“Amazing atmosphere and food!”
Review of Coco's Cabanas

Coco's Cabanas
Ranked #29 of 1,426 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: International
Description: Coco's Cabañas is located 10 minutes walking distance from the beach or 3 minutes by bike (free). It is a 3 star hotel, small and cozy retreat, along the Mexican Caribbean, Riviera Maya, 6 km from Playa del Carmen. It has only 6 private bungalows, each with private bath room,A/C,Ventilator,TV,Terrace and thatched palm roof. Two of the bungalows have Queen size beds, a Queen Boutique cottage with Queen bed, one with King bed and two Junior Suites with King bed, kitchenette, and futon to sleep an extra person. All bungalows have air conditioning, TV / DVD, full bath, closets and soothing ceiling fans. All bungalows have hot water and 110v electrical outlets. Other amenities include an international restaurant (including a wood fired Pizza oven ), bar, a beautiful pool, laundry, public shower, hammocks, tropical gardens and private parking. Cocos Cabañas is the perfect "love nest" for couples who want a cozy and romantic paradise.
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Where do I even begin? We stayed at Azul Fives next door and ended up eating lunch and dinner at CoCo's just about every day for the week. The food is only surpassed by the margaritas. I recommend 3! Seriously, everything on the menu was amazing. We had pizza to die for, stuffed fish that left you wanting more and guacamole that I'd literally have as my last meal! Silvia, the owner, was so friendly and genuine. We were all sad to say good bye to her and the rest of the staff at our last meal before heading home. We will be back for sure!

4  Thank JeffTFortWorth

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I found out about this place by using MapChick's Riviera Maya maps of the area. By map, the restaurant looked pretty close to where we were staying. We had a rental car for a couple of days so we decided to try it out. First off, I am not sure if we could have gotten there without a rental car. I guess a taxi could have found it and then maybe the restaurant could have called us a taxi to take us back but just know this is very remote - there are no taxis waiting around for you.

We got a little lost trying to find the place and missed a lot of the little signs. There ARE signs but they do not stand out very much and are small. When we finally found the place which seemed to be in a side alley of another property, there were no parking places out front so we continued past the hotel and found a lot to park in. As soon as we got out the 2 cars our party had, a man approached us and wanted us to pay him $50 per car if we wanted to be sure that the cars would be safe. I couldn't tell if he was being threatening or just saying he would watch after them. He said an old man owned the property where we were parking and sure enough, an old man came out too. My father offered them 50 pesos and they seemed fine with that so we went on our merry way to the restaurant although I will admit, I was a little uneasy as to whether or not the cars would be safe when we returned (they were absolutely fine).

Now to the good part. When we entered through the front gate, we arrived to the cutest lit up courtyard with a small pool to the left and hammocks to the right. We continued walking to the open-air restaurant which was full except for one small table. We had a party of 9 so the owner (I think was Sylvia) asked if we would mind if she set up something around the pool and we agreed. They made it nice and we had to use caution as not to fall into the pool when we got up to use the bathroom, etc. There were a lot of mosquitoes biting on us - I am not sure if they would have been as aggressive if we were in the actual seating area or not but this did not ruin our experience.

The menu had a lot of unique items on it. They have a lot of wood-fired pizzas with unique toppings but also a very full varied menu. I got the lasagna which was very good and a welcome change from all of the Mexican food I had been having. Our kids had a cheese pizza and they loved it. My husband had a Mexican Pizza which he was quite happy with. My dad, who loves fish dishes, claimed that his fish (which was some kind of stuffed fish that may have been a daily special) was the best he has ever had. My mom was happy with her Margharita Pizza. My brother raved about the lamb stew he got and his wife enjoyed her pizza (something with eggplant on it).

The service was very attentive and we all just loved the atmosphere. Our kids enjoyed the hammocks after dinner. It was a very special night and we were all so happy to have found the place! We will definitely return on another trip...

2  Thank mickeyfanz
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband, family and I are regular customers at Coco's each time we visit Playa. Owners Helmet and Sylvia always welcomes you with a huge smile, hug and kiss. The food is amazing, the atmosphere is wonderful. My whole family would recommend you try the pizza,

1  Thank 403Foodie303
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Have you ever experienced the Caribbean Fiesta Seafood Platter at Cocos Cabanas? Helmut Roth and his lovely wife, Silvia own this quaint boutique hotel and restaurant, tucked away just a 100 yards off the beach about 200 yards north of the Azul Fives Resort. The platter has baked whole fish, grilled shrimp, fried fish and fried shrimp, grilled lobster and all the extras! It can be prepared for two people or up to as many as ten people. You will need reservations and a special request in advance but you will not be disappointed. The ambiance of the restaurant is wonderful in it's natural setting of the jungle of the Yucatan, under the palapa roof and beautiful landscaping. This is a truly a cannot miss opportunity.

1  Thank jerrybcameron
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Love this little gem well worth looking for, as it is off the beaten path just off the beach about a 10 minute cab ride north from downtown Playa . Sylvia and Helmut make you feel like family and get to know you on the first visit. The Spinach salad and the Stone oven pizza are one of many of our favorites. You must go just to see how quaint it is. It is a restaurant and small cabana's super cute. Love it we always make a point of going there every time we are in Playa

1  Thank canadiantraveler028