“Great food, great beach, great service, great value!”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #32 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 21 May 2014

May 14-19. I have traveled to many Riu Palaces, and this ranks among the top of them. Upon arrival, check-in is a breeze in the large air conditioned lobby with a full attentive staff. We arrived around 11 a.m. and had two junior suite superior rooms and requested them adjacent. They informed us our rooms were not ready, which was expected due to our early arrival and 3 p.m. check-in time. They gladly took our luggage and did a soft check-in for us, giving us towel cards and wristbands so we could use the facilities until our rooms were ready. They did a wonderful job of explaining the reservations and restaurant procedures and showed us where the areas of interest at the hotel were on a map.

We ate lunch at the buffet overlooking the pools and then walked the grounds while we waited for our rooms. We spent the last hour at the coffee shop, which was my son's favorite place in the entire resort. They have a great selection of pastries and coffee drinks, along with milkshakes to die for! The assistant manager, Ildiko, even walked over and greeted us while we were waiting and asked if there was anything she could do to make our wait better. I consider that superb customer service!

Our rooms were ready shortly before 3. I was pleased to see they were able to get us adjacent rooms (2072 & 2073). The rooms are now the standard Riu Palace white with purple and the jacuzzi tub in the middle, with an open bathroom area. They are nice size and clean. Although I am not a fan of the sterile decor, that is a matter of taste and they are nice by any standard. I will warn families traveling together, there is no divider between the bathroom and bedroom area. The toilet area does have a door and the shower door is frosted, though. The balcony was one of the largest most private balconies I have ever seen and I spent a lot of time there. At first glance, it felt empty with the two plastic reclining chairs and small table because it was so large and bare. (photos below) Note: These rooms are directly above the open-air theater and it is quite loud from 9-11 every evening. The shows end promptly at 11 every night, so if you aren't an early light sleeper, this should not be an issue. Comparable rooms on the north side of the building would be preferable, though. This Riu still has the double beds pushed together as their king room. I believe they offer a mattress topper if this is an issue for you. I would recommend having your travel agent request that ahead of time, though.

The pool area was redone with the remodel. I wasn't a fan at first, because there are 4 separate smaller pools. But after spending some time in them, I began to appreciate the design much more. People seemed to migrate to the pool best suited for their taste. Although I only saw very few children the entire trip, the pool on the left was where the families congregated. The center pool is where the pool bar is and fairly lively and Oscar does a great job keeping the drinks flowing. I like mine strong, so I always requested doubles, which he was glad to oblige. The pool in the front right is the activities pool and almost always hosting an energetic pool volleyball match. And the pool located in the rear right was quiet and had mostly sunbathers and readers gathered around it. I never had much of a problem getting a lounger at either the pools or the beach, which is a common complaint among Riu's.

The beach is a GORGEOUS wide stretch of sugary white sand that goes on as far as the eye can see to the north and about a half mile to the south. I was really impressed with the quality of the sand and the lack of seaweed, even early in the morning. From the steps leading from the pool area to the edge of the water is approximately 120 yards and the sand is clean and soft from the first step off the stairs all of the way into the ocean. The water was the clear turquoise blue that the Caribbean is famous for. There were storms off shore 2 of the days and one day it rained the first half of the day. The waves were noticeably higher those days, but still safe to wade. Non-motorized water sports are included at no cost and available at the beach.

The breakfast buffet is delicious and I think even the pickiest should be able to find something to suit their tastebuds. The lunch buffet near the pool was typical Riu fare and certainly acceptable, although nothing that you will drool over. I was not at all impressed with the Mexican lunch buffet and would not eat there again. I would consider the dinner buffet above average for all-inclusive resorts. The a la carte dinner dining, on the other hand, was amazing! Although the menus were somewhat limited, the quality and execution was outstanding! It is difficult to say which was my favorite because they all have their own unique flare. Without a doubt, Miyagi's Japanese restaurant had the best service, though. We went there our second evening to celebrate my son's 14th birthday. I let the reservation assistant know when I made the reservation that morning, and the host when I arrived. They surprised him with a song and a large birthday cake after dinner. I am not a fan of cake or any sweets for that matter, but that was one of the best layered birthday cakes I have ever had. And it was large enough that I shared with the entire restaurant and made several friends in the process. You are required to make reservations for dinner each morning in person. I was always there no later than 9 a.m., but got the restaurant I wanted every night. We also ordered room service multiple times. The menu is limited, but the food arrived fresh and tasty in a very timely manner.

I don't normally watch the shows when I stay at resorts like this. My son and I went on 3 different nights, though, and really enjoyed all of them. They are very interactive and entertaining, although some might consider them slightly inappropriate for children. Nothing too offensive, just a little crude humor. The kids club puts on a show from 8-9 each night and it looked cute and fun for the kids.

Overall, this was one of my favorite trips...and I am a travel agent, so I have been on quite a few. I will gladly recommend this hotel to my friends, family, and clients. I don't think it gets any better than this without spending thousands more. LOTS of bang for the buck!

Facebook photo album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.310038889151339.1073741835.100004356912221&type=1&l=bff90420c4

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Superior and request top floor for the best view. Rooms on the north side are away fr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
15  Thank Dan W
Write a ReviewReviews (5,712)

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed May 11th thru May 16th. Resort is beautiful, 1st class resort. The beach was beautiful. Food was very good but the Italian and Japanese resturants were by far the best places to eat. But what makes this resort so great....... Is the staff...... In every area they are so friendly & helpful. We decided to check out the other Rui resorts during our stay to compare & after a few minutes we knew that we made the right decision staying here. Staff would walk by you without even noticing you.. NOT at the Palace, I would like to say thanks Angelina, Francisco, Anmiel, Noelia, Enrique & the rest of the team for making our trip the best ever.. We are already talking about when we would like to return. See ya in 2015!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Gary T
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico last year and was so wow'ed by it, that we decided to return again from May 10-17th with another couple.

Check in: There are multiple staff at the front desk so the check in process is very speedy and efficient. They acknowledged that we were returning guests and welcomed us back which was a very wonderful touch to the beginning of our vacation. The staff let us know of any changes from last year i.e. you can now wear shorts in the buffet, and helped us with our luggage to our room. It was as smooth as the check in process could be!

Room: If you're looking back at the resort from the beach, we were located on the right wing this time. We booked a superior room which was honored with a beautiful view of the courtyard. The entire room has the art deco style of the resort, which I knew to expect. There are his and her sinks, a Jacuzzi tub, shower area, with both a handheld shower head and a rain shower. The toilet area has a separate door so you can do your business in peace. Our room had a privacy curtain as well, which we didn't need but would be useful to request if you're traveling with friends or family. We were greeted with a beautiful fruit tray and during the week an amazing and VERY delicious edible flower dessert. These were amazing touches that helped make our stay that much better! There is a sitting area, fabulous sized balcony, a mini fridge filled with lots of refreshments and beer, as well as a liquor dispenser with Bacardi rum, Smirnoff vodka, Tequila and and Brandy.

Beach: The beach was just as stunning as last year! The water is very clear and blue, just like a picture from a postcard. The first few days were a bit windy and the waves were quite large, but this is nothing the resort can control of course and were very fun to play in if you're a swimmer. There is a waiter that comes out to the beach with drinks galore; both alcoholic and non alcoholic, on a giant tray. There are no palapas as the beach, but a vast array of palm trees and it's not hard to find shade. There are LOTS of chairs at the beach and there was never an issue finding one.

Pool: There are multiple pools with each one serving a different purpose. There is one with the swim up bar, another with a volleyball net, a quieter one for lounging and one for swimming laps. There is a lifeguard on staff as well that patrols the pools. We never had any issue finding chairs by the pool either. There is pool service and the waiters come around taking drink orders. I was very impressed by how speedy they are as well. We didn't personally encounter the towel game being played at the pool during our stay either, which I know can be an issue at some resorts.

Food: One word: AMAZING! From last year to this year, the food quality is still phenomenal for a resort. The buffet has a different theme each night, along with their regular dishes so that you don't get tired of the food. We went to the steakhouse and the Miyagi Japanese a la carte restaurants this time around and both had fantastic dishes. I had the pan fried grouper at the Japanese and the Rotisserie chicken at the Steakhouse. The other people I was with, all had the steak and loved it as well. I was wow'ed at the vast selection of the food at both the buffet and a la cartes. We had breakfast at the main buffet. The omelet station was my favorite if I had to choose, but there's so much selection that I'd have to limit myself each morning. For lunch, you have a choice of a beach BBQ each day, the buffet at the steakhouse near both the beach and pool, and a smaller buffet in La Bodega; the Mexican a la carte restaurant, attached to the main building.

Bars: The bars at the Riu Palace Mexico serve both national and international labelled alcohol. For the international branded alcohol, just ensure that you ask for it by name; i.e. Captain Morgan Spiced Rum vs. just asking for rum. The Riu Palace Mexico has different options for beer this year which was different from last year. They have Dos Equis, both regular and amber on tap and in cans, Tecate beer in bottles that they would pour out for you. We noticed some other guests were having Sol beer, but not sure if it was through the resort or not.

Nightlife: We would watch the different shows at the Riu Palace Mexico each night and sometimes head over to the Riu Tequila to enjoy some additional drinks. There is also a disco located at the Riu Tequila. Last year they had an out of control fog machine, which was the reason we tended to stay away, but this year it was no longer there, which I am very happy with! If you go into Playa Del Carmen at night, I'd highly recommend going with the entertainers as they know all the hot spots.

Grounds: Immaculate! You'll notice countless gardeners ensuring that the the grounds are well manicured. If a guest happens to litter (yuck), the staff will take care of it in a heartbeat. I love the garden artwork that the staff work very hard at making and maintaining as well. The cleaning staff are also hard at work, making sure the facilities look good as new!

Service: One of the driving factors that brought me back to the Riu Palace Mexico was the amazing service. The staff are always on hand to ensure that you have an amazing stay. I didn't expect anyone to recognize us from last year and was absolutely floored when some of the staff did! It was so amazing! I have to send a special THANK YOU to Enriqué at the pool bar, Omar at the pool bar, Francisco at the Miyagi Japanese a la carte, the ENTIRE animation team: Cindy, Enriqué, Franco, Al, Christian, Angelina and everyone else. They are so much fun and are always hosting different activities for you to take part in!

Resort: As previously mentioned in my review from last year, the resort has an art deco look to it which can be a bit much for some. Myself however, I personally love this look and definitely wasn't shocked the second time around. Staying the Riu Palace Mexico you can enjoy the facilities and food at the other Riu resorts, but have to eat dinner at the Riu Palace Mexico. Unlimited WiFi is included for guests at this resort as well. Upon check in you'll be given an access ID and password to log in.

Overall: What can I say? I had the perfect vacation in paradise. The Riu Palace Mexico has exceeded my expectations once again and I will be back in the future! I could go on and on over how much I love it there, but I'd recommend that you check it out for yourself!

Room Tip: High floor facing the courtyard
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank GuyaneseMadness
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just come back from this hotel and couldn't recommend it highly enough. We have stayed at the other Rius in this area but this one tops the lot in our opinion. It is immaculate and is cleaned and maintained throughout the day . The staff cannot do enough for you but this is the same for all Rius in the area. The food is probably the best that we have had with great selections if a person is unable to find something they would have to be extremely fussy and the a la cartes are worth a try we enjoyed the Italian the most. Also drinks choice is exceptional. There is also a coffee shop which is a great touch no need to walk to Starbucks anymore.
We asked for a high floor and was accommodated and the room was immaculate after the recent refurb prob the best room we have ever had here.
The sea was a little rough for us but we went to the beach most days where getting a lounger was easy ,the only downside is you can no longer pull these further down towards the sea so it is not as easy to spread out I would say this would've more of an issue at the busier hotels like the yucatan. The pool area is perfect along with the pool bar and could always get a lounger later in the day people will always reserve loungers on beach and pool at the same time unfortuantely this is still the case. The lunchtime restaurant is great and in a beautiful location with views to die for. The other great thing about this hotel is it's location. My only thing to say is if you want a lively hotel then this is not for you how I would describe it is this is more piano bar and the tequila and yucatan more wine bar where by it's easier to make new friends in these, this is just my opinion of course but we have found where there are more social drinking areas friends are easier to make.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank whiteytowers52
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Wonderful location for a destination wedding! May 5-12th, 2014. Son & fiancee were married May 8. 19 family/friends attended. Wait staff works HARD, all day & all night! Pool area is beautiful & the beach is big with plenty of lounge chairs. Bring $1 or $2 bills for tipping. Don't forget housekeeping! The resort is about an hour from Cancun airport & Cozumel is across from the beach in the distance. It's reported an easy/short walk to town but with temp's in the high 80's, I recommend taking a taxi for $7 each way. A group of 7 took a van taxi & split the cost of $15 each way. Entertainment every night out in the plaza area, activities for kids. High recommend this resort & would consider going back. All inclusive is the way to go!

Room Tip: My personal opinion on room location is get as close to pool/beach area as possible. That said, who...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank YooperGal2013
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Riu Palace Mexico from 28th Apr to 12th May 2014 and this has to be the best hotel we have ever stayed in on a holiday, as it was our Honeymoon we wanted to stay in a Riu and we picked the right hotel out of all of them. We will always be staying in a Riu every holiday now. The cleanliness of the rooms were fantastic everyday after they have been cleaned and there were no faults with the room at all. The staff were all fantastic, very polite and very helpful, 2 members of staff that stood out a mile and went beyond expectations were FRANCISCO at the pool who always made sure you always had a drink with you and looked after you for the duration your at the pool and LOUIS who we saw mainly in the evening, he also liked to make sure you were well looked after, if there was water on your table from your glass he would wipe it straight away, LOUIS did not like any kind of mess, they were absolutely first class. The food went beyond my expectations, it was fantastic and always tasted so nice whether it was breakfast,lunch or dinner. I really do recommend this hotel to anyone, My wife and I will be returning to this hotel next year.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 1st floor facing the pools which was really nice and was really quiet that end s...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Steve N
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This review is a bit late, my husband and I visited the RPM for the 9th time February 5 - 13. It was another wonderful visit and we cannot wait to return. We have also previously stayed at the Riu Tequila and Riu Yucatan.
A summary of our stay :
Beach - was full daily but always found loungers easily...the water was calm and we had straight sun for 10 beautiful days, the water being clear, the sand soft and almost white in color
Pool - these areas were lively each day, quite clean, there was a pool for exercise, relaxing and a pool with a swim up bar
Bars - the bar staff were quite exceptional as always, working very efficient and remembering the drinks you preferred...Anmiel, Jeranamo, Hiram, Jonathan and Patricio are just a few of the incredible staff that always go above and beyond in both friendliness and service...we have always felt this was one of the areas the RPM excels in
Restaurants - the buffet offered incredible variety with choices of lobster, shrimp, mussels, pizzas, mexican fares, meats, etc. with chefs willing to make any special request you wished for happen...Raphael at the Don Julian always makes our visits special with personal attention and care...Josephina was our waitress and was outstanding in the service she provided...we did eat at the specialty restaurant Krystal which was lovely as was the food at the Steakhouse, which honestly was our favorite meal of our stay...the selection at the breakfast and lunch buffet was quite vast and delicious
24hr Bar - this was a great spot to grab a quick late night snack
Lobby - the coffee/pastry bar is one of our favorite additions and the iced coffee is not to be missed...we would get it to go in a cup for our walk into town daily...the ice cream in it really kept us cool...there was some piano playing at night, we didn't spend a lot of time in this area as the courtyard was lively and very beautiful and tended to draw most of the guests
Entertainment - the shows were similar to what we had seen in years past, there were some singers at night that were enjoyable to listen to over drinks...a fire show one night was memorable...Cindy and Al from animation have always made a point to engage us in activities...but the staff here does not push you into activities if you don't wish...
Front Desk - great wonderful service from front desk, with a follow up call from Aida from front desk to our room asking if I was feeling better after an illness and if we required any help at all was so appreciated...they couldn't be more willing to help with any inquiries, always doing what they could with a smile
Grounds - the beach is gorgeous as always, the trees planted along the pools have grown beautifully since our last visit...the courtyard is breathtaking in the design, especially at night...the modern look of the resort has really grown on us...
Room - we stayed in the jacuzzi suite and it was absolutely gorgeous...we had a view of the beach as well as the courtyard and fountains...the rooftop was so peaceful and relaxing, gave you a sense of being away from it all....it was such a beautiful, large space...our room was cleaned very well each day...absolutely stunning!
Management - we have gotten to know some of the management at this resort because we have visited it so many times and they are so appreciative of their new and especially return guests...Francesca, director of the hotel and Sub Director Ildiko are absolutely wonderful at trying to make your stay as amazing as possible and made us feel very welcome. Manager Maria Jose has always made a point to seek us and from what we have observed other guests out for a chat, both new and old...she always inquires how our stay is, and has done everything she can to make us feel welcome and special... She has always gone above and beyond what we could ever expect in making sure our stays are absolutely perfect and each visit surpasses the one before...the management area is one area that the RPM definitely excels at and it shows through the amazing service you will find in the entire resort.
I actually became ill from a touch of sunstroke and dehydration one day,causing me to faint...Hiram at the pool bar took great care to ensure I was hydrated and assisted my husband into helping me find a cool space to rest and recover...for the rest of our stay the management to the front desk would ask how I was feeling and if I needed anything at all...
For us, the beauty of the beach and water, the grounds, the outstanding food and the incredibly hardworking, friendly staff are just some of the reasons we continue to visit the RPM...we can hardly wait till we return for our 10th visit!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple