We have just got back from a two week stay at the palace. My partner and I enjoyed every second of our stay. Firstly if you are looking for a relaxing resort area to stay in whilst in Mexico then I can't think of a better place than playacar. It's safe, has a beautiful beach and you don't get pestered with people trying to sell you things when you leave the hotel for a wander (apart from the odd Havana cigar seller). After visiting playa del carmen and cancun we were both very glad that we chose playacar.
The hotel itself in appearance is very grand, you can tell that they have recently refurbished the hotel and they have done a very good job. A nice welcome drink when you arrive helps you to settle quite quickly.
Rooms - big, spacious and immaculate. They look exactly the same as the pictures that they show you online and in the brochures. Lots of people complained of the musky smell online but my partner and I never smelt it. I do agree with some of the other comments about the toilet cubicle, very small. But it fits the purpose well, can't think of many reasons why you would need a load of space while your on the loo. The liquor dispenser is a good addition to the room, nice if you want a little top up whilst getting ready. The fridge is loaded full of water, beers and soft drinks. The maids who clean the room do an excellent job and certainly deserve the odd tip. The hotel next door is quite noisy and they do keep the party going on until at least half twelve every night. Our room was facing that side, it didn't effect us that much. But something to be aware of if you want an early night or you are a light sleeper.
Swimming pools/beach area - there are two small pools which are used for scuba instructors and water volleyball at some points of the day as well as a moderate sized pool that is used mostly by families. There is also the swim up bar which is nice and relaxing. One thing about the swim up bar is that we noticed lots of people drinking throughout the day but not many people leaving the pool bar to go to the loo. When you sit anywhere by the pool you will become accustomed with 'todo bien?' The waiters work so hard to ensure that if you don't want to get up to get a drink then you don't have to. They work so hard and keep going in a very pleasant manner throughout the day. The pools were not very refreshing as they were quite warm, but that's only natural due to the heat of Mexico. If you want a refreshing dip then you can head to the sea, it had a nice chill that will cool you down. We were quite lucky to witness baby turtles hatching and then crawling into the sea one evening. We got quite excited and will have a special memory to remember.
All inclusive package - you can literally order what ever drink you want. A great selection of international brands for all types of sprits. I was happy with the beer, I preferred the dark beer that they had. The food....well the food was amazing. We tried the fusion and the steak house...I wish I could go back to try the fillet steak again!! The buffet had a wide variety of choice, huge selection of meats and had something for everyone.
Entertainment - the entertainment team worked tirelessly in the day. They try to get everyone involved in the many activities. They don't pester you if you say no though. The evening entertainment wasn't so good, but the white party was worth going to.
If you looking to have a nice relaxing holiday and be spoilt then you can't really go wrong with the riu palace Mexico. We thoroughly enjoyed our honeymoon and would love to return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U., RIU Hotels and Resorts, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen