“Another great stay at Aventura Mexicana”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana
Ranked #23 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Another great stay at Aventura Mexicana”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I love this place! Second stay here and will definitely return. The workers are friendly, the food is great, and the hotel is very quaint. Steps away from all of the action as well. Highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Juliebenmark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 October 2011

This is a cute hotel and a hidden gem not obvious from the street. We stayed in room 1 (I think), the first room on the ground floor next to the restaurant and the "adults only" pool. There was no noise from either, and it was quiet at night as well. I liked the location of being steps from the pool and breakfast. After a long day doing fun stuff all over the coast, it was nice to come back to the two-for-one happy hour and hang with other hotel guests in the pool and relax before evening plans. The complimentary included breakfast was good. Coffee, juice and Mexican pastries, toast, jam, honey, etc. We usually also ordered 1 order of tocino (bacon!) for around 30 pesos to munch on with toast. Yum! A great and easy way to start our day before heading out for excursions. The location is great, walking distance to all, and especially lovely that the convenience store was on 10th avenue only another block up. The mini fridge was great, the room was clean, the bed comfy, the sheets clean, and the safe was convenient and you can self program it. All in all, a lovely and simple boutique hotel. The property is definitely safe at night too — there is a security guard and the open-air entrance is gated off and locked until morning. The bathroom area in our room is only half-separated from the room, with a soft-loft type of wall. Kind-of a half wall thing, partitioning off that area. So, if you have any stomach issues or want some privacy with your toilet functions, be aware of this for the standard room. During low season you can save a ton on booking here in combo with your airfare on travel engine sites.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank skeletonbreath
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I ve stayed at Aventura Mexicana for a week.
I highly recommend this hotel for the traveler that is thinking on: good prize, good location and good service.
The staff is great and very helpful. The service was ok for the prize. The location was great: close to the beach and close to the main st.
While I was there the hotel had a deal with a beach club which was great because they also had good quality service and the restaurant had convenient prizes as well.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank prychu
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 18 October 2011

A very cosy hotel close to the 5th avenue and to the beach. VERY friendly staff. Good service. I recomend the hotel to couples, friends and the ones traveling solo.
If I would complain of anything it would the cleaning of the room, it could have been better.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Emma C
york pa
Reviewed 17 October 2011

as you walk down calle 24 towards 5th avenue you see the name above a small entrance and it appears like a small little place in the middle of the block....We booked the aventura mexicana after reading trip advisor reviews with the intention of staying in a nice clean little inexpensive place for a couple of days so we could be centrally located near playa del carmen to go scuba diving, see xcaret, and do some shopping as well as give great start to our honeymoon before heading to excellence riviera maya for our wedding....We also used the all inclusive option offered only by booking directly with the hotel thinking we would only be eating breakfast and an occasional drink....well, to say we were pleasantly suprised would be an gross understatement....we booked the honeymoon suite, room 1401, which opened up to the adult pool and bistro, and it was as comfortable a room as anyone could want, with a price that couldnt be beat....The food was ordered right off a menu and cooked to perfection and after tasting it we decided to eat most of our meals here....there wasnt one thing on the menu that either my wife or i had that wasnt fantastic.....And the chef, Marco, took great pride in his preparation....Aldo, the waiter/bartender/information exec was right on top of everyting all the time....The grounds which you would never know were there from the street, were clean, comfortable, and groomed....the honeymoon suite was large and looked exactly like the pictures on the website......we only used the beach club once but it was nice althought it is a couple of blocks from the hotel.....check in and out was fast......this is not a large mega hotel, but neither is the price....it IS a very nice, clean, great food ,comfortable room,centrally located place to stay in pdc and a place i myself would stay again, without a doubt.......

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dougthebarber
Spruce Grove, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2011

My husband and I stayed in this little hotel from Oct. 08 - 14, 2011 and loved it. Our room was on the main floor with large patio doors opening to view the pool area. Just outside our door were lounge chairs, table and chairs and the adult pool. Very nice set up. The family pool is in a separate area. The hotel WIFI reached into our room. The king sized bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. The free continental breakfast came in handy to get us started and the food that we ordered in the restaurant was good. ..... The location is just a few steps from 5th ave and a short walk to the beach. Grab your beach towels and ticket and head for " Cool " on 28 where you will have access to lounge chairs and umbrella on the beach............ My husband has mobility issues and can not walk very far so we brought his wheelchair along. With the exception of a few low steps here and there the hotel is wheelchair accessible. The rooms can be reached via the lobby or the bistro. There is an iron gate beside the bistro which I am sure can be opened for wheelchair access and rooms are close by. Best to check with the hotel staff to make sure that this is possible. We did not use the wheelchair in the hotel just moved it up or down the low steps to park it in our room. The town of Playa del Carmen seems to be very accessible. We were able to push our large wheelchair along 5th ave and right to the beach. On our many taxi trips we noticed that almost all sidewalks are wheelchair accessible. Our next trip to mexico will be to Playa del Carmen again and we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sprucegrovers
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed here the last week of Sept 2011. I chose the hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews. My son and I stayed here 7 nights and then spent 3 nights at an all-inclusive for a wedding. The hotel is on a quiet street (24) just west of 5th Ave (restaurant entrance off 22). It's the section of 5th Ave that I find less tacky then the most southern end. The lobby is open and it leads to the family pool, yoga, pavilion, and a fountain. We stayed on this side. You pass through an open hallway to the adults only side and the restaurant. It's very lush and pretty. I could never get the wifi in the restaurant nor lobby to work on my ipad nor iphone, but my brother could on his laptop. (I got wireless at the other hotel and at many restaurants to pick up on my devices so I'm not sure what the deal there was). But they have a pc to use downstairs, so that worked out ok. For the most part, we liked the hotel. We used the passes to club kool, but it sounds like from other reviewers we had a choice of another club but I was never told of it. Club Kool has pounding techno and the free passes are for the 2nd class loungers if it matters to you. We didn't care as the passes were free. I just would have preferred a club without pounding music or at least a warning that it has techno blaring over the waves. They give you cards for breakfast and towels. You must turn in the cards at check out or you will be charged an assortment of fees. We decided to use them minimally. The rooms were quite spacious and they have a basket of toiletries in the bathroom and we always had a towel animal on our bad. The toiletries are organic and honey-based. I liked the aloe, but the shampoo and conditioner didn't really work (conditioner was very runny) so bring your own. We had a fridge which was great. We didn't really have a proper balcony, but could at least open the doors and step out. We found it amusing that they bother to have a family/ adults only side of the hotel when you can smoke all around the family pool and off these balconies. Multiple times I had to pull my son from the pool because guests would decide to sit by the pool and smoke or smoke on their balconies. How is the family side family-friendly? Luckily we didn't spend a lot of time at the hotel. I had great instances of customer service at the hotel: such as when the guest services manager helped us get a van and driver when our rental car delivery failed to happen to poor the next morning when the front desk kid (late teens/ early 20s) spent time on his cell phone and put off calling my aunt's hotel to warn her not to wait outside for us because the van secured was running over an hour late. When I asked for help again, he was quite sarcastic and told me he was making sure our price was right and seeing who we needed to pay. That had had been worked out the night before and he was not doing any of those things by playing on his phone. On my first night there I asked how to get to Rio Secreto and could I take a collectivo as I had heard you could. I was told it was too hard and I should just take a taxi. So I tried again the next morning before we left and I was told by another person it was too hard for me, there was not a stop, and then told they would call me a taxi. I declined and they looked at me like I was nuts. I told them I would hail one off the street after we walked around. In the end, I felt lied to. There was indeed a collectivo stop. I was pretty mad about this-I had indeed hailed a taxi and when we arrived I saw the stop. I found out from Rio and Secreto where the collectivos leave from in PDC. The hotel didn't even volunteer that information. So I did the collectivos the hard way: I took one coming back. I got across the street off the highway where there is no stop and flagged one down. But getting there in a collectivo would have been easy and the difference of 15 pesos a person or 130 pesos for a taxi. I started to think the hotel gets a kickback. They were just as unhelpful about Xcaret and after the first day I didn't trust their advice. I think they stared at me, decided the American was helpless or wouldn't like the local options, and didn't offer up any help. What I did like about this hotel is that it was not full of Americans--there was a mix of Americans, Mexicans, and Europeans. The guests I found to be friendly. The breakfast at first I liked the first morning. They offer pan dulces, toast, coffee, juices, and a selection of hot tea. However upon observation, we watched them just add water to the coffee from the day before and the breads became stale over the week (they were buying too much and keeping it until it was gone instead of getting fresh bread). The breakfast wasn't why I was there so I just got over it. My parents who had a neighboring room ordered breakfast there off the menu and they had a less than satisfying experience too. We purposely were staying at a moderate hotel and eating restaurants off 5th Ave and where locals eat. I've spent a lot of time time in Mexico including studying at a Mexican University on the west coast of Mexico. And I read wonderful reviews of the hotel here, but I didn't get it. The hotel is very nice, but the people at the front desk really seemed irritated and flat out lied to me about how to get to Rio Secreto. Since they sell tours, I think they possibly were mad we didn't book through them? The final issue was when my brother checked out for us. I was out SCUBA diving. They added to our room a charge for my parents (who had their own room separate from myself, my brother, and my son) in another room for transport between the airport and the hotel, except that my parents' transportation was already included in the cost of their room. My brother was the only addition for transportation. When I booked both rooms in February, I included the transportation costs to the room for my parents in theirs and my son and I in ours. I paid 50% deposits for both rooms. And the other 50% were charged on arrival. So the transportation for my parents should never have been charged to our room as it was already included in the original booking for their room. My brother didn't know this and he offered up his credit card and unfortunately he paid. I think this is a good hotel option as it has a good location and it is safe, however it really needs to look at their service/ attitude approach. And probably food safety.

Room Tip: The adult side have bathrooms that only have walls and no doors, but the family side might have kids...