“Quiet and charming”
Review of Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana
Ranked #25 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I just got back from my one week stay here with my sisters. I thought I would let everyone know how it went. It is very beautiful inside. It felt like home. It is very quiet and you have tons of privacy. There are two pools, one in the family area and one in the adult area. There isn't much difference between the two but the shape. They are pretty much the same depth. The families with young children stay in the family side, while most of the couples stay on the adult side close to the mayan bistro. It is literally 1 minute away from 5th Avenue. I personally dislike 5th because there aren't many authentic shops. A lot of them are things I could find back home. The continental breakfast is boiled eggs, fruit while it lasts (usually apples left is you come too late), orange juice, fresh orange juice, water, coffee, toast, mini cereal boxes, baked breads (coconut and carrot), sometimes there is granola and yogurt and anything else on the menu which you must pay for. Everyone who works here is very welcoming, nice and sweet. I especially loves the Mayan Bistro in the hotel. It is sometimes very empty, but don't let that intimidate you. You will receive the best service possible. They are so genuine and friendly. Nicolas and his daughter Gaby are wonderful. The cat that lives at the hotel, Olivia, is extremely adorable and small. Luis, the guest services manager seemed really nice, although he kind of disappeared the last few days of my stay. I hardly saw him. To be honest, he wasn't that helpful. There is usually someone at the desk, if not, they are in the back room. We also bought round trip transportation from the hotel. We got picked up by Raul at Cancun airport. He was very helpful and have us a lot of great information. He didn't know I understood Spanish. I over heard him calling women on the street ugly while we drove through traffic. I do believe he was supposed to bring us back as well, but he didn't show up. We had a different man come last minute. Not sure if that was an accidental mix up or if they are very unorganized. The maid we got was Josefa and she did an amazing job. The room was always clean and fresh when we got in with very cute towel animals. The hotel is very safe and cleaned constantly. Our room did have a slight odor in the closet. The live music did keep me up since we were in the family section, close to where they have the market in the morning and live music at night (every few days). I didn't check out the yoga or the spa. There is so much more I could say about this cute little hotel. I will definitely try to come back. I love Playa del Carmen. It's an amazing place with lots to do, great food and amazing people.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor or in the adult section.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sanariah

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Went here last Summer so I am a bit behind on this review. This little gem is in the heart of Playa Del Carmen within walking distance of 6th Avenue and a couple blocks from the beach but it is still off the beaten path where it was quiet enough for a good night's sleep. My room was simple but nice on the second floor overlooking the center patio area of the hotel which was like a mini tropical garden. Just lovely. Room was spotless and I was very pleased with the interior. Bed was comfy and toiletries provide were very nice! Housekeeping did a wonderful job on a daily basis. I always left a few dollars on the bed daily as these folks work very hard with little pay I presume. I walked daily to one of the beach clubs which was a 10-15 minute walk. I always felt safe though you have to get use to being yelled at by the street vendors trying to sell you something. No unexpected. The Mexicans know what hospitality is about and I can honestly say I would recommend Adventura Mexicana to everyone I know wanting more of a B&B feel. Forgot to give out a shout to the bar and restaurant staff. They know how to treat their guests!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ClassyTexasTraveler
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is a must go to place! Great location if you want to be fairly close to the action of 5th Avenue. Close to a great gym. Close to great restaurants with gourmet food.

The hotel is very clean and the food is exceptional. We didn't do the all inclusive and regret that. All top shelf liquor too. Staff very friendly and attentive. Felt very safe and comfortable. We were on the third floor of the adult section and it was very quiet. Wifi good in public places but couldn't get it in my room always....sometimes we did! Safe in room a good size for an iPad. We had the room with no bathroom door so that might be an issue for some so request a room that has one! Beautiful gardens, clean pool. So much nicer than staying in a big resort or cleaning your own room in a condo. Will definitely be back!

Enrique and Chris.... Thank you for the exceptional guest service experience!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMFCalgary
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My husband, sister and her husband recently stayed here for the third time. We love it more each time. We had a first floor room this time just steps from the pool and the restaurant but we have liked every room we've stayed in. If you want a quiet, relaxing place to stay but close enough to 5th Avenue, then this is your place. We're not beach people so we stay poolside much of our stay. Can't say enough about the management and staff. There is little turnover so it's nice to become reacquainted each time. The management lives on the property and is always checking to see how well you're faring.

Everyone speaks English, but the staff is kind enough to let me to practice my Spanish without laughing too much. (It's like getting a Spanish lesson!)

The food at the restaurant is absolutely the best, breakfast, lunch and dinner. On this last trip, the shrimp were huge and fabulous as were the guacamole, fish and fish tacos.

Can't say enough about the place, and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Please note that the bathrooms in many of the rooms do not have doors. If you don't want to be t...
2  Thank MasonWoods
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The staff at Hotel Aventura is so fantastic. Helpful and friendly! Our flight was cancelled and unfortunately we had to come in a day late, but the hotel worked with us and gave us a credit to use towards an excursion we planned with them. Speaking of... Luis is wonderful and so friendly. He helped us pick a fun day trip on a catamaran to Cozumel. Thanks Luis!
The grounds are gorgeous... We would sit outside every morning and watch the sun come up. The staff at the restaurant was very friendly, but beware: they don't speak English. Brush up on your Spanish! The food was outstanding though. We didn't do the VIP because we wanted to get out and eat every day, but we had breakfast at the hotel and it was not only delicious but also inexpensive.
My few complaints:
The air in our room was beyond lacking... We were sticky every night and had to open windows to stay a little cool. The small window near the bed would not open and we could only open the window in the living space. And unfortunately leaving the windows open meant waking up at 7 in the morning to the traffic and loud noises outside.
The shower was never hot.... warm at best if you took an early shower.
The shower was clogged... Up to our ankles in a matter of minutes.
Fortunately, we weren't in the room most of the time, but it was definitely irritating at points. The service and grounds is what kept us happy. :)
Oh and they have beach towels (that aren't tiny or overused... They're nice and big) and two beach clubs to go to! Definitely a perk.

1  Thank Laura C
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I just spent 7 nights at this hotel and it was such an amazing, relaxing experience! We arrived a few hours prior to check in expecting to have to store our bags behind the desk and hang out poolside but nope, in a matter of minutes we were checked in and led to a beautiful second floor room with gorgeous balcony overlooking one of the 2 pools (one is family, the other adults only). The room was pretty big, lots of storage space, in-room safe, nice flat screen tv (which we didnt use much), and contrary to what a lot of people have said, the beds were quite comfortable. The lighting was a little dark, but a non-issue. The grounds of this hotel are amazing! Ive stayed at a lot of beautifully landscaped resorts big and small throughout the caribbean but I think this might be the most beautiful. Its small but truly a feast for the eyes. I didnt get to read anything i brought with me because i just wanted to look! The family side has a kind of, i dont know, polynesian feel perhaps and the adult side, the prettiest side, has beautiful mexican tiles and details but also a few meditteranean touches. But it works! and its amazing, pictures on tripadvisor dont even do it full justice. And then theres Olivia :) Shes the hotel cat and you cant not love her, especially if youre missing your own pets back home. Shes so sweet and chill and you wont meet a guest that doesnt know her by name. She loves treats, so if your at the Mega (grocery store few minutes away) they have a bag of Whiskas treats that she was very fond of. As for food, theres one restaurant on the premises, The Mayan Bistro. They have a pretty good free continental breakfast. Dinner there was wonderful. Although its a hotel restaurant its actually ranked pretty high on trip advisor. Chris, the manager, was wonderful. Very friendly and makes all the guests feel special. The way he took care of something for us one night that I will leave between us was outstanding and Ive never been more impressed. Then to top the night off, he brought each table a box of chocolates from a local chocolate shop. 1st class service all the way. The hotel also has yoga and a spa, which we did not use and playas only kava lounge, which we went to a few times. Very good smoothies. We also tried the kava but Ive heard it can take a while to feel the benefits and we only tried it twice, so the jurys still out on that, but its cool and fun nonetheless so I do recommend. Dont worry about showing up and not having plans, they have someone in the lobby who can give all kinds of recommendations and help you book tours. Need a taxi? No problem, theyll have one for you in minutes and the bus stop is w/in walking distance. Beach is about a 7 min. walk away. Indidgo beach club is free but do yourself a favor and skip it. Head to Kool on calle 28 for just a few dollars. Beach is 1000times nicer. 5th avenue is half a block away and is on the classier end. Check out Chez Celine for breakfast when you need a break from the continental. Oh and the hotel has wi-fi in all the main areas. If youre lucky like we were it might work in your room. Do yourself a favor and stay here, you wont be disappointed.

3  Thank kitten11694
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed at the Aventura for one week at the end of Feb, 2014. Friends getting married at one of the large - mega resorts, but we were not interested in staying there. The Aventura Mexicana is just off of 5th Ave, which is the main retail/shopping strip that extends for blocks and blocks. Everything that you need is close to the location, or a short taxi ride away.

The staff were friendly and helpful - Luis at the front will assist you with anything that you need, and Candy at the small hotel restaurant was friendly and nice to be around!

Overall it was exactly what we were looking for - not one of the huge all inclusive resorts, and has some of the traditional Mexican feel to it. The grounds were lush and the pools are small but refreshing. It is about a 5 minute walk to the beach if that.

Room Tip: The 100 level rooms are on the main floor with nice little patios you can enjoy, however even the up...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple