“Great location for a clean and reasonable hotel”
Review of Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana
Ranked #23 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Great location for a clean and reasonable hotel”
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Located just off of 5th Avenue (basic street for food-shaooping-bars, etc..)--this hotel has very clean rooms and good size. Will hear traffic in the area but A/c unit or fan to cool you down will drown it out. Small safe and water dispensor in each room--shower ihas good pressure. Only think is no privacy on bathroom since no door to toilet area.

Daily contental breakfast was adequate but not filling and service is a bit slow. Dinner was good size portion and delicious People are very friendly and helpful in the hotel and small restaurant almost next door to the hotel has GREAT FOOD and CREPES! See Karla and tell her Ines and Frank sent you. Major fitness center across the street and discounted for hotel guests.

1 Thank Bullrider008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Hebrew first
Maryland
Reviewed 16 May 2009

I spent four nights at the Aventura Mexicana in late April. This was my first trip to Playa del Carmen. This hotel gets really good reviews on TripAdvisor, but since the price was low (compared to what I usually pay for hotels), I was a little nervous about what it would be like. I generally choose mid-range accommodations (i.e., room quality of at least an updated Marriott Courtyard or Hampton Inn or a regular Marriott or Hilton), and I wasn’t sure if the Aventura Mexicana would be more of a budget hotel than I was expecting, since it can be difficult to judge independent hotels. Overall, I thought this hotel was a great value and offered a lot of amenities for the price point.

Rooms: I had a second floor room (Superior King) near the restaurant. The room was fine -- fairly basic, but very clean with everything in working order. Some things were a little different than most hotels. The rooms in this part of the hotel (I think this is (or was) the “adult only” section) are accessed through a large sliding glass door, with an unusual little key used to lock/unlock it. The bathroom was partially open to the rest of the room. This didn't matter to me since I was staying there alone, but I think it would be awkward to share that room. The TV was small (probably 12"), which really didn't matter, since there was very little to watch in English anyway. I was able to use the free wifi in my room, most likely because I was close to the restaurant (hotel information on the website and what they told me when checking in is that wifi is available in the restaurant and the lobby). From the room I had, I could hear some of the traffic on 10th Avenue (10th gets a lot of vehicular traffic since 5th is pedestrian only). It didn’t bother me, but it might be an issue for some people who are very sensitive to noise. They also had music at the restaurant one night during my stay (Monday, I think), which was pretty loud in my room. I believe the music started between 7:00 and 7:30 pm when I was getting ready to go out for dinner. I stopped at the desk on my way out (for some other reason) and asked about how late the music went, and I think they told me it ends by 9:30 or 10 pm. I didn’t get back until later that night, so I don’t know what time it ended.

Amenities and Facilities: The Aventura Mexicana has a very attractive courtyard/pool area and a cute restaurant/bar, the Mayan Bistro. The grounds are pretty, with very lush gardens surrounding two pools. There also are a couple of smaller tubs filled with water, including one that looked like a Jacuzzi tub. The Mayan Bistro is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and has a bar. I only had the included continental breakfast there a couple of mornings. Previous reviews indicated that breakfast started at 8 am, but when I arrived, they told me they had changed it to start at 7 am, which I think is much better for people who are planning daytrips or excursions and need to get an early start. I am not a big breakfast eater, but I did have juice, coffee, and maybe a piece of toast there a couple of times. They also offered large pastry/roll-type things and had a very reasonably priced menu with other options. I didn’t try anything else, but the food being served to other people looked good. The orange juice seemed to be fresh squeezed, and the coffee was good, so I was happy. The waitresses were very nice and accommodating when I just wanted to take a cup of coffee back to my room (one morning when I was leaving early for a daytrip, and another morning when it started raining while I was having breakfast). The hotel also has coffee available “to go” by the front desk, but the restaurant was closer to my room. Other people have commented that the restaurant/bar are good and reasonably priced for other meals and happy hour, but I never ate anything there or used the pools/lounge chairs, since I spent most of the day away from the hotel. The hotel gives you beach towels, and you can get discount passes to the Kool beach club (a 5 – 6 block walk) from the front desk (the pass is for the regular mesh beach chairs for 30 pesos instead of 40 pesos). I inquired about but never used the gym across the street, Evolve (AM also has discount passes for this gym, $10 US admission versus the regular $15 admission). I had my own laptop, but there also is a computer guests can use in the building with the front desk, and the hotel offers massages on-site at prices that seemed reasonable (maybe $30 or $35).

Staff and service: The front desk staff spoke English well (which is good since I only know a few words of Spanish) and were helpful with any questions I had. Check-in was good (I arrived between 5 and 6 pm having been in Isla Mujeres previously), and the gentleman who checked me in and showed me to my room was great. He carried both my suitcase and duffel bag, which I was grateful for, since I had been hauling them (and my beach bag) around all afternoon. He also was very patient in showing me how to use the lock on the patio door (it required a little trial and error, even for him). As mentioned above, the restaurant staff were very nice too. I didn’t have any problems, and only stopped by the front desk to obtain/exchange towels and inquire about taxi fares. I also want to say that I was very impressed with the management/reservations staff when making my arrangements. I found them very responsive to email, and when I had to delay making my arrangements and change my travel dates, they were very accommodating in offering me the same rate that they originally quoted even though rates on their website had increased.

Location: I originally had been focusing on hotels around Calle 6 and Calle 8 and 5th Avenue, but I really liked the Aventura Mexicana’s location (10th Ave and Calle 22/Calle 24). I thought that the north part of PDC was a little more upscale and trendy, without the concentration of chain restaurants and souvenir shops compared to the area near the ferry to Cozumel. I also thought the beach north of Constituyientes (which would be Calle 18 if it was numbered like the other streets perpendicular to the beach) was nicer than the area further south, because it was wider and not rocky. Playa is very walkable, so it probably didn’t make too much difference, but I ended up eating dinner most nights either in the area around the Mega (30th Avenue and Constituyientes), or on 5th Avenue between my hotel and Calle 30, so I liked the AM’s location for proximity to dining.

Final thoughts: The Aventura Mexicana was a good choice for this trip. I was looking for a lower cost hotel than I normally seek because I had budgeted for PDC accommodations based on a great rate that I secured for another hotel through an auction site. I also did not need to be right on the beach, since I planned to do daytrips around the Riveria Maya on two of my three full days in PDC, and I had to leave the hotel early on my last day. I liked the AM’s amenities, staff, and location, and I thought it was a very good value. I would consider staying here again on a return trip to Playa del Carmen.

If I can answer any questions, please feel free to send me a private message. I posted more details about my trip to PDC and other areas I visited on my trip in the “Yucatan Peninsula” forum. I don’t think I can provide the link to the post in this review, but the title is “April 09 trip - Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Riveria Maya”.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
6 Thank Beachdreams2
london
Reviewed 10 May 2009

We have just got back from this hotel having selected it from comments on this web-site. There are supposedly eleven hotels which are better but we cannot see what they have to offer in preference to this hotel.
Despite the flu scare, you should go to Mexico. There are few cases of flu in the Yucatan Peninsula.
The Aventura Mexicana is one of the oldest high-quality hotels in Playa. It occupies a prime spot away from the sometimes trying end of Avenida 5, close to the beach and to the classy end of town. The building is stylish and well designed. It has a small pool, two sundecks, and every room is dual aspect with a large patio door facing the beautiful internal courtyard which is the hub of the hotel. Much time and money is expended maintaining the gardens which are in tip-top shape. There is also a restaurant which faces a side street but which isn’t used very much even though it is does the best ceviche in Playa and cheap cocktails. Breakfast is served in the centre of the courtyard in the sun and the staff are amazingly friendly and genuine. The clientele is honey-moon couples and older people. We saw no children.

Every day, the maids made up the rooms brilliantly. They specialise in towel sculptures. One day, we had bought a cloth elephant and found that the maid had produced an elephant sculpture out of towels to sit next to the Elephant! You get a fridge, safe, TV, wi-fi, a fan, a good bathroom in every room, as well as air conditioning.
Breakfast was tasty with plenty of orange juice. You can also have a cooked breakfast for approx £2 – but you do have to ask for the menu (otherwise you don’t get it!).

The staff speak good English and are welcoming, caring and genuine. They arranged a fishing trip for us and took care of taxis etc. The staff make the hotel what it is and I very much doubt the other 11 hotels can match this quality.

When you’re in Mexico, you should explore the archaeological ruins, the cenotes and go fishing. We left with a high opinion of Mexico and the Mexicans.

2 Thank scottybail
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Aventura was an awesome hotel. We were there for my wedding so I had a lot of guests coming to stay. They were all very well taken care of and everyone enjoyed their experience. There a couple of pools and even a children's pool. The restaraunt served great happy hour drinks (2 for 1) and had great snack foods (try the onion rings!). The continental breakfast was great for waking up and grabbing a little something to eat. The bed was not hard at all, which is what we usually expect in Playa. I've been to Playa many times, and this was on of the best stays I've had, including condos. We will definitely stay there again and again.

• Stayed April 2009
2 Thank Jennd317
CT
Reviewed 4 May 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 8 night stay at the Aventura Mexicana. The staff was great. They must have listened to previous comments as they now open for breakfast at 7:00 AM. The continental breakfast was very good and they always have complimentary coffee in the lobby area. My husband received Spanish lessons in the morning from Rosalie and Maria came to his rescuse and helped him use the phone card. Julio at the bar always had a smile, and he makes EXCELLENT margaritas. We stayed in a Deluxe King room on the third floor. The room had a microwave, mini fridge and purified water dispenser. Shower had great pressure and the bed was very comfortable. We faced the inner courtyard and 10th Ave and never had any issues with noise. They provide passes to Kool beach club, where we rented plastic beach chairs at 30P per person per day. The hotel is centrally located to everything. The pictures are accurate, it is a charming boutique hotel in a garden setting with some on the most amazing and helpful people. We thank them for their hospitality and look forward to returning in the future

2 Thank CTKATE
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 23 April 2009

My friend and I came to PDC for a short 4 night dive vacation. The dive shop, which is 3 blocks away, recommended AM and I was pleasantly surprised. AM is a half a block west of the famed 5th Ave where all the shops and restaurants are. Other hotels have reviewers complaining about late night street noise, but we heard absolutely no noise in our room. The hotel is small, but charming and very clean. it has several courtyards with pools and a quaint Bistro for all the day's meals. Prices in the restaurant are very reasonable. The staff were all EXTREMELY friendly!!! The price for our stay was very reasonable as well, with a special February discount! We had two twin beds. Our room was spacious and clean. Refrigerator and TV. Nicely tiled shower. I would highly recommend this place for any one interested in a no-frills, but charming, clean, ideally located hotel that is only 3 blocks from the beach.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Palmyra, VA
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Hotel Aventura Mexicana was wonderful! Located within minutes walking to a grocery store, pharmacy, numerous restaurants and the main "Avenida Quinta," you'd never think a hotel could maintain such a peaceful, quaint and relaxed atmoshpere! With Wi-Fi and a computer available to guests, I was able to be in contact with my husband who was unable to make the trip. The staff knew us after the first day and we never needed to tell them our room number to get our key or beach towels, they knew exactly who we were and what we needed. (And they were smiling all the time!) Because the staff was ALWAYS right there at the front desk within sight of the pool, I felt totally safe allowing my son to swim there not far from our room door. I felt totally comfortable and at home, unlike most of my hotel experiences.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends