“Worst Customer Service I've Ever Seen!!!!”

Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Ranked #33 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Worst Customer Service I've Ever Seen!!!!”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

My first stay at a Paradisus Hotel was in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. It was the best experience I've ever had. So I've decided to pick Paradisus again. This time I've brought 10 friends with me. Boy was I wrong about them this time. The front desk is the most important part of the business, and the staffs in this particular hotel have no clue how to treat their guests. I was there last week, and on our arrival, non of our rooms were ready, plus we had to wait 3 hours. It took the reception girls a while to come to a conclusion on what to do with us. We were waiting around with no one to offer us anything to drink, no apology, no nothing. Then they finally decided to offer us a room upgrade for the unpleasant experience. So we just put all the unpleasant experience aside and cooled off with a Margarita. Our stay there was amazing, staffs were excellent throughout the hotel, Guess Services were helpful, and so was our Butler. But our trip just had to be RUINED ON OUR LAST DAY AT CHECK OUT AGAIN!!! During our stay, we had order several bottles of Moet Champagne and paid for all of them in full with cash. One night we ordered 3 Moet bottles for my engagment proposal party on the beach with a table set up package. All of which was also paid for in full with a receipt. But at check out, we were forced to sign and pay AGAIN. I pulled out my receipt showed that everything was paid in cash. I was told they have no record of it, I would have to go find my butler myself, find guess services and get them to settle it for me. I had never encounter such terrible service in my life, especially from a 5 star hotel. To make matters worst our bus ride to the airport was waiting for us, but they eventually left because our check out was taking too long. I no longer could handle arguing with the reception girl, so I asked her to call a Manager to handle the situation, no one showed up. We were stranded, being accused for not paying, and it seems no one cares. Eventually they got hold of my Butler, who was our only proof that we paid for everything. When they figured out they were at fault we still got no apology, no nothing, not even arrangements to get to the airport. In short, no guest should ever have to be put in a situation where they have to defend themselves for an hour over non sense at a 5 star hotel!!!!! We almost miss our flight and have to pay out of our own pocket for a taxi because the front desk was giving us a hard time. When we pay for a 5 star, and spend more money for bottle services we expect optimal customer service, which we did not get. Never coming back again!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank huong n
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid review. We appreciate your comments as it allow us to better understand your experience at the hotel

We regret very much that we did not impressed you with some of our services. We assure you, that the Front Desk Manager has been informed of the particular observations, and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible. Please, be confident that what occurred to you is not at all a common situation and in no way representative or our overall service.

On the other hand, we are glad to read that the service provided from Cinthia your butler and Guest Service Departmen was as you deserve, also that you had an amazing stay in our resort.

If you decide to give us other opportunity will be a pleasure to host you again and change your perception.

Quality Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,415)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Montreal
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We loved the Paradisus !! This was my second time at playa del carmen . We went to the Barcelo Maya palace the luxe witch was also super nice for the $$ will do a review on that one very soon !! Soo ya wow !! wow !! The service was just super !! except .. at arrival i paid and extra for family concierge , i was never told family concierge is access to the headed pool and the Hydro grill , you have to pay an other extra to have a concierge !! I was never told that .. whatever that was just the only bad thing about this vacation !! Kids pool with the pirate ship Super nice !! We really enjoy the beds around the pool . Towels !! you can take 10 if you want !! Amazing !! food around the pool area Super nice !! Club sandwich ;) This resort is so small you can walk everywhere around in NO little time . Best Best !! Family concierge i`ve seen Manolo !! Our friends had him and he help us alot Ask for him he`s the BEST !! Soo ok !! The show`s at night !! WoW ! ! The rock show for me was the best and Micheal Jackson !! Live from our Jacuzzi !!! Rooms !!! Super nice very chic !! The hole resort is super CHIC !!! The Food was just great , sushi , mexican and the brazil restaurent excellent !! I paid a little extra at the sushi and got a mountain of sushi :) Super nice evening !! The kids Club Number One !! Very safe !!Serious we tried everything beach , room service , bars , WE loved everything about this resort we really really want to go back very soon especially my daughter but it`s time for new culture Adios Mexico next stop Jamaica :) !!! Thank you for a really special vacation Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda !!!

3 Thank LvLDrE
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comment on Trip Advisor.

It is an honor for us to read that you had an amazing vacation in our Paradisus La Esmeralda, we are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the benefits of the Family Concierge, as you mention it is our exclusive part of the Families area, also we are very glad to read that you enjoyed our facilities, the pool area, the kids zone, the night entertainment, especially de Michael Jackson Show, our culinary experience and the service provided from our staff, and from Manolo.

All our team is very committed to provide an excellent service and assist all our guests to transform your stay in memorable moments. Thank you very much for mention it.

We hope to host you here in the future or in any Paradisus, will be an honor.

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 14 May 2013

While waiting for my car service I am writing this review from the lobby of the resort. We booked for rooms, three families w/children and my mother in one room. From day one everything was exceptional.

The resort was modern, well maintained, and beautiful. The environmental team was constantly working hard to keep it clean and spotless.

We made reservations to all the restaurants, and in each and everyone the service was outstanding. The staff went out of their way to satisfy everyone of our needs. The food was better than in any other resort I went.

We spent a lot of time at the kids pool because we had 3 toddlers with us and it was wonderful. While at the cabanas we constantly had staff stop by and offer us refreshments and food. (Outstanding).

The night entertainment was wonderful, every night there was something to see, and it wasn't cheese things. Example, last night it was the Circus show which was great.

The beach was small yet not crowded. Though the water had some seaweed it was ver clean and nice to swim.

The employees who cleaned our rooms were amazing.

I recommend this resort to anyone, specially those with children. Very kid friendly.

1 Thank Tringa M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience in our Paradisus La Esmeralda.

We are very pleased to read that you had an outstanding vacation in our resort; it is an honor to know that you enjoyed, our facilities, the décor of the resort, the pool area, the night entertainment, the beach and the service from our staff.

Our mission is to provide an excellent service and to please all our guests in every possible way, we are very happy to read that we achieved our mission during your holidays. Our staff it is very committed to assist all our guests and always provide a quality service, thank you very much for mention it.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again and make you live again The Paradisus Experience.

New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My company took 50 employees to this resort for a Presidents Club trip...it was a wonderful experience. Honestly I am not sure why they say La Perla is adults only as I saw PLENTY of children walking around there. The pool at Esmeralda where we stayed was well kept, big, and fun for all ages. The buffet for breakfast at Nao was very good, with PLENTY of options. I also did hibachi at Bana one night. The food was good but our waiter that night was terrine. Would still recommend though just because the meal was delicious. The rooms are ALL A nice size and some have better views then others. ASo, no one warned me so I will warn you...this time of year the ocean has seaweed mites. You may or may not be able to see them but IMMEDIATELY shower when your out of the water. That's why they are all over the property. I wasn't given this heads up and am now on antibiotics and Benadryl for the rash and intense itching.

Room Tip: The walk up swim rooms are AMAZING!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Aa0101
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

We are very glad to read that you and your group had a nice vacation with us, we are very happy to learn that you enjoyed the pool area, the room and some of our restaurants.

Our guests’ opinions are very important for us, because thank to your observations we can know what we have to improve in order to provide a better service, and we can know in which areas we have to work, your notes have been send to the departments involved, to verify the process, for example about your waiter in the restaurant.

Please, if you decide to come back to Playa del Carmen, will be an honor to host you.

Alana Becerril
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Our family (2 adults, 2 kids ages 8 & 6) just came home from a week at the Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda (family side of the resort). This is our 2nd experience with the Paradisus brand. Two years ago, we stayed at the Paradisus Palma Real The Reserve in Punta Cana, DR. We had such an amazing time in the DR and at the resort that we wanted to check out the Mayan Riviera with the kids and stay at the Paradisus Playa Del Carmen. The resort is a little over 30 minutes away from the Cancun airport. We booked our travel through AMEX and reserved a private van to pick us up from the airport and take us to the resort (highly recommend). We booked through Olympus Tours - very professional! The resort is in Playa Del Carmen and has a very urban feel to it as you drive through neighborhoods to get to the entrance to the resort. Their is a gate & security at the entrance - so very safe though. The La Esmeralda side (family) has a beautiful entrance with modern furnishings and an amazing fragrance that greets you as you step out of the van. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with smiling staff always willing to help! The check-in process was a breeze and in a matter of a few minutes...we were taken to our room.
**Rooms**
We booked a One Bedroom Master Swim-Up suite...it was very large with a small foyer (closet and place to put a suitcase), kitchenette (sink, microwave, countertop, stocked fridge, etc), large dining table & chairs, living area with TV (pull out couch for the kids), large master bedroom with comfy king bed and TV and a really nice bathroom. We were on the first floor - room 2030 with an entrance into the pool (swim up suite). We saw these types of rooms in the DR and thought it would be fun. The kids really enjoyed this feature...just being able to take a dip in the pool right outside our room. The spacious patio had a table, 4 chairs, love seat and a jacuzzi tub. The kids took tubbies almost every day to wash off the chlorine, sand, etc from the day's fun! We did not upgrade to Family Concierge...didn't feel it was worth the extra $$$. We had no problem getting dinner reservations each night (contact guest services in the main lobby each day to make resi's). Our kids enjoyed the main pool each day, so no need for the special FC pool.
**Pools, Special Activities, Beach**
Our room was just off the main pool - the kids really loved the blow-up Obstacle Course they had all week in the pool. Lots of fun climbing on it. They also used the kids pool too - with the pirate ship, small water slides, etc. While my husband and I enjoy the beach and ocean, our kids love the pool (and they always win that battle). The beach was a short walk away but not too bad. The water was rough - so not as relaxing to take a dip in the ocean but it wasn't a big deal for us. The sand was soft and the color of the water was amazing - bright blue!!! We rented wave runners and the kids thought that was awesome. We also took out sea kayaks - fun but a little rough in the water. My 8 year old had a hard time paddling with me! My daughter and I enjoyed the Zumba, Water Aerobics and Hip Hop lessons...we also sat through a "Making Guacamole" lesson as well that was interesting. Luis at the pool was awesome...he was very attentive and always brought us margaritas and Tecate Light's for us!!! The staff at the pool work REALLY hard....they were always cleaning up, helping guests, etc. No request was too much...
**Restaurants**
For breakfast, we ate at the buffet (Naos) each morning and it was delicious. The made to order omelets were awesome. Lunch was usually by the pool at Sunrise Grill...yummy ceviche and fresh salads/sandwiches. The kids loved the nachos and hot dogs. Easy!! We had some good dinners as well...for us, it's about the kids & what is easy for them - each of the restaurants have a special kids menu with chicken fingers, pasta, pizza, etc. We really appreciated it! Vento was awesome - Mediterranean style food. The Market was good too - although the mosquitos were bad the two nights we ate here so that was a bummer. But the food was good! The asian restaurant (name escapes me) was awesome - great hibachi show! The food was fresh and very good.

I only have a couple negatives...
1. The Kids Club in the DR was just outside the family pool - so it made it easy to be a part of some of the activities and keep tabs on the kids all at the same time. Our kids utilized the DR kids club almost every day. This trip, the Kids Club was in the main lobby and it felt very removed from the main part of the resort. Our kids do NOT like to be dropped off at unknown places so that was not an option for us this trip. We did not experience any of the Kids Club activities in Mexico.
2. There were several weddings, receptions, work events going on while were staying at La Esmeralda. The noise was very loud from the receptions and they were set up pool-side in the family section of the resort. I was surprised that they didn't have a special section to host group gatherings...a place that was removed from families trying to get some sleep with their young kids.
3. The 3rd issue is NOT the resorts fault at all....but there were several large groups (here for weddings) staying at the resort. They basically took over the pool area, swim up bar and lounge chairs near the kids pool. Super annoying for a family who was trying to relax and just enjoy a vacation. There was nothing that the resort could do - but it was just annoying to listen to the groups yell at each other from across the pool and crowd the swim up bar, wait staff, etc.

We are a family of 4 from Boston who loves to go on nice vacations...this resort met (and exceeded ) all of our needs! It's a very luxurious place with amazing staff & service. We hope to return some day (soon!!).
p.s. We also took a Taxi to Playa Del Carmen and shopped 5th Avenue. Fun! Another trip we took outside of the resort, was a half day excursion to Tulum. It was HOT...and unfortunately, we could not climb on the ruins (as my son was hoping to do). They had them all roped off due to vandalism a few years ago (totally understand).

Hope this review helps!!!!

10 Thank WalFam170
Dear Guest,

First we would like to thank you for your preference in our Paradisus Brand.

We are pleased to learn that your experience in our Paradisus La Esmeralda since the beginning was as you deserved, also we are very glad to read that you enjoyed your One

Bedroom Master Suite Swim up, as you noticed it is one of our best rooms, the pool area, to learn that your little ones enjoyed the pirate pool, the activities, the different restaurants that we have in the property and the service provided from our staff and specially from Luis.

We are very committed to provide a quality service and with the total satisfaction of our guests. That is the reason that all your observations are vital for us, because this is the only way that we can know in what areas we have to work in order to provide an excellent service, thank you very much for your notes, I assure you that we will be working on it.

Will be a truly honor for us host you again in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We are Club Melia members and it is our second time at this Paradisus Resort.
The staff at Club Melia was incredible.
Alejandra was answering all our concerns and questions prior to coming to Mexico via e-mails.
Griselda made all reservations for us before our arrival and was a great help with everything during our stay.
Thank you very much.
We enjoyed our time tremendously.
We love that the mangroves have been preserved and we can walk on wonderful bridges among the trees and listen to the birds and see flowers.
We where happy that the beach is narrow and no one will sit in front of us and block the view.
We loved even more that you can walk along the beach for hours in both directions.
We had a very spacious one bedroom suite with comfortable beds, large bathroom with a rain shower and an enormous balcony.
We ate at every restaurant and at the buffet, food is exquisite everywhere. We enjoyed all of them - natural and fresh with a lot of choices..
Patricia, at the Grill Restaurant, was coming at every lunch time to ask peoples opinions on how and what to change for the better.
Manager at the buffet in the morning was checking frequently that the food was fresh and replenished.
We really enjoyed the wine tasting event which featured Mexican wines.
The Fire Show was my favorite at the first visit so I went again and enjoyed it again very much.
We used Fitness rooms and it was very good with everything you would need and very big.
The weather was perfect and we enjoyed swimming in the beautiful, warm, turquoise ocean water.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your preference in the Melía Company.

We are happy to know that you had a nice a second holiday in our Paradisus La Esmeralda, it is an honor for us to read that you enjoyed our facilities, your room, the culinary experience that we offer, the beach area, the night entertainment and the service provided from our team.

Patricia, Alejandra and Griselda will be notified about your mention, they will be very happy to learn that they helped you during your stay with us. All our team has a strong committed with our guests in order to provide an excellent service.

Once again thank you for share your experience during your vacations in our resort, will be a pleasure to have you here in many more getaways.

The Hague
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I have been with my family for 9 nights in this hotel. The experience was excellent. The installations of the hotel are wonderful: very nice decoration (you are gladly surprised from the moment you enter the main lobby), an excellent disposition of the different areas and a perfect maintenance (which is not surprising when you realize how much staff is there around taking care of the installations).

We had reserved a room at the Family Concierge area. Really recommendable option, because you have not only the special service of the Concierge but additional amenities, reception, swimming pool and pool bar. Our Concierge was Olga, and she did an excellent job (thanks again, Olga!). She took care of everything we could need (she made our reservations for the restaurants and amended when we wished), so we did not need to worry about anything. A really good service and experience for us! I would not to like forget to mention the surprises you find on a daily basis in your room, both for me and my wife and for our children, that were an additional value to our stay. Really good work!

One really strong point of this hotel is the offer on restaurants. We did not visit all of them (we repeated two of them and we missed one dinner because we arrived late from a trip), but the ones we did were really good. We repeated Mole (after the first dinner I decided to repeat there -because of being of Mexican style- and cancel the reservation in Vento, the Mediterranean one -more familiar style for us-) and we loved it. I only remember the name of Cecilio (sorry for this), who was our "mesero" the first night, but the two we had were excellent. For the second visit they prepared a special menu for us (surprise of the WONDERFUL chef -I also forgot the name; my fault-) and that was really tempting for trying a third time. We could not make it -we did not want to cancel the other reservations and we did not arrive on time the day we were out on a trip-, but that is another incentive to come back to this hotel. The other restaurants we visited were Fuego (absolutely lovely experience: food was "magnifique", ambiance really appealing and our "mesero" at the same very high level as in Mole), Passion (a must; no need to add too much, because you already expect what you are going to get from the moment you read that the hotel has a restaurant of this high level; excellent culinaire experience from the beginning till the end! I would suggest to follow the recommendation of the sommelier when choosing your wine; I was surprised with a wonderful Mexican red wine), Rodizzio (very good, but not so special for us as the others; anyway the quality of the meat was excellent) and Bana (we went twice, one in a teppanyaki table and one a la carte -both times with the children; they loved the teppanyaki show-). I have to say that this restaurant choice offered by the hotel is excellent. This way you do not get the feeling you sometimes have in some hotels of certain repetition in your food.

We liked a lot the disposition of the hotel and its adaptation to the mangrove. It is true that you have to walk a bit from the family concierge to the beach (only a bit, do not be scared) because you have to walk to the bridge crossing the mangrove, but it is something to be appreciated. The kids (and the parents) loved the presence of animals in the mangrove, which was another incentive for us (we saw iguanas, racoons, coatis and crocodiles!).

We divided our lunches between the beach and the Hidro Grill. At the beach we were magnificently attended by Luis -most of our stay- and Guadalupe -the last day- both for drinks and for food brought to our beach sofa -there is a special area at the beach reserved for the Family Concierge clients, but the beach service is for all guests-, so it was a lovely and relaxed experience -they really work hard to attend the clients; thanks again for that-. At the Hidro Grill we were attended by Marcos, Pablo and Oscar: again a very good experience; very good informal food from the grill (meat, fish and vegetables), very good salads and exceptional service. We only visited the swimming pool as such at the end of the day (we prefer the beach), but it was the perfect final touch to our "sunny day", having a drink at the swim-up bar in preparation for our dinner and seeing our children enjoy in the swimming pool with some of the friends they made there.

For the kids you have the Kids Zone. Vanessa, Yessi, Lucia, Jazmine... (sorry, I do not remember the names of all the great staff there) did a great job! Our children loved the activities they organized and loved the time spent there. We had to fight everyday with them to be able to spend some time together, because they wanted to go all the time to the Kids Zone!

The room was also really good. Very good equipment (flat TV, Nespresso machine, equipped fridge, CD-DVD-iPod player), very big bathroom, jacuzzi in the terrace and elegant decoration. We chose a see-view room, so you have a good view over the mangrove because they are in the top floor. There is Wifi access throughout the whole hotel (not at the beach, but that is logical), but the signal strength in the room was excellent!

Definitively a hotel to recommend and to visit again. I must say that, taking into account that it is running for a little more than one year, I have the feeling that it is operating really smoothly. Not surprising after all, after seeing how much staff they have and the degree of professionalism and commitment we noticed in all of them (from the restaurants to the bars, from the reception to the Family Concierge and the Guest Help...); always with a smile, always helpful and really polite people. This has the logic result of a 5 star treatment to the guests. Good work!

Taking into account that the area (Riviera Maya) has a lot of things to visit (because of the children and because we wanted some relax we did not fill our stay with trips and visits) and the excellent experience at this hotel, we will most probably come back. We left with the feeling that our stay was too short!

1 Thank Ralphroy
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience in our Paradisus La Esmeralda

It is an honor for us to read that you had an excellent vacations and to know that you and your family enjoyed every detail of our property, starting for the main entrance, our facilities, the room, the benefits of our exclusive area Family Concierge, the different dining options, the beach area, the pool area and the service provided from all our staff. All the details that you mentioned are attributes of our Paradisus Brand; we are very pleased that you enjoyed.

Olga, Cecilio, Luis, Guadalupe, Marcos, Pablo, Oscar, Vanessa, Lucía y Jazmín, will know about your recognition, thank you very much for mention them.

We are very committed with the ecology and the mangroves are very important for us, we are glad to see that you appreciated it.

Our main goal it is the total satisfaction of our guests and to create a memorable moments, we are very happy to read that we accomplish that goal with you and your family.

Will a truly pleasure to host you again in the future and make you repeat the Paradisus Experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,201 reviews

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!