“An adventure in Playa del Carmen”
Review of Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana
Ranked #22 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Simcoe, Canada
“An adventure in Playa del Carmen”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We decided to skip the all inclusive this year and booked the Aventura Mexicana for 8 days solely on the reviews we read. This truly was a new adventure for us and we were NOT disappointed. This hotel is a little gem located downtown half a block from 5th and a couple of blocks from the beach. The courtyard area is beautiful and everyone there is friendly and helpful. The rooms are pretty basic but very clean and yes the bathroom takes a little getting used to but wasn't that bad. We were on the 3rd floor. It was ok for us but anyone having issues with a lot of stairs should definitely ask for a bottom floor room. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and had one meal at the Mayan Bistro but also chose to eat out at some of the many excellent restaurants in the area. The beach in Playa del Carmen is amazing - white sand and clear blue water. You can actually walk for miles.
We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a great Playa experience.

1 Thank Koncir3
rsmearing, General Manager at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Hola Koncir3,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed you Adventure in Playa del Carmen and our hotel. I agree that Playa is best experienced from a centrally located boutique hotel, especially the Aventura Mexicana :), as opposed to the large All Inclusive hotels located outside of town. Playa is such a pedestrian friendly beach town that walking out of the hotel and on to the famous 5th avenue or the white sandy beach is what it’s all about!

I appreciate you reminding future travelers to let us know of their requests and we will do our best to honor them, such as a first floor room to avoid the stairs or a room with an enclosed bathroom. We are a boutique hotel with 49 rooms, all with different locations and character, which helps us to meet a lot of our guest needs and requests.

I wish you amazing memories of your adventure and hope you return to create some more!

Rob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Hebrew first
Rybnik, Poland
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have just come back to cold Poland. I was my (and my family) first visit in Mexico, and I am sure not the last. The hotel was super. Perfect located, very quiet and with intimate atmosphere. Front desk people vey very friendly and helpfull. Very tasty cusine in Mayan BIstro and always happy bartender. Room always clean and smelling very fresh. Even the "dry" pool was not a problem because ocean was so warm that we spent there a lot of time. A am sure that if I have chance to come back I will visit Aventura Mexicana. I can trully recomend that hotel a very very good place for spending nice vacation in Playa Del Carmen.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Przemysław M
Thank you so much Przemyslaw M for sharing your experience at our hotel and restaurant with future travelers! We are happy to know that you and your family had a nice vacation with us. I also would like to thank you for your understanding of the “Dry pool” during your stay. It is necessary to perform annual maintenance on it and I am glad you agreed that it looks amazing and very inviting! We appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you and your family again next year.
All the best to you!
Cinque Terre, Italy
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I am a stalker before I book hotels, and the fact that I missed that the bathrooms in some rooms don't have full walls really ruined our experience. We booked a suite on the adult side, which was very basic looking (not like some if the pictures I saw online or some of the first floor rooms on the family side I walked by...we had no curtains, a stained shower curtain, etc) but the bathroom was really a let down. After telling the front desk and after trying desperately to switch rooms (none were free) it was never mentioned to me again by the staff, nor was I asked about my stay. It's a cute place with friendly staff and beautiful grounds, but they really should let you know about an open bathroom. It really put a damper on a romantic trip, and knowing that, I wouldn't have stayed here. Other rooms with bathrooms on the newer side looked much nicer. Also, the locks on the doors are ridiculously flimsy. You feel safe, but it's definitely a little off putting.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cm28
rsmearing, Manager at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Hello CM28,

We appreciate your comments on our friendly staff and beautiful grounds. We understand that some people do not like the more modern 3/4 wall design featured only in the bathrooms of our Jr Suites & Deluxe Kings with View & Honeymoon Suites. We do post this information on our website ... and on our travel agent partners ... and in our room photographs ... and on our 360 degree photo tours of this room type. We are sorry that you missed this detail.

All of our Deluxe Double with a view rooms (on the more traditional family side of the hotel) have fully enclosed bathrooms. We also have some Jr Suites and Deluxe Kings with a View that have fully enclosed bathrooms. We are always able to accommodate an advance request for this feature. If we had not been sold out during part of your stay, we would have quickly moved you to another room that had this bathroom feature that you required.

We hope on your next visit, we have an opportunity to show you our other rooms types so you can enjoy our friendly staff and beautiful grounds again!
Chicago
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Just returned from a six-night stay at Aventura Mexicana. Enjoyed our stay. The location is excellent, half a block from a nice stretch of 5th Avenue, north of Constituyentes, which is just a little more laid-back but still moments from the action. Count on a ten-minute walk to the beach.

We stayed, per our request because we wanted in-room internet access, in a first-floor superior king room adjacent to the hotel restaurant, The Mayan Bistro. The room was basic, I think a prior review mentioned that a more comfortable chair or two in the room would be appreciated and I concur, and not a huge fan of the open bathroom concept, but certainly as advertised with all the amenities in working order (if a little difficult to figure out, more instruction would be helpful.) The mattress is on the hard side, but that's what we like so we slept very well.

The hotel grounds are very nice as shown in the pictures on the website and on Trip Advisor. The pool is not heated so I didn't see many people in there during our stay, I took a dip and although I'm not particularly sensitive to cold, it was cold! We really enjoyed the generous complimentary breakfast every morning and had a couple tasty meals and some very good cocktails at The Mayan Bistro during our stay.

What really makes this hotel stand apart, and the reviews reinforce this opinion I think, is the people who run and work the hotel. I always read reviews of hotels and resorts that go on and on listing the staff's names and wonder about that because we really never come home remembering anyone in particular. Well at Aventura Mexicana, I'd say it's close to impossible not to get to know the staff, so Rob, Christopher, Nicholas, Jorge, Dora, Cristina, Olivia :) and everyone else who we interacted with, thanks for your efforts and please know that it is your effort and passion that make this such a highly rated hotel.

Room Tip: If you're particularly sensitive to traffic noise, stay away from the rooms that back up to 10th...
3 Thank Romo2004
Partaloa, Spain
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We (2 couples), stayed after New Year, and had booked 7 months in advance 2x double-double rooms, These were unfortunately unavailable on arrival. The GM however sorted it out, and gave a discount for the 1st night´s inconvenience of staying in a smaller room, which was acceptable. The only downside for us during the remaining period was the noise of late-night revellers (during the music festival) arriving back in the small hours. The hotel offers everything for a nice relaxing stay. The location is perfect, being a few metres from 5th Avenue, and a few blocks from the beach. Breakfast in the Mayan Bistro could not offer proper coffee (or cappuccino). But juice (choice of 3 flavours) toast, yoghurt, fruits, and home-made breadcakes were adequate, unlike the staff in the morning. Traveller photos of this nice hotel indicate the style and quality very well. Maids did a good job, and the variety of towel displays were an added touch. Our thanks to Louis for all his help in sorting things out. A popular hotel in a great location. Can be noisy.

Room Tip: Worth considering a room overlooking the adult pool.
Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
rsmearing, General Manager at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Hola Stephen T,

I am glad you have all returned home safely from your long trip!
It is always a challenge for us and our guests that were looking for a quiet beach town vacation to arrive during the annual BPM music festival which runs the first Friday of the year for 10 days. It is a great event for the town and those that come to attend it or watch it from the sidelines tend to have a great time!

For future travelers, if you are looking for a specific experience please do not hesitate to write us. We are happy to direct you to a time in Playa that may best suit your needs. There are slow periods that allow our guests to take advantage of great deals on stays while enjoying a less occupied Playa. There are also festivals, events and weather that can ad to your Mexican
Adventure!

Best regards,

Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This hotel is located perfectly just a block off 5th avenue. Though close to the action it is quiet and peaceful on the property. There are two beautiful pools and a restaurant on premises. Our junior suite was absolutely wonderful. Great bed and unique shower. Flat-screen tv and lots of channels, even a few in english.

Free wi-fi is available but but getting a signal inside your room is hit and miss. My wife got a signal on her Motorola phone but I couldn't on my google nexus 5. Outside the room just a step or two and the signal is fine.

One caveat is the bar/restaurant on the corner sometimes has loud music at night. Ask for a room away from "Chicagobeef".

Room Tip: Continental breakfast is included and its pretty good.
2 Thank Rick M
Hey there Rick M,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your Mexican Adventure with us and we were able to have you feel as if you did not want to leave!

You make some good points for future travelers…we advertise that we offer free Wi-Fi in our public areas (Lobby, Pool Areas and the Mayan Bistro restaurant and garden) but the fact is that most of our rooms get a workable signal. Since it is currently not a great signal in every part of every room we feel it would be misleading to say we have it in all rooms. Good news is we are currently looking to expand our complimentary internet services.

The restaurant next door is a new neighbor of ours and they have had a couple of promotions (live bands) to drum up business. It is in our best interest to address any noise issues our guests may have so when staying at our hotel please be sure to bring any concerns to our attention. There are noise restrictions for our zone and by addressing these concerns we can prevent future occurrences.

We wish you and your loved ones the best and look forward to seeing you again!

UK
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Just got back from a week in Mexico, 4 nights of which were spent at this lovely boutique hotel, a real hidden gem in the heart of Playa del Carmen. The rooms are beautiful (personally I don’t see an issue with the lack of doors on the bathrooms but we’re told that there are some rooms with bathroom doors so if that’s a real turn off for you then just go for a room with a door!) and the grounds are well maintained and very pretty. Its location just off of 5th makes it ideal for those wanting to be close to the action but not necessarily wanting to be kept awake by it all night long. We’d prearranged a number of tours so weren’t around that much during the day but did take a walk to the beach on our one ‘rest’ day and I don’t think it was more than a 10 minute walk. Didn’t make use of the beach clubs available to hotel guests though so have no idea where they were in relation to the hotel. The restaurant food is really good, they make great cocktails and serve a very nice red wine (unfortunately I cannot currently remember what it was but that’s probably just an indication that I consumed too much of it!). We weren’t holidaying with children but saw several families in the hotel and they all seemed to be having a good time – from this I would guess the hotel is child friendly and should we return we’d happily take our daughter along for the trip.

We had a minor issue while at the hotel, the details of which are irrelevant but what I would like to comment on is the hotel manager Rob and restaurant manager Christopher’s response. These guys were fantastic and went well beyond what was necessary to make sure that it didn’t mar our stay in any way. I am overwhelmed at how good they were about everything and cannot say enough nice things about them both! Special thanks too to Christopher for bringing us pizza on the night we left it far too late to eat in the restaurant (I’m blaming that on the incredibly good red wine!)

Don’t stay here if you’re idea of a holiday is a huge all inclusive which takes away the need to ever leave the hotel grounds, but if your idea of a vacation is an opportunity to actually see the country you’re visiting, experience the local culture and be a name rather than a number then absolutely do stay here, they’ll take good care of you.

Thanks again Rob, I’m sure we’ll be seeing you again in the future.

Carolyn & Noel

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Reive
rsmearing, General Manager at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Hola Revie,

Thank you so much for your thorough review of your experience with us! It was great to meet with you and Noel and to learn of the interesting life you both lead. You sure are a wealth of knowledge and can be my Trivial Pursuit partner anytime!!

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention during your stay. I feel through communication we can have the opportunity to show our guests that we truly care of their vacation experience in Playa and at our hotel. Guests like you help us to learn and grow and it’s up to us to create an environment that shows appreciation for and welcomes guest feedback.

All the best to you and Noel and we hope to have you bring your daughter along when she is ready for the long trip.