“what a gem!”

Ranked #24 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Hampton Bays, New York
“what a gem!”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Trip advisor helped me choose this hotel for my 1st trip to Playa Del Carmen. Everything I read made me think this was a hotel for me--and I was right!! I was looking for a small hotel with a restaurant near 5th Ave and this one was a perfect fit. The hotel is very pretty, very casual and a few steps away from 5th Ave. My room was comfortable and in spite of what others said about the beds being too hard,I was happy with my bed. The restaurant ,Mayan Bistro, is fantastic. The meals were wonderful and very generous portions. Everything was made fresh and tasted as delicious as it looked. The staff is one of the many reasons I would not only recommend this hotel but it's why I'll be going back. The entire staff is attentive,friendly and very likable. This trip is the 1st I've taken alone and would encourage other women to try Hotel Aventura Mexicana without reservation. Thank you to Andy,Rob and the staff for making my trip perfect!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank mollyd2495

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Hebrew first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This quiet, oaisis in the storm that is Playa Del Carmen is the place to stay. From the front desk to the restaurant, to your room, there is a wonderful staff to ensure you have what you need and want. It is a 2 minute walk to 5th Avenue and also a short walk to restaurants, bars and the beach. Even the bank if you need it. Can't say enough about this hotel. The surroundings are lush and tropical, it is well taken care of by a friendly staff. You will not go wrong by staying here. I stayed 6 nights and was sorry to leave.

Room Tip: They have an adult and a family section, just let them know where you want to stay and if you have a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susan S
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I this was my 5th stay in less than two years and every time is better than the last. So this time I am here with my 70 year old parents who's last visit was to the "all inclusive". My dad said he can't believe something so beautiful existed. In his words, charming, amazing grounds, authentic and clean. Food is delicious and staff that's as welcoming as family and great location.
So there you have it. I love this place, the friends I've brought love this place, my 70 year old parents love this place. It's just a special little place that you want to keep for yourself but have to tell everyone.

Room Tip: I've stayed on all three floors and every room has been great.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Maggie D
Coppell, Texas, Usa
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location - right off of 5th and close to lots of restaurants and shops. The room was average for Mexico; we ate breakfast at the hotel which was good. Continental breakfast is included but the have a good menu selection as well. The beds are comfortable - they had a pillow top mattress. Only complaints were the water pressure and heat. The shower was Luke warm at best with low water pressure and we had to flush the toilet multiple times.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Kristy B
rsmearing, General Manager at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hola Kristy,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience. I apologize that the water pressure and temp were not up to our normal standard. We did have a challenge with some clogged boiler lines that took us a few days to resolve. The system is back in order and operating properly.

All the best to you and your family and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Playa.

Rob
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Wonderful relaxing stay at this charming little hotel. If you looking more for the one to one homely feeling then this is the place to stay. Just an arms throw away from the main 5th Avenue and about 15mins walk to the beach and for the party animals about 10 min walk from 12th Avenue. Found it to be very centrally located without being bombard with the sounds of the buzzing little city. The beds however I could do with some renovation, but in generally the rooms clean and found them very spacious and comfortable. Air conditioning is a must in Mexico and always had a pleasant sleep only with the use of one.. otherwise unbearable! House cleaning comes every 2 days fresh sheets and towels, and there was always an abundance of hot water. Point don't bath too late at night i.e. after 12 found that water kinda runs out ! but not a problem...

The area within the hotel is very well designed and I found it extremely beautiful and relaxing.. if you look to do your morning work out in a swimming pool, you would be disappointed since these are pools (3 of them) just for cooling off... as we say a dip in the pool while sipping on your Mojito..

Its a good little place to retreat and relax without being totally cut off from the rest of the mayhem, its all up to you how you wish to play each day...

Finally I would go back there, the staff all very polite and helpful.. for the fit bunnies .. a gym right opposite and the juice bar next door a must!
Hotel good for all, couples, family friends and Solo!

Room Tip: opposite the pool on the ground floor found it convenient..
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We have stayed at Hotel Aventura Mexicana two times in the last couple of years, always happy to have a calm, private place in the middle of the busy town of Playa del Carmen. The continental breakfast is included and you can sit outside on the patio and enjoy the beautiful bougainvillea and palm trees while sipping your morning coffee or tea. Free use of the computer Two small swimming pols for cooling off. A short walk to the public beach. And walk to all the town's attractions and restaurants.

Room Tip: There are only three floors. The third floor has access to a bigger pilapa (covered patio).
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Aventura sits half a block from the mayhem that is 5th avenue but it's a world apart. Don't get me wrong, I love the hustle and bustle but it's also nice to have a retreat to relax.

That's exactly what this hotel is. From the moment you check in you sense this place really cares (Pepe and Antonio (?) are exceptional) and simply can't do enough for you. We had room 402 which is highly recommended as it has it's own private terrace and is like your own little villa on the edge of 5th.

We just went for the included continental breakfast which was more than enough. They do do a good range of cooked stuff but, like the optional all inclusive thing, didn't seem to make sense to us PDC has some amazing restaurants so why limit yourself to the one no matter how well it is rated.

The weather was quite rainy whilst we were here so we didn't get much chance to use the pools but they looked good. You can also use beach clubs either discounted or one free. We did the free one and it was great and not hassled about food / drinks as we thought we may be. PDC isn't really our ideal place as it is a bit full on (we'd just come from the paradise that is isle Mujeres!!) but Aventura made our stay a fabulous one.

Room Tip: 402 may cost a little more but it is like a little cottage and affords great privacy.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple