Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
ClubHotel Riu Tequila(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Yucatan(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Viva Wyndham Maya(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Allegro Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Viva Wyndham Azteca(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Lupita(Playa del Carmen)
5,895 results
All reviewsla bodegapalm treesdon julianspecialty restaurantsgala nightcourtyard viewpool barbeds pushed togethermusty smellbuffet restauranthour loungescuba caribelobstergated communitymain buffetother resortsplenty of chairs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 February 2009

We did not enjoy our stay at the Rui Palace Mexico. We did not get the rooms we were told were reserved for us. Upon arrivial at the resort it took over 45 minutes to get checked in, although our travel agent had already made our arrangements. we found our room to be substandard at best. Our veiw was of the back of the kitchen facilities. We had rodents and spiders in our rooms and had two double beds pushed together. We were unable to book any of the a la cart resturaunts because of excursions we had booked, we were unable to line up every morning to place a reservation. It took twelve hours for the front desk to send someone to fix our plugged toilet.
the food was usually cold and breakfast consisted of leftovers from the night before. The pool is very small and cold. The beach itself was always crowded because the other Rui Resorts shared the same beach. The only thing we did enjoy was how close the resort was to town, and most of the staff was friendly. We would not choose to re-visit this resort.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Oounce
Reviewed 8 February 2009

Like many people I scoured the Tripadvisor reviews of the RIU Palace Riviera Maya before deciding to commit hard earned vacation dollars.

I don't believe you'll be disappointed with the hotel or its amenities should it be your choice. Is it for everyone? Perhaps not. If you're a young single looking for a go-go atmosphere this resort might not be your first choice. However, for those looking for a quality resort in a great location with well above average "all inclusive" food, beverage and entertainment The RIU Palace Riviera Maya presents an excellent choice. The hotel is very pleasing both visually and in its quality of service and amenities. The people working at this resort are pleasant, courteous and truly seem to care about the hotel's guests.

The hotel's location in Playacar is excellent. Playacar is a gated community just south of Playa del Carmen. It contains a number of resorts, condominiums, single homes and commercial areas.
There is a shopping plaza several blocks south of the hotel. The town of Playa del Carmen is about one and a half miles north of the hotel and is a relatively easy walk. Along the way are several Mayan architectural sites. For those who would rather ride into town the fare from the hotel is 50 pesos or $ 5.00 USD. Playa del Carmen itself is certainly worth going into. There are multitudes of shops, restaurants and boutique hotels. Fifth Avenue is a pedestrian only street and is worth strolling. In the evening many restaurants and bars have mariachi bands, folk singers and rock bands many of which may be enjoyed from the street. Playa del Carmen also has several large department style stores including a Wal*Mart.

The standard junior suites at RIU Palace Riviera Maya are designed in split level fashion. Upon entry into the room are the bathroom, sleeping and closet areas. Several steps down from the entry level is a sitting area and balcony. The sitting area has a sofa, cocktail table and clothes storage bureau. The room's television is located on the bureau in the sitting area. It can be difficult to watch the television from bed as it does not swivel toward the sleeping area. The bathroom in the room is quite large and has double sinks and a Jacuzzi tub with shower. One caveat in the bathroom. Because the Jacuzzi tub is quite deep there is about a 26 inch rise to step over in order to access the tub/shower. There are assist bars in several places to aid entry and exit.

Food is always important at an all-inclusive resort. The food, service and dining venues at the Palace Riviera Maya range from good to excellent. Breakfast which is available from 7:30 AM to 10:30 AM is at the Don Manuel buffet which features a wide variety of choices to suit both North American and European appetites. This restaurant which also serves buffet lunch and dinner selections has both indoor and outdoor seating areas. The outdoor seating area overlooks the hotel's central plaza, gardens and fountains. Specialty restaurant options include a steak house, japanese, mexican, brazilian and fusion venues. With the exception of the steak house all of the specialty restaurants are relatively small in size and are very nicely decorated to match each specialty theme. The steak house is transformed in the evening from a poolside buffet. This buffet serves lunch from noon to about 4:00 PM. and has both hot and cold selections.

To summarize this review; if you're looking for a well designed, well run resort with above average amenities, food and services the RIU Palace Riviera Maya warrants your attention.

Stayed: February 2009
9  Thank highnoonPhiladelphia
Reviewed 7 February 2009

We have been reading up on the hotel for the last month and
there was a lot of negative comments. We just got back from the
Riu Palace and did not have any problems. The staff were great,
no theft, no hard pillow, no hard bed, our room was very clean
and did not smell at all. It was a lovely place to walk around,
beach fantastic. We rented a car from the hotel for the week
and drove around everywhere, thus not have to take the tours.
No trouble with police etc. Loved Fifth Avenue, great bars
and food. My only comment is the pool is small and no steps
into it. I saw a lot of people that could have used stairs or a
walk in to the pool. They only had ladders. Went to a lot of the
other Riu's for lunch etc. They are all lovely resorts. Hats off to all the staff at the Riu for working so hard to let everyone have
a great vacation. We will be back.
B & D, Toronto

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bobdonna
Reviewed 6 February 2009

The Riu Palace Mexico was an excellent resort where service was simply amazing. I found the grounds to be immaculate at all times, the rooms were big, clean and very quiet if you shut the interior door. Nightlife was a bit lame and stuffy so I found myself at the Tequila everynight after dinner but since it was a 2 min walk directly across the street, it was no problem at all.

Rooms - Rooms had a big bathroom with bathtub and shower, and then the toilet which could be separated by a sliding door. The actual living space was quite nice and big with 2 double beds pushed together and with nice mattress tops which made the beds very comfortable. The sofa was very comfortable and the LCD TV was very good with enough english channels for programs and movies for the downtime. The patio was big with a couple chairs and a rack to dry your clothes. The rooms also had a big electronic safe which was nice and easy.

Pools- The pools at the RPM lack for sure. There are lots of loungers around the pools to use, but the pools themselves are pretty weak and if they do a renovation I hope this is something they fix. For example if you play pool volleyball the area is uneven in depth and width. The swim up bar was big but almost never used. The pools at the Tequila were much better and where I went when I wanted a break from the beach.

Beach - The beach was excellent. By far the best beach in the playacar from where I walked north and south of the resort. Tons of loungers available at all times. I usually didn't hit the beach until after noon each day and had no problem finding loungers. The nice part of the beach is the huge area with palm trees, hammocks and the bar if you want more shade. Can't say enough about the quality of the beach at the RPM.

Food - Food was excellent. The buffets were very good with tons of options every night and I never got bored with the buffets through my 10 nights at the resort. I only at ate at one of the restaurants during my stay which was the Krystal and that was excellent. Room service had a limited menu but it was free, quick and good.

Nightlife - Ok well I was a 31 year old single guy so the nightlife experience at the RPM was quite different for me than it would be an older couple. They had live music in the courtyard before the nightly show which was pretty good. The shows were well done but a bit to uptight for my liking. I found the ones at the Tequila to be more light hearted and entertaining. After the show the resort cleared out fast and was a dead zone with a few people at the lobby bar but not a great scene. But like I said if you want more like I did, its a 2 min walk to the Tequila where they got 2 lobby bars, a 24 hour sports bar and the Disco from 11-2 am. Perfect mix for me. Party till I wanted there and then cross back to paradise and quiet.

All in all it was a great stay at the RPM. I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred dollars extra next time to stay there over the price of the Tequila, but if it was only a few hundred more, I would definitely take the RPM again.

** One extra note, during the stay they started the switchout from Corona to XX beer on tap and the bottles in the restaurants and rooms. This happened at all the RIU resorts I visited.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank TheRizzo41
Reviewed 29 January 2009

We were supposed to stay at Playacar but they were overbooked, so we got upgraded. The Palace is awesome. We had a blast. The only downside to the whole place is it isn't for singles. The entertainment I thought was geared to an older croud. It would be absolutly amazing for a honeymoon or a couple going to relax. The food was excellant, and the staff couldn't be any friendlier. Great people.

• Stayed: January 2008