“perfection”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #33 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Checked in May 19th and stayed for 4 nights...great friendly staff and very clean hotel. Food and drinks were great. No complaints here. Highly recommend this hotel! Would definitely stay here again. Tip the staff, they deserve it.

Room Tip: Upgrade was worth it
5  Thank Mike K
Write a ReviewReviews (5,717)

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We have just returned from this marvellous hotel from our honeymoon. I have to say this was our holiday of a lifetime, the hotel is amazing,clean to the point of spotless.. The staff cannot do enough for you,nothing is too much trouble.francisco was our waiter, lovely man, works very hard and does long hours.. our room was stunning, whirlpool bath,walk in shower,, we didn't have a pool view but didn't care. It is called a palace for a reason.. Ami was our Thompson rep, very lovely, made booking our trips and understanding the finer details about Mexico very simple... The hotel has 5 restaurants , 2 of which we went too and were fantastic,, the buffet which was down played as just a buffet was absolutely stunning and we preferred the food there purely down to variety and quality.. Great gym at this hotel aswell.. We met some lovely people,, Colin and Kath, Lynne and nick..probably sounds too good to be true, can honestly say we loved every minute of our honeymoon..will take about ten years to save and go back there but one day we will .. Treasured memories forever...

Room Tip: Close to the beach
9  Thank welshkezza
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Our third trip to this hotel, the first since the revamp. The rooms are great the pool and beach are worth the trip from the UK. The gardens are wonderful and kept to the highest standard. Loved the new stage, with some great music.

6  Thank lordstag
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed 1st-15th May the hotel is wonderful along with all the staff we couldn't find fault with any member of staff everyone so cheerful and they couldn't do enough for you. The food is very good in the buffet we went to the Italian,Mexican and the Steak restaurant and all we very good would have gone to the Italian again but they didn't change the menu which I thought was a shame. Had emailed to request a quiet room and mentioned our wedding anniversary and we were given a lovely room overlooking the water fountains and most days came back to a different swan and various towel animals. Waiters always round the pools remembering your drinks and kitchen bringing round tasters and man going round with ice lollies very acceptable when it was so hot. Would certainly return one of the best holidays ever thank you Everyone.

Room Tip: Room overlooking courtyard
9  Thank Pamela G
Reviewed 21 May 2014

May 14-19. I have traveled to many Riu Palaces, and this ranks among the top of them. Upon arrival, check-in is a breeze in the large air conditioned lobby with a full attentive staff. We arrived around 11 a.m. and had two junior suite superior rooms and requested them adjacent. They informed us our rooms were not ready, which was expected due to our early arrival and 3 p.m. check-in time. They gladly took our luggage and did a soft check-in for us, giving us towel cards and wristbands so we could use the facilities until our rooms were ready. They did a wonderful job of explaining the reservations and restaurant procedures and showed us where the areas of interest at the hotel were on a map.

We ate lunch at the buffet overlooking the pools and then walked the grounds while we waited for our rooms. We spent the last hour at the coffee shop, which was my son's favorite place in the entire resort. They have a great selection of pastries and coffee drinks, along with milkshakes to die for! The assistant manager, Ildiko, even walked over and greeted us while we were waiting and asked if there was anything she could do to make our wait better. I consider that superb customer service!

Our rooms were ready shortly before 3. I was pleased to see they were able to get us adjacent rooms (2072 & 2073). The rooms are now the standard Riu Palace white with purple and the jacuzzi tub in the middle, with an open bathroom area. They are nice size and clean. Although I am not a fan of the sterile decor, that is a matter of taste and they are nice by any standard. I will warn families traveling together, there is no divider between the bathroom and bedroom area. The toilet area does have a door and the shower door is frosted, though. The balcony was one of the largest most private balconies I have ever seen and I spent a lot of time there. At first glance, it felt empty with the two plastic reclining chairs and small table because it was so large and bare. (photos below) Note: These rooms are directly above the open-air theater and it is quite loud from 9-11 every evening. The shows end promptly at 11 every night, so if you aren't an early light sleeper, this should not be an issue. Comparable rooms on the north side of the building would be preferable, though. This Riu still has the double beds pushed together as their king room. I believe they offer a mattress topper if this is an issue for you. I would recommend having your travel agent request that ahead of time, though.

The pool area was redone with the remodel. I wasn't a fan at first, because there are 4 separate smaller pools. But after spending some time in them, I began to appreciate the design much more. People seemed to migrate to the pool best suited for their taste. Although I only saw very few children the entire trip, the pool on the left was where the families congregated. The center pool is where the pool bar is and fairly lively and Oscar does a great job keeping the drinks flowing. I like mine strong, so I always requested doubles, which he was glad to oblige. The pool in the front right is the activities pool and almost always hosting an energetic pool volleyball match. And the pool located in the rear right was quiet and had mostly sunbathers and readers gathered around it. I never had much of a problem getting a lounger at either the pools or the beach, which is a common complaint among Riu's.

The beach is a GORGEOUS wide stretch of sugary white sand that goes on as far as the eye can see to the north and about a half mile to the south. I was really impressed with the quality of the sand and the lack of seaweed, even early in the morning. From the steps leading from the pool area to the edge of the water is approximately 120 yards and the sand is clean and soft from the first step off the stairs all of the way into the ocean. The water was the clear turquoise blue that the Caribbean is famous for. There were storms off shore 2 of the days and one day it rained the first half of the day. The waves were noticeably higher those days, but still safe to wade. Non-motorized water sports are included at no cost and available at the beach.

The breakfast buffet is delicious and I think even the pickiest should be able to find something to suit their tastebuds. The lunch buffet near the pool was typical Riu fare and certainly acceptable, although nothing that you will drool over. I was not at all impressed with the Mexican lunch buffet and would not eat there again. I would consider the dinner buffet above average for all-inclusive resorts. The a la carte dinner dining, on the other hand, was amazing! Although the menus were somewhat limited, the quality and execution was outstanding! It is difficult to say which was my favorite because they all have their own unique flare. Without a doubt, Miyagi's Japanese restaurant had the best service, though. We went there our second evening to celebrate my son's 14th birthday. I let the reservation assistant know when I made the reservation that morning, and the host when I arrived. They surprised him with a song and a large birthday cake after dinner. I am not a fan of cake or any sweets for that matter, but that was one of the best layered birthday cakes I have ever had. And it was large enough that I shared with the entire restaurant and made several friends in the process. You are required to make reservations for dinner each morning in person. I was always there no later than 9 a.m., but got the restaurant I wanted every night. We also ordered room service multiple times. The menu is limited, but the food arrived fresh and tasty in a very timely manner.

I don't normally watch the shows when I stay at resorts like this. My son and I went on 3 different nights, though, and really enjoyed all of them. They are very interactive and entertaining, although some might consider them slightly inappropriate for children. Nothing too offensive, just a little crude humor. The kids club puts on a show from 8-9 each night and it looked cute and fun for the kids.

Overall, this was one of my favorite trips...and I am a travel agent, so I have been on quite a few. I will gladly recommend this hotel to my friends, family, and clients. I don't think it gets any better than this without spending thousands more. LOTS of bang for the buck!

Facebook photo album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.310038889151339.1073741835.100004356912221&type=1&l=bff90420c4

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Superior and request top floor for the best view. Rooms on the north side are away fr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
15  Thank Dan W
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed May 11th thru May 16th. Resort is beautiful, 1st class resort. The beach was beautiful. Food was very good but the Italian and Japanese resturants were by far the best places to eat. But what makes this resort so great....... Is the staff...... In every area they are so friendly & helpful. We decided to check out the other Rui resorts during our stay to compare & after a few minutes we knew that we made the right decision staying here. Staff would walk by you without even noticing you.. NOT at the Palace, I would like to say thanks Angelina, Francisco, Anmiel, Noelia, Enrique & the rest of the team for making our trip the best ever.. We are already talking about when we would like to return. See ya in 2015!

8  Thank Gary T
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico last year and was so wow'ed by it, that we decided to return again from May 10-17th with another couple.

Check in: There are multiple staff at the front desk so the check in process is very speedy and efficient. They acknowledged that we were returning guests and welcomed us back which was a very wonderful touch to the beginning of our vacation. The staff let us know of any changes from last year i.e. you can now wear shorts in the buffet, and helped us with our luggage to our room. It was as smooth as the check in process could be!

Room: If you're looking back at the resort from the beach, we were located on the right wing this time. We booked a superior room which was honored with a beautiful view of the courtyard. The entire room has the art deco style of the resort, which I knew to expect. There are his and her sinks, a Jacuzzi tub, shower area, with both a handheld shower head and a rain shower. The toilet area has a separate door so you can do your business in peace. Our room had a privacy curtain as well, which we didn't need but would be useful to request if you're traveling with friends or family. We were greeted with a beautiful fruit tray and during the week an amazing and VERY delicious edible flower dessert. These were amazing touches that helped make our stay that much better! There is a sitting area, fabulous sized balcony, a mini fridge filled with lots of refreshments and beer, as well as a liquor dispenser with Bacardi rum, Smirnoff vodka, Tequila and and Brandy.

Beach: The beach was just as stunning as last year! The water is very clear and blue, just like a picture from a postcard. The first few days were a bit windy and the waves were quite large, but this is nothing the resort can control of course and were very fun to play in if you're a swimmer. There is a waiter that comes out to the beach with drinks galore; both alcoholic and non alcoholic, on a giant tray. There are no palapas as the beach, but a vast array of palm trees and it's not hard to find shade. There are LOTS of chairs at the beach and there was never an issue finding one.

Pool: There are multiple pools with each one serving a different purpose. There is one with the swim up bar, another with a volleyball net, a quieter one for lounging and one for swimming laps. There is a lifeguard on staff as well that patrols the pools. We never had any issue finding chairs by the pool either. There is pool service and the waiters come around taking drink orders. I was very impressed by how speedy they are as well. We didn't personally encounter the towel game being played at the pool during our stay either, which I know can be an issue at some resorts.

Food: One word: AMAZING! From last year to this year, the food quality is still phenomenal for a resort. The buffet has a different theme each night, along with their regular dishes so that you don't get tired of the food. We went to the steakhouse and the Miyagi Japanese a la carte restaurants this time around and both had fantastic dishes. I had the pan fried grouper at the Japanese and the Rotisserie chicken at the Steakhouse. The other people I was with, all had the steak and loved it as well. I was wow'ed at the vast selection of the food at both the buffet and a la cartes. We had breakfast at the main buffet. The omelet station was my favorite if I had to choose, but there's so much selection that I'd have to limit myself each morning. For lunch, you have a choice of a beach BBQ each day, the buffet at the steakhouse near both the beach and pool, and a smaller buffet in La Bodega; the Mexican a la carte restaurant, attached to the main building.

Bars: The bars at the Riu Palace Mexico serve both national and international labelled alcohol. For the international branded alcohol, just ensure that you ask for it by name; i.e. Captain Morgan Spiced Rum vs. just asking for rum. The Riu Palace Mexico has different options for beer this year which was different from last year. They have Dos Equis, both regular and amber on tap and in cans, Tecate beer in bottles that they would pour out for you. We noticed some other guests were having Sol beer, but not sure if it was through the resort or not.

Nightlife: We would watch the different shows at the Riu Palace Mexico each night and sometimes head over to the Riu Tequila to enjoy some additional drinks. There is also a disco located at the Riu Tequila. Last year they had an out of control fog machine, which was the reason we tended to stay away, but this year it was no longer there, which I am very happy with! If you go into Playa Del Carmen at night, I'd highly recommend going with the entertainers as they know all the hot spots.

Grounds: Immaculate! You'll notice countless gardeners ensuring that the the grounds are well manicured. If a guest happens to litter (yuck), the staff will take care of it in a heartbeat. I love the garden artwork that the staff work very hard at making and maintaining as well. The cleaning staff are also hard at work, making sure the facilities look good as new!

Service: One of the driving factors that brought me back to the Riu Palace Mexico was the amazing service. The staff are always on hand to ensure that you have an amazing stay. I didn't expect anyone to recognize us from last year and was absolutely floored when some of the staff did! It was so amazing! I have to send a special THANK YOU to Enriqué at the pool bar, Omar at the pool bar, Francisco at the Miyagi Japanese a la carte, the ENTIRE animation team: Cindy, Enriqué, Franco, Al, Christian, Angelina and everyone else. They are so much fun and are always hosting different activities for you to take part in!

Resort: As previously mentioned in my review from last year, the resort has an art deco look to it which can be a bit much for some. Myself however, I personally love this look and definitely wasn't shocked the second time around. Staying the Riu Palace Mexico you can enjoy the facilities and food at the other Riu resorts, but have to eat dinner at the Riu Palace Mexico. Unlimited WiFi is included for guests at this resort as well. Upon check in you'll be given an access ID and password to log in.

Overall: What can I say? I had the perfect vacation in paradise. The Riu Palace Mexico has exceeded my expectations once again and I will be back in the future! I could go on and on over how much I love it there, but I'd recommend that you check it out for yourself!

Room Tip: High floor facing the courtyard
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends