“Perfect for nature lovers”
Review of Hotel Casa Tucan

Hotel Casa Tucan
Ranked #119 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Perfect for nature lovers”
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I live where it is very cold in the winter so I am delighted to see greenery. This hotel has lots of it. And birds. It was delightful! And for such a good price! The one drawback was that at the time of our stay the nights were chilly. The thatch roof of our room did not hold in heat and I had a bad cold which was not helped by the cold room. Another concern we had was the bugs. Or rather, the lack of them. What were they spraying to kill them and how harmful is it to us? If I were to return I would inquire about this. The location was ideal. Close to everything (including the beach) but not noisy.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank verdulo1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Reviewed 8 October 2010

You can do so much better for the price. The staff was very helpful and nice, but the other options available in Playa offer so much more. And if it looks like like this hotel is on the beach on a map, but beware, it is not. The rooms were clean but old and the bed was uncomfortable. The only redeeming feature was the balcony overlooking the pool. We paid $50 usd for a double during September low season. We stayed one night and left.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed 11 July 2010

This hotel is ok, however, the rooms are very dark and there is no AC.

The employees at the front desk were not helpful at all; they always looked like you were bothering them when you asked them something,

The location is good, not far from 5th avenue and the beach.

They do not post hours for their internet centre, so if you need it be sure to use it before 8:30 PM (I need to check in and they told me it was closed -- this was around 9 PM)

I would not stay here again

• Stayed May 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Myself and a friend stayed here for two nights beginning the 24th of May. I have stayed here a few times befroe, each time with different people, in different rooms. I am never let down by the courtesy of the staff, and their great sense of humor.

Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted- Nicole already had our key in hand! She led us to our room, which was on the second floor. It was very basic, as are all of the rooms here. It had two double beds, a tv, and mini fridge. We were not in Playa to spend a ton of time in the room- it was perfect for us!

We enjoyed breakfast the next morning in the restaurant at the entrance to the hotel. The art on the walls was gorgeous- come to find the owner loved one of the paintings so much he purchased it! :-) Our breakfast was amazing. We enjoyed fresh baked bread with homemade marmalade- 2 kinds! The coffee was to DIE for. It was literally so good you never put the cup down. Each cup is fresh ground and brewed; the owner has an agreement with a woman who travels to northern Mexico to grab the beans, then roasts them right in Playa... The owner said sometimes the bags are still warm when she delivers them. 'nuff said.

All in all, this property is great for the budget traveler and people who enjoy authentic lodging in a great location.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Galway
Reviewed 28 January 2010

This hotel is cool, not at all what I expected to find in the middle of city like Playa. As soon as you go in you are surrounded by greenery, and it really doesn´t feel like you are in a town anymore, all the street noise just fades into the background and I instantly relaxed.

The room I stayed in was painted tro resemble a giant garden, everything was really clean and the bathroom was tucked away up a a couple of stairs and around a corner (in the room).

The price was very competitive and although I didn´t eat there other guests told me the food was pretty good.
There is a pool, again tucked away in the middle of the trees and it´s pretty deep too, about 5metres I think....
I would definately recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a budget getaway, definately worth the (very competitive) price.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
savannah
Reviewed 27 January 2010

We stayed here on our Honeymoon after saving for this trip for most of a year. We had a wonderful time and just could not RAVE enough. The rooms were a little small dark and somewhat smelly, but hey we were in Cancun. The only problem we exerienced was that my new wife broke out in hives - I do not believe the hotel was related to this. The staff is wonderful and curteous. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Denmark
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I stay at Casa Tucan fore the hole october month, The Hotel and the restaurant where great.
The Manager Horst, and the staff where very helpfull. the food at the restaurant Tucan sabor was cheep and very good - Not to mention the caffee, I got it fress every morning.
I give my best recommend too the Hotel.
thx. 4 the stay ;) Frank