The boyfriend and I stayed at the Riu in early April 2014 for 6 nights and we only have rave reviews for the resort and its wonderful staff. This was our second time returning to the Riu Palace Mexico (Please see our previous review for more details). We last stayed there in October 2013 for 6 nights and both times, we had an unforgettable vacation!
Arrival: We booked our shuttle transportation through Travelocity and arrived at the resort after about an hour ride from the airport. Imagine our surprise and delight when Manuel (the best doorman EVER) greeted us with “Welcome Home, Amigos”. They actually somehow remembered us from our previous trip. You can’t beat that amazing hospitality. On top of that, they cheerfully gave us a tropical drink while we checked in, which was a breeze. Like the previous trip, our room was on the first floor and close to the beach. Our patio faced trees and the resort next door, but this did not affect us as we did not spend a lot of time in our rooms except to get ready and to sleep. Being on the first floor also means not having to go up and down the stairs so we were quite happy with our room.
Weather: It rained a couple of times while we were there but each time only lasted for a couple of hours. The staff worked diligently to mop the grounds because the next day, you would not have been able to guess it had rained at all. The rest of the week was comfortably warm.
Remarkable Staff: Everyone at the Riu is always greeting you with a smile and go out of their way to make your stay truly amazing. The Riu hospitality is above and beyond comparison. Everyone from the bartenders, to the front desk, to the entertainment staff is always kind, friendly, and helpful. Shout out to Manuel for making us feel at home and to Francisco in the restaurants for providing superb service to us throughout the week.
Beautiful Grounds: The grounds are kept meticulously clean and spotless. At any point in the day, you will see someone cleaning something somewhere. I suppose the décor is a matter of preference but we personally loved the décor. We thought all the décor from the guest rooms to the main lobby and restaurants were very modern and chic.
Stunning Beach: The water is calm and the most clear shade of turquoise with long stretches of soft white sand. There were no rocks or seaweed in the water as we have seen elsewhere. The pools were nice as well, but with a beach this gorgeous we’d rather spend every day swimming in the ocean. There were always plenty of lounge chairs and shade under the palm trees. This was the most beautiful beach we have ever been to.
Delicious food: The buffets are extensive with a wide selection of food that is not only beautifully displayed but also delicious. There is only a specific time frame in the morning each day that you can reserve a spot for the specialty restaurants. So if you miss that time frame, you're out of luck. But the food in the buffet is so good, you don’t feel that you are missing out much. We were able to dine in the Steak restaurant, Krystal fusion restaurant, and the Italian restaurant and all had great presentation and tasty meals. The Cappuccino Bar in the lobby was my personal favorite place to relax at night, enjoying the delicious drinks and desserts, while listening to live classical piano.
You would really have to go out of your way to find minuscule fault with this resort.
We are beyond excited to be returning to the Riu Palace Mexico for two weeks in August and know we are set for yet another unforgettable experience. Book your trip confidently. See everyone there!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., RIU Hotels and Resorts, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen