“Honeymoon couple from Wales”

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Ranked #28 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon couple from Wales”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We have just got back from a two week stay at the palace. My partner and I enjoyed every second of our stay. Firstly if you are looking for a relaxing resort area to stay in whilst in Mexico then I can't think of a better place than playacar. It's safe, has a beautiful beach and you don't get pestered with people trying to sell you things when you leave the hotel for a wander (apart from the odd Havana cigar seller). After visiting playa del carmen and cancun we were both very glad that we chose playacar.

The hotel itself in appearance is very grand, you can tell that they have recently refurbished the hotel and they have done a very good job. A nice welcome drink when you arrive helps you to settle quite quickly.

Rooms - big, spacious and immaculate. They look exactly the same as the pictures that they show you online and in the brochures. Lots of people complained of the musky smell online but my partner and I never smelt it. I do agree with some of the other comments about the toilet cubicle, very small. But it fits the purpose well, can't think of many reasons why you would need a load of space while your on the loo. The liquor dispenser is a good addition to the room, nice if you want a little top up whilst getting ready. The fridge is loaded full of water, beers and soft drinks. The maids who clean the room do an excellent job and certainly deserve the odd tip. The hotel next door is quite noisy and they do keep the party going on until at least half twelve every night. Our room was facing that side, it didn't effect us that much. But something to be aware of if you want an early night or you are a light sleeper.

Swimming pools/beach area - there are two small pools which are used for scuba instructors and water volleyball at some points of the day as well as a moderate sized pool that is used mostly by families. There is also the swim up bar which is nice and relaxing. One thing about the swim up bar is that we noticed lots of people drinking throughout the day but not many people leaving the pool bar to go to the loo. When you sit anywhere by the pool you will become accustomed with 'todo bien?' The waiters work so hard to ensure that if you don't want to get up to get a drink then you don't have to. They work so hard and keep going in a very pleasant manner throughout the day. The pools were not very refreshing as they were quite warm, but that's only natural due to the heat of Mexico. If you want a refreshing dip then you can head to the sea, it had a nice chill that will cool you down. We were quite lucky to witness baby turtles hatching and then crawling into the sea one evening. We got quite excited and will have a special memory to remember.

All inclusive package - you can literally order what ever drink you want. A great selection of international brands for all types of sprits. I was happy with the beer, I preferred the dark beer that they had. The food....well the food was amazing. We tried the fusion and the steak house...I wish I could go back to try the fillet steak again!! The buffet had a wide variety of choice, huge selection of meats and had something for everyone.

Entertainment - the entertainment team worked tirelessly in the day. They try to get everyone involved in the many activities. They don't pester you if you say no though. The evening entertainment wasn't so good, but the white party was worth going to.

If you looking to have a nice relaxing holiday and be spoilt then you can't really go wrong with the riu palace Mexico. We thoroughly enjoyed our honeymoon and would love to return!

10 Thank GEPhilly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (933)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
High Wycombe, Bucks, UK
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Following our recent visit to this resort we can only add that this hotel, location, staff and food is excellent in every aspect. The food is fantastic and plentiful, of the best quality in its presentation and taste all helped by fantastic staff that could not do enough for you. The Banquet night on a Thursday is the best with beef wellington and fresh lobster as two dishes to highlight.
On top of the excellent food the staff were outstanding, you did n't even have to wait to have your glass refilled or your empty plates cleared away - the staff were on top of everything - even when the restaurants were busy. The other smaller restaurants are worth visiting and especially the Steak bar and the Italian restaurant.
The hotel was always well kept, we spent every day on the beach and the service was excellent with plenty of beds and a regular visit from the drinks waiter. The beach is beautiful with miles of white sand and the sea was very welcoming and refreshing. the only downside was an invasion of seaweed but the hotel staff worked tirelessly to remove it and tidy the beach up quickly.
We would return and highly recommend this resort to anyone, we also feel it is excellent value for money.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jon L
Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

You may well have read some negatives regarding this hotel, we did, but believe me the positives outweigh them by far.
To begin with the negatives, or rather 'things that maybe could be better' :
I did not and will never get used to the bath being next to the bed :-)
There is a musty smell occasionally, come with humidity I believe.
The pools are warm (so is the sea, comes with the heat ;-).

With those out of the way, which personally I found easy to live with, onto the positives:
Hotel Cleanliness was outstanding.
Grounds were constantly being attended to.
Rooms cleaned every day.
Fridge restocked on a regular basis and a phone call gets you anything you require.
Premium drinks.
Free WiFi.
Food was amazing, both in the main restaurant and also the a la cartes, yes you do have to book them and the steakhouse does tend to fill up quickly.
Waiter service in every public area.
24 Hour lobby bar contains a whole range of drinks, alcohol and non alcohol, hot and cold along with an assortment of snacks. (I looked on it as my own kebab shop on way to bed )
Taxi's available all day and night, just see doorman, all fixed price, told to you up front.
Room service available (included)
Pool/Beach towel service, change as many times as you like each day.
Generous meal slots so no need to rush around.
Palace guests can use all of the 6 local Riu hotels for pools, drinks, lunch or breakfast .
If the entertainment is not lively enough for you just nip over the road to the Tequila, where, by the way, Jose will make you any drink you require :-) They also have a nightclub should you fancy it.
Finally the staff, firstly not once did I see one member of the 400+ staff looking for a tip. They really cannot do enough for you, they are all fantastic. They are either working or looking for something to do.
We made friends with all the ones we came across, whether you are by the pool, in the lounge, outside or in the restaurant, whatever you want they will get for you. I am convinced some of them are telepathic as I would lie there thinking I fancy a beer and normally Axl would turn up saying "Senor something else?"
Paco and Yamir are top guys in the restaurant too .
We had rose petals and champagne on our anniversary table in the Krystal and I had singing waiters, chocolate cake and champagne at breakfast on my birthday.
Obviously they appreciate a tip so if you feel they deserve one then feel free.
Before going, I wasn't sure if this type of place would appeal to me but we will definitely be going back and definitely to the Palace.
Chill out , switch off and let them take care of you ....Enjoy :-)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Steve J
New Jersey
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We were originally booked to stay at the Riu Yucatan. After waiting for 3 hours for our rooms to be ready in the extremely humid and hot sun in the un-air conditioned lobby only to find out.... they screwed up!! They gave us a regular room instead of the suite we payed for. To compensate us for the mix up we were "upgraded" to the Riu Palace Mexico. When we first arrived it was wonderful. The lobby was gorgeous and air conditioned!! Very Palace like with big beautiful chandeliers and lovely palace like furniture We were a party of 6(3 couples) and were welcomed with a shot of tequila! This is great or so we thought........... our "pool view" room was anything but and miles away from the bath like pool. the water was so warm there was no cooling from the Mexican Sun!...don't even try to order shots and drinks at the swim up bar...they will only make the shots they feel like and tell you that they are not allowed to make anything else...but when the guy next to me handed the bartender a five dollar bill the rules changed and his drinks and shots were a flowing! Mind you this was an all inclusive trip..i shouldnt HAVE to tip for service....i should tip for great service but this was anything but!!!! ...wait staff was unfriendly...it was like you were almost afraid to ask them for anything like getting me a beer was so exhausting..seriously!!....entertainers were extremely pushy..dude i don't want to dance with you was the line i had to repeat at least 5 times a night. or if i saw one coming i would pretend i was on the phone..wait staff in the out door lounge area were great..if you already booked your trip make sure you get Albert...hes he best!...the buffet was large but they had the same stuff night after night.....and we all got sick...cant pin point from what exactly but the extremely small bathroom was our best friend. your face literally touches the door when you are going....the restaurants were ok if you like small portions..and you couldnt order more even if you were still hungry.....the most popular restaurant was the steak house (which was all open...so you could enjoy your pipping hot steak in the humidity!!) but you had to make a reservation by 7AM in order to dine at the only two time slots they had available which was 6:30 or 8:30 ...the beach was full of SEAWEED! on the sand and in the ocean...very disappointing...half of the beach chairs were broke and dont even try to get a drink ....wait staff was no where to be found...they would check on you every hour or so...the rooms had a smell to them...the drawers had a smell to them...although house keeping kept the room nice and made us towel animals everyday (make sure you tip them!) the smell would just not go away! the sheets on the bed felt damp from the air conditioning...i think if it were in a different location the room and sheets would be better...except for the toilet everything in the room is open concept...the shower which is a good size...room for 2 , the Jacuzzi ....well lets just say its more like a baby bath...not big enough for 2 adults...and i would worry the water would spill out once you were in...very narrow...our last night there the staff at the buffet had all the tables covered in rose petals and candles...and we were asked to fill out a survey on how the service was. Well that night the service was great! Our chairs pulled out,napkins placed on our laps, drinks re filled , empty plates taking away without having to flag a waiter down, excellent service with a smile well heres the catch......This one waiter actually came over and looked over my friends shoulder as she was completing her survey and said .."Is everything ok?" She replied with "Yes" he then pointed at her survey and said " Thats not the box you checked off" WOW!!! she and i were stunned!!! We then quickly realized that the big bosses were on site and finished our surveys and rushed them to the box before Mr. Rude waiter could get another glimpse. The next morning at breakfast ...the wait staff was un-attentive and rude ...Needless to say we will NOT be revisiting the Riu Palace Mexico again....or any Riu resort for that matter..........

6 Thank Jennifer M
avon, ohio
Reviewed 22 August 2014

8/10/14 to 8/17/14 Visit to Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen Mexico!!! It is difficult to describe what a wonderful resort this is.
I have been to Riviera Maya 12 times and visited several all inclusives. This tops all of them !!! Service and staff are 5 star !!

Food is outstanding !! Buffet..everything delicious and what a variety !
We visited both the Krystal and steak house which were excellent.

I would recommend a room facing the courtyard. We were in room 1135 which was beautiful and close to the pools and beach.

Check in and out were excellent !!

We met people from all over the world. Switzerland, Hungary, Holland, Norway, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, UK, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Canada and US.

Cleanliness is unbelievable !

The one and only disapointment was the beach and seaweed which no one has mentioned and no staff member could explain. The seaweed was 3-4 feet high and very smelly. We were unable to enjoy the beach and ocean all week.

We can't wait to return sans seeweed!

Room Tip: room 1135 is excellent !!!!!!
8 Thank bob s
New York, NY
Reviewed 19 August 2014

On my last two days of an eleven day stay and so glad I chose The Riu Palace Mexico. All of the negatives that I read were true, but all and all they seemed very small when compared to the over all experience:

The Bad: Yeah, there's a musty smell in the rooms. You get used to is. The tub in the middle of the room is weird. Without a privacy curtain it would be very awkward. The music from the Wyndham next door is maddening from 11pm to 1am. I go to bed at about midnight and it drives me crazy. The water drains do smell a little funny sometimes. I read about all of these issues and as I said, they're present, but largely irrelevant. The one thing that I found a bit of an issue is the size of the pools. Very small.

The Good: Everything else. The staff is unbelievably good. They are friendly, professional and attentive without fail. Every detail is attended to before you can think to ask. The grounds are immaculately kept. There has been an influx of seaweed the week that I've been here, the news says its the worst in years. Every day the RPM staff is on the beach digging holes and burying the seaweed so that the beach is functional and they seem to be doing it with a good attitude. The directors say everyone has been pitching in from all departments and the team work mentality in the staff really pays off.

The food ranges from good to awesome. I live in NYC and have sushi and steak options galore but the steak I had in the sushi restaurant may be the best I've ever had. I had fish at Krystal and it to was perfect. Italian was pretty bad but I'm going to call it a fluke.

All and all near perfect experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank ntjvy
Toronto
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We traveled with two young children (8&12) and with my elderly parents. My daughter and father have severe life threatening food allergies and therefore every time we travel I have to ensure that Management fully understands what this entails. Well, at RPM I was very satisfied with the Head Chef and his appreciation and understanding of our issues. He was very helpful at pointing out what was safe for my daughter and father to eat and we felt safe. Thank you so much!
The staff at this resort were all so accommodating and extremely friendly. I don't think I've ever seen such contentment, they all seem to really love what they do and take great pride in doing a good job. The staff never seemed to expect a tip and when we did tip they were ever so gracious and appreciated it very much. This is also something else I haven't seen at any of the many places we have visited.
Everything about this place was truly exceptional - first class all the way. Thanks to everyone at RPM who went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable and to the Management team who are doing such an exceptional job with their staff. Great job!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank arias8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#39 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,340 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,871 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Mexico? Share your experiences!