“Wonderful hotel, great staff”
Review of Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana
Ranked #23 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
minneapolis
“Wonderful hotel, great staff”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This place was amazing. Very accommodating. Everything from start to finish was a breeze (even though I had a ton of questions). Unfortunately I only stayed for one day as we were scouting Playa Del Carmen for places to get married at. Since my fiance was away at a different resort I was by myself. I looked at several places in town since me being by myself for the day, I had the opportunity to do something us as a couple probably wouldn't plan on. I looked at several places in town over a few months planning. Boy am I glad I chose this place. I booked directly on the website. I dealt with Andy via email. He took a lot of time and answered so many questions. Very helpful. I wanted to stay at the adults side so he accommodated that request. Both sides of the property are very nice. I was surprised by all of the vegetation. The pool was also very nice. It stays pretty quite as far as I could tell (which is what I was looking for). The Mayan Bistro is connected to the adults side. I ate the crab tostadas (I think, or maybe they were tacos? I forget, we tried so many different things while we were there). Food was great. The staff from the owners and management, front desk, all the way to the Bistro were perfect (I rewrote this review so I could include the names of the people working the Bistro when I was there anyway. These "Behind the scenes" type folks need recognition too! Manuel, Erasmo, and Sebastian. Also my waiter Nicolas, who was nice enough to bring me a bite to eat at my room. I don't think you should expect that, my room was literally next door to the Bistro.) Extremely helpful. My fiance showed up the next day and the gentleman at the front desk knew who she was looking for by my name (My room was on the other side of the property and I wasnt expecting her quite yet.) Once she showed up Rob and Ann took us on a tour of what they could offer as far as wedding venues and such (this was completely impromptu, I mentioned it to Andy very shortly before I arrived and they obliged). I was shocked at how much they did for us. They showed us so many things, places, sharing ideas, things from past weddings. Their level of personal service is something you do not see that often. They were even nice enough to drop us off at our next hotel so we could check in while they held our bags until we could come back and get them later in the day. We still have not decided which place we are going to get married at, but if we don't do it here, we are 100% absolutely coming back! I'm secretly already planning a weekend trip here later this summer! One last thing. I failed to mention the room yet. I loved the room I stayed in. I thought it was spacious, plenty of furniture, and plenty of amenities I wasnt expecting. It had a small refrigerator, some dishes and silverware, a small stove top, and a large water cooler. I didn't really use any as I was there for only a night, but I thought it was very nice. Before I selected this property I read a few reviews complaining about the bathrooms and the beds. The bathroom was great, I had no complaints. Very big, well lit. I remember one review complaining of the "3/4 wall". I don't think it was quite 3/4 (I remember it being a bit more like 4/5), but I didn't mind it. My fiance came and checked it out and she thought the bathroom was very cool, very different from what we're used to but in a good way. My A/C worked just fine, and I had no major complaints with the bed (had so many pillows on it!) I wish I had photos but she had the camera the whole time. Lastly, I read a few complaints about the safe. I agree, the safe is smaller and not as sturdy as you like, but the bottom line is if you lock your door, nothing is going to happen. If someone is willing to smash the door in to steal something, I don't care how nice the safe is, they're taking it! And if you're worried about the staff stealing for some reason (which is preposterous), I don't think traveling is for you, especially abroad. At some point you have to let your guard down and enjoy life. I've stayed at many resorts, hotels, properties in this area and have never once had a problem. I would think the smaller the property the less likely something like that happens anyway due to the smaller staff, everyone knowing each other, ect. Anyway, if you have any questions you think I may be able to answer feel free to message me.

Room Tip: I like to stay away from children while traveling here. I know they have adults AND family sides, b...
3 Thank pawnit2002

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Hebrew first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I just returned home last night from Aventura Mexicana Hotel. WOW!

I surprised my husband for his 40th birthday and our anniversary. My emails were addressed immediately and communication was great! Luis from guest services kindly upgraded us and arranged for airport transfer from Cancun Airport (fee is $65 roundtrip p/p). I will add that I did cancel the transport as I found it for less thru another transfer group. After my experience, I have also learned that transfer via public bus is easy and cheaper … anyways.. back to the hotel review.

After about an hour drive from the airport, we pulled up to the modest looking green hotel down a quiet road off the main strip (5th avenue). Don't be fooled.. it may look small on the outside but once you step into the beautiful open air reception area you will be led into a hidden oasis!

Enriquez at the front desk was very helpful and gave us a quick verbal orientation and provided a map of the area. The bellman helped us up to our room - we weaved thru the pool area and up the stairs to our amazing, beautiful , very quiet and private suite… it was INCREDIBLE!

The landing area was outfitted with chaise loungers and it was very private - not many hotel guests ventured up there.. I guess as a hotel patron, one would think it was a private area (tho it is open to everyone).. but it seemed like it was a little landing/courtyard that was just for the single unit suite that we would call "home" for a few days. The iron gate opened up to a balcony/patio with lush plants and flowers decorating the perimeter. A patio table with umbrella furnished the area.

The unit was clean and simple and very spacious. A small kitchenette with coffee maker, microwave, sink, fridge, filtered water dispenser, a couch and ottoman, television with a small selection of English channels, very large bed, ample closet space, robes, safe, large and open bathroom/shower with organic toiletries… it was PERFECT! There was also wifi available in the room and I never lost signal - connection was great! There was also a sweet towel folded swan to greet us on the bed surrounded by flowers.. this was a wonderful welcome and start to our celebration vacation together. The room was cool as well and air con worked great.. even when switched off completely the room remained cool. My only note would be - the couch seemed a bit dirty.. but I never sit on the couches in hotel rooms.. they are usually almost always questionable. I was not bothered by it tho.. oh! and the water pressure in the shower was not very good.. but again, it was fine and we got by.. if you really want a good shower then bring a bar of soap down to the shower by the adult pool area.

Our housekeeper Lupita was respectful - she would come and sweep the outdoor area each morning but because we had our signed turned to "no housekeeping" we were pretty much left alone. I did notice on one afternoon when we returned someone had clearly entered our unit - all of the cupboards were opened and I know that we did not do this. Perhaps some maintenance? I'm not sure.. but none of our personal belongings were disturbed. Again, I was not troubled or alarmed by this.. the staff are all very respectful. One afternoon we had returned from the beach and we were having coffee and a cigar up on the (private) landing area.. and Im not sure if maybe the cigar smoke was bothering people below? But a staff member came up and was pretending to clean.. she hung around for quite a while. That seemed a bit weird to us.. she didn't bother us but I had wished that if there was a problem they could have told us rather than having her mill around..

Now, more about the grounds.. as I mentioned, this was a hidden urban oasis.. the grounds had lush greenery everywhere. Once inside the hotel grounds, it felt like you were in a very private faraway land.. meanwhile, the bustling city was just outside the door. There was a pool/hot tub area once past reception and this seemed to be where the young kids would hang out and splash around. There was a lounge/bar area - Im not sure what they served there because we would just walk thru… it looked chill and relaxing tho. Morning yoga would happen in that space as well (chairs etc would be cleared to create a tranquil practice space). Off to the side was a small little hut and this was the "spa", equipped with 2 massage tables.. I am a massage therapist and this was such a sweet space.. I wanted to work there!

Just past this area thru the small corridor, there was the restaurant -always smelled delicious and had several people dining there (hotel patrons and others from the street). We never ate there, but we did have complimentary breakfast as a part of our stay. I would venture down in the morning to get coffee and fruit (bananas, kiwi, pears, apples).. and I noticed there was yogurt, granola, selection of teas, cereal, toast.. maybe some other pastries that I missed.. I would just grab a few things to bring back to the room. The "adult" pool was just off to the side and it was great… a few lounge chairs were there so you could relax by the pool. It was never bustling with people.. in fact, each time we went into the pool we were the only ones in there. I should mention that the groundskeepers keep this place immaculate! I am usually grossed out by public spaces, especially pools.. but they would clean them thoroughly in the mornings and they always looked fresh and inviting.

The beach is a very short walk down 5th avenue @ 14th - turn right when exiting the hotel
(Indigo Beach Club/El Taj). Its the beach club with the giant Buddha sitting out front. Entry was comped by Aventura Mexicana and towels were also provided by AM tho I'm sure you could get towels at Indigo. I will have to write a separate review for Indigo Beach Club but this place was AMAZING and Robert, our waiter for the 2 days we hung out there was hands down, the best server ever and a really good dude - hard working, engaging.. just all around awesome!

We also had the option to go to KOOL Beach Club (turn left out of hotel) and pay a discounted entry fee but after walking by, and checking it out online we decided that it wasn't really our atmosphere. I'm glad we spent our time at Indigo.. it was easy going, relaxing, good prices, good food, good view, good people, comfortable..

I should mention also, that something I really appreciated about Aventura Mexicana is that not once did they try to sell anything to us.. no invitations for time share meetings, no hassles, no marketing ploys.. they just let you enjoy your time. If you needed them, they were there to answer any questions or assist with needs. The staff was present but remained under the radar. They really understand how to make their guests feel welcomed and comfortable.

Oh! There was also a cat who I named "Tortie" who would lounge around the property.. I am not a fan of cats, and in fact I am highly allergic.. but I really enjoyed having Tortie around.. he was really sweet and happily lapped up milk that we left on our balcony for him.

I had booked this hotel thru Expedia at a special discounted rate … we definitely got our dollars worth and more! As you drive thru Cancun and Playa Del Carmen you will see massive grand luxury hotel/resorts and you will see little small dive-y looking hotels as well. My husband and I both commented that Aventura Mexicana was perfect for us… it was beautiful, clean, comfortable.. not too upscale and stuffy, and not the type of place where you would be afraid to take your shoes off.. it was just PERECT in every single way. We loved our time there… if we chose to skip the beach and just stay at the hotel the whole time it also would have provided the backdrop for a wonderful relaxing vacation.. we cannot wait to visit again and if the rates were affordable we would look to stay here again.

Last - as mentioned, the tourist strip 5th Ave is just outside the door.. we really didn't venture out of this area.. after a few nights it became tiresome.. all of the tourists, the gimmicks, people trying to sell you stuff.. if we had more time we would venture off the beaten path to discover the real Playa Del Carmen (not the tourist side of it).. but for our short stay this strip provided everything that we needed - food, souvenirs, and for the Americans who just can't live without.. there is Starbucks, Forever 21, etc… my tip is not to go to Haagen Dazs if you have a hankering for ice cream… $20 for 2 ice creams.. we are still shaking our heads at that.. LOL!

AVENTURA MEXICANA! THANK YOU for making my husband's birthday and our 4th wedding anniversary so special.. we will never forget it!

Room Tip: if you are a couple, request a room away from the kids pool/spa area if you are looking for quiet aw...
2 Thank CainFamily T
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been in Playa renting a condo for 5 months. We attended a fundraiser for a great organization (KKIS--keep Kids In School) and bid on and won a certificate for a 2-night stay at this hotel. We decided to use the certificate for our 39th wedding anniversary.

We stopped by the hotel to make our reservations on the way home from the auction. We were warmly greeted by bilingual staff, who took our reservation. We explained that we would be celebrating our
anniversary during our stay.

We were pleasantly surprised when we received the confirmation email...they had booked us into the honeymoon Suite. The room was spacious and well appointed, with a king bed, large sitting area, a nice size flat screen tv, and a kitchenette. And GREAT air conditioning.

They offer free wifi, beach club access (only a couple of blocks away), 2 pools (one is adult only), and an on site restaurant serving menu service as well as a light continental breakfast which is a sufficient meal.

Each time we passed through the lobby, the staff would acknowledge us by name. The entire complex of buildings is surprisingly larger than it looks, and we could hardly believe how quiet it was, nestled between busy 5th and 10th Avenues.

The only slight negative, and I think it is limited to the Honeymoon Suites, is that the large bathroom has a partial wall, so it is not totally separated from the rest of the room.

All in all, 2 thumbs up for this great hotel!!

• Stayed May 2014
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Over all I am pleased with this hotel. The staff at Front Desk and Chris at the bar promptly helped me whenever I needed it. I had a group with several rooms and the location is great for those who enjoy feeling close to everything but still a just a few steps away to ensure privacy. The one thing that would have helped me a lot is to be able to break a US $20 bill into smaller bills at the Front Desk. This would have been so convenient. Instead, I had to use a high commission ATM outside of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pasión C
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Great romantic hotel in a super location, where we were welcomed with a smile. They made us feel very comfi and were very helpful in making us feel at home. When we walked in the room, we were welcomed with soft music. Both the room as the surroundings were very cozy. The hotel is a very cute boutique hotel , 2 min walk to 5th Ave THE main street, which comes with a very friendly staff. Everyone was very friendly and Luis is THE perfect person to help you with scheduling tours. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Highly recommended without a doubt.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms in this wonderful hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank angelfun2002
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We spent 8 days at the Aventura Mexicana in Playa del Carmen in early May for our dive vacation. We chose this hotel from positive feedback from prior customers, the pictures online, being able to walk to Tank-Ha Dive Center for our diving and the fact that we were walking distance to everything else. Our room was a junior suite with a king size bed, which comes with a sitting area and efficiency kitchen (sink, small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, dishes and flatware). Our room also had a 5 gallon jug of filtered water on a dispenser stand and a safe to lock up valuables.

We arrived prior to check in and before our room was available, so the hotel kept our luggage in the management office while we went to lunch and walked around. The Mayan Bistro restaurant is on the hotel property, so we had lunch there which we had awesome fish tacos. The bistro also provides a continental breakfast each morning to the hotel guests. The breakfast was pretty simple; toast, cereal, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, flavored bread, coffee and juices. They have a breakfast menu for anyone that wants something heartier and for the hotel guests that purchased the all-inclusive package.

When we came back to check in, the hotel staff had kindly taken our luggage and put it in our room for us. When we went to our room, we were pleasantly surprised. Our room was 402, which is a bungalow on the terrace sundeck. This was separate structure from all of the hotel rooms. We also had our own private patio area, which was great.

As soon as we got in our room we turned on the air conditioner, which never cooled the room. The hotel brought us two fans to help circulate the air. A couple of days later, they replaced the air conditioner, which worked very well.

The hotel property is beautiful with lush tropical plants. There are two pool areas; adult pool and family pool. Both areas seemed to stay rather quiet. As we were in PDC to scuba dive and spend time at the beach, we only visited the adult pool briefly one afternoon.

Overall this was a great hotel with a great staff. We would stay at Aventura Mexicana again.

Room Tip: Room 402 is a great bungalow away from the other rooms.
1 Thank Jewel K
Burlington, Washington
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Had a few small issues, the AC went out, the 2nd day, so they moved us to another room, gave us a choice between two. It turned out the we ended up with a nicer room than we had to begin with, that is always a plus. Was not too much of a hassle, just packed up and they moved our luggage. Then the cable was out for 3 days, kinda like to catch a little news before bed. We we checked out they apologized again, and gave us a pretty nice credit for the "inconvenience" of moving rooms. The cable problem was in the street. The concierge was always helpful, answering questions and all of the staff really were friendly and helpful. They did a nice job!! Only issue was pretty common for Mexico, the beds are rock hard....true for any hotel I have stayed in here in Playa.