“Great resort after checked in!!”

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #31 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My husband and I along my son and his family and a family friend recently visited the Paradisus La Esmeralda. It is the most beautiful new resort and have so many pleasant and helpful people employed at this resort. The experience started out being a quite disappointing. Since we were traveling with four small children we requested to have our three rooms side by side. After checking in we were anything but. One on the first floor and two spread out on the second. When we questioned we were told the resort had no suites like ours that were side by side and if we checked back the next day they would see what they could do. We were working with a young lady by the name Biely at the reservation desk. She seem to have an attitude from the moment we questioned our suite locations and we could tell she was going to be anything but helpful. My son contacted our travel agent and she called the resort to speak with Biely about the situation. Biely told our agent we were being very demanding and wanted our suites all on the first floor. This was not at all the case. We just wanted to be together no matter what floor. After two days of discussing the situation with Biely my son contacted the resort manager. After telling him how rude and how unwilling she was to help with our suites we were moved and upgraded to three swim up suites all next to each other.
A great man by the name of Hiliberto was so helpful making our room change. He made things so easy for our group. During our stay we had an awesome pool waiter by the name of Luis. We had Luis everyday and he always was so pleasant and couldn't have been anymore accommadating. He also catered to our young children's needs for different foods and drinks.We at times also had a pool waiter named Augustin that was also very helpful. We had a young man by the name of Henry that did housekeeping. He always made a point to talk with you to see how your trip was going. Henry actually knew all of our children by name. If you needed anything he was right there to do it for you. Our entire group was so happy with all of the restaurants and the variety of foods offered. The restaurants were so accommadating with reservation times for our young children.
This would be a great resort to visit if something would be done to correct the attitudes of the employees at the reservation desk. That was the only negative things I've read reviews about and experienced at this resort. Would probably visit again if someone else would do my check in. Never been so frustrated on my many trips around the world!

Room Tip: The swim up rooms are worth the upgrade.
3  Thank Rhonda2278
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review regarding your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.
We are pleased to read we were able to solve your room assignation problem after your let us knew your inconformity. You noted we are a customer oriented hotel chain; we try to satisfy or even succeed all our guests´ needs.

Your feedback about the front desk staff was sent to the area manager, and corrective actions were taken immediately, even when you were still at the resort. Please be sure that the next time you decide to visit us, you will notice the improvement in our front desk department.

Luis, Henrry, Hiliberto and Agustin will be informed about your recognition to their outstanding job and they deserve to know they were a significant part from your overall Paradisus experience.

Please let us know in advance about your future vacation at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

I went to this resort together with my daughter and my spouse, and we came back from our vacation from Mexico on July 14, 2012, and still, till now, we can't believe that everything was real! Our vacation was amazing, we were treated and felt like the kings of paradise!
Even before arrival there, I had the chance to write to Mr. Mondragon, their Quality Representative, asking some questions! He answered to me right away, providing great details! Thank you Sir!

From the arrival, our designated concierge, Jorge Leon, from Club Melia, took good care of us, explaining us everything, and helping us with the check in process. He did not only give us a tour of the resort that day, but during the whole period of staying he took care of our reservations for the A La Carte restaurants, reservations for different tours we took through Mexico (piramids, X-caret)! He is a great host and perfect organizer!

Their personnel was again exceeding our expectations, making sure that we had everything we needed to feel good, starting from the restaurants (just to mention here Jose from Naos, which was always on top of things), kids club, personnel on the beach and around the pool, personnel that took care of the cleaning of our room, our daughter being treated like a princess everywhere she went!

Thank you again to to the whole team for such a great vacation!

Dear Mr. Negrea,

Thank you very much for letting us know how everything went during your stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda.

We are totally pleased to know that you were enjoying the Paradisus experience even before your arrival to the property when you decided to contact us to provide you some important information that helped you through your entire vacations.

Please be sure that Armando, Jorge and José will be informed about the incredible assistance they provided to you and your family.

We will be waiting for your prompt return to Paradisus La Esmeralda to pamper you again and treat your daughter as the princess she is.

Gerente de Calidad

Reviewed 20 July 2012

I spent 4 days with my wife and my 13 year old daughter here. I have been here 4 months before on a business trip. I now wanted to enjoy as a tourist. It is the best "all inclusive" kind of hotel I have ever stayed before. They do not save money on the drinks or food like other hotels. Wherever you are there is a waiter offering you something. The pool is great, comfortable, roomy. Many places to stay, like small cabanas, many towels and showers and restrooms near the pool. The beach is also very beautiful. There are many options for restaurants. You should make a reservation for dinning. The Mole was great, although we are not much lovers of Mexican food. At Naos you have your breakfast and dinner if you want. It is a big and very qualified buffet. Our waiter was Rafael Jimenez and I want to make public his effort to serve us. Very kind, nice and always on a good mood, funny and all compliments possible to him. The fitness is nice, roomy, not many treadmills but enough, never crowded. The room was the simpler we got. Despite that very comfortable, nice towels, good beds and linen, great bathroom. Nothing to complain. There is wi fi everywhere even on the pool and believe me, no extra charge like many hotels. I certainly will come back with my other 2 boys and stay the whole family.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Edubertero
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Hello,
Me and my boyfriend just return from our vacation, spent in Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Esmeralda Resort. The first 3 days everything seemed to be perfect, till my money left in my wallet in the room disappeared. I realized this matter when I came into my room and was looking for money in order to buy a tour to Chichen Itza. I called security department and followed their procedure they advise me. Accordingly the hotel policy my room was checked and it was made a report with information I gave to them. I was promised that in 2 days the investigation will be done and I will receive the results. These 2 days passed and I didn`t receive any answer!!! When I checked out no one from hotel`s personal didn’t come with explanations or feed-back or apologies.
It is very pity that such bad experience happened in this luxury hotel and no one is interested in what is happening in reality there. To all of you who wants to stay in this hotel I strongly recommend do not left any money outside the security box, or at least be aware that bad experiences happened even in paradise.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Elena111150800
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Dear guest,

We are deeply sorry to read you had to deal with that difficult experience during your stay. Of course no one wants to be worry about their belongings during a relaxing vacation and unfortunately you were subject to suffer this isolated inopportune event.

We are aware of the situation because the day you let us knew about it, our Security Manager was with you to start the investigation, the following day, our Guest Relations manager was with you during the day and set an appointment with you to meet him again at the afternoon and it seems you were not able to come to the meeting. One day before your departure, our Security Manager was with you again to explain to you the investigation status.

Occasionally guests´ loose certain belongings during the length of their vacations and they don’t remember the exact place or the last time when they saw them. This happens even more when the safe boxes located in every room are not being used to deposit those articles. We understand this was not your case, but we have to be completely sure about it. We hope you understand our procedures and that your case was attended every day since you reported it.

We are sorry that your overall experience was tarnish by that incident, when you were having a pleasant stay the previous 3 days. We really hope you can give us the opportunity to host you again at Paradisus, and let us demonstrate the event you had to deal with, was a remote one.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

On our second day of our stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda, I wrote a post about some of the struggles we had the first two days of our stay. I wanted to update that post with a cumulative review. To do so, I had to delete the previous review. So to summarize my initial post, we arrived on July 10th. We booked our vacation through Liberty Travel, which lauded the "My Time" credential that accompanies booking a visit to this resort. We were traveling in a group of three families with a total of four children under the age of 5. In advance, we requested three adjoining rooms to accommodate with being able to monitor the kids and still being able to stay in contact with the rest of our group. This was included on our reservation. Knowing full well that they cannot guarantee this and that it is only a request, we attempted to check in only to find out that our three rooms were in the "vicinity" of one another. After talking to the representative from the travel agency and several people at the front desk, we were not able to make any progress. We were told that the three rooms together was not guaranteed and that they were expecting a group of 165 rooms coming in the next day. After waiting to see if this was the case, I decided to take action on behalf of my group. The next day it was clear that there was no way the resort was at capacity. At times, we were the only families eating in the various restaurants in the evening. It did get slightly more crowded as the week went on, but nowhere near to the expectation that was shared with us.
I had the email address for Mr. Armando Mondragon, the Quality Manager, whom I had emailed about a month before our stay to have some questions answered. After emailing him, I put the post on this site. Within a short time we were contacted and they were able to accommodate us almost immediately. We were moved to three rooms side-by-side, with two of the rooms connecting. They actually upgraded us to swim up pool rooms, which were great. So I wish to commend Mr. Mondragon for his efforts and courtesy.
Overall, the resort is beautiful. The grounds are very clean. The workers do everything they can to make your experience memorable. I particularly want to commend Luis from the wait staff. He went above and beyond throughout our stay after the move to the second set of rooms. He deserves to be commended and compensated for his great efforts. Also, Henry, our housekeeper, went above and beyond our expectations. He was particularly understanding with my daughters and their napping schedule. He was also so pleasant and friendly. He too deserves to be commended and compensated. Obviously there was no need to tip at this resort as dictated in the expectations, but we felt the need to do so just because of the great service provided by many of the individuals. Additionally, I would like to commend Abraham from Olympus Tours, Agustin from the wait staff, and many others of whom I was unable to acquire their names. The bald gentlemen in the Bana restaurant on the family style side was extraordinarily welcoming. Hilimberto at the front desk was very helpful also in our room switch.
The food was incredible in almost all cases. The breakfasts at Naos were great and offered many options. We enjoyed the Hibachi at Bana as well. They even made accommodations to meet our needs one evening at Bana for the Hibachi on our last night there when they were booked. The food at Vento was great. Even the food at the Sunset Grill was solid for quick lunches.
Each time you picked up the phone, whether for room service or a request of another nature, the people were pleasant.
Abraham from Olympus Tours booked a day trip for us to Xcaret. The show was amazing. The park was nice. If you want to see ruins as a priority, go to Tulum. Don't rely on the mini-ruins at Xcaret. The park does have a ton of entertainment options though.
Things of which to be aware: the beach is in rough shape. This is in no way representative of the effort of the workers who rake seaweed daily and do everything they can. It is just a very rocky and rough location. The pools are beautiful. We spent most time in those obviously.
Beware of the taxi drivers. After taking trips to Xcaret and Fifth Avenue, we realized that they seemed to charge us differently on the trips to there and back even based on a "concrete rate" by the same companies. Somehow wondering if something is a kickback somewhere in there.
One lady at the front desk was not overly accommodating as were 99% of the people with whom we dealt. Our exchanges were Biely were not particularly pleasant. A few times she would leave the desk when we asked questions and had to go see her manager, only to come back seconds later with various offers and costs for upgrades that seemed to change on each cycle to the back and return to the desk.
Overall, it was a great resort with great food. The workers all went out of their way in almost all cases to accommodate the needs of the guests. I travel semi-frequently, and I can say that I have never been to a place where the people seem to genuinely care for you. This is even most impressive considering I'm sure the working conditions (i.e. salaries, etc) aren't near what we are accustomed to in the United States. For this, they truly deserve to be commended.

Room Tip: Huge tip for families: the swim up bars are great for families with small children who still take na...
1  Thank Brett03
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear Mr. Brett,

We are pleased to read that your overall experience at Paradisus La Esmeralda was great and the effort shown by our staff to please your requests in order to get your full satisfaction was well worth it. Now you are perceptive about our strong commitment to do everything that is in our hands to maintain our guests happy during their stay.

Of course that Henrry, Luis, Agustín and Hiliberto were informed since your sent us your last email, where you expressed your recognition to their outstanding work, and that nowadays they are a significant part of your whole Paradisus experience.

Mr. Brett, we are satisfied that we were able to recover your trust and that our main goal was achieved. We would be honored if you decide to come back for your next trip to the Riviera Maya and remember that your home at the Mexican Caribbean is Paradisus.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

I want to thank the team of Paradisus for their hard work, patience, and wonderful service. We were planning a birthday party for a group of 50 people, and the experience was as painless as possible thanks to the wonderful staff. We gathered 50 of our friends and family for one week. Our trip was everything that we expected and more. Each part was executed absolutely perfectly, and every single person enjoyed the experience.
When you think of all-inclusive, you think of bland and boring food. However, Paradisus exceeded all expectations. Each restaurant was delicious, the staff was extremely accommodating, and each of our requests was met with a smile. Every part of the hotel is thought out to the last detail: the food, the service, and the ambiance.
It seemed like a daunting task to plan a night for 50 people where you have little control because of the distance. However, the staff was able to extract the exact vision that we had in mind through our email correspondence and phone calls. On the night of the actually party in Passion (which is elegant, chic, and delicious), we were pleasantly surprised that everything was so on point. We didn't have to make any kind of panicked changes because everything went according to plan. Thank you very much for everything once again, it was a pleasure working with you and your team. We will definitely be visiting again!

3  Thank Elina F
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you took to share with us your resent stay at Paradisus La Esmeralda. It`s our goal to exceed our guests expectations and to make every moment unforgettable as part of our LUXExclusive experience.

We are glad to know you and your 50 invitees had a great time at the resort, specially at “Passion by Martin Berasategui” restaurant and enjoy every minute with your family and friends. The service provided by our amazing staff made that night possible and we are proud of all of them as committed people to their work.

Thank you very much for your notes and we will be waiting for your return to Paradisus Playa del Carmen.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Just got back on July 12th from a 5 night stay and wanted to share certain things that I felt might help other families. Firstly this is a great property for families, we had a lot of fun and would give it all 5 stars if we did not have a horrible experience with the family concierge service. We arrived on July 6th at 6pm or so and were taken to the Family Concierge section for check in we were not offered any hot towels or drinks as many had reviewed earlier and after much haggling we were taken to our 2 bedroom swim up and were told that all amenities that came with family concierge will be moved to our room ASAP. At around 930 when no one showed up we went to the FC and were told that everything will be moved over the next day, Alcohol bottles, Kids bathrobes and slippers, kids amenities etc. The next morning nothing comes in and we go back again and again we were told not to worry someone will bring it. Day 2 evening we get kids slippers and bathrobes. Then on day 4 we get the Alcohol and kids amenities (bug rep, kids toothpaste, sunblock, etc) Also when we went to FC to ask for a daily schedule for activities we were told to watch channel 1 on tv as the resort does not offer paper schedule anymore but later found out from other families that was not true and they did get a schedule. Long story short, great resort, great food/restaurants service was good everywhere else and the food at Mole was out of this world also wanted to mention Rigaberto at North Ave bar really took great care of us but again avoid FC if u can specially if u get an upgrade as by the time the transfer everything to ur room it will be time to leave and avoid FC specially in summer as in winter u get access to the heated pool.

8  Thank AbhijeetSingh1
Management response:Responded 14 July 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience at Paradisus La Esmeralda – Family Conciege.

We are terribly sorry to read that the Family Concierge area didn’t surpass your expectations. Your comments have been sent to the manager in charge and corrective actions will be taken to avoid situations regarding the lack of information and monitoring our guests´ requests.

On the other hand, we are pleased to read you think the resort is great for families, with a lot of activities, great food and beverages variety for all tastes, and in general the warm service provided by our staff. Thank you for your recognition to the service provided by Rigoberto at the North Avenue bar, his caring touch was important to you and we will let him know about it.

Once again, thank you for your preference and we will be glad if you give us another opportunity to have you as a guest in your future visit to Playa del Carmen.