Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$385
US$293
Bookit.com
US$605
US$589
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
US$320
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$326
US$258
Barcelo.com
US$320
US$301
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$413
US$352
Agoda.com
US$260
US$222
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$806
US$702
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$556
US$399
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
US$233
HotelsClick
5,947 results
All reviewsla bodegapalm treesdon julianspecialty restaurantsgala nightcourtyard viewpool barbeds pushed togethermusty smellbuffet restauranthour loungescuba caribelobstergated communitymain buffetother resortsplenty of chairs
Reviewed 10 January 2009

Just returned from an 8 day stay at the Riu Palace Mexico. The best vacation ever! The rooms were spacious and very clean. Unlike other places, this room and bathroom did not have an odor. There were small mosquitoes that flew around (one or two a night) but they do not bother you. We did not have any issues with "lost or stolen" items as other reviewers mentioned. We always locked our valuables in the safe. Our room was on the first floor and facing the hotel next door. We even brought our camera to the pool and beach but never had anything stolen.
The service at this hotel is outstanding - you are waited on hand and foot. You can eat at either the buffet or the specialty restaurants each evening. The reservation system for the specialty restaurants leaves a little bit to be desired. You must wait at the lounge between 8 and 8:30am for someone to distribute numbers and then you are called to make your selection. We did not have difficulty getting into any restaurant. Our favorite was the Krystal which we sent to twice. Men must wear long slacks to all restaurants.
The pool area is quiet, although there is a major issue with the reserving of chairs with towels. We always had a place but I would see towels on chairs not occupied until 12 noon -- a bit unfair to those who actually want to relax before then.
It is nice to lounge at the pool -- the side opposite the pool bar is nice and quiet. The drink service is prompt and frequent - always someone around to serve you.
We walked to several of the other Riu hotels nearby which are certainly a more casual atmosphere than this hotel. It all depends on what you are looking for.
We especially enjoyed sitting on the terrace in the evening and listening to the band and watching others dance while we were waited on hand and foot -- a true, relaxing vacation!

• Stayed: January 2009
7  Thank sunnyoneMaryland
Reviewed 7 January 2009

Riu Palace Mexico

We had a teriffic vacation. It was everything we had hope for.

A very friendly staff that always greeted us with smiles and went out of their way to make sure we got everything we needed.

Our room was spotless and well provided for. As far as the entire cleanliness of the entire resort, it iwas also spotless.

The food was excellent, fresh and plentiful

The beach and ocean were one of the nicest we have been to and perfectly maintained ,just soft clean sand no trash, seaweed or coral.

The pool was sparkling and the surroundings exceptionally clean.

We enjoyed all the entertainment, both on stage and off.

In total, I would definitely say that this is a five star resort and we appreciate that the staff works so hard to make our vacation so enjoyable..

Leah and Al Sanders
Cheshire Ct

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sandear
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We got an upgrade from Riu Tequila to stay here for 3 days. We were told this was their best property so figured we'd take the upgrade.
The lobby was nice, however it had a horrible musty/stale cigarette odor that never went away. After checking in they instructed us to the elevator and said our bags would arrive to our room shorty thereafter. When we got in the elevator I commented on how hot it was in there. All the sudden the elevator got stuck! We tried pressing the buttons to open and NOTHING! I panicked because litterally we were sweltering of heat! My husband had to pry the doors open and thank god it was on a floor. We notified the front desk and didn't use the elevator again til we checked out. As we waited for it to come down, there were 4 people stuck in it! So we hauled our luggage up the stairs and wouldn't use it!
The grounds were very nice and well maintained. The pool was smaller than the other resorts. Much smaller. Oddly it didn't have shallow ends! At the other resorts everytime you ran into an employee they always said "hola" and had a welcoming smile. NOT HERE! The atmosphere was very unwelcoming. The food selection wasn't nearly as big nor as good as Tequila. Our room was 00030 on the bottom level. Warning: if you have a room on the bottom level this side you have a view of a fence where the walk way is to the beach from the other resorts. So basically if you were in your room you had to keep the curtains shut or everyone could see directly in your room! The only thing we liked about this resort was we actually got towel art in our room and the beach was beautiful. However when we were at Tequila, we had access to Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar that was on the beach. The sand bags in the ocean were unsightly but they did block the big waves so you could swim!
Overall, if we had paid to stay here I would have been upset! I really wish we didn't take the upgrade and spent our last few days at Tequila. It was much more fun there. I read a review on here from one woman that stated they would have had more fun at a funeral parlor then staying here, she was right! Save your money and book Riu Tequila! Such a wonderful resort and very friendly staff! They go out of their way to make you feel welcome!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JK315
Reviewed 5 January 2009

A recent Christmas trip to Playa del Carmen, a lovely spot on the Riviera Maya, was ruined by inept and inhospitable management at the RIU Palace Mexico. As a direct result of a hotel air conditioning repairman failing to latch a first-floor patio door, my son's room was broken into. Probably due to being frightened while going through his backpack (which was dumped unceremoniously on the bed), the thief left with only the backpack and what he thought was a wallet. When we discovered the theft, my son's driver's license, which was the only thing in the wallet, was on the patio floor. We contacted hotel security and then went to the front desk to make our report. The General Manager of the hotel, a woman who's name I have but I need not share here, informed us that there was nothing she could do, as RIU policy prevented her from making good on the theft. I suggested that all she need do was credit my bill with the cost of the empty backpack (US$200) and, if it was found later, merely reverse the credit (the vacation, for 7 of us, had already cost US$20,000 with airfare and transfers.) She refused and said that all I could do was file a police report. She would do nothing. Her attitude was the classic "You'll be gone in a day or two and I could care less what happens to you, your backpack or your family." She then informed me that the wallet had been found, ,empty (it was empty when it started, except for the license) in an area surrounded by three used condoms. Used condoms! How lady-like! Did she mean for me to believe that my son had left his backpack somewhere on her grounds after a rather robust night of sexual activity? That would have been impossible, as he slept in our room that night. He forgot his room key and the night staff at the front desk, without ever asking to see any identification, had given him the room key to someone else's room! He couldn't have slept in his own room that night if he wanted to. His room key was on the night table right where he left it the next morning when we discovered the theft. The "condom" line had been done solely to embarass my son in my eyes. It did not.

I then contacted the Mexican State Police and waited three hours until they responded. When the General Manager saw the police at the curb, she promptly sent a messenger to the lobby to offer me, perhaps, a one-room upgrade (we had three for the family.) I told her no, I didn't want her single room upgrade, especially after killing a morning of my vacation. So this General Manager of a major chain allowed two uniformed Mexican State Police motorcycle cops with submachine guns strapped across their chests to interview me in her own main lobby! Then, when it became apparent that I was serious, a Captain of the State Police arrived in an armored vehicle with an anti-aircraft gun on the back, drove to the front door of the hotel, parked it there and came into the lobby to invite me to make my complaint with the Bilingual Minister of Justice of the Mexican Federal Police in Playa del Carmen. I did make this report, where I discovered that the logbook showed that the RIU chain in Playa del Carmen (though not this hotel unit) had its fair share of criminal complaints.

Wonder of wonders, the backpack showed up the next day, having been "found" at the pool. The General Manager, who had turned her front lobby into an armed camp, never had the courtesy to present it to me herself, but had a lackey do it. My e-mails to RIU's Vice President in Los Cabos went unanswered and my copy to RIU's Customer Service produced the classic "we're investigating" response.

The moral of the story is that there is something to be said for hotels bearing an American hotel chain name. We teach hospitality in our colleges and that principle is based on our belief that the smallest mistake is an opportunity to make a guest for life. Obviously, the huge RIU chain, which is heavily used by Europeans, gets away with having its luxury hotel units run by minor functionaries who do not have the autonomy to solve the sort of problems handled by American motel managers everyday.

Perhaps, in this failing economy, we should get smarter with our vacation dollars. The world is learning a valuable lesson right now. Without America, there is no global economy. My experience at the RIU Palace Mexico suggests that not everyone has learned that lesson as yet. By the way, the hotel is very lovely and the food (all inclusive) about at the level of a mid-level cruise line. The beach is the reason to go as it is far superior to any other RIU in the area.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank MouthpieceNYC
Reviewed 3 January 2009

Booked this hotel through a tour operator. We stayed at a sister Riu last year (playa del carmen). Riu is the equivalent of Starbucks of the hotels in the Cancun area. They have about 8 "palaces". Last year's experience was good, so we tried a different PALACE. It is identical in many ways to the bigger (and better) Palace (playa del carmen). Check-in service was relatively quick and the rooms were spacious and clean. You do need a flashlight in the shower tub as the Riu infamously keeps you in the dark in the shower area. Amenities of the property overall were good. The beach is very nice and clean with abundant chairs. Unfortunately those gigantic sand bags to stop beach erosion are quite unsightly, but necessary. The palm trees give the natural shade for those who prefer it without seeing the ugly colors of cheap and faded umbrellas. Beach bars were close and you could get service while lounging. The Pool was very disappointing. I was expecting to see the signature "palace pool" but the layout cuts the pool in half or quarters, and the look of concrete was inconsistent with the nice center fountains and landscape that dots the way to the beach and pool area. The pool looked like it was 4 small pools with no rhyme or reason. There was the obligatory swim up bar and an awkwardly placed volleyball net in the middle near the swim up bar!

If you are planning to go to the gym to work out, forget it. It is by far the most disappointing amenity. It is a room of about 15x15 with no view and a multitude of third rate and broken pieces of equipment. When I walked in, two 8-year old boys completely wet from the pool and with no shoes were using the equipment while their mom was non-chalantly using the only operational treadmill and completely oblivious to the kids endangering themselves. There were no towels, no cups, and an empty water cooler. There was sand on the floor.

Food is okay if you are a big fan of "sumptuous buffets". After a day of that, you're ready for change. Breakfast is definitely the best part. Employees in general had a good attitude and worked very hard. They were accommodating and courteous. Making dinner reservations for the small restaurants was difficult and you could see that they preferred that you go to the buffet as you have to make reservations between 8-1030AM. One day I was there at 9AM only to learn that the Japanese restaurant was "fully booked". I peaked in to see that the late seating still had open tables, but they refused to seat us because we did not have reservations!!!

As in the other Riu, this hotel is acoustically challenged. There was not one quiet spot in the whole resort. The walls are thin, and the cleaning crew carry real loud conversations in the hallways at 7AM! The tile is ribbed, so anything that rolls on it makes a lot of noise. If you escape to the pool for peace and quiet, you will be greeted with screaming kids, volleyball games, or even bingo. At the beach, your peace and quiet on the hammock is immediately ruined by beach volleyball, horseshoe contests or vendors hawking their ware.

This resort is not for everybody. If you go with low expectations, you will be happy. If you are a discriminating traveler with a keen eye, you will be annoyed.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family