After very careful research on TripAdvisor we decided to stay at Mexicana Aventura in Playa del Carmen. We booked the honeymoon suite for 8 nights. There are definitely pros and cons about this hotel.
Pros: beautiful hotel grounds and surroundings, friendly and helpful reception staff, very close location to the 5th avenue, yoga lessons a few times per week for extra charge.
Cons: the room was very run down and outdated, heavily worn sofa and light sockets hanging off the wall. We noticed fungi on the ceiling in the bathroom upon our arrival. There were only 2 pillows and on request 2 additional small pillows were delivered. The air-conditioning in the room was loud and powerful. The safety box was tiny and gave us the impression that you could pull it out with one hand. You couldn't leave any food in the room as in no time it would be full of small ants. The biggest let down was the breakfast. The breakfast generally had a very limited food selection. I've never seen such a poor continental breakfast. It consisted of toast, boiled eggs, some fruits, fruit cakes and tea/coffee. If you were keen to order anything else you could always order for an extra charge. The breakfast service wasn't good at all as the staff didn't speak very good English, they were too busy talking to each other or eating their own breakfast so it took ages for be noticed and served. The evening dinner service was much better and quicker.
I believe that some of the listed issues above could be easily fixed in order to improve the overall hotel experience.
The restaurant morning staff should be better trained and the breakfast food selection could be improved easily by simply adding a few types of ham/cheese/sausages etc.
I honestly do hate to write negative reviews as I travel a lot and I believe that these hotel room rates are overpriced for what you actually get. If I had decided to spend my actual honeymoon in Mexicana Aventura, it would be a big disappointment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aventura Mexicana - Your oasis of silence & beauty in the heart of Playa Del Carmen We're an American owned, top ranked TripAdvisor hotel & restaurant located just 1/2 block from Playa's popular 5th Avenue and 2 blocks from the beach! We're a friendly boutique hotel with lush, tropical courtyards and waterfalls, 2 swimming pools and 3 sundecks. Guest rooms feature 1 King bed or (2) Queen beds, inroom wi/fi, air conditioning, flat screen TVs, phones, private bathrooms and most rooms have balconies or verandas. Our hotel amenities include our Mayan Bistro (TripAdvisor top ranked casual restaurant / bar), free cooked-to-order breakfast, free wi/fi, free parking, beach club access, discounted gym passes and spa services. Our Guest Services manager is a tour and transportation expert and can answer all your questions about the area! Our Mayan Bistro offers breakfast, lunch, dinner & room service and THE VIP. THE VIP is our all inclusive option with fresh, made to order gourmet food and premium beer, wine and cocktails. THE VIP is only available through our website. Come have a wonderful vacation with us! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Aventura Mexicana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aventura Mexicana Hotel
- Aventura Mexicana Playa Del Carmen
- Aventura Mexicana Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen