“A gem in Playa Del Carmen”
Review of Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana
Ranked #23 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Schenectady, New York
“A gem in Playa Del Carmen”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Aventura Mexicana is a gem. We found it affordable, convenient, and a real beauty of boutique
hotel which was a place of calm and charm but still only a block away from the bustle of Playa's 5th Ave shopping/eating strip. Nice small pools, great landscaping and a wonderful and fairly priced Mayan Bistro restaurant serving 3 meals daily. Most of all we loved the staff. All were competent, attentive and very friendly & helpful. I would highly recommend this great little hotel.

Room Tip: We loved the section of rooms surrounding the adults only pool but anywhere would be fine
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JKucij

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My mother and I just got back from Playa after spending 7 nights at this beautiful boutique hotel and we were really sad to leave(May 2-9). I have been to Playa on 4 other occasions and I am a huge fan of the smaller boutique hotels verses the huge all inclusive resorts. The difference between this hotel and the other one I use to stay at was it offers a VIP All Inclusive which is very rare for a boutique hotel. As it was my mothers first trip to Mexico, I really wanted her to have a stress free stay and our stay at Aventura was that indeed. From start to finish of our holiday this hotel and restaurant provided a perfect stay! The rooms were cozy and clean, ours #2101 was only 3 steps from the pool. The AC worked perfect-cool and quiet, flat screen television, table and two chairs both inside and out on our poolside patio.We never had any noise issues, it's hard to believe in fact as this hotel is just a short walk to the busy pedestrian only 5th ave and our jungle like botanical garden setting was a calming oasis.Rob the manager helped answer all my questions prior to booking and I was so impressed with his outstanding customer service that I took him and the hotel staff a few gifts to show my appreciation. Rob took the time to ask us more than once if there was anything we needed during our stay. The front staff at the hotel reception were friendly and welcoming, answering all our questions and provided us with everything we needed-many thanks to Luis,Jose,Antonio,Beto,Pepe and the rest of the front end staff. All of the staff are warm and friendly and they are always busy cleaning, answering questions, gardening and maintaining the hotel to a very high standard.

The Myan Bistro(hotel restaurant and bar) was simply fantastic. From the Mexican/Italian menu, the wait staff and cooks to the food and beverage manager, everything about this restaurant and bar was a 4+ star out of 5. My mother and I ate there everyday as we opted for the VIP all inclusive and it was undoubtedly a great decision! We tried many many dishes from there wide selection menu and every meal was perfect. The wait staff are very friendly and professional and provided 5 star service at every sitting. The wait staff also answered any questions and took care of any special food request such as less spice for my mothers meals or when it came to my minor onion allergy. I did my apprenticeship as a chef when I was younger and have eaten in many restaurants and hotels, as far as the quality of the food goes I would have to say the restaurant is a very consistent 10 out of 10. The chicken alfredo was incredible, my mother indulged in the fresh jumbo shrimp more than once, and even there homemade hamburgers and fresh salads for lunch were simply delicious. I also had there homemade pizza twice during our stay and it is the best thin crust pizza I have ever had.
On our last day of our stay I asked the food and beverage manager if I could go into the kitchen to thank the chef and cooks personally and shake there hands, I was so impressed by the consistent quality that I felt the kitchen staff needed be thanked in person, it's one thing to have a great meal at a restaurant but to have 21 meals that were consistently fresh and deliciously tasting with great portions is something rare in many restaurants these days.
Many thanks to Nico,Gabby,Dora,Candy,Sarah,Rob,Jorge,Christopher and the rest of the restaurant and kitchen staff for providing us with a terrific dinning experience! The bar had all the premium brands of liquor that you could ask for and I must say there margaritas are the best I have ever had in Mexico! My mother also enjoyed the fresh strawberry daiquiris and pina colada's immensely and she rarely drinks back home.

Luis, there guest services manager provides any information regarding trips and tours. Even though I had vacationed in Playa many times in the past and had some idea as to how I was going to show my mother around, Luis helped in many aspects of our stay. He arranged any transportation that we needed, planned a few trips that were perfect for our stress free stay, and gave us tips on where to buy specific items, he really takes the time and care to arrange trips and tours that suit individual needs.

As far as amenity's go, this boutique hotel offers much the same as a larger hotel, minus nightly shows or kids entertainment. It has two small pools(one kids/one adult) that provide enough room to swim and cool down, a hot tub, spa, restaurant and bar, popular yoga and kava lounge, many lounge beds to tan or relax in the shade, full guest services and a staff that are so warm and welcoming that make you feel like you are in a paradise home away from home.

Simply put this is a beautiful boutique hotel and wonderful restaurant that I would recommend to anyone who wants the charm of a small boutique hotel that offers an amazing all inclusive package with pretty much most of the amenity's that a larger hotel offers. I will be returning to this oasis in the future without a doubt. Many thanks to Rob and all his wonderful staff for a truly fantastic stay in Aventura Mexicana.

Rich/Margaret
Vancouver, Canada

Room Tip: Our room 2101 was facing the inner courtyard, steps from the pool, close to reception and clean and...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Rich W
Loudon, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here for 8 days at the end of April 2014. We are members of an all inclusive resort and wanted to try something a little more personable and quiet. Well, that's exactly what we got! Our room was on the ground floor (#1103) about 20 ft. from the pool and about 50 ft. from the Mayan Bistro (Excellent, by the way!). We never had any noise, except from the occasional loud muffler car passing the street. The room was spotless on arrival. AC worked perfectly and kept the room ice cold. Housekeeping was super all week. Room was spotlessly cleaned, amenities restocked and great towel art in the room everyday! Never a problem with water pressure and always had super hot water. Yes, as some reviews have stated, the beds are a little hard for our taste, but it never hindered our sleep. The hotel ground are incredible. There was always someone doing maintenance and landscaping while we were there. We wound up doing the all inclusive at the hotel after 2 days. After already having lunch there (Mayan Bistro) and then seeing what was on 5th Ave and surrounding areas, we decided the food was as good or better than anything else around. Plus the convenience of being so close, it was a no brainer. The food and service were excellent (See Mayan Bistro review). A continental breakfast comes with your room. There was 3 juices, coffee, toast, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, granola, fresh fruit, tea and sweet breads to choose from. There is also a full serve menu to choose from should you decide to go that route. Most days, the continental was fine for us, even tho we had the option of ordering off the full serve. All the staff we encountered at the hotel were great. The front desk was always helpful when we had a question of where the best atm's were, to local convenience stores, or simple directions. Everyone at the front desk spoke and understood English fine. Some people on here have made an issue of some of the restaurant and hotel staff not speaking perfect English. Folks, you are in Mexico!! You are visiting a different country...maybe you could try and learn some Spanish as they are trying to learn English! They appreciate the effort! We plan on making this a yearly stop now. Also, venture off 5th Ave for better bargains, food and culture.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SamBeast
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 days with wife, my 3 year old and 1 year old .

Pros: 1.Location, close to everything within walking distance my kid enjoyed the walks. 2. The pool, clean and perfect temp to swim and relax. 3. Room 102, nicely situated and away from noise.

Cons. Continental breakfast, not the best, customer service as well. They only bring limited amount of food, fruit and hide most of the items. Very dissatisfied with service, for example I asked for coffee and they pointed to an empty coffee container, they made more but did not care to let me know when they had refilled
the coffee. Front desk can be rude at times with their response, just to get you out of their way. They should add a female representative, they seem to care more to help.

Over all it's a nice hotel,
Would I stay here again,maybe if they improve their breakfast menu and update their front staff customer service skills.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Castlepine
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

After very careful research on TripAdvisor we decided to stay at Mexicana Aventura in Playa del Carmen. We booked the honeymoon suite for 8 nights. There are definitely pros and cons about this hotel.

Pros: beautiful hotel grounds and surroundings, friendly and helpful reception staff, very close location to the 5th avenue, yoga lessons a few times per week for extra charge.

Cons: the room was very run down and outdated, heavily worn sofa and light sockets hanging off the wall. We noticed fungi on the ceiling in the bathroom upon our arrival. There were only 2 pillows and on request 2 additional small pillows were delivered. The air-conditioning in the room was loud and powerful. The safety box was tiny and gave us the impression that you could pull it out with one hand. You couldn't leave any food in the room as in no time it would be full of small ants. The biggest let down was the breakfast. The breakfast generally had a very limited food selection. I've never seen such a poor continental breakfast. It consisted of toast, boiled eggs, some fruits, fruit cakes and tea/coffee. If you were keen to order anything else you could always order for an extra charge. The breakfast service wasn't good at all as the staff didn't speak very good English, they were too busy talking to each other or eating their own breakfast so it took ages for be noticed and served. The evening dinner service was much better and quicker.

I believe that some of the listed issues above could be easily fixed in order to improve the overall hotel experience.

The restaurant morning staff should be better trained and the breakfast food selection could be improved easily by simply adding a few types of ham/cheese/sausages etc.

I honestly do hate to write negative reviews as I travel a lot and I believe that these hotel room rates are overpriced for what you actually get. If I had decided to spend my actual honeymoon in Mexicana Aventura, it would be a big disappointment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Katerina L
rsmearing, General Manager at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Katerina,

I appreciate your feedback and certainly do apologize that your visit with us was not as you expected. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our beautiful grounds, yoga, location and friendly staff.

February in Playa is the highest season of the year so room rates around town tend to be higher than other times of the year. We pride ourselves on being a budget friendly hotel just a couple blocks from the beach and steps from 5th avenue. Our rates are very competitive and during this time can be half what one would pay to stay on the beach or at a giant all inclusive.

I will definitely address the service level provided by my morning breakfast team. For our European guests, please note that the Lite Continental Breakfast we advertise consists of coffee, tea, a selection of juices, yogurt, granola, whole fruit, hard boiled eggs, white and wheat toast and a selection of cereals. Most people find this an adequate start to their day but if you need something a little more substantial you can enjoy our amazing cooked breakfast options for less than 5 dollars.

We have upgraded and replaced all of our linens and pillows this March and had added two additional King pillows to all of our King rooms (each bed now has 4 King pillows).

All the best to you Katerina!!

Rob - General Manager
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I planned a sorta last minute trip to Playa with my cousin in Februar, and we opted to do something completely different. I have been to Mexico many many times over the years, and have always stayed in all-inclusive resorts. This time we decided to try something different! I'm SO SO happy we did! After reading all of the TripAdvisor reviews, we knew this was the place for us!
Aventura Mexicana was in a great spot! It was not super close to the ocean, however we walked 10 minutes and were there. We were very happy for the walk, as it provided lots of exercise for all of the drinks we consumed on our trip. Also, the hotel is right off Avenida Quinta, which made for a direct and nice stroll to the beach.
We had family and friends also staying in boutique hotels in Playa, and we most definitely had the best hotel! We absolutely adored the staff! When we first arrived, I had not exchanged any $ for pesos, and thought that I could add a beer at the bar to our room. Gabby (the nicest most wonderful waitress), welcomed us by saying the beer was on the house and to exchange our money whenever we had time. It was such a sweet gesture! Each day after a relaxing day on the beach, we would come back and sit outside of the bistro for our early evening drinks. We sipped on cool, house cerveza (they have Modelo light--my favorite!) and indulged in some of the scrumptious cocktails--both the sangria and pina colada were to die for! We actually never ate at the hotel, but spent lots of money on drinks! We did get to meet the restaurant manager, Chris, and he was so sweet and nice. We can't wait to come back and try the restaurant.
As for the hotel, the rooms are clean and basic, but we didn't need anything too fancy or luxurious. The staff was friendly and our room had a little balcony that we could sit on and look out onto the street. We loved people watching. Each morning there is continental breakfast (I stress continental), and I enjoyed having my hot coffee :) . We were very pleasantly surprised by how wonderful our stay was. The only drawback I can comment on is the beds. I'm not very particular at all when I travel, but these beds were unusually hard. I was still able to sleep, but I definitely noticed the hardness when I woke up in the morning:( Next time I think I will bring something to soften the bed when I sleep. Other than that, everything was just fine.
We are beyond happy by our choice to stay in a non all-inclusive resort. We are planning a trip for February next year with everyone and will be back to stay here!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PuraVida85
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Adventura is a very inexpensive hotel right in the middle of the playa action. Spend a little extra for the suite. It is a small cabana with its own rooftop patio. The restaurant has a decent breakfast menu if you don't want the continental also.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple