“We will be back next year!”
Review of Aventura Mexicana

Aventura Mexicana
Ranked #25 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Very clean rooms, the best service, great Bistro within the confines of the hotel complex, don't have to leave the complex, you can just lay around the pools or hot tub and sunbath or relax. We had no problems with language barrier with any of the staff and they are very accommodating with all of our questions. We miss the happy atmosphere between the staff members, miss the flowers and beauty of the complex. We will be back next year again, now if we could. We come home to Saskatoon Sask. to snow, some dirty snow and no leaves on the trees or flowers, so pretty bleak compared to the beauty in Playa Del Carmen. Thank you for the great holiday!!

Reviewed 15 March 2010

I'll start with what's great - the location is awesome. Close enough to walk to everything, but a block and a half off the main strip, so its not too noisy at night. 2 blocks from 2 beach resorts, (that cost $2-3 USD to rent a chair & towel). Now that I stayed in the heart of it all, I would never choose to stay in one of the resorts outside the main city area. The staff is great, always very friendly & accommodating, willing to do what it takes to make your stay nice. The hotel & surrounding area felt very safe. The pools are small, but nice, well maintained, and surrounded by beautiful plants, flowers and landscaping. The hotel has two different types of rooms, so I can only speak as to the ones I stayed in. The room I stayed in was very plain. Concrete walls & concrete floors, a bit institutional. The beds were nice. Bedding was always cleaned everyday. We could hear the people above us walking a bit, it was bearable though. For the price, the rooms are decent, clean, and a good deal. Just expect plain, no frills rooms, and lots of concrete. I would defintely stay here again, especially if you want to vacation on a budget.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2010

Fantastic hotel! I don´t think I have ever given anywhere a 5/5, but this place well deserves it.

I stayed here for 5 nights, on my own in-between volunteer projects in Mexico in Oct 2009.

As I was on my own I was a bit worried to begin with, but soon realised it was a safe hotel.

I was given a ground-floor room, which I don’t usually like because patio doors are very easy to get open. However, there are always plenty of staff members walking around and it really feels safe. The rooms are big, nice and clean, as are the bathrooms. The only minor complain I can think of is that the walls are rather thin, and for 2 nights I had noisy neighbours, but that is hardly the hotels fault. My patio door opened up to the pool area, it’s been very well designed boutique style hotel.

There are two small pools in the hotel, and it is surrounded by beautiful grounds that are really well maintained. The complementary breakfast is served in their restaurant/bar and was very good, they try to get you to order some eggs as well or something extra off the menu, but it’s up to you.

They have computer with internet access which you can use free of charge for 30 mins a day. It was really handy, but obviously some people abuse the free usage and spend a lot longer on there than they should.

The hotel isn’t in the main part of Playa Del Carmen, but is a good 15-20 minute walk away. This said it’s nice and quiet and very near to the strip of shops, restaurants and bars along the way to the main part of PDC. (By main part I mean the harbour where you get the ferry to Cozumel and the main ADO bus station. It’s an easy walk to a few good supermarkets and the other ADO bus station.) It is about 2 blocks away from Mamitas beach.

I’m going back to Mexico in October this year, and will definitely go back to Aventura Mexicana.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lotty79
Reviewed 9 March 2010

the staff was great. I'm a 70 yr. old recent widow, this was 1st. time I traveled by myself to Mex. they were terrific to me. close to main restaurants, food was good at hotel too. Alma { masseuse} was great!! $25 for an hr. I went twice

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 March 2010

My spouse, sister and her husband stayed 5 nights in early February. We found the Hotel to be exactly what we had researched on the Internet. The grounds were beautiful and the food was excellent, as well as reasonably priced. The rooms were very spacious and the towels were large and thick. The staff was courteous and accommodating. One of the rooms required brighter lighting next to the bed (for reading), and the staff immediately resolved our problem. Our only complaint was that many of the sundeck lounges were broken to the point where you could lie down but could not sit up on them because the notches were broken. We brought this to their attention and they immediately removed them; however, we were never provided with replacements. WI-FI is available throughout the grounds if you bring your own laptop. One computer is povided but was in use most of the time. The Hotel has 3 levels with outside access and no elevators. If you have any problems with steps, you'll want to request a room on the ground floor. We were within minutes of walking distance to 5th Avenue shopping, restaurants and nightlife. We did not utilize the gym or the beach, but we walked the short distance to the beach just to check it out. We were extremely happy with our stay here and would highly recommend the Aventura Mexicana. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank GizzieLou
AventuraMexicana, Ownership Group at Aventura Mexicana, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2010

Hi Hatlady12,

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacation at the Aventura Mexicana. We just wanted to let you know we have recently purchased all new lounge chairs and they should be delivered soon! Please let me know personally when your travel plans bring you back to Playa!

Andy Mortensen
Aventura Mexicana Ownership Group

Reviewed 1 March 2010

My husband and I enjoyed our stay here- second time in Playa del Carmen, first time in Aventura Mexicana. We did not see any point in paying high-end hotels, considering you spend most of the time outside, in tours or on the beach. The staff very is helpful. Even Jorje from the travel agency was very kind and helpful, even though we didn't book any tours with him. The hotel is very clean and beautiful, there are gardens and pools all around. Our room (superior king on the first floor next to the pool) was fine, clean but a bit damp. Noise from the street was very slight, so hardly an issue at all. The A/C was good in cooling the room quickly, but didn't keep it dry (hence the dampness. our clothes and swimsuits could only dry outside).
The continental breakfast was ok (too bad the orange juice isn't freshly squeezed). Only complaint here is that it took a long time to get everything, sometimes even over 20 minutes (and that's just for the coffee, juice, toasts and jams). We ordered from the menu twice, and it was tasty. Also ate at the Mayan Bistro one night, good food. We suggest trying the local food (near the Mega there are some good restaurants), which is also cheaper.
The hotel is very close to the beach and avenida 5, the perfect location in Playa.

1  Thank suede2
Reviewed 28 February 2010

This is the third time my partner and I have stayed at Aventura Mexicana and we love it! We have never ever stayed at the same hotel more than once when travelling on vacation so that is something! Everyone who works at the hotel is very helpful and friendly, the grounds are great and the rooms are terrific for the most part. We have seen marked improvement in the hotel since our first stay here four years ago. Special acknowledgement to Antonio and Jose at the front desk who went out of their way to answer our questions and accomodate us. I cannot believe how clean the rooms are and I wish we had a housekeeping staff at home that was so thorough! The past two times we have stayed there we have chosen a Deluxe room..the best feature of which was the bottled water cooler which we used extensively. The mix of people this hotel attracts is fantastic. Gay couples should note that this is not a gay/lesbian hotel although there most likely will be at least one or two other gay/lesbian couples staying there at any given time. We felt very welcome on every trip here so that was not a big concern. Unlike, all-inclusive resorts, you can expect to find couples and families from all over the globe staying here making for a nice diverse mix. Although there were more children staying here on this trip than the last trip, they were for the most part very well-behaved. In addition, families stay in a completely different section of the hotel with a separate pool, etc. The only drawbacks I would say were that we did see a number of folks (although not us) who seemed to be waiting an inordinate amount of time for their breakfast to be served and some actually left to have breakfast elsewhere in frustration. In addition, the floorplan of the rooms we have stayed in are a bit strange with the bathroom situated behind a curved wall with no door. Also, they had one internet station for guests' use and there was always a wait. We would recommend adding another workstation. Other than, it is fabulous!!!