“Not good value for money!”
Review of Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana
Ranked #24 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
London, England, United Kingdom
“Not good value for money!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

After very careful research on TripAdvisor we decided to stay at Mexicana Aventura in Playa del Carmen. We booked the honeymoon suite for 8 nights. There are definitely pros and cons about this hotel.

Pros: beautiful hotel grounds and surroundings, friendly and helpful reception staff, very close location to the 5th avenue, yoga lessons a few times per week for extra charge.

Cons: the room was very run down and outdated, heavily worn sofa and light sockets hanging off the wall. We noticed fungi on the ceiling in the bathroom upon our arrival. There were only 2 pillows and on request 2 additional small pillows were delivered. The air-conditioning in the room was loud and powerful. The safety box was tiny and gave us the impression that you could pull it out with one hand. You couldn't leave any food in the room as in no time it would be full of small ants. The biggest let down was the breakfast. The breakfast generally had a very limited food selection. I've never seen such a poor continental breakfast. It consisted of toast, boiled eggs, some fruits, fruit cakes and tea/coffee. If you were keen to order anything else you could always order for an extra charge. The breakfast service wasn't good at all as the staff didn't speak very good English, they were too busy talking to each other or eating their own breakfast so it took ages for be noticed and served. The evening dinner service was much better and quicker.

I believe that some of the listed issues above could be easily fixed in order to improve the overall hotel experience.

The restaurant morning staff should be better trained and the breakfast food selection could be improved easily by simply adding a few types of ham/cheese/sausages etc.

I honestly do hate to write negative reviews as I travel a lot and I believe that these hotel room rates are overpriced for what you actually get. If I had decided to spend my actual honeymoon in Mexicana Aventura, it would be a big disappointment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Katerina L
rsmearing, General Manager at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Katerina,

I appreciate your feedback and certainly do apologize that your visit with us was not as you expected. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our beautiful grounds, yoga, location and friendly staff.

February in Playa is the highest season of the year so room rates around town tend to be higher than other times of the year. We pride ourselves on being a budget friendly hotel just a couple blocks from the beach and steps from 5th avenue. Our rates are very competitive and during this time can be half what one would pay to stay on the beach or at a giant all inclusive.

I will definitely address the service level provided by my morning breakfast team. For our European guests, please note that the Lite Continental Breakfast we advertise consists of coffee, tea, a selection of juices, yogurt, granola, whole fruit, hard boiled eggs, white and wheat toast and a selection of cereals. Most people find this an adequate start to their day but if you need something a little more substantial you can enjoy our amazing cooked breakfast options for less than 5 dollars.

We have upgraded and replaced all of our linens and pillows this March and had added two additional King pillows to all of our King rooms (each bed now has 4 King pillows).

All the best to you Katerina!!

Rob - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Hebrew first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I planned a sorta last minute trip to Playa with my cousin in Februar, and we opted to do something completely different. I have been to Mexico many many times over the years, and have always stayed in all-inclusive resorts. This time we decided to try something different! I'm SO SO happy we did! After reading all of the TripAdvisor reviews, we knew this was the place for us!
Aventura Mexicana was in a great spot! It was not super close to the ocean, however we walked 10 minutes and were there. We were very happy for the walk, as it provided lots of exercise for all of the drinks we consumed on our trip. Also, the hotel is right off Avenida Quinta, which made for a direct and nice stroll to the beach.
We had family and friends also staying in boutique hotels in Playa, and we most definitely had the best hotel! We absolutely adored the staff! When we first arrived, I had not exchanged any $ for pesos, and thought that I could add a beer at the bar to our room. Gabby (the nicest most wonderful waitress), welcomed us by saying the beer was on the house and to exchange our money whenever we had time. It was such a sweet gesture! Each day after a relaxing day on the beach, we would come back and sit outside of the bistro for our early evening drinks. We sipped on cool, house cerveza (they have Modelo light--my favorite!) and indulged in some of the scrumptious cocktails--both the sangria and pina colada were to die for! We actually never ate at the hotel, but spent lots of money on drinks! We did get to meet the restaurant manager, Chris, and he was so sweet and nice. We can't wait to come back and try the restaurant.
As for the hotel, the rooms are clean and basic, but we didn't need anything too fancy or luxurious. The staff was friendly and our room had a little balcony that we could sit on and look out onto the street. We loved people watching. Each morning there is continental breakfast (I stress continental), and I enjoyed having my hot coffee :) . We were very pleasantly surprised by how wonderful our stay was. The only drawback I can comment on is the beds. I'm not very particular at all when I travel, but these beds were unusually hard. I was still able to sleep, but I definitely noticed the hardness when I woke up in the morning:( Next time I think I will bring something to soften the bed when I sleep. Other than that, everything was just fine.
We are beyond happy by our choice to stay in a non all-inclusive resort. We are planning a trip for February next year with everyone and will be back to stay here!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PuraVida85
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Adventura is a very inexpensive hotel right in the middle of the playa action. Spend a little extra for the suite. It is a small cabana with its own rooftop patio. The restaurant has a decent breakfast menu if you don't want the continental also.

3 Thank very-thirsty-travelr
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Most of the staff was very helpful and willing to explain anything, however the guest services manager, Luis, did not seem to be on the same page. He never seemed very helpful, you would ask him information, and he would tell you the answer and that was it, there was no more explaining. Just seemed a little short. Other than that, experience was pretty nice.

We did not stay in the room but to sleep. The room was nice, and pretty large, bathroom was a little different that I was used to, so if you needed to use the bathroom, it was better if the other/s left the room. No doors, just open area. Also another side note, there is no elevator, just stairs, so be prepared to carry your bags up and down them.

Free breakfast was nice, I however am not a fan of warm milk, so that was a little weird to eat my bowl of cereal with. But they offered fruits and toast, and a few other things. As well as they had some juices, milk, coffee, and water to choose from. As well as you could order from them for a charge, not sure what was on the menu as we normally had the breakfast and left.

Also another side note, I was a little bummed about, they had what seemed to be a hottub, but it was cold water. So not exactly sure what it was used for, that was on the "family" side. On the "adult" side, was just a pool, however during our visit, we also dealt with a few kids using it, so not sure how that is enforced?

Room Tip: I suggest the adult side, and if you dont mind steps, the 3rd floor seems to have the better views.
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I just come back few days ago from my first trip to Mexico and it was just perfect! I enjoy my arrival at the hotel where everybody was just so kind and attentional. The first sight is so important for the rest of the journey, and I just adore the way they all welcome you in this hotel. I travel a lot and I can say that this one worth it. Rooms are clean,location is perfect ( no noisy but half a block from la Quinta avenue) . I have a special thank to Nicolas who was so attentional and professional , well! I can thank the entire team in fact! Thanks again for this stay which was delightful before my coming back to work. I'll recommend it for sure and will come back as soon as possible!

• Stayed April 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

If not for the beautifully landscaped and tranquil courtyard/pool area, I'd have rated the place average. The bed (king size) was a bit short and not the best mattress. The room was rather Spartan with no decorations and poor lighting. Nonetheless, it had in room safe and air-conditioning, shower had good water pressure but soaked the bathroom floor. Food at restaurant was delicious and the atmosphere and location were top notch (though not on the beach).

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed here again in Early April - 4th time over the last 5 years or so. There were six in our group, and we did the VIP plan. The price for the VIP was very reasonable, and we decided that we would also go out for dinner a few times during the week to explore other restaurants. As the week went on, we realized that we had one of the best restaurants in Playa right there, and there was no point in going elsewhere! The food was fabulous, and the drinks flowed freely. These people run their butts off and do everything with a smile - be sure to take care of them!

Everyone I dealt with was attentive and eager to make our family vacation memorable. The rooms are kept spotlessly clean, and the grounds are constantly being manicured
If you're looking for an upscale, sprawling, all-in-one, glitzy resort, the Aventura is not for you.
If you like to get out and about, explore a little, go to the beach, and have a nice clean, comfortable place to come back to where you can have a drink or snack by the pool and a delicious dinner in the evening, then this little gem is the place for you!

1 Thank abeachgirl4ever