Just returned from an 8 day stay at the Riu Palace Mexico. The best vacation ever! The rooms were spacious and very clean. Unlike other places, this room and bathroom did not have an odor. There were small mosquitoes that flew around (one or two a night) but they do not bother you. We did not have any issues with "lost or stolen" items as other reviewers mentioned. We always locked our valuables in the safe. Our room was on the first floor and facing the hotel next door. We even brought our camera to the pool and beach but never had anything stolen.
The service at this hotel is outstanding - you are waited on hand and foot. You can eat at either the buffet or the specialty restaurants each evening. The reservation system for the specialty restaurants leaves a little bit to be desired. You must wait at the lounge between 8 and 8:30am for someone to distribute numbers and then you are called to make your selection. We did not have difficulty getting into any restaurant. Our favorite was the Krystal which we sent to twice. Men must wear long slacks to all restaurants.
The pool area is quiet, although there is a major issue with the reserving of chairs with towels. We always had a place but I would see towels on chairs not occupied until 12 noon -- a bit unfair to those who actually want to relax before then.
It is nice to lounge at the pool -- the side opposite the pool bar is nice and quiet. The drink service is prompt and frequent - always someone around to serve you.
We walked to several of the other Riu hotels nearby which are certainly a more casual atmosphere than this hotel. It all depends on what you are looking for.
We especially enjoyed sitting on the terrace in the evening and listening to the band and watching others dance while we were waited on hand and foot -- a true, relaxing vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km / 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * Within the Playacar resort, along with the Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * 2-storey building * Surrounded by 20,000 m2 / 24,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 200 m / 650 feet from Mexican Street * 55 km / 34 miles from Cancun Int???L. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Agoda, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Mexico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Mexico Hotel
- Riu Palace Mexico Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Palace Mayan Riviera
- Riu Playa Del Carmen
- Mexico Palace Riu
- Riu Mexico
- Rui Palace Mexico
- Hotel Riu Palace Mexico Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen