“Nice but NOT a 4 star!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Edmonton, Canada
“Nice but NOT a 4 star!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Stayed for 9 nights in early January 2012. Its a typical small hotel you'd find in the heart of Playa and while quaint, it is not worth the $125 night we paid; certainly not by Canadian/American standards. I agree that the grounds were immaculate and the cleaning staff did a great job of the rooms every day. The front desk staff was helpful when req'd. The pools are tiny and better suited for children. We had a deluxe king room. The bed with its apparent "new" pillow tops were still quite firm and uncomfortable. The bathroom was not a private room but separated by a pony wall. Get used to flushing 2-3 times; the toilets never cleared on 1st flush. Hot water was sometimes only warm water. The free continental breakfasts were paltry but there if you want it. Try Celine's french bakery on 5th; amazing for Playa! The access to Kool Beach Club & free chairs meant you were relegated to the inferior lounge chairs at the back of the club. The comfortable loungers used up front cost 70 pesos/day but it is a nice club with a decent restaurant, friendly staff and acceptable washrooms (use the restaurant's washroom - much cleaner). The beach is not 50 meters away- its more like 3 blocks away. Be careful of the ironing board/irons offered; poor quality. Our iron leaked and was leaving sticky residue on our clothes. Generally a quiet hotel unless the hotel across the street has its roof top disco going late into the night but even with that it wasn't so bad. No comment on it's bistro; did not eat there. There wasn't much storage space in the room. Luggage had to remain on the floor. There was a small built in closet with a few hangers. The built in counter was mostly used up by the flat screen TV. Seeing as most visitors speak english, a better attempt at english programming would be welcomed. I don't go to Playa to watch TV but its nice to have while laying in bed or when we stayed indoors whilst it rained all day. The small fridge was handy but the coffee machine was scary looking; we didn't use it. There are great cafes all over the strip. Overall it was decent but I have stayed in less expensive places in Playa with the same experience.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor. We did notice that rooms on the 1st floor had a different set up but that...
1 Thank Lino I
rsmearing, General Manager at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. I am glad you found our hotel grounds to be immaculate and rooms very clean! We apologize that you found our beds uncomfortable. We receive a variety of different comments regarding our mattresses which poses a challenge as some guests prefer firm mattresses while others prefer soft.

The adult side of our hotel has a few different types of rooms which all use to have the “pony wall” for the bathroom. After receiving several comments from our guests about this we have enclosed some of the bathrooms to allow for more privacy. If you book with us and prefer an enclosed bathroom please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate the request.
During your stay, one of our two boilers on the adult side broke down so we used this as an opportunity to improve our system which included the repair of the second boiler and the installation of a new third boiler as well as the addition of a new and stronger pump to increase the water pressure. We're happy to announce that these improvements have been completed and everything is running great!

Thanks for the feedback on our irons/iron boards. I will be sure to take another look at them and replace any that seem to be in need of repair. Please contact me directly if any of your clothes were damaged.

Kool is a great beach club and many of our guests love the free access included with every reservation but we have also added access to another beach club called Indigo. It is a smaller and quieter location and all the beach chairs are created equal:)

Again we apologize that we did not meet all of your expectations but thanks again for your feedback as it allows us to really fine tune our hotel product and service for our future guests!

Best regards,

Rob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Hebrew first
Jerusalem, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We are used to choose our hotels based on tripadvisor reviews and it's a first time, our own experience is completely different.

I'll start with a good side: the hotel looks great and the location is good.
As for the service - definitely not the strong point of this hotel.
1) we didn't have a hot water during our entire stay (maintenance guy promised it will be fixed. it wasn't)
2) after the check-out, I've told the reception guy that we didn't have hot water during our stay. I expected to hear "sorry" but didn't get no reaction at all. I guess this is the main reason I'm writing this review. For me, the bad service is worst then absence of the hot water.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank lior n
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Our return visit to Playa, after a week in Cozumel. We booked a deluxe King and it was like having an apartment. Helpful front desk service, cleanliness, and beautiful grounds continue to make this our favorite Playa choice. Going down to Tulum beach to spend the night they were willing to store our travel bags. Being a block away from Avienda 5 makes this an excellant and quiet location. Many very good restaurants are in easy walking distance. If driving, its easy access to the Federal highway. Its a quick cab ride from here to the COZ ferry, or to the ADO bus station. A great place to stay in Playa.

1 Thank JKoz
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

We stayed here 3 nights in December 2011 and had a wonderful experience. We booked over the internet in short notice and got a good price. ( 125.00 a night plus tax ) Check in was flawless. our room was spotless, overlooking the main pool, had a small fridge a safe and really neat shower area that was semi open to the room but still provided privacy. The beds were comfy and the air conditioning was good. Had a terrific 3 nights sleep.

The 2 pools in this small hotel were fabulous!! Didn't spend alot of time during the day at them but the time we did was good as the sun was shinning in and it was abit more sheltered if it was a windy day.

The resuraunt is too expensive in my opinion as well as the drinks. They do have 2 for 1 at happy hour but we were not there at that time. We did have 1 breakfast there and it was good authentic mexican but way to expensive ( 40.00 ) and i don't even think i had a coctail. But good service and good food.

To me this resort would be an excellent base to stay at and enjoy Playa del carmen and the area if you were on a budget. The location was perfect just off 5th ave. shopping, dinning, the beach. You can always find more price accomadinting places to eat if you are on a budget. I noticed that they were making alot of arrangements for day trip for guests and so on. Thats a plus and they were very helpful at the front desk regarding things to do and places to see. So i would defiantly tell people who want a good location, nice facilities, quiet and resonable priced to stay here.

One thing i didn't like was i couldn't buy my own liquer and bring it to the pool if i choose to hang out at the resort for the day. They had signs that totally discouraged that. There drinks were not cheap and they were not worth what they were charging. Otherwise the price was great and the location was perfect, rooms where very nice :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 4_the_record
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights at the end of our holiday. Grounds were kept immaculate. Seemed to be someone somewhere working on them all day. Rooms were also kept spotless. Jackhammer was also going on when we were there but windows are double-glazed so didn't really affect us and we're usually up about 0730.

Kool beach club fine as well. The free sunbeds you get are actually the cheaper, plastic sunbeds and we paid for our own a couple of days as the others were much more comfortable.

Breakfast was a bit bland. Couple of pastries each and some toast and fruit juice from a carton which is fairly unusual with all the fresh fruit around. Did pay for breakfast one morning which was lovely.

Staff were all friendly and I can't quite put my finger on it but it was as if they were a bit unmotivated and didn't really enjoy working there. Sorry if that sounds a bit vague but we work in the hotel industry and that's just how it came across. Not unfriendly but not quite full of enthusiasm for their job than we have experienced in other hotels during this trip.

Have also eaten in the Mayan Bistro which is attached to the hotel. Not this year but last year, while we stayed at a hotel nearby. Good service and good food. Would recommend people give it a try.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
rsmearing, General Manager at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for your review of your stay at our hotel, Aventura Mexicana. As a Star contributor on TripAdvisor, it is obvious that you take sharing your traveling experiences seriously and to hear you enjoyed your stay with us is a valued compliment!

I apologize if your perception was otherwise, but please let me reassure you and future travelers that the majority of our team has been with the hotel for several years and treat the hotel as if it were their own. They enjoy and take great pride in their work and servicing our guests. The winter holiday and year end, however, are the busiest time of the year for Playa and in all honesty really puts our team to the test. As you stated the staff is friendly, grounds are immaculate, and rooms are spotless, so we will be sure to keep our service focus during this time to ensure everyone's experience is similar to the hundreds of great ones described throughout Tripadvisor.

We look forward to your return visit!

Best regards,

Rob
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Let me first say that the hotel itself is very nice, immaculately clean and grounds are stunning, especially at night. The location couldn't be better. There is a nice gym across the street and you get a discount if you are staying at the hotel. Beach club is two blocks and it is free for hotel guests. Food on all-inclusive plan is really great. A chef prepares the dishes individually and he really knows what he is doing. It is a bargain for 400 pesos per day (about $30 USD). You can't feed yourself and have drinks, even wine and liquor, in the town for that amount of money. No way! so do get the meal plan unless you are a serious foodie who wants to sample around town, which is understandable. The staff are so cordial and welcoming. I cannot speak highly enough of them, really a pleasure. Only one thing strikes me as a negative right now, and it is temporary, is that they are building a gym across the street and there is a jackhammer running from 9-5. This is not the hotel's fault (I didn't deduct points for it here) but I found it disturbing as I do like to sleep past 9 when I stay out late and this is impossible as the construction is literally outside the back of my room. Sleep is impossible even with earplugs. I hate to have to say that here and maybe it will stop tomorrow. I mentioned it to hotel staff just to ask how long it would be going on. They said thank you for understanding and that the construction company actually planned to start at 6 AM until the hotel objected. Are they crazy?? there are 10 hotels on the block!! Probably I should complain to the construction workers themselves, but I can't imagine this would make a difference. But if this stops I assure you'll have a wonderful stay. Really you will, and I'm picky about hotels. This is a really great one!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Car0linian
Santa Cruz, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

We stayed at Hotel Aventura Mexicana for a trip to Playa to celebrate my 40th birthday. We were a group of nine which isn't an easy number to travel with but from the very start of booking the rooms the folks here were incredibly helpful and friendly. They put up with multiple e-mails from me before the trip and answered all my questions promptly and thoroughly. When we arrived they had a hand written birthday wish for me which included a lovely dessert from their amazing restaurant. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff are friendly and helpful. We chose to take advantage of the all inclusive deal for meals and drinks and we weren't disappointed. Our group are all from the Northern California Bay Area and so we have a high expectation for food and we raved about the restaurant the entire time. In fact, I think we only ate outside of the hotel twice. One of the best parts of our stay was the help that we got from the guest services manager- he listened to all the activities we hoped to do on the trip and then he coordinated all our day trips. We experienced some really amazing stuff thanks to him! We aren't an easy group of people, most of us have travel a lot and have high expectations, wanting to have some luxury as well as an authentic experience, and we got both! No better place to stay, I will be back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends