“5 Star Honeymoon”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #30 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed for 11 nights from 23rd July. On arrival we were 'upgraded' to a Garden view room, which although no different from the other ones without the view did make it a nicer room. We stayed in room 1139 which is a little closer to the beach than the hotel which we found convenient as when you are returning from the hot sun it was nice to get out the heat as soon as poss.

The room itself was very modern, we quite liked the open plan bathroom, didn't use the bath but would use the powerful shower twice a day. We received clean towels twice a day too, our maid Silvia was first class. She kept our room spotless and she would always wait for us to go to breakfast and then clean our room so it was ready for us when we got back. We loved the evening turn down service from the night maid (although she only did my wife's' side of the bed!!!). We used the mini bar a coupe of times but as there is so many other places to get drinks we never used the optics.

The bar staff are top class, during the day at the pool bar they make cocktails which maybe aren't as high quality as the evening but are more than acceptable and there is never a queue of more than 2 people at the bar. The waiters here are amazing, the guy who brings the drinks to the beach beggars belief. He does not stop and I am happy to say we tipped him almost every time he brought as drinks as I cannot believe how many he carried at once and with such frequency. There was a day when they put someone else on duty (must have been a new guy as he had bright white uniform) but he would constantly put his tray down for a break and would only carry half as many drinks and less frequently.

In the evening the outside entertainment bar is where most people sit, there are lots of seats and you can normally find a table without too much pain, again there are many waiters who are fed orders from the supervisors who make sure everyone has drinks every 15 minutes or so. The drinks here are much better quality. There was one crazy waitress who walks at 10MPH and always said 'Hello Lady!' to my wife!!.

The best place for drinks and atmosphere is the lobby bar, the drinks were amazing, the martinis where as great, made with branded spirits in large measures and quality glassware. They had a great pianist who played most nights for a few hours from about 7pm. We did head over to the Club Riu one night, however we found the drinks much poorer quality and the lack of table service wasn't worth the improvement in the entertainment. The entertainment at Riu Palace in out opinion is poor, I was expecting more, it was 3 star holiday camp really. In 11 days there was only 3 'shows' most nights it was cover band, then karaoke then more cover band. Please invest some quality outside entertainment it is really the only complaint I have.

The beach at this hotel is unbelievable, if you have only been to European ones then you are in for a surprise, it was better than paradise. We never struggled to get a sunbed, there are places in the shade at the back or in the sun at the front or you play chase the shade with the palm trees as I did. You really must swim in the sea here, it is so clear and normally calm. People generally just mingle around, some snorkel and will bring food to feed the fish which is awesome to see so many. We did go to the pools a couple of days but its cooler on the beach as there is a sea breeze and as I managed to convince my wife who hates sand and sea water than really you could sit round the pool it could be anywhere in the world there are not many places where you can enjoy a beach as good as this, you will not be disappointed.

Food at the hotel is very good, breakfast is great, I don't think there is anyone who would not find something they like, you can have omelette, full English, toasted sandwiches, fresh made filled croissants, fruit, cereals its endless. We ate at an A La Carte restaurant almost every night as my wife didn't really enjoy the evening buffet. My fav was the steakhouse, wife loved the Mexican, Italian was ok, Krystal not to our taste. Yes you have to get up and book them but there was always spaces even if we went at 10am. I preferred the personal service and the relaxed atmosphere they offer. Plus 5 star to me means restaurant not buffet.

If you managed to sit through my drivel then if you are considering a trip to Playa Del Carmen do visit this hotel you will not be disappointed, it was true 5 star, couldn't ask for more. The standards applied are first class and the work ethic of the staff outstanding. I offer this as proof, at 5.30 am there was about 50 cleaners all over the hotel, including 2 cleaning the chandeliers in the lobby and another moving every piece of furniture to clean behind it. Well done Riu, your staff are a credit to your hotel. Thank you

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
22  Thank bigcol218

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I have travelled the world and stayed at many good hotels. But this hotel merits the recognition of being truly a first class hotel with excellent service. The hotel rooms were beautifully renovated and very well maintained. They were spotless. Full mini bar. Free wifi. 24 hour room service. The lobby bar is air conditioned and absolutely beautiful. It's like a Vegas hotel in Mexico. The beach. Crystal clear waters and great snorkeling.
All the restaurants were very good. The decor was top notch along with the food. I took a tour of the kitchen and all the good must be FDA approved and mostly imported from the USA. All in all a wonderful experience.
I booked a spa day as well. The staff was well trained very professional. My massage was one hour and twenty minutes of absolute heaven.
I have never witnessed such a well run and maintained hotel such as this. Will go back for sure.
I hope this helps anyone making their choice easier.

Stayed: August 2014
12  Thank Frank C
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

First time in Mexico, hotel fantastic, immaculate throughout, stayed in room 148 which has a privacy curtain between the bed and the jacuzzi which is good if sharing with a teenager, we noticed a slight "musty" smell but this seemed confined to the drawers, however it didn't affect our clothes one bit.
The food is fantastic, we didn't bother with the speciality restaurants as we found the main buffet brilliant, everything you could possibly imagine!
The staff are fantastic, always greeted you with a smile and couldn't do enough for you, and the waiters always remembered what your drinks were.
We never had a problem getting loungers by the pool or at the beach at any point in the day, and felt totally safe at all times with leaving belongings at the loungers while we had lunch, went for a stroll etc.
Can't understand why there are negative reviews about this amazing hotel, I wonder if the people were at the same one, but I guess some people are hard to please. We will definitely be returning next year!!
Everyone should experience this wonderful hotel at least once in their lives. ❤️

Stayed: July 2014
21  Thank Joanne H
Reviewed 7 August 2014

For a 5-star Hotel, water in the rooms coming from the ceiling should not happen. Unfortunately we never got it fixed and our clothes and shoes were all wet. The rest was very good! Overall, very clean, food was excellent at the buffet and employees very good. The theme restaurant were fine but expected a little more from "Guacamole". Dora at the reception was the best!

• Stayed: August 2014
9  Thank Aderga
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Fantastic hotel, first class service, food excellent, friendly staff who went out of their way to help.

The hotel had its own private beach area with sunbeds and umbrellas.

Bar staff served you without having to come out of the pool, in fact everything that could be done for their visitors enjoyment had been considered.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank 248Bethany2610
Reviewed 6 August 2014

It was our 2 time in Riu Palace Mexico. This time was special- honeymoon!!! We got an upgrade to the ocean view. Food was exceptional as last time or even better . Restaurants are amazing!!! Drinks were so good, will come back for Mojitos for sure. People in this hotel are so nice!!!!
It was the best two weeks ever!!!
Will defenatly come back!!!
Love Riu Palace Mexico!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Olgakiss75
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have been spoiled - I really like staying at the Palace Resorts specifically Moon Palace (black level). So in comparison, here are my pros/cons:

PROS: Playa has incredible white sandy beaches and pretty blue water. (Did scuba for the first time here.) We've been here twice over Thanksgiving and the staff is wonderful (attentive and amicable). I am not much of a drinker, but have nothing negative to report such as I have heard from others complain (from different all-inclusives) about water-down drinks, they have brand-name liquor. The last time we stayed, the room was renovated - trendy style. Riuland is great for my (then) 3-year old son.

CONS: Selected times to eat at the restaurants other than the buffet. At the Moon, you do not have to do that. I do not like having to plan my day according to when we eat dinner. If we get the earlier reservation, that means I need to watch the clock to go wash up/get ready for dinner plus my toddler. During my last visit the pool water was gross. Like too much sunscreen was washed off, not getting filtered properly. I like to swim - wear goggles - and saw too much "stuff".

Taste of the food... I could go either way. Nothing special to note, but never got sick either! I believe there has to be some give... this is Mexico. I do not know of any food regulations for Mexico. And from what I have experienced, none are Michelin-starred and some people think a fine all-inclusive should be.. Some items are better than others of course.

Entertainment/Activity level: It is okay. It gets lively in the pool area in the mid-morning and dwindles down towards dinner time.There's a show at night for adults and I think nightly live music afterwards. The complex is not that big to wonder around. I am not a "spring-breaker" type, but felt it is quite mellow (again, compared to Moon).

Room Tip: I forget which direction of a room you should request. For instance, a north facing room and not bei...