“THE BEST STAFF AND VALUE $ IN THE AREA.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana
Ranked #23 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Nuevo, California
“THE BEST STAFF AND VALUE $ IN THE AREA.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2009

Hola, I just returned from a 10 night family / friends Scuba Diving Vacation & Wedding in Playa del Carmen. Our whole wedding group lodged at this hotel. I was very happy with the great, personable and very friendly staff and with the tidy, clean well run daily operations of this hotel. This is a well located and very value friendly $ hotel. I humbly recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes a pleasant stay in the area. Gracias. Jose' Luna., Nuevo. Ca. 04 June 09.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Hebrew first
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2009

We booked our 4 night getaway with Orbitz, including their Greyline transfers. No problems with any part of the booking. Greyline was there at the airport and we were off to our hotel.

A note on Greyline transfers. I had read a few negative things on them and since this was our first time using them, a bit curious as to how it would play out. The only problem we had was when they never showed up the next morning to arrange for our return shuttle. I wasn’t losing sleep over it, but it did bother me a bit. Our hotel called them for us the day before we left so I could confirm the transportation and the gentleman was there 10 min early to pick us up!

Check in at Aventura Mexicana was typical and quick. We needed to give them a cc for “incidentals” and sign a form that we were given a room key, breakfast card, and towel cards. Lose them and you have to pay. Again, typical and nothing shocking or out of the ordinary.

We were taken to our room on what used to be the “adult” side. We had a corner room, 205, and it was much better than I expected. I booked the Deluxe King but just didn’t realize it was a small “suite”. Patio doors opened to a small living area with TV, water jug, and microwave. Around the corner was the bathroom. It is true that the walls do not reach the ceiling, but there is a door on the bathroom so I don’t quite understand the concern over lack of privacy. I thought it was a cute attempt at style and uniqueness.

There was also a rather large size closet with hangers and shelves. The frig was located here. The room safe was also in the closet, it was electronic and a bit tricky to figure out the first time. There was a different routine to putting in a code compared to the ones we were used to. Off to the side was the king bedroom. They proudly advertise Sealy mattresses, which is true, but both my husband and I had bad neck and back problems after the 2nd night.

Bathroom was only stocked with shampoo and soap. I was glad I brought a small bottle of conditioner with me. Lotion would have been a nice touch as well. There were also two robes in the room, love that, but no slippers. I like to have them because the tile floors can be quite slippery and cold. Oh well, no problem!

Maid service was fine. We always had towel art on the bed – and those were the only two towels we were given. At Aventura, if you hang up your towels, they will not replace them. I know this is common with all hotels, but AM was the first one we’ve stayed in that actually did not replace them unless you put them on the floor.

Air conditioning worked great!

The hotel has wifi - but it was spotty and not that great. I have an iphone and I was able to finally connect in the lobby and near the restaurant. But even then it wasn't guaranteed. They do have a computer for use just off of the lobby.

The grounds were very lush and cute. Two small pools and what looked like a Jacuzzi of sorts. We used the pool on our side only and it was refreshing (not too cold or too warm). We enjoyed sitting in the chairs with Olivia, the cat. We thought it was odd that the chairs were on harsh gravel - made it hard to get to your chair bare foot after coming out of the pool. Did I say this before? – No problem!

Our room was located on 10th Ave, but we never once had any issues with any kind of noise, traffic or otherwise. In fact, our room seemed very quiet and with the shades all closed, very dark. If someone was right outside of our room and talking, you could hear, but that was it.

We took advantage of the included continental breakfast one morning and it’s quite simple, but we expected that. We were given toast with toppings and there were sweet rolls. Nothing great, but it worked.

Discount passes are included for Kool beach club, but it’s not a big deal. It is only a $10 peso discount. After getting to the club and choosing our chairs, we were told the discount only applied to the plastic chairs in the back row. We were already comfortable and it wasn’t worth moving. $70 peso each for the chairs. Kool had great pina coladas and the chicken nachos were some of the best. Great service and not too bad prices either.

Location of the hotel is very good, yet for us it was a bit far north for our liking. We found ourselves heading to the calle 10 area or so. A nice walk, but it was HOT and sunny, making the walk a bit harder than one would think, especially for my hubby who doesn’t take the heat as well as I do.

We certainly have no complaints with Aventura Mexicana. I have a few observations (not complaints!):
- Room could use a full length mirror for us girls that like to check our outfit before leaving the room
- Conditioner and lotion might be a nice touch to the bathroom amenities
- TV in the bedroom as compared to only in the living room
- Get rid of the rocks under the pool loungers
- Front desk was nice, but shy and not outgoing at all. We had to see “hola” first or you wouldn’t even be recognized when you walked past them.

I can highly recommend this hotel for someone wanting a nice place to stay in Playa del Carmen.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ZsaZsa
Bellingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2009

Last week we stayed at the Aventura Mexicana. It was a very nice, low-key, hotel. They had free internet, a nice little continental breakfast, 2 small pools and a great staff.

We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2009

Located just off of 5th Avenue (basic street for food-shaooping-bars, etc..)--this hotel has very clean rooms and good size. Will hear traffic in the area but A/c unit or fan to cool you down will drown it out. Small safe and water dispensor in each room--shower ihas good pressure. Only think is no privacy on bathroom since no door to toilet area.

Daily contental breakfast was adequate but not filling and service is a bit slow. Dinner was good size portion and delicious People are very friendly and helpful in the hotel and small restaurant almost next door to the hotel has GREAT FOOD and CREPES! See Karla and tell her Ines and Frank sent you. Major fitness center across the street and discounted for hotel guests.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bullrider008
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2009

I spent four nights at the Aventura Mexicana in late April. This was my first trip to Playa del Carmen. This hotel gets really good reviews on TripAdvisor, but since the price was low (compared to what I usually pay for hotels), I was a little nervous about what it would be like. I generally choose mid-range accommodations (i.e., room quality of at least an updated Marriott Courtyard or Hampton Inn or a regular Marriott or Hilton), and I wasn’t sure if the Aventura Mexicana would be more of a budget hotel than I was expecting, since it can be difficult to judge independent hotels. Overall, I thought this hotel was a great value and offered a lot of amenities for the price point.

Rooms: I had a second floor room (Superior King) near the restaurant. The room was fine -- fairly basic, but very clean with everything in working order. Some things were a little different than most hotels. The rooms in this part of the hotel (I think this is (or was) the “adult only” section) are accessed through a large sliding glass door, with an unusual little key used to lock/unlock it. The bathroom was partially open to the rest of the room. This didn't matter to me since I was staying there alone, but I think it would be awkward to share that room. The TV was small (probably 12"), which really didn't matter, since there was very little to watch in English anyway. I was able to use the free wifi in my room, most likely because I was close to the restaurant (hotel information on the website and what they told me when checking in is that wifi is available in the restaurant and the lobby). From the room I had, I could hear some of the traffic on 10th Avenue (10th gets a lot of vehicular traffic since 5th is pedestrian only). It didn’t bother me, but it might be an issue for some people who are very sensitive to noise. They also had music at the restaurant one night during my stay (Monday, I think), which was pretty loud in my room. I believe the music started between 7:00 and 7:30 pm when I was getting ready to go out for dinner. I stopped at the desk on my way out (for some other reason) and asked about how late the music went, and I think they told me it ends by 9:30 or 10 pm. I didn’t get back until later that night, so I don’t know what time it ended.

Amenities and Facilities: The Aventura Mexicana has a very attractive courtyard/pool area and a cute restaurant/bar, the Mayan Bistro. The grounds are pretty, with very lush gardens surrounding two pools. There also are a couple of smaller tubs filled with water, including one that looked like a Jacuzzi tub. The Mayan Bistro is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and has a bar. I only had the included continental breakfast there a couple of mornings. Previous reviews indicated that breakfast started at 8 am, but when I arrived, they told me they had changed it to start at 7 am, which I think is much better for people who are planning daytrips or excursions and need to get an early start. I am not a big breakfast eater, but I did have juice, coffee, and maybe a piece of toast there a couple of times. They also offered large pastry/roll-type things and had a very reasonably priced menu with other options. I didn’t try anything else, but the food being served to other people looked good. The orange juice seemed to be fresh squeezed, and the coffee was good, so I was happy. The waitresses were very nice and accommodating when I just wanted to take a cup of coffee back to my room (one morning when I was leaving early for a daytrip, and another morning when it started raining while I was having breakfast). The hotel also has coffee available “to go” by the front desk, but the restaurant was closer to my room. Other people have commented that the restaurant/bar are good and reasonably priced for other meals and happy hour, but I never ate anything there or used the pools/lounge chairs, since I spent most of the day away from the hotel. The hotel gives you beach towels, and you can get discount passes to the Kool beach club (a 5 – 6 block walk) from the front desk (the pass is for the regular mesh beach chairs for 30 pesos instead of 40 pesos). I inquired about but never used the gym across the street, Evolve (AM also has discount passes for this gym, $10 US admission versus the regular $15 admission). I had my own laptop, but there also is a computer guests can use in the building with the front desk, and the hotel offers massages on-site at prices that seemed reasonable (maybe $30 or $35).

Staff and service: The front desk staff spoke English well (which is good since I only know a few words of Spanish) and were helpful with any questions I had. Check-in was good (I arrived between 5 and 6 pm having been in Isla Mujeres previously), and the gentleman who checked me in and showed me to my room was great. He carried both my suitcase and duffel bag, which I was grateful for, since I had been hauling them (and my beach bag) around all afternoon. He also was very patient in showing me how to use the lock on the patio door (it required a little trial and error, even for him). As mentioned above, the restaurant staff were very nice too. I didn’t have any problems, and only stopped by the front desk to obtain/exchange towels and inquire about taxi fares. I also want to say that I was very impressed with the management/reservations staff when making my arrangements. I found them very responsive to email, and when I had to delay making my arrangements and change my travel dates, they were very accommodating in offering me the same rate that they originally quoted even though rates on their website had increased.

Location: I originally had been focusing on hotels around Calle 6 and Calle 8 and 5th Avenue, but I really liked the Aventura Mexicana’s location (10th Ave and Calle 22/Calle 24). I thought that the north part of PDC was a little more upscale and trendy, without the concentration of chain restaurants and souvenir shops compared to the area near the ferry to Cozumel. I also thought the beach north of Constituyientes (which would be Calle 18 if it was numbered like the other streets perpendicular to the beach) was nicer than the area further south, because it was wider and not rocky. Playa is very walkable, so it probably didn’t make too much difference, but I ended up eating dinner most nights either in the area around the Mega (30th Avenue and Constituyientes), or on 5th Avenue between my hotel and Calle 30, so I liked the AM’s location for proximity to dining.

Final thoughts: The Aventura Mexicana was a good choice for this trip. I was looking for a lower cost hotel than I normally seek because I had budgeted for PDC accommodations based on a great rate that I secured for another hotel through an auction site. I also did not need to be right on the beach, since I planned to do daytrips around the Riveria Maya on two of my three full days in PDC, and I had to leave the hotel early on my last day. I liked the AM’s amenities, staff, and location, and I thought it was a very good value. I would consider staying here again on a return trip to Playa del Carmen.

If I can answer any questions, please feel free to send me a private message. I posted more details about my trip to PDC and other areas I visited on my trip in the “Yucatan Peninsula” forum. I don’t think I can provide the link to the post in this review, but the title is “April 09 trip - Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Riveria Maya”.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
6 Thank Beachdreams2
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2009

We have just got back from this hotel having selected it from comments on this web-site. There are supposedly eleven hotels which are better but we cannot see what they have to offer in preference to this hotel.
Despite the flu scare, you should go to Mexico. There are few cases of flu in the Yucatan Peninsula.
The Aventura Mexicana is one of the oldest high-quality hotels in Playa. It occupies a prime spot away from the sometimes trying end of Avenida 5, close to the beach and to the classy end of town. The building is stylish and well designed. It has a small pool, two sundecks, and every room is dual aspect with a large patio door facing the beautiful internal courtyard which is the hub of the hotel. Much time and money is expended maintaining the gardens which are in tip-top shape. There is also a restaurant which faces a side street but which isn’t used very much even though it is does the best ceviche in Playa and cheap cocktails. Breakfast is served in the centre of the courtyard in the sun and the staff are amazingly friendly and genuine. The clientele is honey-moon couples and older people. We saw no children.

Every day, the maids made up the rooms brilliantly. They specialise in towel sculptures. One day, we had bought a cloth elephant and found that the maid had produced an elephant sculpture out of towels to sit next to the Elephant! You get a fridge, safe, TV, wi-fi, a fan, a good bathroom in every room, as well as air conditioning.
Breakfast was tasty with plenty of orange juice. You can also have a cooked breakfast for approx £2 – but you do have to ask for the menu (otherwise you don’t get it!).

The staff speak good English and are welcoming, caring and genuine. They arranged a fishing trip for us and took care of taxis etc. The staff make the hotel what it is and I very much doubt the other 11 hotels can match this quality.

When you’re in Mexico, you should explore the archaeological ruins, the cenotes and go fishing. We left with a high opinion of Mexico and the Mexicans.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scottybail
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

Aventura was an awesome hotel. We were there for my wedding so I had a lot of guests coming to stay. They were all very well taken care of and everyone enjoyed their experience. There a couple of pools and even a children's pool. The restaraunt served great happy hour drinks (2 for 1) and had great snack foods (try the onion rings!). The continental breakfast was great for waking up and grabbing a little something to eat. The bed was not hard at all, which is what we usually expect in Playa. I've been to Playa many times, and this was on of the best stays I've had, including condos. We will definitely stay there again and again.

• Stayed April 2009