. You have to get them and at around 10:30 you have to search for them.

Staff at restaurants and bars work hard and pleasant at all times.

Extremely brutal arrival for s five star and departure. When we checked out all the male staff asked is that it ( as we asked for our bed lets to get cut off). He didn't ask how was your stay etc. Keep in mind I said hello at arrival to desk and how are you - no answer. The only overly friendly and informative was blonde haired male worker in my experience.

Nice large sized towels for beach chairs.

One day I was very surprised at an obvious angry staff serving in buffet area by beach. He even kicked fork under dirty dish sorter and we had to get up to get our own water n cutlery. Sat at table for ten minutes as he passed us often. Oh well- things happen but I paid extra for this Riu site in hopes of things like this not happening.

Serious concerns with washrooms. Outdoors and throughout resort. There appears to be no fan circulation and ventilation. You have to hold your breath going into
Their washrooms. In the rooms the washroom stalls are so tiny and no fan! I could barely fit in and I am 5'5 115 lbs. So odd. I work about fair accessibility for persons who need larger accommodations.

The ala cartes are not worth booking unless you want lobster and steak- then you would go to the ALA carte that provides it. If you have been to Riu Aruba the ala cartes are not the same. It is like having buffet served to you instead of going up for it.

Beds are very uncomfortable and I am not fussy about my sheet thread count etc..
Large shower was very nice.

This resort lures you in with the modern look of renovations, beach and location but does not hold up to 5 star standards.

The Buffett was tasty and always nice choices. Good service and fresher' frequency of choices when the chef was overseeing behind the counter. When he want there what an obvious difference.

For what I paid I will go to another resort that is a true five star. If I paid under 1700.00 I guess I would be ok with my experience.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank CLaWoman
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

This is an amazing hotel. The food is of a high standard and the service cannot be faulted. The staff work long hours, but are always unfailingly helpful, cheerful and so very hard working. The rooms are lovely, really there are no negatives to report. A fantastic holiday!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Kazza24m
Southbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband, our daughter and I stayed at the RPM from April 11-17, during our 11 yo Spring break. Before booking this resort, I had done extensive research in all-inclusive places in Playa Del Carmen...including the other Rius there. We decided on RPM and did not regret the decision! By far, it was the BEST!
We visited the other Rius (all within walking distance from RPM and because of the privilege to be able to do so) but none had the high quality standards of the RPM! RP Riviera Maya was close. In fact, the ambiance and pools looked attractive but the service and quality of food was not the same.
Our vacation did not go as planned but RPM was so helpful in every way. I had an injury during the travel down to Mexico (overdoing it with helping husband w/baggage) and had extremely painful backaches that first night there (moms, picture back labor). The Riu has a doctor on call 24x7 with a clinic next door, at the Riu Yucatan. We called FD and dr was in my room in 5 minutes! He gave me an anti-inlammatory shot after a checkup and I was able to rest well all night. He also prescribed one by mouth as needed so, the next day, I was 90% better.
I took advantage of the wonderful Spa there, plus hot-tub, where I was given a wonderful massage that made me new again. I had never suffered from back aches before and assumed it was fixed. I resumed my normal activities (went for a long walk around the beach and town, visited a majority of the other Rius, etc) but I think I overdid it. The following day I had excruciating pain in my right leg, indicating a ruptured disk.
Everyone was so helpful and sympathetic. They offered to bring me to the hospital but I didn't want to do that. I managed with rest (lounging around the pool) and the oral anti-inflammatory meds. I waited to get home and am now taking care of it. My husband and daughter got to pool hop and go to Excaret, which they found very enjoyable.
Despite my situation, I cannot say enough about how great everything was!

Now, for resort details....

Check-in:
We arrived at 5:30pm and were greeted with smiles and a cold fruit drink. Check-in was easy and we were even upgraded to a room on 2nd floor, with privacy curtain, king bed plus pull out couch and closest to beach/pools. Our room was great. Did not notice musty smell in the room only a little in the dresser drawers and closet. I always bring Lysol with me when I travel so I sprayed it and left drawers slightly open after unpacking and no damage done. The layout of the room is more European than we American are used to. Bathroom is small. Shower is good and roomy. Double sinks for easier morning readiness.

Cleanliness:
Someone was always cleaning inside and out around the RPM. The pools/fountains/walkways/beach did not have any form of debris on them! the rooms were cleaned daily and fully restocked but the funny thing we laughed about was that, for some reason, every night at around 9 pm, we'd get a knock on the door and get an extra towel. Don't know why since we had plenty but didn't question it. :)

Service:
Everyone had a smile on his/her face and was willing to help above and beyond! While lounging by the pool, servers would ask you if you needed a drink or anything else. They would also bring around treats (fresh popcorn, popped at the poolside; chocolate dipped fruit; etc).

Entertainment:
The staff was trying hard to keep everyone happy and offered a variety of activities. I was only able to participate in Bingo due to my injury but the guys were so funny that it was an experience in itself! Every night they had a show on stage. They also had a stage inside, just for kids and where they could be entertained while parents were sipping a drink/watching the show outside (it has glass wall so you can see your kids).

Food:
What can I say?!? Out of this world...especially for an all-inclusive! The buffet had so many choices that you didn't know where to start. High quality meats/seafood were offered every night. Duck, grilled lobster, prime rib roast, pork, turkey, paella, and fish galore.
We made reservation to 3 of the restaurants ( Krystal, the Italian and the Steakhouse) we liked the steakhouse the best but, honestly, the buffet is better!
Every night, by the open area near theater and on the way to buffet, they had a drink of the night. Pretty decorated glasses and different choices. I also would like to note that top shelf drinks are available with no problems at RPM.

Spa:
Very nice, professional staff and great services available! Massages are even offered on the beach!

Final note:
The RPM as you know has been remodeled into a more contemporary style. I have no prior experience in the former look so I can't compare. All I can say is that it looked elegant to me with the crystal chandeliers, wood bar in lobby area, and beautiful chapel. We were lucky enough to witness a wedding in that chapel the day before we left.

Room Tip: Before going to the RPM, I took advantage of Trip Advisor's offer to sign up for the RIU Class c...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!